Main Menu

Beta OS-tans?

Started by Exa, June 02, 2010, 10:58:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Exa

Quote from: "Bella"Right! Except for those rare, already existent exceptions...

Yeah. Exactly that was the thing which puzzled me since the beginning. For me. these exceptions seemed to be a bit rushed, somehow lacking in development. But if we don't need more beta OS-tans, we don't need them. After all, I am just a minor member here with a too creative imagination.

Chocofreak13

my thinking is that they were created in the massive boss-ruch of OS-tanning in the beginning. EVERYONE wanted to be responsible for a -tan.
click to make it bigger

Exa

This theory makes sense, but weren't most of the OS-tans created by a handful of people? I don't think that many people contributed to the creation back then. On the other hand, you are right - I have to admit that I wanted to be useful to the community by this addition, and I acted before thinking it over, that's right.

Aurora Borealis

The discussion of beta OS-tans inspired me to draw this:

It's NT-tan and 95-tan, circa 1993.

95-tan's outfit is based off a reference picture from earlier in the thread, and her outfit will be in purple too, matching 3.1-tan, back when she was known as Chicago.

Chocofreak13

adorable! ^^

that's ok exa. this is a lively debate. i like it, even if i didn't agree with the initial topic. ^^
click to make it bigger

Alex_Reetz

this might sound weird, but I always viewed beta Os-Tan as younger versions of the final design being taught by the other OS-Tans and NT as a teacher. for linux, I see them being like a community box of suggestions and the OS-tan reading them. I can babble on about my crazy views of OS-Tans, but I don't want to wait your time.

Bella

Quote from: "Alex_Reetz"this might sound weird, but I always viewed beta Os-Tan as younger versions of the final design being taught by the other OS-Tans and NT as a teacher. for linux, I see them being like a community box of suggestions and the OS-tan reading them. I can babble on about my crazy views of OS-Tans, but I don't want to wait your time.

Yep, that's how I see things.

The NT-based Windows-tans were taught by NT-sama, the OSX sisters were taught by Rhapsody and NeXTSTEP(?), the 9x Windows-tans... dunno... maybe 3.1-tan and 95-tan?

And of course, Linux-tan's teacher was Minix-sensei (though at a point she did go out on her own...)

And that's a lovely drawing, Aurora-san. :D

Exa

Yep, opinions differ, that's what makes the whole conversation interesting.
And I do love this picture a lot! Practically it makes the general idea useful without clogged by too many -tans. Thanks a lot for this image, Aurora! ^^

Chocofreak13

^^ differing opinions make for lovely (and lively) conversation.
click to make it bigger

Aurora Borealis

Quote from: "Alex_Reetz"this might sound weird, but I always viewed beta Os-Tan as younger versions of the final design being taught by the other OS-Tans and NT as a teacher. for linux, I see them being like a community box of suggestions and the OS-tan reading them. I can babble on about my crazy views of OS-Tans, but I don't want to wait your time.

Quote from: "Bella"
Yep, that's how I see things.

The NT-based Windows-tans were taught by NT-sama, the OSX sisters were taught by Rhapsody and NeXTSTEP(?), the 9x Windows-tans... dunno... maybe 3.1-tan and 95-tan?

And of course, Linux-tan's teacher was Minix-sensei (though at a point she did go out on her own...)

I agree with both of you. I think NeXTSTEP would have taught the OSX-tans some things, as she is their godmother, and also their aunt or something, that is if she's Rhapsody's older sister.

I could also see Mac OS8 and OS9 teaching the OSX's some things, particularly carrying on the ideals of simplicity and user-friendliness.

The Classic-tans were at first taught by Apple II, but were on their own by '93.

The 9x Windows-tans may have been taught by both NT and 95, the two mother figures of the family, even though 95 is simply the big sister of the 9x-tans. A lot of fanarts show NT and 95 looking after each other's daughters/younger sisters respectively.

NT being older, may have been 95's mentor as the two trained together.

1.0, 2.0 and 3.1 may have been taught by Xenix, or maybe MSDOS.

And that's a lovely drawing, Aurora-san. :D
Thanks! :D

Quote from: "Exa"Yep, opinions differ, that's what makes the whole conversation interesting.
And I do love this picture a lot! Practically it makes the general idea useful without clogged by too many -tans. Thanks a lot for this image, Aurora! ^^

I like this conversation, and the different viewpoints, but it's good we've come to some agreements, that we don't need any more separate service pack characters, and that the beta releases for almost all OSes can be the same character as the final.

Glad you like it! :)

Here's the finished version:

http://ostan-collections.net/imeeji/displayimage.php?pos=-8368

Exa

Indeed. It looks like the community successfully managed to reach a conclusion in this topic. Thank you for all the people who contributed in this thread, it was really helpful to me. And the finished picture just added the final touch for the already pretty one, ehehe~

Chocofreak13

this was a good way to wrap things up. ^^

are we saying we should lock the topic, since there doesn't seem to be much else to discuss?
click to make it bigger