Me like cat girls and OSX but i hate Apple  ;025

NewYinzer

QuoteMe like cat girls and OSX but i hate Apple

I feel the same way! As for the OSX Referendum, I cast my vote for:

QuoteShe can be a catchall for the Macintosh HARDWARE itself

Silentbob

Yeah, I guess I'll get on board with that too

SleepyD

I can't in all honesty come to a decision on the Mac girl...

However... I dunno, I've been thinking about the Vis-tan thing, but...
yeah... What I'm thinking is a Vis-tan that is based off of Longhorn, and for reference, I'll be referring to the schoolgirl longhorn with the brown hair and pigtails.

I have this... er... magical girl transformation sequence thing going on in my head. lol It's all Nanoha's fault.

Anyhoo...
-Longhorn symbol thingys in the hair... change to... wonder if there's a name for this... uh... Tri-Wing Screws!
-Speaking of wings, the GUI for Vista is called Aero, correct? Since I don't want to change much, I'll say this refers to the transparent clothing.
-hmm... Aero = "Authentic, Energetic, Reflective and Open" Which I think reflects in the happy schoolgirl Longhorns and in your Shikijou Saori-knockoff's expression. ^^
-I think we should still keep the two thingys of hair coming off each side. I don't care if they're pigtails or not (I don't know if the hair on the Rozen-Maiden one should be called pigtails... heh), but this is a reference to Longhorn, and gives the screws mentioned earlier a purpose.
-As for the actual clothing... well, that's kinda hard for me to decide. I'd like to see someone combine elements of schoolgirl with elements from the Saori costume, A "Modernized schoolgirl uniform" haha I think... it's better to wear a little more of the green and blue stuff and tone down the transparency. (Hey, non-transparency can be sexy too.)
-A nice transition from schoolgirl longhorn to Vis-tan would be nice. That is, base the design off of longhorn. Sure magical girls change to crazy things... but I like smooth transitions. ^^

Well, in short, my brain doesn't like any of them 100%, but a nice combination might work.  If someone actually decides to do this, (I really don't have time) wow, you rule.  A visit to Nijiura might be in order if we actually get one going.  Then we see if it's accepted. ^^   (That is, if one does not notice a consensus on the desing at Nijiura...)

Ooo, someone could make a flash animation of longhorn turning into vista! XD;; (Jeff doesn't know how to use flash.... I can make a square and a circle move around the screen, but I may have forgotten how to do even that) .gif maybe? ^^;

Eeeto... right, one other thing, can anyone here figure out what's in the OS-tan article in the Japanese Wikipedia?  We may be missing out on some stuff that may pertain to these referendums....

Waitaminute, when did I become Windows ME?

Ok, and so this long reply ends.
I should sign it!

-SleepyD
Sleepy-Nerdy-Artistic Procastinator Extraordinaire

C-Chan

http://ostan.blackdiam.net/imeeji/albums/userpics/10570/C64-Amiga.jpg

Holy cow!  I go on an art pilgrimage for two days, and already this thread take a life of its own!  ^__^

So much new stuff going on, I don't know where to start so let me slug through this....  -v-

POINT #1:  Brought this over from the "Which OS-tan Are You" thread.  Some excellent ideas from our resident Yinzer on what to do about the Vista issue...  ^.^

Quote from: "NewYinzer"Bam! I just had an idea!

- Longhorn-tan represents "Longhorn" Server, which comes out in 2008
- The Rozen-Maiden Vista represents Windows Vista Ultimate
- The Screw-haired Ninja Vista represents Windows Vista Starter
- The "Screwy" Generic Schoolgirl Vista represents Windows Vista Home Basic
- The Blonde-Haired Loli w/ Long Pigtails & Windows Logo Hairclips Vista represents Windows Vista Home Premium
- The Shikijou Saori-Knockoff Vista represents Windows Vista Enterprise
- The Blonde-Haired Loli w/ Long Pigtails & Longhorn Logo Hairclips Vista represents Windows Vista Business

Or something along these lines...

I love compromise and making all parties happy, so I say we veer more towards this.  I can still draw the Rozen Maiden one for Wiki, but at least the doors will still be open for someone like MisterCat-san to get the sexy alternative.  ^.^

Point #2:  Thanks to everyone who's voted on the Mac Referendum up until now.  Still, I'm surprised at the number of people who've opted for the hardware option.  very interesting actually, though not surprising since I've often been forced to represent the hardware part instead of the operating system part for an OS-tan (C64-tan for instance, who's native OS was GAWD knows what...  -v-')

Point #3:  Should note that SleepyD touched on an original compromise idea I had for Vista-tan,... a character that merged together multiple facets of favorite designs.  In spite of my current support for the multiple Vista-tan release idea, I still think combination works are great, and essential for me anyway once I begin doing Linux-tan fanwork.  ^__^
[Juggling my mutual admiration for the works of Juzo-kun, Aurora-sama and all the untold 3rd party artists.  ^__^')

Point #4:  Is this what you were talking about, SleepyD?  ^v^

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/OS%E3%81%9F%E3%82%93

Probably worth a post on the Translation Thread, but doesn't seem to have much that's not already on the English one.  Plus, noticed there are no pics... ^^'
Hoping I'm looking at the right one... ^.^'

Point #5:BTW, I still have some rusty Flash skills, but sadly all my Flash ideas have been reappropriated by newfound Amiga-san craze...  ^__^

And which reminds me....

Point #6:  That Art Pilgrimage I was referring to was a mad dash to finish this:

Excellent practice for unix-sama, as I managed to pull off some new vectior drawing and 3D assist techniques that will help me with Unix-sama's portraiture.  ^__^

98% of the pic was done in Inkscape.  The remaining 2% was the landscape rendering in Vue D'Esprit, its modification in Photoshop, and the inevitable Photoshop merging and conversion.  ^v^

Already have this up on my desktop and bought a frame for it too, since I'm a little proud of this purely accidental pic.  ^.^

I may not be able to get AmigaOS now, but at least I'm now considering a dive into AROS.  (One of Amiga-san's de facto "daughters", that runs on x86 machines) ^__^

'Kay, have to run, but will be back with a streamlined Referendum Scorecard and stuff.  ^__^

*trots off*

SleepyD

sou sou, that article.

Oh also, I didn't explicitly mention this, but my idea keeps Longhorn and Vistan as the same person... ^^

NewYinzer

Google translator sucks, but this is about what it says on the Japanese Wikipedia about Longhorn-tan:
QuoteLonghorn

Microsoft OS which is in the midst of developing as the succession OS of Windows XP (Windows Vista) the personification conversion girl. The design which becomes settled from the fact that OS itself is not done release yet does not exist, but there is many a thing which is described with the form which acquires the angle like the water buffalo from the language impression of horn.

Furthermore Longhorn, it is the development code name of the next term Windows in inside the company Microsoft, is not product name. In addition, the name originally as for those which are meant is not the cow and the animal, it was taken from name of the restaurant, which Whistler which exists in North America ([uisura]) is the skiing resort, ââ,¬Å"Longhorn Bar & Saloonââ,¬Â. By the way name of two mountains which is the Whistler skiing resort was, each one ââ,¬Å"Whistlerââ,¬Â and ââ,¬Å"Blackcomb (the black comb)ââ,¬Â was known as the code name of each one Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 succession server OS.

2005 July Windows Vista (development code name Longhorn) announcement is received, the character and position of Longhorn are thought that the possibility in the future of changing is high. Actually the secondary reverse side @ cover with already several degrees Vista (OS doing sufficiently,) the design is discussed, but product release is story ahead for a while, to look at fixation, it has not reached.

But as for design of present condition the girl of ninja style main current, also the character, bis fungus of envy [kiyara] exists. As for oral habit God Satan boy.

SleepyD

I could follow it until they got to "bis fungus of envy [kiyara] exists. As for oral habit God Satan boy."

lol XD;;
Ninja version current? hm... while I do remember that being the first design i saw for Vis-tan, I'm not sure about its popularity....

MisterCat

"Fungus of envy" would be a good screen name ââ,¬â€ or band name.

;012

=^..^=

brougeXP22

Quote"Fungus of envy" would be a good screen name ââ,¬â€ or band name.

lol i might use that name for the band i'm gonna be managing ;010

C-Chan

Oh dear GAWDS,.....  @___@
Okay, I can deal with the Envious Fungus at least after a few swigs of orange juice w/ booster shots.  But why do I get the impression that "As for oral habit God Satan boy." is a Wiki vandalism of sorts..... ^^;

Anyway, try using Bestiland if see if that helps in the translation.  It's smart enough to call an OS-tan "OS-tan" on Niijura, though naturally it ain't fool-proof....  -v-'

Honestly not partial to Vista's ninja design, but we only do have a chibi version afterall.....
Perhaps the full version is some beautiful vixen that combines all the best features of the other designs and positively wooes us all with a mixture of oozing cuteness and obscene sexiness.

Or the simple explanation:  perhaps that article hasn't been updated for a while.... ^___^'

Also, SleepyD, I also feel Longhorn and Vista should be the same character (means less drawing.... ^v^').  However, per NewYinzer's suggestion, we can also appease the die-hard Longhorn fans by giving them the chance to reuse her design for the Longhorn server platforms.  ^__^
No sense in reinventing the wheel, after all, if there's some many good ones in the market.  ^.^

That's probably the only reason why I'm not terribly willing to composite various designs together,... At least for this instance, since I'm not partial to spending too much time on Windows-tans as it is....  [GAWD, I'm biased....]  ^v^'

But certainly LONG pigtail-like things are a definitive must, since you're right that they do convey a sense of "horns".
Call it "horn-i-ness" if you must.... ^v^'

C-One

10 ? "Deployed demo of Condensed Biography solution using Windows ME-tan entry."
20 ? "Please review and provide quality feedback:"
LOAD

Name: Windows Me-tan
aka:  Windows ME, Windows Millennium Edition, Emui-chan
Nationality: Microsoft
DOB: 9/14/2000
Height: 153 cm
Weight: ?? kg
Eye Color: Green
Hair: Green
Blood Type: 16/32

Quick Facts:

- Has cheery and cutesy disposition.
    - Has long and unusually-strong cowlick.
    - Keeps hair in long braided pigtails.
    - Dons a maid outfit with an error icon badge.
    - Freezes constantly and is generally considered least reliable Windows OS.
    - Is a certified klutz
    - Is the second most prolific scallion user before Linspire-tan.
    - Is much sought after by OS9-kun.
    - Loves rollcake.

C-Chan

*reads*

....Meh.

That seems fine, as long as I don't have to write too much.  2 or 3 a day should be enough for me to keep my sanity and yet populate the Annex quickly enough.  -v-

Oh, btw, might also have you condense all that referendum stuff into an easy-to-read format.

Might do it myself, but I'm busy doing nothing.  ^__^

MisterCat

C-Chan, what's all this about me wanting sexy renderings of OS Girls? Well, you're absolutely correct!

;010

By the way, that's a marvelous work of art you've posted.  Thank you for sharing it with us!

;019

(I refer to the one showing the gal with the patriotic red-white-and-blue shirt, who's standing next to the gal wearing the shirt patterned after either a 1940s airport control-tower paint scheme or a sidewalk-café tablecloth.  Please bear in mind I've given up trying to remember who's who when it comes to all these newly-rendered OS Girls, so I beg your pardon when identifying them in such a vulgar manner:  It's just my way of describing how I tell them apart.)

;hi

=^..^=

Alfamille

QuoteQuote from : C-Chan
- She can be a catchall only for classic MacOS releases. This is more the standing held by Alfamille and myself.

Good that we almost have the same opinion of it.

Although...I really strongly believe that she is "System 7". She could really represent the classic MacOS releases since System 7.6 (Harmony) dropped the term "system" when its releases was shipped and officially known as "MacOS" for the very first time. This "MacOS" surely represents the struggle of the classic Apple systems from the late 70's to the 90's.

So its either she could fill in the place exclusively as System 7 and all of the characters for the house of Mac can have its own place or take all from Macintosh to System 7 and replace as MacOS in the Annex.

Hope you dont mind giving myself a thought through this C-chan :)