Network Connection Issues (Resolved k thx)

Started by Lt. Surge, August 17, 2010, 07:06:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lt. Surge

I have a problem that I rly need help with...

It involves a Wireless LAN connection, and occasional connection drops. After the connection drops, it comes back a minute or so later. It happens with all devices that use WiFi, including my PS3 and my father's laptop.

This is a problem because I aim to be playing TimeSplitters: Future Perfect on my PS3 via LAN on XLink, a program that allows you to play old and new games for consoles over a LAN connection after bridging connections over Ethernet cables between a console and any computer with an Internet connection. (but I have already tested this process before over XLink, so my PS3 is not causing the problems, nor do I think it's my laptop).

I think my router is causing the issues. It's been happening since a few months ago, before I even heard of XLink (so that isn't the case, either).

Is there anything I can do? I've played once over XLink and in-game, about 20minutes in, the connection dropped and it's super annoying reconnecting.

Hmm...
http://forums.speedguide.net/showthread.php?t=203035
It does happen more often at night... but that's when most of my friends are online >:L
Skype Me: LtSurge695

svx

Definitely the router, if it's happening with lots of different devices...

Ehh...

I dunno about the "happening more at night" thing...  Just a coincidence? Hey, is it a Linksys? This would be the third time I've heard of a Linksys acting that way. Had to replace the one at my friend's house...

I recommend D-Link. They're actually not bad. And they're cheap. You can grab a nice one at Walmart, but... money... is... rather, spending money sucks, when it's to fix things that should work to begin with.

Take your frustration out on your router with a(n) SPAS-12. They go for around $1200 on Gunbroker, or quite a bit less at gun shows. Shells are cheap too. Routers are cheaper than SPAS-12 shotguns, but routers aren't as fun. TimeSplitters isn't as fun either. And you can get cans of Dragon Joose at Kum and Go for like, $2. Those'll get you drunk so that you can appreciate your $1200 shotgun more as you unload it upon your broken router.

And they have ginseng. And stuff. Umm...

Hey... Nejin? Is it weird that all I think about is guns and booze and computers?

NejinOniwa

QuoteHey... Nejin? Is it weird that all I think about is guns and booze and computers?
Most certainly not. My stomach seems to be housing a dragon's nest, however, so I'm getting a bit unsure of things in general right now.

As for D-Link, I've had nothing but problems with their products. Avoid them if you can. Netgear or something or other would be a better choice.
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Chocofreak13

in all my time using the netgear wireless (or sometimes wired) card(s) upstairs, i have never had a problem with them. the wireless card was gifted by a mac geek; that alone should show the quality of them.

um, we use a motorola here, and we get the occasional problem, but i chalk that up to vista or my dad (or both). otherwise it works fine.

if i were you, i'd start by checking the obvious, all cables connected, plugged in right, ect.....after that, check the antenna? the one on my wireless card upstairs has a tendency to fall off sometimes.

wish i could help more, but computer tech class was about 3 years ago or so....
click to make it bigger

PizzaDrill

Quote from: "Lt. Surge"I have a problem that I rly need help with...

It involves a Wireless LAN connection, and occasional connection drops. After the connection drops, it comes back a minute or so later. It happens with all devices that use WiFi, including my PS3 and my father's laptop.

This is a problem because I aim to be playing TimeSplitters: Future Perfect on my PS3

Wait, what? Are you playing the PS2 version? Do you have the xbox version? I effing love that game. Also, mad props for the avatar.

Lt. Surge

Thank you for your advice, everyone. I went back through the common problems to see what I could dig up, and it turns out I just needed to replace something.

The distance I have to cover to connect Ethernet to my Laptop/PS3 is about 15metres. Only until recently... I had been using a bunch of shorter cables and extension couplers. This ended up being the culprit in another incident where I couldn't connect at all.

Long story short, I went to eBay and bought two 15m Ethernet cables, and the problem(s) were virtually solved.

However, there are cases at night where it once or twice drops connection, but this happens via Wireless, too, so I know it's the router. It doesn't happen every night, though, so it's stable enough for me to not require a new router or anything.

But just to clarify, it's a Cisco.

Lt. Surge

Quote from: "PizzaDrill"

This is a problem because I aim to be playing TimeSplitters: Future Perfect on my PS3

Wait, what? Are you playing the PS2 version? Do you have the xbox version? I effing love that game. Also, mad props for the avatar.

;012

Um I said on PS3, it's the PS2 version. But ya thank you! I see you have XBOX, but which version do you have? Or do you have both? (I don't have the XBOX version)

PizzaDrill

Quote from: "Lt. Surge"

;012

Um I said on PS3, it's the PS2 version. But ya thank you! I see you have XBOX, but which version do you have? Or do you have both? (I don't have the XBOX version)

I only have GCN and xbox versions. I could get the PS2 version if I wanted to though.

Lt. Surge

I only have GCN and xbox versions. I could get the PS2 version if I wanted to though.

Well you obviously don't have to, honestly can't spare the cash for an XBOX though ^_^;

PizzaDrill

Well you obviously don't have to, honestly can't spare the cash for an XBOX though ^_^;
My PS2, Xbox and GCN are all modded. take your pick.

Lt. Surge

My PS2, Xbox and GCN are all modded. take your pick.

So you have a PS2?
With working Ethernet/LAN drivers?