OS-tan Annex Project Revival

Started by Aurora Borealis, February 20, 2010, 01:17:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chocofreak13

click to make it bigger

Aurora Borealis

@Choco: You like? :) There is an avatar of her, and a chibi, but they're a bit outdated.

Two new wiki avis:

Bella

Colossus-sama looks cooltastic there Aurora. @v@

Chocofreak13

@aurora: for the longest time i saw lunar-tan in the gallery and there was no explanation of what she was. :\
click to make it bigger

Aurora Borealis

I originally considered posting this in the wiki thread, but thought this would be a better place to:

Any thoughts about the faction infobox so far? There were some sections I considered adding but wasn't sure about, such as:

*Family matriarchs: They tend to have diplomatic power in their families, but might not necessarily be the leader, nor even the founder. (assuming that the current Mac and Windows-tans are the leaders of their respective factions)

*Allies and enemies

*Who would be considered the founders of the Windows Family and House of Mac factions? Both of them have predecessors with known founders (Xenix founding the MS-IBM Family, Apple I and II founding the Apple Family), but what about the successors?

Chocofreak13

i like the infobox. i also like the idea of adding these extra features. i'm one of those people that loves the random little details, and all too often i'm left scratching my head because people didn't think to provide the random tidbits like the dead queen's blood type or the name of the founder of the female constitution. :\

my vote: keep the design, add the details. you can't really provide TOO MUCH info. :3
click to make it bigger

Aurora Borealis

I like adding details too, but want to keep them at least somewhat relevant.

For these details, here's what I have for the founders:

• MS-IBM Family: Xenix
  • Apple Family: Apple I + II
  • Binteeji Renmei: Amiga, Apple II, Lisa, GS/OS, Windows 1.0, 2.0 (six co-founders), Unix (benefactress)
  • Commodore Military: Commodore Minuteman
  • DEC Military: PDP-1 (also matriarch) and TOPS-10 (original leader)
  • Unix dynasty: Unix
  • Linux Union: Linux
  • Linux/Unix Consortium: Linux and Unix (both also matriarchs and co-leaders)
  • Anti$oft Coalition: OS/2 and RISC OS
  • User Space Gang: Plan 9 (also matriarch)
  • DOSSE: DOS/360 (benefactress to the DOSSE)
  • CIOST: VMS (also leader)
  • Mainframe Guild: several
  • Wanderer Class: none

Factions I'm not sure of:
*House of Mac: Would Apple II still be considered the founder, although she left in 1993 and the remainder of the Apple Family renamed themselves?

*Windows Family: Established after the MS-IBM Family broke up. NT and 95 would be the founders of the Windows dynasty as we know it though.

Factions I'm really not sure of. Bella and Stew, please help me out here! You know way more about these more than I do!

• IBM dynasty and its multiple branches: Harvard Mark I and SSEC? They're among GMOS's predecessors, and GMOS is the matriarch of all later IBMs.
  • MIT: Whirlwind?
  • CDC: ? (all I know is that SCOPE is the leader)
  • Burroughs: ?
  • and were Bull and Honeywell their own factions too?

And as for the matriarchs:

• Windows Family: NT and 95
  • House of Mac: Rhapsody/OSX Server, and possibly Mac System 1. And there's Apple I, long-deceased, and none of the Macs knew her, but still revered.
  • Apple Family: Apple I and II
  • Binteeji Renmei: ?
  • DOSSE: DR-DOS (also leader)
  • Commodore Military: PET?
  • IBM: GMOS
  • DEC Military: PDP-1
  • MIT: ?
  • CDC: ?
  • Unix Family: Unix (of all Unix-tans), BSD (co-matriarch of BSD-based Unix-tans in the LUC)
  • Linuces: Linux (to all Linux-tans)
  • Wanderer Class doesn't have any, and the CIOST presumably doesn't either.

Bella

QuoteFactions I'm really not sure of. Bella and Stew, please help me out here! You know way more about these more than I do!

* IBM dynasty and its multiple branches: Harvard Mark I and SSEC? They're among GMOS's predecessors, and GMOS is the matriarch of all later IBMs.
    * MIT: Whirlwind?
    * CDC: ? (all I know is that SCOPE is the leader)
    * Burroughs: ?
    * and were Bull and Honeywell their own factions too?

Certainly NOT Harvard Mark I. She was removed from IBM territory at an early age and was entirely divorced from the culture. SSEC seems unlikely too; she had a brief moment in the sun but left no real legacy.

If you ask me, GMOS would be the "founder" of the family. Even though it's chronologically not correct...

Imma play Fill In the Blanks here, Aurora-dono~

And as for the matriarchs:

• Windows Family: NT and 95
  • House of Mac: Rhapsody/OSX Server, and possibly Mac System 1. And there's Apple I, long-deceased, and none of the Macs knew her, but still revered.
  • Apple Family: Apple I and II
  • Binteeji Renmei: None? They aren't family...
  • DOSSE: DR-DOS (also leader)
  • Commodore Military: PET?
  • IBM: GMOS
  • DEC Military: PDP-1
  • MIT: Whirlwind
  • CDC: SCOPE
  • Unix Family: Unix (of all Unix-tans), BSD (co-matriarch of BSD-based Unix-tans in the LUC)
  • Linuces: Linux (to all Linux-tans)
  • Wanderer Class doesn't have any, and the CIOST presumably doesn't either.

I'm not so sure about SCOPE, but the others I'm quite confident in.

Aurora Borealis

Thanks! I had thought that Harvard Mark I was the oldest IBM-tan, although she defected from their culture and created her own lineage, and wasn't sure if SSEC lived long enough to be influential to later IBM-tans, then I remembered that she died before GMOS was born.

Was I correct that Whirlwind founded the MIT lineage and factions? They're a large group, aren't they, and doesn't the MIT faction have its branches too?

The Binteeji Renmei aren't family in the traditional sense, but they are united and like one big happy family!

Hmm... Not sure if SCOPE is the matriarch... maybe. She's the oldest CDC-tan I know of.

Chocofreak13

i think apple I and II are the founders of the current mac family. since apple I is revered, it would make sense. plus, family names can change very easily, for example if a matriarch gets married. :3

windows 1 is the founder of windows. and i considered NT and 95 the matriarchs in name only. Since 3.1's the oldest, she's probably the one pulling the strings. :\
click to make it bigger

Bella

Quote from: Aurora Borealis on February 13, 2011, 05:21:29 PM
Thanks! I had thought that Harvard Mark I was the oldest IBM-tan, although she defected from their culture and created her own lineage, and wasn't sure if SSEC lived long enough to be influential to later IBM-tans, then I remembered that she died before GMOS was born.

Was I correct that Whirlwind founded the MIT lineage and factions? They're a large group, aren't they, and doesn't the MIT faction have its branches too?

I've never thought of it before. But I think Harvard Mark I IS the first IBM computer. Dispite being referenced in no IBM histories as such. Weird. o___o

That being said, neither SSEC nor Mark I particularly influenced IBM society. The earliest (hardware) ancestor that IBM-tans would recognize, in all likelihood, would be 701...

By being the first MIT computer Whirlwind is indeed the matriarch and probably the leader until her death. She is also the ancestor (direct or indirect) of all MIT-tans, a fair share of IBM-like mainframe-tans of the day (via her connection to SAGE, AN/FSQ and IBM 7090) and the direct ancestor of the DEC PDP hardwares (and possibly OSes).

Stew would know about the CDC-tans....

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on February 13, 2011, 07:47:00 PM
i think apple I and II are the founders of the current mac family. since apple I is revered, it would make sense. plus, family names can change very easily, for example if a matriarch gets married. :3

windows 1 is the founder of windows. and i considered NT and 95 the matriarchs in name only. Since 3.1's the oldest, she's probably the one pulling the strings. :\

Marriage? In my OS-TANEVERSE?! Unthinkable. Well. I think the only married couple might be LINC and PDP-8. <__<

But remember Kari, in the OS-tan canon Windows 1.0 and Windows 2.0 were forcibly removed from the family and all vestiges of their ever existing erased. This means that 3.1-tan is most likely the accepted "founder" of Windows. =.=

Aurora Borealis

@Choco:

Apple/Mac Family: That works, though the current Mac Family is the successor of the original Apple Family and although similarities remained, the Macs took on a culture of their own.

When Apple II, Lisa and GS/OS retired, back then System 7 was the current Mac OS, and was then the leader of the new Mac House.

Sure, Windows 1 started the Windows line, but in the old  MS-IBM Family, it was MSDOS and PCDOS who were the main breadwinners and the most influential (but PCDOS lost her influence after the breakup, and MSDOS lost hers at least a decade ago), while Windows 1 and 2 were more obscure, and ultimately exiled.  And the mother figure to both the DOS-twins, 1.0, 2.0 and OS/2 was Xenix, who also founded the faction (with Altair as a benefactress).

3.1 didn't fight much, if at all in the OS Wars, unlike NT and 95 who were trained from birth to fight. 3.1's role is unusual, she's the oldest Windows-tan in the Windows Family faction, but in some ways she's a big sister figure, and others a little sister figure.

Though I'd like to think that 3.1 watched NT and 95 in their training sessions and learned some things, if not how to fight, but learn some mastermind skills. :)

NT is of course, the mother of the modern Windows-tans, and 95 is the big sister/onee-chan figure who is also considered motherly, and powerful in her own right. They were the ones who ushered in a generation of great prosperity for their family and the younger generations of Windows-tans, making them better suited for the matriarch role than 3.1.

EDIT: Now to reply to Bella's response:

@Bella: Since Whirlwind was at times in a comatose state, wouldn't there have to be a substitute leader when she wasn't able to lead? I think CTSS would have been a good candidate because she had many students.

And of the whole MIT clan, it had its branches and new families being created, yes?

*attempts makeshift diagram*

Whirlwind ---> CTSS, SAGE, PDP-1(daughters)

CTSS ----> Multics (adopted daughter), ITS (MIT student), CP/CMS (student)
*Multics ---> Unix ----> Created Unix dynasty

SAGE ---> BUIC, SABRE (daughters)

PDP-1 ----> created DEC lineage

I can't recall where AN/FSQ and IBM 7090 fit it. Wasn't the AN/FSQ what SAGE ran on, and the 7090 what CTSS ran on?

Any concepts for a 701-tan, or is GMOS still better suited as the founder and matriarch of the IBM dynasties?

I agree with 3.1 being the founder of the Windows Family as we know it!

Chocofreak13

(my take on it)
3.1 likely was the strategist, as the heavy fighting seemed to happen after she was released. she probably knows some sort of secret technique that dwarfs the competition. i see her age as wisdom, which is why i make her the true matriarch.
95-tan seems to be an aunt figure to all. (in my comic) she takes care of 98 and SE after their mother (yamada) left.
NT is a mother/aunt figure to everyone, but especially inu-t.
2k seems to be like a surrogate mother to ME and Pizza (more like a big sister caring for the younger siblings when the mother is absent).

being a breadwinner ≠ founder.
click to make it bigger

Aurora Borealis

I was trying to explain how 1.0, although the founder of the Windows-tans wasn't necessarily the founder of the Windows Family faction as we know it, but Bella explained it better than I could. x__x

I agree with your interpretations of NT and 95, but Yamada isn't an OS-tan, she's a wannabe OS-tan. 98's and 98SE's biological mother is 1.0-tan, but they don't know that. They were born well after 1.0 and 2.0 were exiled, but let's just say that the executives of the Family headquarters kept 1.0-tan's genes sequenced so her biological descendants could be created from them. Thought I should try and bridge up that bit of fridge logic.

Maybe Yamada was to be 98's and 98SE's adoptive mother, or babysitter, but left, so 95 and NT (mainly 95, as NT was to have kids of her own) took up that responsibility.

Fully agree with 2k's role. Pizza is another OS-tan wannabe, but it's really nice of 2k to not file a restraining order or revenge against Pizza for messing with her so much! ^^;

EDIT: Updated faction infobox to include the matriarch
*[link]

Chocofreak13

like i said, that's just my take. and yamada's not a wannabe. she was supposed to be the -tan for 98, but was criticized for being too plain. >:[

but windows 1 bears the family name!! without her the rest of the line wouldn't exist!!
she has the crazy dude selling her!! just because my biological grandpa and his mother brought shame upon the family doesn't mean i forsake them as my decendants!! and the same applies here! even if they failed their duties, they're FAMILY. :[

pizza may not be an OS, but i don't think she's a "wannabe", per se. she's just a 2k fangirl.

ty for updating the infobox. i feel like it's relevant. ^^
click to make it bigger