Started by C-One, September 16, 2006, 07:48:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

C-Chan

*stares aghast at MisterCat*

.................................................O_o

*breaks out laughing*

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!  ;^v^;
Well, ya did shower me with praise just now, so it's all good.... ^-^

Amiga-chan does resemble something you'd see at a pizzeria, and I often joke about that with my peers.... ^V^
However, I did see pictures of vintage 50's clothing that bear that checkered pattern (right done to the monogram!), so I'd let the eyesore pass when I first designed her.

Besides, Pitkin fawns over the table cloth look.... ^.^

(still had to laugh over the airport paint scheme reference.... HAHA!  That was timeless!  ^v^)

The younger girl is in fact Amiga-chan's older half sister, C64-chan; and while the Commodore 64 was made in the US of A, her uniform simply bears her old company's colors (check the Commodore logo in the upper-left hand corner).

Both girls represent old operating systems that were prolific back in the 80's (although AmigaOS has had a dedicated user base, especially in Europe, throughout the 90's, and is definitely making a comeback now).  Both were first released by Commodore International, the "Microsoft" of its era (though they played much more fairly).  C64-chan still wears her old uniform; although certainly after her company went bankrupt, she's stripped down a lot of the burdensome decorations (and plain did away with her hat).
Although still a die-hard techie (albeit of the vintage kind), she's also a devoted gamer and does her best to stay current with the latest youth fads (hence the Naruto forehead,... thingie).

Amiga-chan, though, has gotten rid of her old uniform entirely (except for the hat, which is the last thing that ties her to her old Commodore years).
For a full-version shot, you can check out my very first OS-tan pic [although I warn you, it's a little dated by now... ^^']:

Full Version

And for wiki links, please visit the Binteji Renmei section of the Annex.... ^__^

http://ostan.blackdiam.net/viewtopic.php?p=6100#post_6102

Thank you, though, for enjoying my pic.  ^__^
That's why I draw 'em!  ^v^

QuoteGood that we almost have the same opinion of it.

Although...I really strongly believe that she is "System 7". She could really represent the classic MacOS releases since System 7.6 (Harmony) dropped the term "system" when its releases was shipped and officially known as "MacOS" for the very first time. This "MacOS" surely represents the struggle of the classic Apple systems from the late 70's to the 90's.

So its either she could fill in the place exclusively as System 7 and all of the characters for the house of Mac can have its own place or take all from Macintosh to System 7 and replace as MacOS in the Annex.

Hope you dont mind giving myself a thought through this C-chan  

*laughs*
Oh dear GAWD, Alfamille, why da ya ask.... -v-

[sarcastically]  No, no thoughts from Alfamille are permitted.  Everyone here is allowed to post here except Alfamille.

HAHAHA!!!  ^V^

Of course I don't mind!  ^__^
In fact, I could really use the help of another Mac user as well...  -v-

Actually, perhaps it's because she was never specifically referred to anything with 7 on it, but I can't really see her tied to any particular release.  Certainly I envisioned her as a compression of Macintosh Systems 1 through 8, but that's as far as my imagination would take me.  ^__^

SleepyD

Regarding the mac-tan referendum...
Jeff has now made a decision.

I have reason to believe that she was the initial design for OS X.
Reasons being in the Japanese description of this picture: http://susu.whitesnow.jp/doodle/04040702.html

And also in the OS X gallery in here http://evo7gt-a.hp.infoseek.co.jp/osmac/

And this pic: http://kazumi386.org/%7Eostan2/pic_uploader/mac/src/1147356985390.jpg that I found at this site: http://kazumi386.org/%7Eostan2/pic_uploader/
Note that this seems to be from the pre-OSXcatgirl era.

Hence, I will support either making her a catch-all for OS X or alternatively, the character for OS X Public Beta.

I will also not be against making her 10.0 and 10.1 (Cheetah and Puma) due to the fact that these were internal code names

C-Chan

Wow! SleepyD!  Talk about above and beyond!  OvO

Thank you very much, SleepyD!  ^v^
That there be hard-core proof,....  -v-

And what a gallery you found!  There are TONS of great pics we don't have yet?  ^__^
(How'd you come across it?  ^v^)

Clearly "the catch-all for OSX" alternative has gathered trememdous steam now thanks to his.  If this is really the case, even the entry on Wiki might need to be changed as well, since it also describes that design as being a classic Mac.  '__'

But of course, can't be too hasty just yet.  This may be a powerful case, but we still need consensus anyway.  ^___^

I know for sure I won't support displacing Cheetah or Puma, as the goal here is to keep as many designs preserved as possible.  ^v^

[Oh, and did you check out the dancing Mac-tan?  It's quite a mixture of cuteness and... creepiness....  -v-'
Probably not that difficult to do such an animated GIF, though.]

Alfamille

QuoteWow! SleepyD! Talk about above and beyond! OvO

Thank you very much, SleepyD! ^v^
That there be hard-core proof,.... -v-

And what a gallery you found! There are TONS of great pics we don't have yet? ^__^
(How'd you come across it? ^v^)

Darknight gave it like April this year;

http://ostan.blackdiam.net/viewtopic.php?p=2330#post_2330

QuoteClearly "the catch-all for OSX" alternative has gathered trememdous steam now thanks to his. If this is really the case, even the entry on Wiki might need to be changed as well, since it also describes that design as being a classic Mac. '__'

But of course, can't be too hasty just yet. This may be a powerful case, but we still need consensus anyway. ^___^

I know for sure I won't support displacing Cheetah or Puma, as the goal here is to keep as many designs preserved as possible. ^v^

[Oh, and did you check out the dancing Mac-tan? It's quite a mixture of cuteness and... creepiness.... -v-'
Probably not that difficult to do such an animated GIF, though.]

Tempo-tan LOL!

I really wish they made her more for a character....

By the way I uploaded a dancing Macos-tan in the gallery...although needs admin approval...

Plus it's really impossible for it to be a catchall for all OSX. We can't really ignore those big cats. So I'll stick to the my pick which is she is System 7 (MacOS).

C-Chan

QuoteDarknight gave it like April this year;

http://ostan.blackdiam.net/viewtopic.php?p=2330#post_2330

*turns red*  Gyahaha....  Now I'm embarrassed.... ^^'

Well, not really much of a necroposter,so I haven't really given any thought to looking at old posts.... -v-'

'Kay, live and learn then.  ^__^

QuotePlus it's really impossible for it to be a catchall for all OSX. We can't really ignore those big cats. So I'll stick to the my pick which is she is System 7 (MacOS).

Oh no, I said we're not.  If anyone suggests we get rid of the kitty's, I'll literally have his/her head.  `v'
The underlying purpose of the catchall is to simply make her a "Generic" OSX, much like we had in mind making her a "Generic" Classic Mac, even though we already had an OS9, OS8, OS7, etc crawling about.

On the other hand, perhaps the hardware solution could help settle some redundancies.  Certainly the OSX-era Macs look different than the classic ones, especially now with their 'Mactel" machines.  ^__^

C-Chan added the following  3 hours 58 minutes after last message :

BTW, my latest C64/Amiga-tan pic recently when "Poster", so had to create an updated version with small fixes and an improved background.  Had it uploaded to the Gallery if anyone wants to take a look... ^v^

http://ostan.blackdiam.net/imeeji/albums/userpics/10570/C64-Amiga%7E0.jpg

Speaking of Gallery, thanks to SleepyD's uploads, I realized the "Running OS-tan" series was a lot larger than I thought.  O__o

And the artist was nice enough to add together various OS-tan designs submitted, including the rarer ones like Linux-tan and MSX-DOS-tan.  ^__^

I say this kind of work must be commended!  ^v^
Not only that, but clearly stuff like this lends more credit to having Mac-tan coexist with the OSX kitties, as well as having the Rozen Maiden Vista coexist with other versions.  ^__^
The proof is in the making.  -v-

http://ostan.blackdiam.net/imeeji/albums/userpics/10553/running_across-5.jpg

http://ostan.blackdiam.net/imeeji/albums/userpics/10553/running_across-4.jpg

http://ostan.blackdiam.net/imeeji/albums/userpics/10553/running_across-3.jpg

http://ostan.blackdiam.net/imeeji/albums/userpics/10622/1159794128689.jpg

http://ostan.blackdiam.net/imeeji/albums/userpics/10553/running_across-2.jpg

Aurora Borealis

I've always wondered who the Mac-tan in Alfamille's post was! I had a feeling it was a OS 8-tan, but I wasn't sure so I drew my own version based off that one just in case!

And apparently there is another rendition of Leopard-tan too. Looks good.  She looks a lot like Louise from Zero no Tsukaima but I just hope that she doesn't have the same personality as her though! That'd be scary! ;013

And that wallpaper with all 6 OS X wildcats = instant awesome to me! *explodes from delight* (Except there are 2 Vistans there too, but I like the Rozen Maiden-style one though)

But what's with the flying Homeko on the wallpaper below it? Can 2 Homekos coexist without fighting over Homeo? And who is that creepy-looking nudist next to XPMCE-tan? ;018 No wonder why she and the others are running away! But it's nice to see XMPCE-tan not looking trampy though-- *shot*

*gets back up*  And on the same wallpaper.. Redhat-tan and Fedora-tan! :D (They're 2 of my favorite Linux distro-tans)

And on that second to bottom one, it looks like 95-tan wants to attack 98-tan! (Possibly for the same reason as Secchan would? RUN 98-TAN, RUN!)

MisterCat

C-Chan, thanks for all this wonderful new art!  (Thanks to you, too, Ms Borealis!)  It's great stuff.

;010

=^..^=

C-Chan

Thank you MisterCat-san.
The Annex is here to serve all works of art, not just my own creations...  -v-

QuoteI've always wondered who the Mac-tan in Alfamille's post was! I had a feeling it was a OS 8-tan, but I wasn't sure so I drew my own version based off that one just in case!

Aside from the uber-chibiness of the one Alfamille posted, it does kinda look like a baby-version of the OS8-tan you drew.  So no worries here.  ^__^

QuoteAnd apparently there is another rendition of Leopard-tan too. Looks good. She looks a lot like Louise from Zero no Tsukaima but I just hope that she doesn't have the same personality as her though! That'd be scary!

Whoops, that complicates things.  ^__^
*stares at picture*  Actually, aside from the pink hair and the lighter-colored clothing, both your designs are similar.  Before I finish all the OSX wiki avi's, do you feel the need to alter your Leopard-tan a bit in light of this new discovery?  '_'

QuoteAnd that wallpaper with all 6 OS X wildcats = instant awesome to me! *explodes from delight* (Except there are 2 Vistans there too, but I like the Rozen Maiden-style one though)

Yeah, that one's my favorite too since it has a consistent number of OS-tans that I like.  ^__^

QuoteBut what's with the flying Homeko on the wallpaper below it? Can 2 Homekos coexist without fighting over Homeo? And who is that creepy-looking nudist next to XPMCE-tan? No wonder why she and the others are running away! But it's nice to see XMPCE-tan not looking trampy though-- *shot*

HAHA!!  Glad I wasn't the only one who thought that...  ^__^;
Later on, we should gather everyone to play a little "Who's that OS-tan".  Cause there are a couple I can't identify either.  ^__^'

(BTW, the nudist has 64 on it.  Hmmm.... *ponders* -___-)

Quote*gets back up* And on the same wallpaper.. Redhat-tan and Fedora-tan! (They're 2 of my favorite Linux distro-tans)

And the ones who inspired your particular designs, too.  ^.^

QuoteAnd on that second to bottom one, it looks like 95-tan wants to attack 98-tan! (Possibly for the same reason as Secchan would? RUN 98-TAN, RUN!)

FUfufu.... there's another bottle opener....  ^v^'

Actually of all the -tans shown, Linux-tan has to be my favorite one depicted due to her really BIG exposure... ^__^'

SleepyD

Quote from: "C-Chan"
QuotePlus it's really impossible for it to be a catchall for all OSX. We can't really ignore those big cats. So I'll stick to the my pick which is she is System 7 (MacOS).

Oh no, I said we're not.  If anyone suggests we get rid of the kitty's, I'll literally have his/her head.  `v'
The underlying purpose of the catchall is to simply make her a "Generic" OSX, much like we had in mind making her a "Generic" Classic Mac, even though we already had an OS9, OS8, OS7, etc crawling about.

On the other hand, perhaps the hardware solution could help settle some redundancies.  Certainly the OSX-era Macs look different than the classic ones, especially now with their 'Mactel" machines.  ^__^

I still stick to my vote on the catch-all OS X.  I'm a bit uneasy on the hardware thing...

BTW, my latest C64/Amiga-tan pic recently when "Poster", so had to create an updated version with small fixes and an improved background.  Had it uploaded to the Gallery if anyone wants to take a look... ^v^

http://ostan.blackdiam.net/imeeji/albums/userpics/10570/C64-Amiga%7E0.jpg

Jeff likes teh C64/Amiga.  Jeff likes background. Jeff likes sky. Jeff is pleased to see the birghtness of the sky with the tree gone. That is all. ^^

Speaking of Gallery, thanks to SleepyD's uploads, I realized the "Running OS-tan" series was a lot larger than I thought.  O__o

And the artist was nice enough to add together various OS-tan designs submitted, including the rarer ones like Linux-tan and MSX-DOS-tan.  ^__^

I say this kind of work must be commended!  ^v^
Not only that, but clearly stuff like this lends more credit to having Mac-tan coexist with the OSX kitties, as well as having the Rozen Maiden Vista coexist with other versions.  ^__^
The proof is in the making.  -v-

I couldn't upload the entire thing to the gallery, but here is the image with all the walls put together.  Whether this was the original or if the artist just put them all together, I do not know.

Welp, it be here: http://xs207.xs.to/xs207/06416/runningacross-all.jpg almost 500k, so warning: big image.

C-Chan

Okey-dokey, Aurora stays firm on green-haired Leopard-tan.  ^__^

*continues to keep original Leopard-tan Wiki avi on queue*

Though the little ribbon on the front is kinda cute... ^.^
Maybe just that little change, perhaps?  ^v^

As far as those relations go, I have and will have to tackle that question a lot as new OS-tan descriptions get added to the Annex (and the bios are being filled in slowly but surely, btw).

Actually, Mother/Sister relationships are pretty discretionary themselves and surely that's gonna get messy once we get to the Linux/Unix-tans.  But for now, I would say that a plain "sister" is simply a continuation of an OS release (e.g., Windows 95 > Windows 98 > Windows 98SE > Windows ME, etc.), while a "mother" should more-or-less be the first OS release (e.g., Windows NT or Windows 1.0 or Apple I or [of course] UNIX).

And for the others:

Twin Sister: Two independent variants of a common operating systems released and maintained at the same time (e.g., MS-DOS and PC-DOS)

Cousin::  The OS derived from a branch-off in an existing line.  (e.g., if DarwinOS becomes a successful enough OS to have her own "daughter" variants, those OS-tans would be cousins of the OSX kitties.  ^^)

Stepsister:  An OS is merged into an existing line straight from another company.  (should be very rare, but one possible example might be A/UX-tan, who  at the time became an honorary member of the Mac family even though she was, in fact, a Unix-tan.)

Half-Sister:  An OS that's produced jointly between two companies, at least one of which already has a functioning OS.  (e.g., OS/2-tan is the half-sister of the non-NT Windows-tans, being a collaborative effort between Microsoft and IBM.  Interestingly, Amiga-tan is also a half-sister of the Commodore-tans, since she combines TripOS-tan's lineage with elements of the abandoned CAOS-tan, may she RIP.)  -_-

Godparent:  Not 100% sure if the Japanese follow any godparenthood (or equivalent), so not sure how this would translate to the OS-tan world unless the target -tans are specifically Western and religious.  I should note that there probably are OS-tans that could be considered "GodParent"-like (meaning unrelated OS that are not merged into an existing line, but still help it out in some way).  
NextSTEP-tan might be a good example, since she helped bring about the OSX line.  And as far as my preconcept design goes, Xenix-tan would be kind of like the old "godparent" and caretaker of the Windows line -- if not for her efforts to bring in revenue for an emerging Microsoft, we'd be glomping over completely different OS-tans today.  ^.^

C-Chan added the following  8 minutes after last message :

QuoteI still stick to my vote on the catch-all OS X. I'm a bit uneasy on the hardware thing...

Alrighty then, it does seem like fate is steering us more towards the catch-all option after all.  ^__^
Personally quite fine with that.  ^.^

QuoteJeff likes teh C64/Amiga. Jeff likes background. Jeff likes sky. Jeff is pleased to see the birghtness of the sky with the tree gone. That is all. ^^

Thank you SleepyD, He who doth refer to Himself by RL name and in 3rd person.... ^v^'
Yeah, wasn't happy with the tree, so just got rid of it.  Really does help brighten the mood, no pun intended.  ^__^

QuoteI couldn't upload the entire thing to the gallery, but here is the image with all the walls put together. Whether this was the original or if the artist just put them all together, I do not know.

Either way, it's beautiful work!  ^__^
Now I'm inspired to do the same one day for all the "OS-Tan Collections" -tans created.  ^.^

Anyway, I think I'll call it a day for now.  -v-
Not only does UNIX-sama need work, but I also have to look through all those cool galleries for upload material.  ^v^

And then we have to figure out who all those running OS-tans are, as there are a couple of ones that I've never seen before.  ^__^'

C-One

Ccccc!

10 ? "Added Mac OS9.2 to the House of Mac'.
20 ? "Changed DOS/V's affiliation from Windows Family to Dosse, due to IBM/PC-DOS origins."
30 ? "Please note that bio files have already been added to MS-DOS thru Windows 98."
40 ? "Thank you very much for your patronage."

*bows"

50 GOTO 40

C-Chan

Oooh,... in other words, you'll essentially write the bios for me.  ^.^

That could hasten the process by which I populate your -tans, so that does sound great.  ^___^

Thank you, Aurora-sama!  ^v^

[BTW, do you like the short bio format so far?  ^^']

http://ostan.blackdiam.net/viewtopic.php?p=6100#post_6100

C-Chan added the following  2 minutes after last message :

In other news, the Cheetah Wiki Avi is almost done.  ^.^

If I can average a kitty girl per hour, I might have everyone from Cheetah to Leopard by Wednesday.  ^__^

BTW, you sure you wouldn't like the small bow on Leopard-tan?  ^v^

Aurora Borealis

Yeah, I like the short bio format! It's straightfoward yet informative! (best of both worlds) Actually, Leopard-tan would look really cute with the little bow on top! ^^

And I'm also curious how you will draw the "unofficial OS-tans with multiple renditions". It's been mentioned before involving some sort of compromise to combine them but I don't know what you have in mind specifically for each OS-tan when combining designs.

MisterCat

Does this mean there's no place for DOS Kitty?  I'm hoping this is simply a misunderstanding on my part.  *fights back tears*

;026

=^..^=

C-Chan

Aurora:  I'm gonna have to deal with it carefully on a case-by-case basis.  Leopard-tan is probably a great example, since I specifically promised you a rendition of yours, but in light of this new discovery I feel obliged to honor the efforts of the other artist.  Hence, the little compromises here and there (such as keeping your hair color but the artist's bow).

MisterCat:  Hehe... well these are Mac kitties I'm working on at the moment.  ^^'
But even so, I disclaimed that the Annex is exclusively for OS-tans [with exceptions stated otherwise, in this case as C-One and Bash].  DOSKitty [which is kinda, sort of a prop really], the OS-kuns, App-tans, Hardware-tans, etc., will be part of the OS universe, but just won't have their own listing (at least not yet anyway).  ^__^