OS-tan Annex Project Revival

Started by Aurora Borealis, February 20, 2010, 01:17:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krizonar

I'm thinking that Lion is probably like, THE leader (like how in some stories a person may not be the most powerful or have anything special, but they are THE leader), since Mission control is like, THE leader!
She's very diplomatic towards all Macs, since she is basically all the Mac OS's (even the iOS) put together and she understand's everyone's pains and desires well (meaning she gets along with the classic Macs too). She doesn't like fighting and most fights she get into just end with her having kind words for the opposition and befriending them.
She's very task oriented and can focus well, she also has an eye for detail, but can see the big picture too if she tries. She will most likely take care of things around the house such as finances and helping the Mac house's recovery (the Mac app store was debuted at the same time as Lion and has made a lot of money, I also find it extremely easy to use) and using her attention for detail to be a neat freak! She's not a full blown maid, but she does like having things clean. She is very strong willed and likes to stick to the rules, giving anyone who breaks one a little talk! She will be a player of the piano with her advanced multi-touch gestures. A photographic memory she has! (auto save)

I'm thinking she will be like a mix of Apple I, Mac OS 9 and Win2k, personality wise.

There's my speculation at it.

Bella

That she is, but looks can be deceiving dear Aurora-hime. -w-

Nej and I concluded, in a bit of character brainstorming, that OSX Lion-tan's defining trait would be the big one, the bad one, the deadliest of the sins - pride. Macs are a proud family, of course, but her self-security and self-confidence is bordering on the extravagant - just look at how she carries herself, how she dresses and chooses to wear a crown! She's intelligent like her sisters, but rather lazy and uninspired too - although she could choose to use her sister's Time Machine, she prefers not to because of the difficulties involved in temporal travel. Plus there's nothing in the past that particularly interests her.   

Unlike our asocial genius Snow/Leopard, Lion-tan is spectacularly gregarious - even forming bonds with the Windows and Linux-tans to quench her insatiable thirst for social interactions. Nej speculated that this uncontrolled friendliness might even drive a wedge through the Mac family - though whether she chooses to be friendly to outsiders to instigate conflict with her own kin or if it's an unintentional side-effect is up to interpretation.

It's worth pointing out the unnerving similarities between OSX Lion-tan and GECOS-sama, something that runs deeper than their both sharing lions as character anthropomorphisms. Both are proud, social, tactical and good speakers - and both choose to conquer by words and charm, not spell or sword. Both can also be said to be treacherous toward family - in GECOS' case, this rivalry was aimed squarely at Multics (her step-sister) and was an intense dislike, while Lion's rivalry is more generalised and less personal. At any rate, Snow/Leopard would probably be rather paranoid around Lion - especially if she knows what transpired between Multics and GECOS. (And she does.)

Because of this, Unix-sama steers clear of Lion-tan - even if it's not on a conscious level, she doesn't particularly like her because she's too reminiscent of GECOS-sama. Not that Lion really cares about Unix's shunning her - Leopard, after all, is closer to Unix-sama and ended up becoming her intertemporal errand-girl because of it. =W=

QuoteLion-tan, however isn't the only contender to challenge Tiger-tan's leadership- don't forget OSX-tan herself! So that would make a three-way rivalry between them! (Poor Rhapsody-tan... she never wanted her daughters to fight like that!)

Do you mean "Generic" Mac-tan?

QuoteWould she give any thought to the Classic-tans though? In-story, Leopard-tan didn't at first (was misguided- wanting them to retire because she thought it'd be a nice thing to do), but learned that nobody in the family should be left behind.

I'm doubtful that Lion-tan would have any strong feelings for the Classic Macs. Leopard-tan's misguided attempt to get the Classics to retire was a result of her social cluelessness, while Lion on the other hand is ambivalent - not caring for the Classics beyond the requisite amount that a Mac-tan must to be a part of the family. -v-

Aurora Borealis

@Bella: yeah by OSX-tan I meant the 'generic' Mac-tan.

Sad that she doesn't have any interest in the past, since she can't appreciate Apple I's, Apple II's and GS/OS's contributions, the struggles the Classic-tans went through in the OS Wars, and then joining together with the early OSX-tans to rebuild their nation, and how increasingly influential the faction has become over the years.

Each OSX-tan is more confident than the next, with Panther and Tiger both being the best balance between confidence and being grounded in reality. Leopard-tan was arrogant, and still something of a smartass, but learned to appreciate others from her time travel experiences! Though learning from her mistakes helped too!

Lion-tan is another step forward in self-confidence among the OSX-tans, but goes too far.

And some of the Macs may think she's instigating conflict from being so sociable... uh oh! Certain Mac-tans, particularly the self-proclaimed vigilantes among them will not take kindly to that!

Bella

BEHOLD, A RARE BELLA WALLOTEXT:

Quote from: Krizonar on January 18, 2011, 05:01:17 PM
I'm thinking that Lion is probably like, THE leader (like how in some stories a person may not be the most powerful or have anything special, but they are THE leader), since Mission control is like, THE leader!

That she is.... she IS the Queen after all. |P

Not that the others are going to give up their leader status without a fight. It's worth noting that Tiger suspected Leopard would make a run on her leader roll when she first debuted; but it was soon apparent that Leopard cared less about leading and more about tinkering in the lab. ^^'

QuoteShe's very diplomatic towards all Macs, since she is basically all the Mac OS's (even the iOS) put together and she understand's everyone's pains and desires well (meaning she gets along with the classic Macs too). She doesn't like fighting and most fights she get into just end with her having kind words for the opposition and befriending them.

This is where you and I diverge.... but I will concede that Lion is VERY protective and caring over iOS-chan.

Quote...She's not a full blown maid, but she does like having things clean. She is very strong willed and likes to stick to the rules, giving anyone who breaks one a little talk! She will be a player of the piano with her advanced multi-touch gestures. A photographic memory she has! (auto save)

I'm thinking she will be like a mix of Apple I, Mac OS 9 and Win2k, personality wise.

I doubt she'd like cleaning up around the house, but I do agree that she has a strong will and strong sense of justice. I was looking for a way to reference multi-touch and autosave, so having great dexterity and photographic memory are excellent notions!

I'm thinking more along the lines of GECOS-tan and Snow Leopard-tan, heh... ^^;

Thanks very much, your ideas are greatly appreciated and you've struck a few very important points. /salutes

Quote from: Aurora Borealis on January 18, 2011, 06:33:31 PMSad that she doesn't have any interest in the past, since she can't appreciate Apple I's, Apple II's and GS/OS's contributions, the struggles the Classic-tans went through in the OS Wars, and then joining together with the early OSX-tans to rebuild their nation, and how increasingly influential the faction has become over the years.

But not surprising. The Macs have been drifting farther and farther away from their roots over the years - Leopard NEARLY made the break, so to speak, from the Classics (instead viewing the Unixen as her true ancestors), but her fiddling about in the past convinced her of their value.

It's also refreshing I think.... we have so many OSXen that kowtow to their Mac OS heritage, it's interesting to have one that's rejected it - or just doesn't care. -w-

QuoteEach OSX-tan is more confident than the next, with Panther and Tiger both being the best balance between confidence and being grounded in reality. Leopard-tan was arrogant, and still something of a smartass, but learned to appreciate others from her time travel experiences! Though learning from her mistakes helped too!

Lion-tan is another step forward in self-confidence among the OSX-tans, but goes too far.

And some of the Macs may think she's instigating conflict from being so sociable... uh oh! Certain Mac-tans, particularly the self-proclaimed vigilantes among them will not take kindly to that!

Not to mention that Leopard was more than a bit socially-challenged initially...

But yes, Panther and Tiger-tan are probably the most grounded in retrospect. Snow Leopard could probably challenge Lion in arrogance (a lifetime of traveling the spacetime continuum, hobnobbing with ancestors and digging up closeted skeletons will bloat a person's ego), but her inherent asociality - and penchant for pacifism - makes her far less threatening than Lion-tan.

You do have to admit that she looks like a pretty arrogant character - and I mean, the name! What would you expect from a gal named Lion? ^ ^;;

Aurora Borealis

Good thing that Snow Leopard-tan is a pacifist! I bet some of her new-found respect for her Classic relatives (and still viewing them as her sisters no less than her biological ones) comes from knowing of their pasts.

Something tells me that Lion-tan would try and get the Classic Mac-tans to completely retire this time around.

But since she's outnumbered, they could just kick her out and have her join the LUC.

"Take her! This brat is your problem now!"

Problem solved? Oh wait... company politics won't allow that, and is there a more fair way to resolve the potential conflict?

Maybe... the Classics secede from the Mac House, recruit the wanderer Mac-tan(s?) and form their own rebel splinter faction- akin to what the User Space Gang is to the LUC! :D

But most importantly, Rhapsody needs to talk some sense into her youngest and most arrogant daughter before she spirals out of control. Too bad she still doesn't have much confidence!

Another bio, it's Puma-chan!

QuoteName: Mac OSX 10.1-tan
aka: "Puma"
Debut: 9/25/2001
Height: 145 cm (4'9")
Weight: ??kg
Eye Color: Light green
Hair: Blue

Quick Facts:

-Is shy, mousy and insecure.
-Second shortest of the OSX-tans, as Puma was a rather small update from Cheetah.
-Talks very little and spends most of her time attending the house.
-More stable than Cheetah, but still lacks self-confidence.
-Frequently picked on by OSX and Cheetah into being the maid of the house.
-Complies often due to being non-confrontational.
-Wears a sleeveless, white-collared black dress with a green bow and blue "X"s.
-Closest friends with fellow introverts Mac System 4-tan and 7-tan, but gets along well with all of her family.
-Is trustworthy, and her sisters are known to confide in her, and the more willing, in turn want to help her out.

Krizonar

Puma Puma! yays!

... a Bella wall of text? wut is dis?

Wow, we see her a lot differently!
I'm glad some of our ideas do collide and agree though, although I apparently see her in a more positive light than most.

Chocofreak13

*cries* i had to read multiple walls of text, i didn't get to contribute once, AND i have to delete another picture from the pile!!

;__;
click to make it bigger

Aurora Borealis

It's not too late to contribute, Choco!

Chocofreak13

it IS too late!!
@krizo: your first assessment of lion sounds too much like OSX-tan to me. :\
@bella: i didn't know if you were making a pun with that "pride" comment. x3
to be honest, i'd peg her to have a little slice of lisa in her....the brattiness. with power, pride, prestige, and pretentiousness, comes pig-headedness and acting like a prissy little punk.
click to make it bigger

Bella

@Chozo: I never meant to cast Lion in a negative light, she simply has different objectives from the usual Mac-tan. A master of diplomacy, she may be one of the first Mac-tans to put friendship ahead of family - all to satisfy her need to be loved, wanted, needed.

@Kari: In regards to Lion's Lisa-esqueness, I say B-I-N-G-O. I was actually going to draw the comparison myself at some point, but forgot to.

*hands out gold stars to Kari, Chozo*

Anyway, have a bio for one of the most complex and misunderstood characters in all of OS-tandom, GENERAL ELECTRIC COMPREHENSIVE OPERATING SYSTEM - aka GECOS.

Name: General Electric Comprehensive Operating System
aka: GECOS(-II, -III), GCOS(-3, -7, -8)
Debut: 1962
Height: 5'6''
Weight: 122lb
Eye Color: yellow
Hair: dark brown

Quick Facts:
-Supposed to be DOS/360's daughter, but proof of their relation is dubious.
-Intelligent, strategic and social, but also painfully proud and self-confident
-To compensate for her poor magical and physical abilities, she developed top-notch psychological manipulation skills
-Grew up isolated from other OS-tan cultures
-Charged with tutoring WWMCCS-tan
-Transferred to Boston in the mid-1960s with the purpose of caring for her nascent stepsister, Multics. She felt piteous toward Multics initially; but as her strength grew, she began viewing her as a potential threat to her place within their company (GE)
-By the time of Multics' debut (1969), GECOS had vowed to keep her stepsister from usurping her position (and possibly taking her life)
-Unable to confront Multics directly under threat of punishment by their company, she sought other means to defeat her
-In 1969 was hired by Bell Labs to take care of the fledgling Unix. Realizing the potential that Unix had to defeat her nemesis, GECOS primed Unix to resent and fear Multics
-In 1972, Unix attacked and badly injured Multics.
-Multics discovered GECOS' part in the attack and vowed vengeance, but by this time GECOS had a devoted group of followers to guarantee her protection
-Behind a successful 1985 plot to oust Multics from the company. This led directly to Multics' death fifteen years later.
-Has lived in Japan since the 1970s
-Devastated by WWMCCS' death and the near-abandonment of her followers, GECOS turned reclusive and withdrawn for a time
-Craving the social camaraderie she once had, she joined the CIOST. While few members truly like her, all respect her venerable strategic skills.
-Dresses in a mix of Edo period and Victorian fashion.

I dearly hope this clears up a lot of the misconceptions surrounding GECOS-tan.... :\

Aurora Borealis

Might have to trim that down in this format, but what you wrote is excellently detailed and could just about be put into her wiki article as-is!

Does clear a lot up, as for a long time I thought she was just a manipulative bitch/smug snake since I couldn't recall if it was ever explained why exactly GECOS had her vendetta against Multics, why she took the measures she did, and how she could justify it. In all fairness, her tactical skills would have at several times saved her CIOST comrades from invasion by Unix forces, and the CIOST-tans show or feel some gratitude for it!

Her interactions with WWMCCS-tan really show a good side to her character, and why after her death, that good side is hard for her to show anymore, even when she wants to be social again. :(

Did Multics attempt to usurp or kill GECOS because Multics had to out of force-of-habit, and struggling to survive see nearly everyone as an enemy and feared the worst in her, so GECOS had to fight back in self-defense?

Chocofreak13

it's all so sad, but things were so cutthroat back then.

good work bells. it's a little tl;dr but that just means you put decent effort into it. <3

and as for her dress, what a bold and unique combination......i must draw that now.....
click to make it bigger

Aurora Borealis

It was mainly in the 60's when the mainframe-tans and their factions became so cutthroat.

Another bio!:

QuoteName: Mac OS X 10.2-tan
aka: "Jaguar"
Debut: 8/24/2002
Height: 167 cm (~5'6")
Weight: ??kg
Eye Color: Blue
Hair: Red

Quick Facts:
-The first of the OSX-tans to have a good amount of self-confidence.
-Purposefully cheeky and outgoing, likes to joke around.
-Energetic, but not quite to the extent of her hot-blooded, even more spirited younger sister OSX Tiger.
-Wears a futuristic grey and mauve dress with black boots and a collar.
-Along with OSX Cheetah, she likes to pose for Mac OS9's art.
-Also is interested in fashion, preferring more modern and futuristic styles.
-In the in-house conflicts (fights for/against perversion, power struggles between Mac and OSX Tiger over leadership), she prefers to stay neutral but will poke fun at all sides from the sidelines.

There's a chibi-filled Mac Family portraiture I'm working on and almost finished with now, and hoped to get it up today since it's the anniversary of the original Macintosh (the 27th, to be exact!), but I'm not sure if I'll get it up in time. Only about 30 more minutes left in the day for me!

Chocofreak13

jaguar's so cute! ^^ she sounds like she's one of the friendly faces in the mac house, when usually they give off a very closed vibe. me thinks her and ME might get along, if only to  play pranks on people. <3

good luck with the chibi portrait, aurora. :3 looking forward to it. ^^
click to make it bigger

Aurora Borealis

All the Mac-tans are friendly to some extent (many of them are really nice, actually), though many of them do give off some closed vibe due to company-imposed isolationism (which in this time mainly applies to the OSXs since the Classics aren't supported by the 'family security' anymore, and could wander out of the house unsupervised if they wanted to, but often don't out of force-of-habit). So, Jaguar-tan appears to be one of the least isolationist of the Macs, and I think her being friends with ME-tan would be very cute! :)

And thanks!