Hayao Miyazaki says: - iPad users are "Chronic Onanists"!

Started by Raffaele the Amigan, July 14, 2010, 01:17:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raffaele the Amigan

http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2010/07/13/miyazaki-ipad-users-nothing-but-chronic-masturbators/

Hayao Miyazaki, of Studio Ghibli fame, has launched into one of his trademark rambling tirades against the ills of technology, likening “iWhatever” users to “chronic onanists.”

The remarks came in the context of an interview with Miyazaki published in “Neppu,” an in-house Ghibli rag, which had been covering the iPad.

Upon being confronted by an interviewer fiddling with his iPad, Miyazaki let loose:

“That thing that looks like a gaming device in your hand, along with that strange stroking movement you make with your hands is by no means attractive to me, nor am I at all impressed by it. I feel a sense of revulsion for it, in fact.

I’m sure in short time there will be an increase in people on trains making those strange masturbatory strokes. It was the same when everyone started reading manga on trains, and when it became cellphones â€" I’m fed up with it.”

That was merely his initial statement.

The interviewer went on the defensive, describing how he thought the iPad a good tool for research, and something to buy books on and look up information with.

This only aggravated Miyazaki further however:

“It may seem like I am ignoring your human rights to say this, but you can’t research any of that. Why? Because you have no way of knowing what it’s like to be on an old trireme, or having empathy with the men on board, covered in sweat as they labour at their oars.

You go out into the world without enriching your imagination. You are merely grasping the iWhatever as a skimming tool you use to stroke yourself.

I’m sure there are many people who want to become omnipotent by getting their hands on this iWhatever. I’ll tell you sir, there were once a bunch of people who wore radio cassette players (those bulky things) wherever they went in the sixties. They wore it like a priceless emblem.

They’re mostly probably living off of pension funds now, but you and them are the same. You jump at the newest gadgets, and all you do is relish the pride in owning one as some consumer.

You must not become a consumer. You must become someone that creates.
Pegasos computer: CPU PPC G3 600MHz, RAM DDR 512 MB PC3200, Graphic Card ATI 9250 256 MB videoram. SO MorphOS 1.4.5
;011 -(Caramba! El nuevo Peggy computador es Amiga compatible y muy Mejor!)
[/color]
"God, what an incredible thing we did!"
(R.J. Mical, engineer of original Amiga developing team at Amiga Inc. 1982-1985).
[/color]
"When the Amiga came out, everyone [at Apple] was scared as hell."
(Jean-Lous Gassée, former CEO of Apple France and chief of developers of Mac II-fx, interviewed by Amazing Computing, November 1996).
[/color]

Aurora Borealis

Red-Machine

Yes, I saw that.  Miyazaki is a traditionalist and traditionalists tend to have good points in this day and age.  The comments were mostly ripping him because it seemed as if in one part he was telling people to only create and not consume; that was just poor word use, those guys really showed their ignorance by flaming him for it.
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

Chocofreak13

This is one of the reasons Miyazaki is my hero. Badass, Awesomely Creative, and Someone you'd want as your 3rd grandpa. >:3
click to make it bigger

NejinOniwa

Well, better than ol' Steve, at least.

...in fact, better than EITHER of the Steves. Oh, the horror...
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Chocofreak13

the only steves i know are:

pretty sure there was a "steve" on full house
stephen lynch
my friend's friend (my new friend) steve
click to make it bigger

NejinOniwa

What, Jobs and Ballmer aren't Steve enough for you?

Raffaele the Amigan

Quote from: "NejinOniwa"What, Jobs and Ballmer aren't Steve enough for you?

;022

And don't forget Steve Wozniak...  ;012
Pegasos computer: CPU PPC G3 600MHz, RAM DDR 512 MB PC3200, Graphic Card ATI 9250 256 MB videoram. SO MorphOS 1.4.5
[/color]
(R.J. Mical, engineer of original Amiga developing team at Amiga Inc. 1982-1985).
[/color]
(Jean-Lous Gassée, former CEO of Apple France and chief of developers of Mac II-fx, interviewed by Amazing Computing, November 1996).
[/color]

Chocofreak13

oh gods, THOSE steves. forgot about them.

well, point is, THOSE steves turned half the planet into chronic masturbators. xD
click to make it bigger

NejinOniwa

One of them did, at least. As for the other one - you don't want to KNOW what he's trying to accomplish.

Kiso

DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS!

Is that anywhere close to what I think he is trying to do?
Sponsored by: iLurk - the new service that lets you stay and not be here | Procrast - the program where nothing intended gets done | HTML - home town messing life

NejinOniwa

Developers? Coverup. In fact, his entire mad-hattery suite is just a big damn cover. Sweet was the time we had with Billy boy at the rudder, now we're just waiting for the edge...

coldReactive

What's an onanist? Seeing as it isn't a word, but Onan is a name.

Red-Machine

A masturbator.  Comes from the story of Onan, who was smited by God for masturbating too much.
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

Raffaele the Amigan

Quote from: "Red-Machine"A masturbator.  Comes from the story of Onan, who was smited by God for masturbating too much.

Onan, son of Judah (Gen 38:9)

He had also a famous nephew called Onan the Barbarian...   ;012
[/color]
[/color]
[/color]