Main Menu

Beta OS-tans?

Started by Exa, June 02, 2010, 10:58:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NejinOniwa

More like this:
Quote from: "Motto"/OSC/ - We make shit up.
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Exa

Quote from: "Aurora Borealis"
Both OSes had some sort of quirk that made them easily personifiable and took on their own characterizations. If these 'service pack' characters like the OSR 2.x-tans are going to be made, they need to be distinct characters in their own right, which can be a challenge.

With the XP service packs, I can't distinguish between them at all, and it wouldn't be worth it to make separate characters of them. :-/

Quote from: "Chocofreak13"
sometimes, it's better to just let things go as they are. we're not sure why 97-tan exists, but she does.

and as for later releases, there are two NT'S, and a windows 3.2. not to mention all the mac-nekotans. sometimes characters exist. there is nothing wrong wit this.

if it really bothers you, make up a tan. :3

My point was exactly that OSR 2.1- and OSR 2.5-tans aren't that different from the original 95-tan, and it makes them more like one shot characters. They are more like extensions for the original, and hence I am somewhat confused that why they are characters on their own. That's why I compared them to Service Packs, which are just minor additions, not enough to make their own characters - they can be represented by extra equipment or something like that. As for 97-tan, I feel her a bit rushed, too. Somehow she lacks the character importance. And as Windows 3.2 is basically Windows 3.1 in Chinese, just a language difference, nothing more, nothing less.
And actually, I came up with a background story for Chicago-tan:
Back then, 3.1-tan had two candidates as the successor, Chicago-tan and 95-tan. After a period of training and rivalry, it was found out that 95-tan is the more suitable one (referring to the time when the beta started to refer itself as Windows 95, dropping the Chicago codename). As Chicago-tan lost 3.1-tan's favor, she left the family, and started her own journey as a ronin. She had one thing in her mind - training herself so she can gain the trust of 3.1-tan again by becoming better than 95-tan. Unfortunately, times have passed, and she was unaware of that. Few people have seen her since that (referring to the people who found out the OS and tried out in one way or another), but she did not stay anywhere for long.
Appearance-wise, I keep the earlier mentioned younger-looking 95-tan in a traditional 3.1-tan colored oufit and with a bokken. She wears her hair in a ponytail.

NejinOniwa

I'd advise you to refrain from making more of the stuff that we already seem to agree on is excessive...

Chocofreak13

BUT THEY'RE THE SAME OS
95 EVOLVED FROM CHICAGO LIKE AN ESPEON FROM AN EEVEE
O_______O;

Quote from: "NejinOniwa"More like this:
Quote from: "Motto"/OSC/ - We make shit up.

if this becomes out motto, i have our theme song. ^^;
click to make it bigger

Bella

Quote from: "Nejin"I'd advise you to refrain from making more of the stuff that we already seem to agree on is excessive...

True.

Quote from: "Kari"BUT THEY'RE THE SAME OS
95 EVOLVED FROM CHICAGO LIKE AN ESPEON FROM AN EEVEE

This is also very true.

Heck, I don't even feel right about making (modern computer) hardware-tans because that opens up such a can of characterization worms. I mean, I probably will but still... D:

NejinOniwa

To self-quote:
QuoteLess is of course moar, but most importantly, less is less. For story purposes - and for the sake of our readers - this is absolutely vital.

Chocofreak13

;___; i'm all for diversity. but i think generalization is in order on some things. v____v;
click to make it bigger

Exa

Okay. In that case, topic can be closed, as the original question was answered. Not that we don't have already around 100 OS-tans... I haven't counted them, though. Considering that we started with only a handful of them - we are already on the path of having an OS-tan to pretty much everything ever existed. *points at the full OS-tan list*

NejinOniwa

Shoggun pah, sheriff.

Chocofreak13

lockage would be in order.

and yeah(over 9000 tan), but at least we're thorough. :3
click to make it bigger

Aurora Borealis

Essentially, we all agree on beta OS-tans being the same character as the finalized OS, and with a few exceptions, service pack releases are also the same characters.

However, this thread still has some potential, discussing OS-tans in their beta state, and how much they have changed.

Chocofreak13

hmm, i suppose so.

we don't see 3.2 much in anything. most of the beta-tans are rather obscure....
click to make it bigger

Exa

Well, beta OS-es themselves are obscure, it does make sense that their OS-tans are obscure too. And if we treat beta OS-tans the same as their final counterpart, then there isn't much to discuss either - in that case, we can consider the beta states as a sort of preparation / training / whatever is fitting for the respective OS-tan, if we want to simplify things, right?

Chocofreak13

exactly. most things here are a case-by-case basis.
click to make it bigger

Bella

Quote from: "Exa"Well, beta OS-es themselves are obscure, it does make sense that their OS-tans are obscure too. And if we treat beta OS-tans the same as their final counterpart, then there isn't much to discuss either - in that case, we can consider the beta states as a sort of preparation / training / whatever is fitting for the respective OS-tan, if we want to simplify things, right?

Right! Except for those rare, already existent exceptions...