Apple Vs. Microsoft - But this time...

Started by coldReactive, May 27, 2010, 10:58:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiso

Quoteunderdog might still apply to linux, being that not many people know of it (it's DEFINITELY not in the mainstream yet, but getting there).

This... is not true.

Linux is already in the mainstream however, not preferred as a desktop OS in most cases. Android, however seems like it's pushing Linux further along, into the smart phone and tablet markets. But we'll see how that ends.
Sponsored by: iLurk - the new service that lets you stay and not be here | Procrast - the program where nothing intended gets done | HTML - home town messing life

Bella

Lemme just state that I think Steve Jobs and Bill Gates are awesome....

....as computer business super-villains. Ballmer scares the hell outta me, and the Woz... hmm... he always struck me as the real genius behind Apple.

I still think that calling Windows the underdog is like calling the US the underdog. Yes, the US is slowly losing power to other world superpowers, but it's not an underdog. At all.

If Apple wants to fight Adobe, I say more power to 'em. I hate Adobe, what with their freakishly overpriced piracy-inducing software. ><;;

Kiso

Uhm... even if they're overpriced... they pretty much no real competition in some stuff. It is that reason alone that allows them to change what they charge for their products.

People should start to compete... c.blocking your competition out of your space by prohibition is helpful until you got called out for anti-trust. And believe me an anti-trust lawsuit is the one thing that could potentially bring Apple market value down very fast... specially with how little markets they're in versus their stock value.
Sponsored by: iLurk - the new service that lets you stay and not be here | Procrast - the program where nothing intended gets done | HTML - home town messing life

Aurora Borealis

Apple has 90% of the market for laptops that cost over $1000, and dominates the music player market, so when it comes to computers, Apple is a niche company. But when it comes to music players, Apple is the dominant player and the standard.

Likewise, Microsoft's Zune was a minor contender among the music players.

Microsoft has been called out as an anti-trust at least twice, by the US Department of Justice in the late 90's, and by the EU in the 2000's. How is it that they are still dominating the market?

NejinOniwa

YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Chocofreak13

Quote from: "Kiso"
Quoteunderdog might still apply to linux, being that not many people know of it (it's DEFINITELY not in the mainstream yet, but getting there).

This... is not true.

Linux is already in the mainstream however, not preferred as a desktop OS in most cases. Android, however seems like it's pushing Linux further along, into the smart phone and tablet markets. But we'll see how that ends.

i say linux, over half my school (probably over half the country) goes "huh?"

IT'S A NERD THING. GAINING GROUND, YES, BUT NOT MAINSTREAM. ^^;

y'know who's the underdog? the OSes my friends made. xD
click to make it bigger

NejinOniwa

It's an underdog among the commoners, yes; however, it's ruled supreme in various business markets for quite some time now (Web Servers, for example, almost ALWAYS some RedHat@Apache or variant).
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS