Previous topic - Next topic

Bella

The MITs WERE A FACTION.

THEY WERE.
A
FACTION.

WORD OF GOD.

Aurora Borealis

@Choco: The only really violent holdover (and was the only really violent one, AFAIK) is NOS-tan. MACE-kun is boisterous and obnoxious to others, but not diabolical like NOS. SCOPE-sama is still so competitive because she had to put up with a lot of crap from her colleagues who had no faith in her ability to succeed.

@Bella: I thought the MITs were more of a bloodline than anything else since many of the MITs lived apart.. err... I got confused about this again. x__x

stewartsage

1959-1989(?)

It's..... complicated.  Most CDC programs/hardware/other utilities see COS/SCOPE as their rightful leader.  However, most of the proper Chippewa Falls branch of the family listens more to her technical deputy MACE.  Nevertheless, even MACE respects SCOPE for her strong sense of family.... plus her weird hair and bizarre motivational speeches.  Except for NOS.  No one speaks of NOS.  Not even her daughter NOS/VE.  Except for KRONOS.  KRONOS is probably who actually holds everyone together, preventing MACE and SCOPE from entering some sort of actual confrontation.  Actually they're a still inexplicably tight (and alive) family mainly because they spread so far through the business/scientific field in the 60's-70's and are still needed today.  As such, there's probably a lot less strife these days.  As for enemies, the CRAY's are still looked upon by SCOPE as her 'children' despite Seymour Cray's animosity towards CDC after he departed.  The hardware still has a lot of ties to the older machines and I can't imagine they'd actually fight.  Their big enemy, along with the rest of the Midwestern Confederation is actually the evil and mysterious DEC's of the East Coast.

Delusions of grandeur Borya -____-

NOS is only interested in Batman villainesque plots against her CDC brethern; MACE is like SCOPE's hyper competitive younger brother/union organizer.  He may be a dick, but he still cares about his family.  Besides, KRONOS wouldn't let any of them hurt each other.  And yes, SCOPE has a massive inferiority complex but no real mean streak.  Except for DEC's.  And NOS.

Aurora Borealis

Thanks, Stew! I'll see if I can draft up an article for them based on that! :)

EDIT: What would have been the full name of their faction?

stewartsage

Nothin' fancy, probably just Control Data Corporation

Aurora Borealis

And who was the founder of the faction? I'm getting started on a draft for the article now.

stewartsage

Sorry, I passed out.

That would technically be Mass Storage Operating System-san (Chippewa Operating System's mother) and her sister CDC MASTER-sama (the creator of SCOPE's inferiority complex).

Aurora Borealis

Any details for those two yet?

Especially curious how MASTER lost her status (got her just desserts?), and what she did to SCOPE to cause her inferiority complex.

EDIT: Here's the first draft.

stewartsage

There's some, but I never gave them a full work up because there really isn't much information on either.  There's a book on MSOS at Bitsavers, but the whole deal seems to be down at the moment. 

MSOS-san
-Quiet and patient
-Not as capable as her sister so she has to work harder to make up for it
-Expert in aeronautics
-Proud of COS-chan
-Defected to the Soviet Union (possibly)
-Died in the mid-seventies in Bucharest(?)

CDC MASTER-sama: You're out of luck Aurora-dono, MASTER's an expert Karma Houdini.  As the OS for the upper tier 3000 series computers she was always hard on her elder sister (MSOS), bragging about how superior she was compared to her.  When COS dared, dared better herself (move from low end to high end) and become SCOPE she still relentlessly hounded her until SCOPE became, well, SCOPE.  Even when the 6000 series became CDC's premier product line with SCOPE leading the charge as it's high end OS, she never managed to forget MASTER's insults.  As for MASTER, well, she never really lead the company (nor did MSOS); neither of them ever even dreamed of that.  However, by SCOPE's time CDC was feeling the pressure from IBM and made SCOPE the face of the company.  MASTER continued to rule Chippewa Falls in name until her death in the late 70s, but her general disinterest in power or even talking with the lesser elements of the company meant MACE was pretty much in control from his creation on.

As for territory, the CDC's are the most powerful presence in the Upper Midwest; their two bases of power are in Chippewa Falls, WI (R&D) and Minneapolis, MN (corporate).  They fought the Short Victorious War with DEC in the 70s that established their right to trade throughout the country.

Aurora Borealis

Thanks for the details!

Damn, I was hoping SCOPE would have dueled against MASTER and won, if not for leadership, but for personal honor. So MASTER just had a superiority complex and didn't like any *ahem* low-end systems surpassing her?

I don't know if you have and details for their appearance yet, but I'd see MSOS as being down-to-earth while MASTER is very flashy. Can't help but envision that the reason SCOPE dresses simply is to distance herself even further from her.

Chocofreak13

looking forward to all of their profiles. ^^

hey aurora, why aren't the pictures showing up in the wiki? :\
click to make it bigger

Aurora Borealis

Do you mean the pictures for nearly all the character pages?

I removed those because the 100x100 format just didn't do the full-sized wiki articles any justice. I thought replacing those with larger (200x200) images would be better, and there are a lot that need replacing. The 100x100 pics however, are used in the Annex Project.

Updates: I added CDC MASTER and MSOS to the list (Deceased)

Profiles for GMOS-sama and her daughters:

* Name: BESYS-tan
    * aka: Bell Operating System
    * Debut: 1957
    * Died: unknown
    * Height: 166 cm (~5'5.5")
    * Weight: ?? kg
    * Eye Color: Blue
    * Hair: Dark blue

* Quick Facts:
          o -Daughter of GMOS, half-sister to UMES and IBSYS.
          o -Had many jobs
          o -Loves to sing, might have been the OS for the Daisy Bell computer.
          o -Her claim is disputed with IBSYS-tan.
          o -Hard to get along with (no technical support)
          o -influenced Multics' creation, and felt resentful for being 'replaced'.
          o -Wore jewelry with bells in them, and dresses with floral accessories.

* Name: General Motors Operating System
    * aka: GM-NAA I/0
    * Debut: 1955
    * Height: 167 cm (~5'6")
    * Weight: ?? kg
    * Eye Color: Light blue
    * Hair: Light brown

* Quick Facts:
          o -Older sisters were ASCC/Harvard Mark I and SSEC, but they died before she could meet them.
          o -Matriarch of all later IBM-tans.
          o -Mother of UMES, IBSYS and BESYS.
          o -Was a queen-like figure and revered as such.
          o -Had an array of assembly line workers.
          o -First OS created. Considered very unusual -or even freaky- by her hardware-based contemporaries.
          o -Still revered by the IBM-tans, though they don't know much, if anything about her.
          o -Dresses in a mix of Elizabethan and Victorian fashions, in the GM colors.
          o -Wears a tiara.

* Name:IBSYS-tan
    * aka: SHARE
    * Debut: 1959 (as SHARE OS)
    * Height: 168 cm (5'6")
    * Weight: ??kg
    * Eye Color: Light blue
    * Hair: Grey

* Quick Facts:
          o -Quiet and reserved.
          o -UMES-tan's sister, both are direct descendants of GMOS-sama.
          o -A rocket scientist.
          o -Obsessed with sorting and filing things.
          o -Likes to perform card tricks.
          o -Dresses conservatively, wears high-collared dresses.
          o -Dresses mainly in dark green and grey- the IBM 7094 colors.

* Name: UMES-tan
    * aka: "University of Michigan Executive System"
    * Debut: 1958
    * Died: late 1960's
    * Height: 158 cm (5'2")
    * Weight: ??kg
    * Eye Color: Blue
    * Hair: Blonde

* Quick Facts:
          o -Predecessor and older sister to MTS-tan.
          o -IBSYS-tan's (twin?) sister.
          o -Jealous of MTS's widespread attention and overall flashiness.
          o -Otherwise good-natured, and had a subtle sense of humor.
          o -An avid reader of MAD Magazine.
          o -A contemporary and friend of CTSS-tan.
          o -Has wavy blonde hair, wears glasses.
          o -Her dresses are blue+brown, worn with a scarf and have a winter flair to them.

Chocofreak13

@aurora: but i can't see ANY pictures. period. it just shows up as code.

is is cause i'm using opera? :\
click to make it bigger

Aurora Borealis

Can I see a screenshot of it? I didn't know such an issue would exist with that. :(

Chocofreak13

click to make it bigger