Member Introduction Thread

Started by Pitkin, December 11, 2005, 04:12:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NejinOniwa

NAME: Nejin Oniwa/Nej/N/The King (to my clansmen - no, I'm being serious, they call me that)
OCCUPATION: Mad scientist in training, writer of various more or less fictional literature, Hamster exterminator
Languages spoken fluently: Swedish, English
To a lesser extent: Old Norse, Japanese, French
Areas of interest: Lore and mythology, history, All Kinds Of Science In Which Things Are Made To Explode, killing hamsters, Net Neutrality, Experimental Cooking, Theoretical Physics, Material Physics, Neurobiology, Neurotechnology, Strategy, Gaming, Global conquest, Animu, Ponies, Hiking, Skiing and Everything that involves Snow.

Fun facts: Not going to make a favorite x list because lazy.
Likes food: Picky.
Likes sleep: No, because my sleep program doesn't work.
Likes Likes: Fuck off.
Is now on Guernsey: False.
Death to the Stormcloaks: Unknown.
Going to stop typing this list now: True.
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Nichi

You know, since I never reintroduced myself when I came back in March '11, this does give me a chance to reintroduce myself :3

Name: PentiumMMX, although I tend to prefer "Penti" as the shorthand version
Sex: Physically male, mentally a strange mix of both; leaning more female
Location: In my "hacker cave", located in a hole-in-the-wall east Texas town with an ego problem
Languages spoken fluently: English
Languages I at least recognize some words from: French, Spanish, Japanese
Areas of interest: Computers, various operating systems (Old and new), video games, anime and manga, comic books, some sci-fi, wearing women's clothing, and writing stories in my spare time

Other bits of useless knowledge about me:

• Favorite OS-tans: 2k-tan, OS9-tan, Fedora-tan (The character, although our admin is a cool guy), and OpenVMS-tan
  • Favorite OSes: Windows 2000, Windows 7, Mac OS 9, OSX Snow Leopard, MS-DOS 6.22, and any variant of Linux with the Cinnamon or LXDE interface
  • Current OSes: Windows 7, OSX Snow Leopard
  • Number of computers in my fleet: 15, counting my temperamental typewriter
  • Favorite TV shows: Doctor Who, Warehouse 13
  • Favorite books: Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, the Harry Potter series
  • Favorite internet series: Atop the Fourth Wall, Bad Movie Beatdown, Continue Show
  • Favorite anime: Fullmetal Alchemist, Haruhi Suzumiya, Lucky Star
  • Favorite cartoons: Adventure Time, Danny Phantom
  • Favorite comic series: Deadpool
  • Favorite video games: Diddy Kong Racing, Chip's Challenge, Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back, Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
  • Favorite food: Pizza
  • Favorite drink: Tea
  • Favorite color: Green, though I also like blue
  • Number of past girlfriends: 0
  • Gold medal for "Slowest internet connection on OSC": Yes
  • Nyan Cat: Yes

I actually joined this site way back in December '08, but due to technical problems with my terrible dial-up connection, I was torn away in April '09 (Granted, barely anybody knew me back then ^_^; ). I came back in March '11, finally opened up more and actually let people get to know me personally, and have been here ever since.

I also traveled cross country to meet up with Kari and Bella, just this past June :3

stewartsage

Hi Dustii, welcome aboard matey!

Bella

Name: People call me Bells or Borya or B
Sex and gender: Female and mentally I lean agender. 
Occupation: Photographer and co-manager of my family's business
Favourite Colour: I like all of them. >_> But green is especially appealing to me.
Favourite Foods: Dark chocolate, seafood of all varieties, baked goods, thai food, coffee
Favourite Number: 8.
Favourite Anime: Kino's Journey, Haibane Renmai, Serial Experiments Lain, Ergo Proxy, Gurren Lagann, Madoka Magica, Haruhi, anything in the GITS franchise, Pani Poni Dash
Favourite Manga: I ... don't really have one. << Though I do likes me some fluffy yuri manga.
Favorite Western Animation: Adventure Tiiiiiime, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
Favourite Band: Radiohead
Favourite Movie: Probably Doctor Strangelove.
OS of Choice: OSX Snow Leopard, Windows 7, Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Android
Favorite Historic OSes and Computers: MULTICS, CTSS, DTSS, Research Unix, PDP-8, PDP-10, Whirlwind.
Workable computers: 2009 iMac "Eve", 2009 Asus U50F "Xue", Samsung Galaxy S "Lina"
Historic computers: Probably around 25? I'm not going to list them here anyway. >>

My interests include psychology, sociology, philosophizing about stuff, vintage technology, history, art, writing, attempting to educate myself in various useful fields (minor carpentry, amateur electrical engineering, cooking, photography), I'm also have an annoying morbid fascination with things that freak me out/upset me, thus wikiwalks on subjects like horrible diseases and nuclear warfare and visiting terrible tumblers and reading really bad vintage comics.

Did you know?
-My spirit animal is the swan, my spirit city is Boston, and my spirit OS-tan resembles some terrible mixture of LINC-, PDP-8 and MTS-tan.
-My favorite (visited) cities are Boston, Providence and Washington DC, and I plan on visiting Montreal, Halifax, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Chicago and Minneapolis, and San Francisco, Portland and Seattle if I can ever afford transcontinental travel. I haven't given much thought to travel outside North America, because I want to do my nearby travel first and then check out the rest of the world...
-I really love computer history because it's a mix of two favorite things, technology and the historic period from WWII onward. I'm fascinated by 1940s - 1970s era computers because I really like a lot of the companies and figures of that time, it was a time of impressive technological development and the industry had yet to be infected by the capitalistic urge to horde intellectual secrets and hinder progress in the name of making a buck. -__-
-On that note, I'm really fond of the open source philosophy and copyleft system.

Chocofreak13

posting this here so mine isn't alone. ;^;
i was never a fan of vista, but that was likely due to the issue you just mentioned; microsoft shoving a square peg into a cheaper round hole. the 'family' computer in the basement still runs it, but it was a very early vista PC, and when i was using it i actually got used to it crashing. it was odd if it didn't crash before startup, actually. >>;

you know, it's been awhile since we've had a new member. i'm gonna properly introduce myself. -w-

Name: Kari (answers to Kari or Choco)
Occupation: student/public nuisance/resident tsundere/grammar nazi/comic artist/OSC site harvester
Favourite Colour:
Purple
Favourite Foods: Pizza, Chocolate, Coca-Cola (i drink at least 3 of these a day), Pasta, Banquet Frozen Dinners
Favourite Number: Free/13
Favourite Anime: One Piece/Naruto/Big O (occasionally others, i watch plenty of others as well)
Favourite Manga: Reborn!/Me and My Brothers/Kare First Love/Yaoi (i own over 400 volumes of various manga)
Favourite Song: I Won't Be There/Burnin' For You (by Simple Plan and Blue Öyster Cult respectively)
Favourite Movie: anything Miyazaki/anything Burton/The Boondock Saints/Edward Scissorhands/Ferris Bueler's Day Off
Favourite TV Show: Law and Order: Special Victims Unit (i can recite the opening by heart), Doctor Who
OS of Choice: XP or 7, though i have a laptop with 98SE that i use on occasion too. i'm not very fond of macs (though the two i have are valued, loved member of the family), Vista, or 8.
Computers: 8 (counting Gothpod, my ipod); 7 mine; 2 paid for
Interests (in no particular order): anime, manga, listening to music, art, sleeping, cooking/baking, singing, writing (on occasion, except comics, which occurs 90% of the time), computers, japanese culture, sewing, video games, Ball-Jointed Dolls, tabletop RPGs, the internet, metalwork (though this is mostly past), reading (manga or otherwise), history
Random Facts About Me:
~I collect manga, anime plushies, snowglobes, hats, and paper umbrellas
   ~I have over 400 volumes of manga and over 30 (pushing 40) anime plushies
      ~I also collect Ball-Jointed Dolls, though the collection is still smallish (big in some respects actually, i have 5 1/6 scale dolls and working on a 6th)
~I have over 14k songs in my music library, mostly in japanese, korean, and, to a slightly lesser extent, english
~I'm a 3rd year Art Student aiming for a bachelor's in Illustration, hoping to make comics
   ~I'm hoping to have a webcomic up within a month and a half
~I'm quite the raving weirdo
   ~This includes posting in various colours to protest people trying to regulate how i type, eating a picture of Drew Carey, and doing the dishes at 4am
~In some respects, i'm OSC's historian
   ~only because i was part of an older fansite and pay attention to the canon, resulting in me being able to tell you who loves XP-tan and who WE-tan represents.

everyone else should introduce themselves too. -w-

updated info:
Languages: american, broken bits of various other languages, mostly japanese and some french and german
OS-tan: CAN'T CHOOSE ><;;;
Favourite (non-manga) Book: A Clockwork Orange, Maggie: A Girl of the Streets, A Jar of Dreams
Favourite Anime: adding Sailor Moon to the list; SM was my first anime (age 5) and was the reason behind me getting into the hobby and getting into art in general. it's thanks to SM and Takeuchi-sama that i'm going to art school and making comics. ;v;
Webcomics: The Paul Reveres (MS TINAAAAAAA IS SO AWESOME AND NICE AND PRETTY AND HELPFUL AND SHE SAID I WASN'T CREEPY WHEN I MET HER ;v; ), Drop Dead Vince, Scandinavia and the World, Oglaf, VG Cats/Super Effective (when they update >>;; ), Homestuck (need to get back into it >>; ), [Insert My Comics Here]
Fun Facts:
-Commutes to Boston for college on a weekly basis, formerly an almost daily basis
-loves the era of 1890's - 1940's, especially the 20's, WWI, and the tail end of the Gilded Age (1890's), and, to a slightly lesser extent, WWII
-Loves tea and has several boxes of bag tea in different flavours
-has traveled to europe and hosted 2 OSCers, the only meetups that have occurred
-has developed a bad habit of falling asleep in front of the computer/tv, and going to bed between 2-5am >>;
-has the tv on constantly for background noise; watches mostly murder shows and war documentaries, with the occasional cartoon sprinkled in
   -found and downloaded a documentary series after seeing it on the Military Channel (it's all about WWI! ;v; )
-most of my anime swag has been free or discounted, from posters to manga to wallscrolls to plushies
-has a desire to make everything cute (going as far as owning a tissue box cover with plush radishes sewn on)
   -is a goth and a nerd
-someday plans to build/own a replica of the Shinra Manor from FF7 as my house
-would like to get the changeling game started again
-somehow ended up as the OSCer with the most 'life experience' (most relationships, most shennagins, etc)
   -possible superlady (at the very least a psychic)
-owns an Olivetti Lettera 32 (portable typewriter from 1963)

click to make it bigger

DustiiWolf

Okay, im gonna reintroduce myself. seems first impressions are never the best ;w;

Hey im Dusty. I spell it Dustii, because when the Wii came out, i used ii on my Mii, and its stuck aver since.

Favorite food(s): Pizza, Grilled Cheese (made with fresh Mozzarella, Olive Oil, and a light dash of garlic powder), Sesame Chicken, Mongolian Beef

Favorite Anime(s): Lucky Star, Haruhi Suzumiya, Madoka Magica, Okami-san and her seven companions

Favorite Live Action Shows: SHERLOCK, ELEMENTARY, Doctor WHO, Persons of Interest

Favorite Classic Game: Kirby's Dreamland 3 for the Super Nintendo

Current Game System: Nintendo 3DS

Current OS (And most-knowledgeable subject): Windows 8

Favorite Animal: Wolf

Favorite PC I Used to Own: Compaq Pressario v5000 Laptop

Employment: Internship @ North Point Church (IT department), I've been told im quite the advertiser for Windows 8.

Anything else about me: Shhhhh. Spoilers
Official -tans are my bat signal.

Chocofreak13

age doesn't have to be a spoiler. maybe when you warm to us a bit you'll be more comfortable with releasing stuff like that. my name is kari, and i answer to either kari or choco (or hikari if you feel like being fancy, lol). i'm 20, and i'm from new hampshire. nice to meet you. :3
click to make it bigger

DustiiWolf

Age doesnt have to be, but its just who i am. Plus, thats one of my all time favorite Doctor WHO li... shhh. spoilers. XD
Official -tans are my bat signal.

Nichi

@Dustii: You like Doctor Who? Very nice :3

As for me, I am 21 years old, and I'm known by many names; most typically call me some variant of my screenname ("Penti" and "Pent" bring the most common shorthand versions), although some know me by my actual first name (Which would be Rodney). Also, I live in a crappy Texas town some 2 hours south of Dallas ^^;;;

Chocofreak13

you'll notice dr. who is popular here. -w-

EDIT: btw, what's that okami-san anime about? and do you have a skype address? :3
click to make it bigger

Bella

Welcome (again) Dustii-san. As I said before, with that range on interests (Doctor Who, Madoka Magica, Haruhi) you ought to fit in. >^^<

Not a lot to say about myself since my last reintroduction.... I AM trying to be a more peaceful and nonconfrontational person as of late, though it's too early to tell if it's working out for the best. >>

SleepyD

Goodness me, this thread took a long break since the last new member came in here. I remember C-Chan and everyone saying hi to people in here almost constantly. I kinda miss the Cap, actually.

Hmm. introductions, well, I guess the last time I decided to poke my head in here, I ended up staying, unlike many of my past attempts. Post-and-run. lol

Basic Life stuff:
Welp, I am SleepyD (or just sleepy, for short). In my very first introduction, I said you could call me Jeff. Feel free to do so if you like, I'm comfortable with both names. And that goes for all of you that may not have known or forgotten that. :3
24 year old male, living alone, (but slightly dependent on my parents still, mostly cuz... well, asian families wanting to always be together and stuff) and seemingly one of the few members of OSC that live on the west coast of the US. Studied aerospace engineering, but now working as a software engineer. Still looking for that dream job in the aerospace industry.

Anime stuff:
Now that I'm out of school (I was very very busy during my high school and college years, as some here know), I've been getting back into regularly watching anime. Still haven't gotten back into regularly gaming though. haha Currently enjoying Robotics;Notes, SAO, and Chuunibyou at the moment. One thing you'll find out about me is that I hardly ever find anything to criticize about the shows I watch until someone else points it out to me. Kinda weird, but that's probably why I end up enjoying pretty much anything I watch, despite whatever glaring flaws it has.

OSC forum history:
Well, I came in back in 2006. After a couple years, I started visiting less regularly, and then I just popped in and out after a number of months with a post or two. My favorite at the time of joining was 2k-tan, and she still is. MEGANEKKO FTW

As a matter of fact, if it wasn't for her OS-tan design, I'd have never have kept running my win2k box for as long as I did. Only reason I stopped was because it was getting much too hard to find compatible drivers for 2k when I finally upgraded my home desktop. But she still lives in a secondary IDE drive on my Win7 box. My Windows desktop upgrade was indeed a huge jump from Win2k Pro to Win7 Pro. lol I did use XP on my laptop (which has fussy hardware problems that I've given up on fixing), but I never ran XP on my desktop.

Otakuness:
I'm probably not as cynical or argumentative as many hardcore otaku are, but I think I've put myself way off into the deep end of things anyway. heh The OS-tan girls are one facet of that trip into otakudom. I am very much into Touhou (and nearly all facets of that doujin fandom), Vocaloid, and visual novels (both the eroge and non-eroge sort). I do some art on the side, and like with anime, I'm still getting back into that drawing groove now that I have free time. Incidentally, the 'D' in SleepyD originally stood for 'doodler'. [see my poor neglected dA: http://sleepydoodler.deviantart.com/] I'm also dabbling in singing. Mostly Vocaloid stuff for now, but it is difficult to find a song within my voice range. haha

Well, I'm at work right now, and this is much longer than I had planned. Feel free to chat about anything here or in the Topicless Thread Dustii~
And since I missed you the first time, welcome to OSC~

Simonorged

Hi, I'm Simon Orged. Or at least I am online, I draw simple things and have an interst in all anime. It's like regular TV... but drawn! Anyway, I have a tumblr (pokenerdandstuff.tumblr.com) and a DA (SimomWasHere) as well as a colors 3D account (simonorged) which you can see by googling 'simonorged'. I just recently became interested in OS-Tans And the like... hey wouldn't vocaloids be Program-Tans? I mean because they are programs and I've seen one for fire fox. Well anyway glad to be here and... thats it.
Simon was here :P

Simonorged

Hi, I'm Simon Orged. Or at least I am online, I draw simple things and have an interst in all anime. It's like regular TV... but drawn! Anyway, I have a tumblr (pokenerdandstuff.tumblr.com) and a DA (SimonWasHere) as well as a colors 3D account (simonorged) which you can see by googling 'simonorged'. I just recently became interested in OS-Tans And the like... hey wouldn't vocaloids be Program-Tans? I mean because they are programs and I've seen one for fire fox. Well anyway glad to be here and... thats it.

Simonorged

Oh! My favorite OS-Tan is Windows-7