OS-tan Annex Project Revival

Started by Aurora Borealis, February 20, 2010, 01:17:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiso

Hmm... I've been researching into my suggestions by going through multiple sites (2chan, 4chan, Wakachan, Pixiv, this one and others), and have found that by general concensus, most have a sizable amount of Nanami picture collections that seems only to continue growing, just not being uploaded on Futaba. I don't know what to make of that. Heck, she even has a Facebook fanpage... lol (LINK - might as well let you guys see it if you haven't). You could also use one most drawn three (the "foxy" one, the "angelic" one, and the one that looks like Nanami). By the way, my vote goes for either Nanami, the one that looks like her, or the foxy one.

As for Vista... well... although I fan over Chiivistan, that screwed up red uniform-wearing screw-up of a '-tan screwed everyone up by being the de'facto mascot to be.

My two cents for now.
Sponsored by: iLurk - the new service that lets you stay and not be here | Procrast - the program where nothing intended gets done | HTML - home town messing life

Aurora Borealis

For Windows 7-tan, Nanami seems to be the best choice, given her popularity among all OS-tan communities. I'm in favor of her.

Now, does anybody have a solid idea what her personality is? From what I see, she seems to be cheerful and idealistic, possibly to atone for Vistan's mistak-- err... bring more technology and a new image to redefine the Windows Family!

Vistan is a trickier case, since there are still so many Vistan designs being drawn, there doesn't seem to be a canon one (never got resolved!) and with a lot of variations on personality.

I also like Chiivistan's design, for being Vista-like, and it's very different from other OS-tan designs I've seen, though the most popular still seems to be Vistake (the red seifuku Vista). I guess I'll have go with Vistake representing Vistan.

Anybody else?

NejinOniwa

I'd vote for dual-wielding Vistake and Visbou, since they actually form a pair at pretty much all times...version distinction, perhaps? Or something like Hacchan and Secchan? Dunno.
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

stewartsage

I vote for having Nanami represent Windows 7, I mean, she is official.  As for the Vistans, I'm sorry I haven't got a clue.

Kiso

And thus comes the problem of "everyone pulling for their own side"... although both are popular as far as I figure. Figuring that  isn't going to be easy. I mean, using both will mean having to look for two more because two or three more mascots because Vista's versions really had something going for them on each version. Then again... someone could got out of their way to make a viral campaign with a "Vistan Theme" complete with voice or something... and be successful... lol

Remember the Bing-tans? Like, Nanami, they also have themes with voice too... lol
Sponsored by: iLurk - the new service that lets you stay and not be here | Procrast - the program where nothing intended gets done | HTML - home town messing life

Bella

I, personally, vote for Esu's Windows 7-tan design and the Chivistan (is that what it's called?) design, but I think we're missing a bigger point...

That we should stay the hell out of the "let's decide upon OFFICIAL Windows-tans designs clusterfrak

Seriously, people, we could argue about this matter for the next nth pages, or we could focus on OUR own designs.

Quote from: "Aurora-san"RDOS-tan is listed in the CIOST, which I think suits her! AOS and DG/UX are added to the unsorted list. I'm sure they'd make for good CIOST members too, but need your confirmation.

Yes, I agree that AOS and DG/UX-tan should be CIOSTers too... that would also make for a bit of drama between them and VMS-sama! >:3

QuoteMultics-sama could be part of the Binteeji Renmei? Just imagine how much prestige they will gain for her membership!  

Interestingly... The Mac-tans visit the Vintage-tans quite a bit, and that means they probably know her! A bonus for the OSX-tans for meeting one of their oldest biological ancestors!

I presume so, I mean, it's not like she has much (or any?) power today, so the BR would probably be the safest and most fitting faction for her.

I wouldn't be surprised if the OSX-tans know about her; I would be shocked if they actually knew she was their ancestor. Leopard-tan would probably know about their relationship though (she's probably smart enough to piece things together, plus she has the time-travel thing going for her...)

QuoteIf the Mainframes are still that distant and old-school today, I've decided to have CRAY-1 will likely be a wanderer. She used to be like them but is much more down-to-earth in the present day, though she can still give the current mainframe-tans some words of wisdom!

Sounds 'bout right.

QuoteI forgot to mention, what factions are the rest of the DEC-tans in? (TOPS-20, RSTS, VAXELN, RT-11, OS/8. )

I dunno, actually; I imagine that OS/8, TOPS 10 and RT-11-tan are in the BR, RSX and Tenex-tan are in the CIOST, and that RSTS and VAXELN are wanderers (but probably aligned with one another).

NejinOniwa

Indeed, at the very least the Win7 design clusterfucks is one worth avoiding. The Vis-tans seem to be rather decided already, though, and as the most widely accepted usage is dual-wielding Vistake/Visbou...well, yeah. Also I dislike ChiVis for being shallow-ish and not quite enough like the grumpy, paranoid do-you-really-want-to-confirm-this-confirmation-Vista girl that we know her OS to be...
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Aurora Borealis

Uhh... On second thought, we are better off avoiding the Windows 7-tan debate. It could get messy! So, is it a better idea to not include 7-tan in this project?

I think Vistan seems safe enough, as Vistake and Visbou are the de-facto Vistans. And as Bella said, the main focus in this thread should be on OSC-made characters!

Yes, I agree that AOS and DG/UX-tan should be CIOSTers too... that would also make for a bit of drama between them and VMS-sama! >:3
It's settled then! Got them placed in the CIOST! Potential power struggle time! ;006

I presume so, I mean, it's not like she has much (or any?) power today, so the BR would probably be the safest and most fitting faction for her.
You sure that the aristocratic Multics-sama won't mind hanging around a bunch of commoners? ^^;

*can't help but imagine the consequences that would ensue if Coleco Adam-tan's static electricity field messed up accidentally messed up Multics-sama's hair...*

Err... But then again... Multics-sama never wanted to have all that power she had in the first place, didn't she? And IIRC, didn't she just wanted to be free to make her own friends? If that's so, The Binteeji Renmei is the best bet for her, and I added her to the roster!

Nearly forgotten she had little, if any of her power after her resurrection. I had initially thought she'd be a good addition to the CIOST, or even the User Space Gang, but that'd be disastrous, especially with GECOS-san in the CIOST! o_o

I wouldn't be surprised if the OSX-tans know about her; I would be shocked if they actually knew she was their ancestor. Leopard-tan would probably know about their relationship though (she's probably smart enough to piece things together, plus she has the time-travel thing going for her...)
Oh. I had thought she'd be willing to reveal that outright. But there's always Leopard-tan's time travel abilities!...

I dunno, actually; I imagine that OS/8, TOPS 10 and RT-11-tan are in the BR, RSX and Tenex-tan are in the CIOST, and that RSTS and VAXELN are wanderers (but probably aligned with one another).
Added them. I wonder if they still band together on occasion, remembering the glory days of the DEC. BTW, ever considered drawing a DEC Rainbow 100-tan? DEC's unsuccessful attempt at a home computer?

Nuker

Quote from: "NejinOniwa"Indeed, at the very least the Win7 design f*** is one worth avoiding. The Vis-tans seem to be rather decided already, though, and as the most widely accepted usage is dual-wielding Vistake/Visbou...well, yeah. Also I dislike ChiVis for being shallow-ish and not quite enough like the grumpy, paranoid do-you-really-want-to-confirm-this-confirmation-Vista girl that we know her OS to be...

On the other end, i think Vista as an OS is the shallow-ish "look at me I'm soo pretty so I must be the best OS ever" type as much as it is paranoid. And a ninja-like design doesn't really fit such an... awkward system imho. And I was under the impression that Chivistan was the de-facto accepted design...

...OKAY, I get it. Stay away from the Vistan clusterf**k, right.

If you want, go ahead and use Vistake and Visbou as the official ones. Or use a different design for each version, maybe. But that would get messy.

As for Windows 7, it seems quite odd not to include the only truly official -tan there is (Nanami) because the guys at futaba want to create another design. Especially since they still haven't reached consensus on one...
Btw is the +Nijiura+ design still around?

Since we speculated in the past that 7-tan could be a magical girl maybe she should have two different designs. The first is the official Nanami one, and the we pick whatever fan-made design proves succesful and use it as Nanami's secret magical girl identity.

...Okay, sorry for writing a post about the very subjects you wished to avoid. Now, what else could I say that isn't related to what I wrote above?

Ah, yes.

Should we consider making all the Ubuntu-derived Linux versions some sort of semi-indipendent "clan" in the LUC? There are a lot of them, after all, and they are a lot more popular with the general public than their sisters.

Bella

Quote from: "Nejin-kun"Indeed, at the very least the Win7 design f*** is one worth avoiding. The Vis-tans seem to be rather decided already, though, and as the most widely accepted usage is dual-wielding Vistake/Visbou...well, yeah. Also I dislike ChiVis for being shallow-ish and not quite enough like the grumpy, paranoid do-you-really-want-to-confirm-this-confirmation-Vista girl that we know her OS to be...

I'm a bit torn between Chivistan and Vistake... I do like the attitude of Vistake, but Chivistan does look more like the actual OS. (That's all I care to say on the matter).

Quote from: "Aurora-sama"You sure that the aristocratic Multics-sama won't mind hanging around a bunch of commoners? ^^;

*can't help but imagine the consequences that would ensue if Coleco Adam-tan's static electricity field messed up accidentally messed up Multics-sama's hair...*

Err... But then again... Multics-sama never wanted to have all that power she had in the first place, didn't she? And IIRC, didn't she just wanted to be free to make her own friends? If that's so, The Binteeji Renmei is the best bet for her, and I added her to the roster!

Nearly forgotten she had little, if any of her power after her resurrection. I had initially thought she'd be a good addition to the CIOST, or even the User Space Gang, but that'd be disastrous, especially with GECOS-san in the CIOST!  

One would think! But as you inferred, Multics-sama saw her power, her wealth, her prestige-- all the things that essentially made her, her-- as a gargantuan curse that would eventually doom her.

But now, freed of that "curse" and without a penny to her name, she would feel as if she existed for the sake of being too special to lose to time-- instead of another pawn in some corporate board game. It would be the first time in her life that she really got to control her own destiny and live without burden.

I, too, initially thought Multics-sama would belong to the CIOST (OpenVMS-sama is sympathetic to her). But your right that GECOS-san would cause a lot of trouble for her, so that wouldn't work. It's ironic that you mentioned the User Space Gang, as I once thought up a comic/story idea revolving around Multics-sama's rebirth. Needless to say, it would be Plan 9-tan who brought her back to life-- at the behest of the Multicians-- and Plan 9-tan would be the first person to have contact with the reborn Multics-sama.

QuoteOh. I had thought she'd be willing to reveal that outright. But there's always Leopard-tan's time travel abilities!...

Multics-sama would still have to be clandestine about her relationship with Unix-sama (and vice versa)-- Multics-sama is one of Unix-sama's emotional weak spots, and anyone seeking to get to Unix-sama would need only threaten to harm or capture her mother.

Plus... the implications of Multics-sama being Unix-sama's mum would rock the foundation of the Unix world to its core.

QuoteAdded them. I wonder if they still band together on occasion, remembering the glory days of the DEC. BTW, ever considered drawing a DEC Rainbow 100-tan? DEC's unsuccessful attempt at a home computer?

For sure. They probably head out to The Cape every summer and have a beach picnic. :B

I haven't, actually, if only because I'm wary of drawing modern hardware-tans. But I do imagine the Rainbow 100 would be like... the DEC Empire's last-gasp attempt to conquer the suburban territory and compete with the Apple and Microsoft-tans.

Quote from: "Nuker-kun"Should we consider making all the Ubuntu-derived Linux versions some sort of semi-indipendent "clan" in the LUC? There are a lot of them, after all, and they are a lot more popular with the general public than their sisters.
'

It's an interesting thought... but I've always been wary of making tons of Ubuntu-tans (I don't even want there to be a Xu-or-Kubuntu-tan, just have it be Ubuntu-tan in a different outfit) precisely because there are so many Ubuntu forks.

Kiso

QuoteIt's an interesting thought... but I've always been wary of making tons of Ubuntu-tans (I don't even want there to be a Xu-or-Kubuntu-tan, just have it be Ubuntu-tan in a different outfit) precisely because there are so many Ubuntu forks.

From readihng that... I just thought of the multi-faceted kind of people... or at least cosplayers. lol

I vote for cosplayers!! :D

Bella

Well, she's a multi-faceted kind of woman. (And probably even gets along with the Windows and Mac-tans-- or is at least diplomatic toward them.)

Aurora Borealis

I decided to transfer all this stuff to the original Annex Project thread, since it's a lot better-organized --everything's not on one HUGE unwieldy post!-- and it really needed updating.

See it in progress here!

This thread will still have a use for related discussion, and placing the unsorted/undecided OS-tans into factions. I updated the list on the first post here.

These OSes need sorting:
Apollo Domain/OS
Apple III
Colossus
CSIRAC
EDVAC
ENIAC
FreeSBIE and RoFreeSBIE
Harvard Mark IV
IBM Stretch ("7030 Data Processing System")
Manchester Mark I
MONECS
OpenVME
ORDVAC
SpriteOS
Tandem NonStop OS
TUNIS
Tynix
Weenix
XINU

Chocofreak13

click to make it bigger

Aurora Borealis

Thanks! I'll need the help!

Currently, I'm working on some more of those 100x100 size character pics used on the front page.

Also need help on character bios, and determining which of the unsorted characters are still alive or not.