Main Menu

Food, Food, Food...

Started by Raffaele the Amigan, September 12, 2010, 06:06:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chocofreak13

well, this is still america, so at least it's not weird that you spoke english. ^^;
click to make it bigger

Bella

Quote from: SleepyD on May 03, 2013, 11:27:31 PM
Vermont curry has a touch of sweetness to it. I used SBC's curry in mine, and I added diced apples and maple syrup to mine for a similar effect.

That sounds really good. The lightly-sweetened flavor is one of the reasons I want to try Vermont Curry, but if i end up ordering a different brand I'll remember that trick. :3

QuoteToday's dinner was at an izakaya:
Sapporo draft beer
Braised pork
Raw octopus in wasabi sauce
Fried mochi in tempura sauce
Salmon carpaccio
Takoyaki
Black honey purin

And I tweeted this earlier, but it's damn weird being in a small, intimate izakaya where the patrons are all speaking non-english language, more than half of whom are speaking Japanese. Including the white people. lolol

And I'm the asian kid, right off work, asking for the english menu. lol

B'aww. ;^;

Language difficulties aside, I hope you had a good time there. The food certainly sounds delicious! *v*

Nichi

@Sleepy: It's just basic beef-flavored ramen you can buy at Wal-Mart for like $.25 a pack. I haven't had it in forever *w*

SleepyD

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on May 03, 2013, 11:37:59 PM
well, this is still america, so at least it's not weird that you spoke english. ^^;
I did want to speak Japanese though, but only knowing bits and pieces didn't really help my confidence. In my head I wanted to say 「お勧めはなんですか?」"What do you recommend?" (I asked in English instead)

It did kinda accidentally come out when I asked for "takoyaki" instead of "fried octopus balls". But I'm sure the patrons that go to restaurants on this street in San Diego all know what that is anyway, English menu be damned.

But the purin. oh my gah, I don't have much of a sweet tooth, but that's the best purin that I've ever had.
Quote from: Bella on May 03, 2013, 11:42:11 PM
B'aww. ;^;

Language difficulties aside, I hope you had a good time there. The food certainly sounds delicious! *v*
Oh I had an awesome time. It's a bit expensive, but I'll be visiting again.

And it wasn't so much language difficulties as it was feeling so alone. haha The waitresses were bilingual and fluent in both English and Japanese.
Quote from: PentiumMMX on May 03, 2013, 11:43:16 PM
@Sleepy: It's just basic beef-flavored ramen you can buy at Wal-Mart for like $.25 a pack. I haven't had it in forever *w*
Dammit, we need to get you some REAL ramen, man.

Nichi

Indeed. I'd love to try the real stuff *w*

Bella

@Sleepy: At least you weren't totally alone as an English speaker. ^^;;

@Pent: It's not as good as real ramen*, buuuuut ... there are things you can do to make instant ramen a little tastier / more interesting:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/03/ramen-hacks-30-easy-ways-to-upgrade-your-instant-noodles-japanese-what-to-do-with-ramen.html

Personally, one of my favorite quick and easy meals is a bowl of ramen with some vegetables and an egg mixed in.

*Speaking hypothetically because I've never had authentic ramen either.

Chocofreak13

@sleepy: i know the feeling. speaking a language when you're not fluent enough to respond to any situation feels awkward. it's why i don't speak the japanese i know. i'm hoping to get over that, if only to speak japanese to myself. -w-;

also, apples? i assume you were making japanese-style curry?
click to make it bigger

SleepyD

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on May 04, 2013, 12:48:43 AM
@sleepy: i know the feeling. speaking a language when you're not fluent enough to respond to any situation feels awkward. it's why i don't speak the japanese i know. i'm hoping to get over that, if only to speak japanese to myself. -w-;

also, apples? i assume you were making japanese-style curry?
Yes, Japanese curry. Very mild curry, even the spicy ones. lol
There's a lot of Japanese markets and restaurants here, so I'm spoiled for choice.

The thing is though, with language, you have to be able to tolerate mistakes. One will never learn a language unless it is used. I can elaborate more on the topic, but this thread is for food, so I'll leave it there. :3

Chocofreak13

once i can hold a conversation in it, i'll be more comfortable using it. slowly i'm getting there.

i've been meaning to make this japanese curry recipe i have. ik bella already asked this, but what kind of curry spice do you use? i've never made curry before so i'm wondering if block/powder is better and what brand to get. :\

EDIT: Mango Peach Gingerale.
click to make it bigger

Nichi

I'm trying out a Mexican apple soda I bought at Wal-Mart earlier. It's actually pretty good; not as good as Jones Soda, of course, but still good

Chocofreak13

i dumped the last of the mango peach juice into a ginger ale. it's pretty good.

banquet mac and cheese, and a bag of fruit smiles. not as sweet as i had hoped. :\
click to make it bigger

stewartsage

Last things I had was an omelet and a sandvich.

Chocofreak13

coca-cola for breakfast. last thing i ate was a banquet chicken nugget and fries meal.
click to make it bigger

Nichi

About to have a waffle :3

stewartsage

That was some awful orange chicken.  Thankfully the spicy chicken bites were alright.