Now Playing...

Started by Agelu, December 20, 2005, 04:34:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptBrenden

Humm.. the only time the ring on mine went red is when it got the incorrect voltage in Iraq... Im suprized i didnt fry it actually.  the power brick still smells funny...

anyhow, I was at best buy the other day picking up Rozen Maidendisc one and I floated by the pc games see if they had any deals.  Found first to fight and starship troopers in a 2 pack for 20 bucks, so I thought Id get it.

... i think starship troopers could be the worst FPS ever produced.  i think i killed alittle of myself just attempting to play it.  Besides graphics from a long forgotten age, it uses horrible quality ripped videos from the movies for its cut sceans.  The npcs just spout random movie lines, and worst of all is the controls.  i mean.. ive got one of the fastest machines Ive ever used, and there is a noteable delay after you push a movement button before you move, if you move at all, and then when you do move you seem to move in units. tap the forward button and he will take like 6 steps forward everytime. the NPCS move more fluid then you!  Level design is horrible, and to top it off, but the end of the first level the gameplay was stale.  Seriosly i used to think that a starship troopers game would be fun, then it relized.. there are so many enemys you dont even have to aim. just hold down the trigger and sweep the cross hairs back and forth.  there is no skill in it, just get as many rounds as you can down range. heck instead of giving you a melee buttong or pistol as your back up, they gave you a weak short range submachine gun with unlimited amo because of how many rounds you have to put down range.  

Im still trying First To Fight.  Just like americas army, it was designed and developed my the USMC to be an acurate real to life shooter. So far, I feel they have acomplished that.. to some level.  There is still a degree of the game that made it feel like it was made by the smallest bidder (its the military way!) so graphics and animation are still a bit... off.  Though the game is a few years old... it was released on the xbox after all.  However im impressed on the AI in it.  Not a shooter for doom type fans.  You move a slow realistic pace, with your 3 team mates.  Just like a real USMC fireteam you travel with 4 men, fire team leader (you) with m16a4 and 203, a automatic rifleman with M249 saw, and then two more marines with M16s.  as you move at the head the other marines will move with you covering all directions. for the most part they dont need orders of any kind to properly position themselves and cover their teamates.  you can give a few orders, such as supress a cirtain target, hold position and such like that, but they are pretty smart and do what you would have to tell NPCs to do in other games.  Heck when you stack on a room ready to make entry they adjust to where ever you go into the room or stack in the column to cover as much of the room as possible.  its got great AI, at least for teamates, it just suffers the downfalls of a game with a small budget. no mega millions to polish it up..
"YOU IDIOT!!" -Kasen Ibara

Commisions Available - Send PM for details.

Darknight_88

Quote from: "CaptBrenden"
... i think starship troopers could be the worst FPS ever produced.  i think i killed alittle of myself just attempting to play it.  Besides graphics from a long forgotten age, it uses horrible quality ripped videos from the movies for its cut sceans.  The npcs just spout random movie lines, and worst of all is the controls.  i mean.. ive got one of the fastest machines Ive ever used, and there is a noteable delay after you push a movement button before you move, if you move at all, and then when you do move you seem to move in units. tap the forward button and he will take like 6 steps forward everytime. the NPCS move more fluid then you!  Level design is horrible, and to top it off, but the end of the first level the gameplay was stale.  Seriosly i used to think that a starship troopers game would be fun, then it relized.. there are so many enemys you dont even have to aim. just hold down the trigger and sweep the cross hairs back and forth.  there is no skill in it, just get as many rounds as you can down range. heck instead of giving you a melee buttong or pistol as your back up, they gave you a weak short range submachine gun with unlimited amo because of how many rounds you have to put down range.  

God bless Internet game reviews :D
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/starshiptroopers/index.html

A Starship Troopers RTS would rule, though. The only problem is that I'd be awfully similar to Starcraft (except for the lack of Protoss. Skinnies aren't anywhere near their level).

So I got Vista and got Halo 2 borrowed from a friend (lol, in exchange, I gave him Halo: combat Evolved for a whole month).
And this is what I got:

WTF MAN, WTF?!
I know, my video card it's not the best, but It met the minimum requirements of memory, 3D acc and Pixel Shader...Should at least be running on low settings. My old PC could run Half Life 2 on low settings, this laptop  runs Half Life 2 in mid-low settings without problems.
Then I went to play Halo 2 at my friends house, and the graphics were not bad, but they were WORST than Half life 2 on my PC...

wtf with the requirements? WTF?!

CaptBrenden

well i didnt have the liberty of checking internet reviews in the store T_T

and you should be whipped for even contemplating running the most holy halo on low settings

NejinOniwa

No, you should be whipped for getting vista, konoyaro.
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

CaptBrenden

Ah you forget, me and darknight are part of the united front of windows users against dirty apples and sneaky pinguins.  I have a machine that runs vista as well

NejinOniwa

Oh, is that so? Then forget what i said. You both should be whipped, keelhauled and sent offship by the plank for your sins.

AND drenched in sweetwater.

Darknight_88

Quote from: "CaptBrenden"
and you should be whipped for even contemplating running the most holy halo on low settings
better to run it on low settings than not running it at all T_T

Actually, I ran Halo 1 on the lowest settings the first time I got it. My video card lacked the hardware, but compensated using software and lots of RAM. Now I can run it on the highest settings...but Halo 2 won't let me do the same -_-

Quote from: "NejinOniwa"No, you should be whipped for getting vista, konoyaro.

NO U

Jealous much? Have you ever used it?
It's not that terrible. Once you get rid of some visual effects, it runs "ok" while still looking good.

Tsubashi

Guys, guys!
Much as we may want to all join in the name calling game, this is childish! We each have our preferences, and I'm rather sure they are well know for everyone here. How about we all just agree that it all personal preference, okay? ^__^
-Tsu

Icelilly

Playing Pokemon Pinball Ruby/Sapphire Edition. ^^
Still playing with Pokemon Emerald where I'm trying to raise my Starmie to lvl. 100. It's at 78 right now! ^-^ I kinda put LeafGreen to the side for now...

NejinOniwa

That's the right way to go, lil' Icy! Don't give up hope yet!!! (And curse there for being no good training place for watery pokes only! CURSE!!! WRAAAAAAAAAATH~)

Added after 1 hours 6 minutes:

Oh and also, THIS game is freaking me out. TWICE.

Gummster

If that's freaking you out then you haven't seen half the things on this website.

Icelilly

Quote from: "NejinOniwa"That's the right way to go, lil' Icy! Don't give up hope yet!!! (And curse there for being no good training place for watery pokes only! CURSE!!! WRAAAAAAAAAATH~)
Haha XD I usually go to the E4 and re-battle them over and over again. Which I'm in no position for losing with my lvl. 100 Blaziken and lvl. 100 Altaria that I raised last year ^_^

Trust me, I'm not giving up on Starmie! I've been raising since it was a Staryu at lvl. 26. It's also one of my favourite Pokemon and yet it just randomly gets shoved in the PC unlike LG where everytime I get one, I start training it like no tomorrow. That's a crime. ;o;

Once Starmie is done, I've got a whole list to go! Here's the list (not in order):

- Gardevoir
- Dewgong
- Hitmonchan
- Hitmonlee
- Breloom (<-- <3)
- Espeaon (It's lvl. 94 so maybe I'll do him first... Also, It's traded)
- Hariyama (Still debating...)

NejinOniwa

Quote from: "Icy"- Breloom (<-- <3)
There, there. There's one you should really have prio uno on. Breloom is SERIOUS pwnage recipe with instant delivery. Breloom rocks all teh socks!

Icelilly

Quote from: "NejinOniwa"
Quote from: "Icy"- Breloom (<-- <3)
There, there. There's one you should really have prio uno on. Breloom is SERIOUS pwnage recipe with instant delivery. Breloom rocks all teh socks!
Indeed. *_* It has Sky Uppercut for awsome pwnage against other pokemans. X3

CaptBrenden

went back to playing mark of chaos.. this game is so awsome.. I just wish it had a skirmish mode like other RTS games.. just single player and multiplayer so its hard to just practice tactics and test unit combos in a no pressure enviroment.  oh well..