Main Menu

Beta OS-tans?

Started by Exa, June 02, 2010, 10:58:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chocofreak13

mmmmmmmmmmmmm
i understand the sword, but putting her in a 3.1 dress just makes me think of her in her pj's. :\
click to make it bigger

Exa

I did not exactly mean the same as 3.1's outfit. I actually imagined something more traditional, but - as Chicago's GUI was quite similar to 3.1 in some points - using 3.1's color scheme for the clothing?

http://ostan-collections.net/imeeji/displayimage.php?album=46&pos=1

I did mean something like on that picture.

Dr. Kraus

I like what the design would be like if Chicago-tan was like that. But I like how everything is right now but I would like to see a story telling of the OS wars or something. that would be golden.

Alex S

This image is supposed to be a young 95-tan, isn't it?

http://ostan-collections.net/imeeji/displayimage.php?album=5&pos=42

That could be used as a basis, couldn't it?

Exa

Actually, I can imagine a progression, based on these information. How about:
Chicago-tan (specifically, the 58s or the 73g build) -> teenage 95-tan with a bokken and the 3.1-colored traditional outfit.
Build 189 (the first which called itself Windows 95) -> wouldn't get its own -tan, but appearance-wise, it would look like that young 95-tan pic
And after that would appear our beloved (final) 95-tan.
I believe it would show pretty well the progression from the beta to the final version. Maybe a similar stuff could be done with Whistler, too?

NejinOniwa

There are lots of "child mode" pics of Saseko and the others, this essentially is what Whistler was.
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Chocofreak13

i agree with nejin on that one, but like the idea of the teenage 95 in the 3.1 kimono. it's still a little weird that 95 would have 3.1's colour scheme.....unless we think of the kimono as a hand-me-down from big sis 3.1. :3
click to make it bigger

Exa

Quote from: "Chocofreak13"i agree with nejin on that one, but like the idea of the teenage 95 in the 3.1 kimono. it's still a little weird that 95 would have 3.1's colour scheme.....unless we think of the kimono as a hand-me-down from big sis 3.1. :3

Why not? After all, I see it completely possible that as 95 is the successor of 3.1 that she started by sharing the big sis' outfit, to get her own later.
As for the "Young Saseko = Whistler" theory, while it is simple and understandable, but I feel somewhat inconsistent that 97-tan (=Windows Memphis, right?) has a look which a bit similar to the previous one in terms of color and stuff, while Whistler would be just a younger XP-tan. Or am I over complicating this whole beta deal?

NejinOniwa

Yes. Yes, you are. Older beta-tans that exist can be left and explained somehow, but we don't NEED to adapt later parts to it just because. Simplicity is just as important for stories as complexity is, and the most important part of complexity is knowing your restrictions.

Exa

I believe I understand what are you going to tell with this, but actually, we already have quite a number of cases where we have several -tans which are almost the same (following the same pattern, do we really need OSR 2.1-tan and OSR 2.5-tan? They were service releases, not much different than Service Packs - and we don't have different -tans for XP's various Service Packs either) or -tans for OS-es which never ever got released. Aren't these against those restrictions too?

Aurora Borealis

With OSR 2.5-tan, she was created as a minor character in an obscure OS-tan comic, looking like a cross between 95-tan and 98-tan [the last version of 95 used the same IE version as 98]. She happened to gain some popularity and took on a backstory and personality of her own.

OSR 2.1-tan was at first only mentioned in that same comic, and I planned to leave her existence at that, but being the first Windows version to introduce USB --and not very well at that--, I thought she had potential as a character, being an inventor who failed and ran away from home to live as a hermit.

Both OSes had some sort of quirk that made them easily personifiable and took on their own characterizations. If these 'service pack' characters like the OSR 2.x-tans are going to be made, they need to be distinct characters in their own right, which can be a challenge.

With the XP service packs, I can't distinguish between them at all, and it wouldn't be worth it to make separate characters of them. :-/

NejinOniwa

Well, I have no details on the OSR's, but what I'm trying to say is leave what we have already, but make no new -tans of things that aren't necessary - such as service/security packs, dev builds/betas, and so on. If uncertainties are abound, step up and pose the question and the board of authors/directors/creators/fags will come together and solve the problem. So to speak.

Bella

Quote from: "NejinOniwa"Well, I have no details on the OSR's, but what I'm trying to say is leave what we have already, but make no new -tans of things that aren't necessary - such as service/security packs, dev builds/betas, and so on. If uncertainties are abound, step up and pose the question and the board of authors/directors/creators/fags will come together and solve the problem. So to speak.

This. I second it.

Chocofreak13

xp has a different outfit for sp2, but that's all i know, and i'm referencing that from an obscure magical girl style background (and technically the compainion was the service pack).

2k got a shield and sword for sp4, but once again, refrencing obscure pic.

sometimes, it's better to just let things go as they are. we're not sure why 97-tan exists, but she does.

and as for later releases, there are two NT'S, and a windows 3.2. not to mention all the mac-nekotans. sometimes characters exist. there is nothing wrong wit this.

if it really bothers you, make up a tan. :3
click to make it bigger

stewartsage

Quote from: "K"if it really bothers you, make up a tan. :3

Anyone else think that would make an awesome motto for OSC?