The Retrocomputing Thread

Started by Bella, April 28, 2010, 05:23:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NejinOniwa

Fangirl squee in 3...2...1...Action!
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Aurora Borealis

You have like the best luck with finding vintage stuff, Bella! Glad your VIC-20 works! (awww I want one!)

I'm also learning Commodore Basic, programming using a C64 emulator (currently learning of the many ways to put the POKE command to good use!), and I have the C64 app on my iPod- the latest version released a few days ago includes the BASIC interpreter!

Still, I think the VIC-20 is a cool computer in its own right, plus I like the obscure underdog-types! You should check out this community. :)

stewartsage

Sweet, we still have a Performa and laser printer at the library that's been literally chained to it's desk.  

A Toughbook, awesome D:

There are so many awesome TV's at the Goodwill, actually sad that I've already purchased one or I could have gotten a kickass portable RCA or a B&W GE with UHF/VHF antennas.

Red-Machine

Bella, you lucky SOB.  Can I come live with you so I can shop at those stores, please?
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

Bella

Today I went into town and decided to drop by the computer store/repair shop to ask if they ever get any old computers in (as in, 1990s and earlier computers)...

Well, good news and bad news. Bad news is, our town had a rummage sale a couple weeks back and he took in TONS OF OLD COMPUTERS. They didn't sell and got sent to the dump. I made this face:

D,:

Then the storekeeper asked me why I was so interested in old computers anyway, and I triumphantly announced "I AM AN OLD COMPUTER COLLECTOR~!" and then he reacted like most people do when I tell them I'm an old computer collector, a mix of mild intrigue and "wait, WTF?"

But his interest was piqued! He said he had one vintage computer, however, and a minute later he came out of the back room (why are these old computers always kept in back rooms?) with a large leather laptop case. Opened it up and LO AND BEHOLD, this was inside:

This, ladies and gentlemen, is a Bondwell B310sx laptop computer. AND IT RUNS!!!!!! It didn't boot when I switched it on, but the very fact that it turns on and seems to have a working BIOS buoys my spirit...

I asked how much he wanted for it; he said I could have it, since I'm a collector and it'd be going to a good home. I said it would have a great home, with lots of other computers to keep it company. :3

It came with the leather Bondwell case, AC adapter, MSDOS manuals (even though he insists it has Windows 3.1 or 95 installed), and a software suite called Spinnaker Eight-in-One Office (for IBMs and Compatible Computers) in its original box.

Then we talked about computer collecting for awhile; turns out he has a TRS-80 Pocket Computer. That he will NEVER EVER SELL. EVER. His words. But he says he knows some people who might have old computer caches, including one ex Dell engineer who may have a few minis in his basement. He's not sure, but says this guy's wife will know -- "go visit her at her shop in Concord and ask."

I'm just trying to get the word out to my local used computer shops, so they won't be so quick to throw out old things, but people keep giving me computers. THIS IS MADNESSSSSSSSS~ D:<

NejinOniwa

I might have to make a squee-o-meter for the use of this thread, you know. -w-

stewartsage

That's why you always check the used electronics bin of your local dump.... though that causes tears more often the squees generated by that Bondwell.

NejinOniwa

The boring thing here is, there IS no such thing as a used computers store - possibly in Uppsala or Lund, but those things just cover somewhat recent things anyway. I don't know why, but the only thing Sweden seem to like vintage is wine. Not even old cars are all that high up.

Red-Machine

Same here.  The oldest anyone will go in a store over here is around 2005 or so.  And that's a rarity.
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

Chocofreak13

weird. old computers are so commonplace here.
hey guys, little help? found an old computer that might not exist anymore....

fern decided to show up in a few of the pics.....

you can vaguely make out "tim" in the upper righthand corner.....so thus, we have timmy. :3

i've never heard of this brand before, and i can't seem to get a lead on it......
any ideas? it's made for NT/98, so....
click to make it bigger

Dr. Kraus

I think we used to own one of these back when 98 first came out. They where ether bought out by a big name to expand or just went bankrupt and fell out of the market. You do have a very unique machine there though!

tan-1

i remember finding 1 95 desktop and lots of XP computers that where petty old

NejinOniwa

Bella

@Aurora: It's odd, the moment I quit looking for old computers, they started coming out of the woodwork (after the 98 iMac I told myself I wouldn't buy any more for the time being lol). >>

I'm glad the VIC-20 works too, figured it would though, since there's really not a lot that can go wrong with those simple micros (ie, no moving internal parts like HDDs or heatsinks).

It's awesome that you're learning CBM! Maybe you can teach me a thing or two, heh. And that's an interesting community, thanks for sharing. :3

I like obscure and underdog computers too, second only perhaps to my love of flop computers (seriously, what is it with epic failures/tragedies that I like so much? Windows 1.0 and 2.0, OS/2, Multics, TSS/360, Apple Lisa and III, any OS Wars-era Macs...)

@Stew: Chained to the desk? That must be a tough neighborhood. <<

The Toughbook IS awesome, and arm-breakingly heavy, and it runs like a dream! Turns out it has Windows 98 SE installed, which is very nostalgic for me, since that was the second OS I worked with at any length. ^^

Hopefully I can start intercepting these computers BEFORE they end up in the dump, that's why I'm trying to get the word out that I'm collecting them. >>

@Red: Yes you can come live with me, I need an in-house computer tech expert. xD

So weird that the oldest computers you can find in your area are from around 2005... that's the approximate age of my second and third newest computers, K8 and DY (who're still used on a regular basis BTW). D:

@Choco: I'd suggest that maybe it's a "homebrew" PC, or at least one made by a small manufacturers (like my Diacad Associates 3.1 PC). Unfortunetly, Tiger's a rather common name and I doubt googling it will turn up any good leads... could you find any other form on identification on it? A place of manufacturing or date, etc?

Bella

Time for another installment of my long-running series...

ADVENTURES IN COMPUTER HUNTING! Or, WHAT THE HELL IS THIS CRAZY SH!T?!

Today I went out with my dad, looking into some possible photography work at various resorts, attractions, etc, around our area. Well. We happened to pass a computer repair shop, at which point I emphatically squeaked "EEEE STOP HERE~!" and so we did a u-ey and went back.

So, we went out back - since the shop's in an, ahem, shed - opened the door and found a, well, shed full of computers. And the owner. At this point I've become brave enough to introduce myself something like "hello, I'm a computer collector and am wondering if you have any old machines" and I did - to which the owner replied, "well I DID, but THOSE got sent to the dump."

Geekly tears were shed. ._____.

My father took this pause to interject, "Say, d'ye have any used Macs for sale?!" cause he needs a work computer and nothing short of a Mac will do, to which the owner replied, "nah, I don't work on Macs - I got enough on my hands with IBMs as it is," and he pointed at a table full of non-IBM PCs. Interesting. I've never heard of anyone refer to PCs as "IBMs" before. But it makes me like PCs a hella lot more. Yeah, from now on, PCs will be IBM-clones. >>

Then he handed me a 5'' HDD and said he had a ton of old floppy drives lying around that I could have. And a couple 1990s-era laptops, including a Thinkpad and Gateway which may still work. He said he'd put together a box of things I can have if I want, and to check back on Friday.

THEN, at an antique store on Lake Winnipesaukee, I found a... Commodore VIC-20. $20, in its original box with all the cables. I was iffy on buying it (why would I need one VIC-20, let alone two?), but I caved in the end. So now, I have a pair of VIC-20s. A Victor to go with my Victoria, if you will. Well, the antique store guy told me computers would be the collectible of the future, so I guess I'm getting in on the ground floor.

So, yeah. It scares me how I can find computers at the least computery of places. ._____.

OH YEAH! AND, I stumbled upon an arcade game museum in Weirs - 100s of 1970s and 80s arcade games, including the first coin-operated arcade game. It's based off of the PDP-1 game Spacewars! and called Space War. There were also several old Pong games.