Windows 2K-sama to the rescue!

Started by Dr. Kraus, April 05, 2010, 08:01:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Kraus

Well my Toshiba Tecra Tablet laptop just died on me and I've got no other laptops that I can use that are working. So I looked around my basement and happened to find a very old laptop, an IBM Thinkpad 570! so old that it has a pentium II processor and only 129 MB of RAM along with a 20GB HDD hard drive. So I try booting it up but the battery is dead and with no charger in sight. With my needing of a laptop I decided to find the power adapter, with luck I found a old Compaq laptop adapter that luckily works with the IBM Thinkpad. So I boot this old puppy up after a long 8 years of being in the corner and find out that its running windows 2k! I was a bit surprised by this because it says that it runs on Windows NT or 98! The only thing about having 2K on this laptop is that the boot process is painfully slow with the processor being as old as it is. It also gets pretty hot, not hot enough to be painful for the lap or anything. The only problem is that its password protected and I can't get on right now -.-

IanDanKilmaster

You should probably start over with a fresh install of '98, that current setup doesn't sound too safe.

Also, are you sure the adapter is the right voltage and everything?  I mean, it might be able to hook up, but if it's running hot you might want to make sure that everything's compatible.

The Choice of a New Generation.

Dr. Kraus

yea getting it prepped for a win 98 SE install through USB because of the lack of a CD drive or floppy drive without an extension module. The voltage is a low 19V because of its age for the adapter and the battery can handle up to 25V so it should be fine.

Sora

No offence, but if you insist on using a really old computer you probably should install Linux.
E 123 \'Omega\': Eggman detected. Begin annihilation sequence.
Miles \'Tails\' Prowler: No, Omega, Eggman is our friend!
E 123 \'Omega\': Small forest creature has gone mad. Suggest immediate termination.

Red-Machine

Nah, 98SE will be fine.  Just malke sure you get AVAST! Antivirus; it's the only one that works on the 9x series these days.
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

NejinOniwa

AVAST? Oh, hells. This isn't gonna end well -w-;
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Red-Machine

Well, the old version of AVAST! did.  Even they seem to have abandoned 9x users now.  :(

Whatever shall we do?

PizzaDrill

Red-Machine

stewartsage

As someone with an aged laptop (Sharp Multimedia) I'd concur with remaining on 98SE.

NejinOniwa

Joo are biased, mai fwend -w-

Personally, linux has saved my day and ass more times than I could ever care to count. It is true that I've never used it as a primary desktop, but I doubt that it would do worse - especially not in the situation you're in...

...unless you REALLY want to install Windows ME, that is. -w-

Red-Machine

Nah, ME is too resource-intensive for that laptop.  98SE is a better bet.

IanDanKilmaster

98SE indeed.

Gentoo ><.

Even if he could find an antivirus that worked on older systems, he'd probably have to disable the active guard because of resources.  Perhaps he could just periodically run scans over the network from his other computer.

If Linux is evil just call me Fuhrer Satan then... it's pulled my ass out of the fire more times than I care to count.

The Choice of a New Generation.

NejinOniwa

Oh, listen to this:

The VAIO I mentioned before REFUSES to install XP. The damn installation fails saying that it can't copy the driver.cab file to the hdd. Hilarity. So i'm off for some *buntu variety, I guess...

Sora

Linux brags about how it runs well on old computers, so...
-shrug-
In the end, it's your choice.
E 123 \'Omega\': Eggman detected. Begin annihilation sequence.
Miles \'Tails\' Prowler: No, Omega, Eggman is our friend!
E 123 \'Omega\': Small forest creature has gone mad. Suggest immediate termination.