OS-tan Annex Project Revival

Started by Aurora Borealis, February 20, 2010, 02:17:23 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Bella

To Aurora - is there any way you could send me those annex avatars you made? I went back to find some (to use as reference pics) and all the photobucket links are broken. And none of the ones I'm looking for are on the wiki either. : /

Aurora Borealis

Any in particular you're looking for?

Bella

Mostly CDC, IBM and various other mainframe-tans.

At the moment though, I kind of need the System/360 OS-tan avis to use as references - TOS and BOS in particular. (I forget if you ever made avatars for OS/- or DOS/360.)

Aurora Borealis

I made one of OS/360, but not DOS/360. I'll get them for you.

Bella

Okay, I wasn't sure. ^^; Thanks.

Aurora Borealis

Here's a compilation of most of the mainframes with avatars:

Of the /360-tans, there are avatars for TOS/360 (the one with the knife- but I prefer your wilder-and-shorter-haired rendition), OS/360 and BOS/360. 

Bella

Thanks so much Aurora! This is really helpful. : )

Krizonar

April 08, 2012, 01:13:53 am #517 Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 01:22:02 am by Krizonar
Quote from: Aurora Borealis on August 27, 2011, 11:31:51 pm
I agree, Bella.

As do I. I also like the NEXTstep bio by Aurora and thank her for liking my ideas.

Hard to believe I made my Mac family tree two years ago!

Bella

Time sure does fly, doesn't it? : o

KellyHicks

October 12, 2013, 11:21:36 am #519 Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 04:05:26 am by KellyHicks
Quote from: Aurora Borealis on July 11, 2010, 04:31:14 pm
I'll only include led lighting and hardware that do have characterizations and backstory. Now we just need to place them into their proper factions.

Also, two new bios, leaders of the personal computer revolution!:

{{The benefactress to the Microsoft-IBM Family, sadly got exiled, but united with PC-DOS, Windows 1.0 and 2.0 at the Binteeji Renmei!}}

Name: MITS Altair 8800
aka: "Altair"
Debut: Jan 1975
Height: 137 cm
Weight: ?? kg
Eye Color: Red
Hair: White

Quick Facts:

-Credited for starting the personal computer revolution. (first commercially successful personal computer)
-Overconfident in her youth, but still prone to exaggerating things. (had hugely exaggerated hype from its developers)
-Intelligent but was self-destructive, withdrawn and melancholy. Her attitude has improved a lot since joining the BR though.
-Hobbies include working on model rockets and antique calculators.
-Was arch-rivals with IMSAI 8080, who she wanted to knock out of the competition.
-Ended up causing her own near-demise and lost against IMSAI in terms of popularity.
-Was friends with Apple I and Xenix.
-Was the benefactress and an honorary member of the Microsoft-IBM family, but had to leave in 1981.
-Spent over 20 years as a wanderer in various hardships and obscurity.
-Joined the Binteeji Renmei in recent years, and reconciled with IMSAI 8080.
-Is much happier now that she has retired, making new friends, and feeling like she can redeem herself.
-Wears a long blue+silver gown with a white bow and red pearls around the collar.

{{Possibly the only character from the 70's personal computer revolution that hasn't retired!}}
Name: IMSAI 8080
aka:
Debut: Dec 1975
Height: 142 cm
Eye Color: Violet
Hair: White

Quick Facts:

-Usually has a stoic and edgy attitude, but can also be kind to others.
-A good tactician, skilled with modern technology and has connections to important information networks. (The original IMSAI 8080 is still supported by its parent company, and a modernized version is being made)
-A former megalomaniac, in her prime she was a military engineer who led over her territory with a dictatorship, with plans of mind control and world domination.
-Was arch-rivals with Altair, but both faded into obscurity by the early 80's.
-Lost out to user-friendlier competitors (i.e: PET, Apple II) and nearly met her demise due to faulty technology.
-DR-DOS's childhood friend and mentor, who she inspired to be ambitious and powerful, though with unintended consequences she regrets.
-Felt hopeless as a wanderer, joined the CIOST in the early 2000's which gave her new feelings of hope along with the desire to improve herself and help others, especially fellow underdogs.
-Helps the various CIOST members stay in contact with each other.
-Friends with BeOS, MenuetOS and Apple III, DR-DOS, and has also reconciled with Altair in recent years.
-Has her hair decorated with a teal headband and alternating red and blue hair clips.
-Her outfit is modeled after the IMSAI 8080's color scheme, notably her long-sleeved shirt is modeled after the layout of the red+blue switches on the front.

Awesome work done... I know thread is bit old but I have amazing information to work on......

Bella

Hello new person! It's nice to see somebody interested in our work here. I'm especially interested why you've chosen to post about Altair 8800 and IMSAI-tan. ^_^

You should go introduce yourself in the Member Introduction Thread or say hi in Topicless. ^.^

Aurora Borealis

I'm bringing this back, because I've resumed with completing character bios for this project, which I hope to see be as complete as it can get, since it now has a continuation, which was first suggested here: https://www.ostan-collections.net/forum/index.php/topic,1807.0.html

So much has changed over this decade! The Annex Project was started in 2006 and a some bios may only be applicable until then, or until earlier in the 2010's at the latest. New bios should be written for characters who have undergone a lot of changes, such as a change in faction.

There are some other bios I added or updated recently, but I may need to double-post at times to avoid going over the character limit.

New bios:

Quote from: undefinedName: Commodore 65-tan
aka: C65, C64DX
Debut: n/a
Height: 179 cm (5'10.5")
Eye Color: Dark purple
Hair: Dark purple
Note: The C65 prototypes were unofficially released in 1994 after Commodore's bankruptcy.

Quick Facts:
-Is bold, energetic, and is very loyal to her friends, but can be aggressive and ruthless.
-The youngest of the 8-bit Commodore-tans, and never officially served in the Commodore Fleet.
-Her existence was only known to Commodore 128-tan, who assisted with her training.
-Was exiled from the Commodore Fleet in 1991, and later became a pirate, and talks like a pirate.
-Was a long-time enemy to the other Commodore-tans except for C128-tan, since the others thought she was a bootleg.
-The truth about her not being a bootleg, and her being welcomed by the rest of the Commodore-tans happened around 2010 when C128-tan explained the truth.
-Used to wear a sailor uniform as a Commodore Fleet cadet, but dresses in a blue and white pirate uniform with rainbow accents, a tan bandanna and a tan ascot.
-Wields a large cutlass.
-Suffered several near-death experiences, but became well-off from piracy and mercenary work.
-Her closest friends are Macintosh System 3.4-tan and Windows 3.2-tan, who she saw as fellow odd ones out from their families.
-Remains a wanderer because she doesn't want to leave behind the friends she made, and to not lose her livelihood.

QuoteName: Windows Neptune
aka: Neptune
Height: 173 cm (5'8")
Weight: ??kg
Eye Color: green
Hair Color: green
Note: Neptune was never officially released, but a build of it was released to developers December 27, 1999.

Quick Facts:
-A prototype Windows version, was meant to be the first NT-based Windows-tan for the consumer market.
-Resentful towards XP Home-tan for taking her intended role, which led to her abandonment.
-Usually seen with Odyssey-tan and Longhorn-tan.
-Has a stoic and serious demeanor.
-Has long green hair in pigtails, and is almost always seen wearing a red visor.
-Wears a black sleeveless qipao with blue accents, and large red bracelets. Has a red talisman around her collar, and has mechanical headpieces.
-A very tough and skilled survivalist. Wields a large trident as her weapon.

More recent drawings of Neptune-tan show her with green hair and green eyes, and a predominantly black outfit. She used to be depicted with blue hair, and a predominantly blue outfit.

QuoteName: Windows Odyssey
aka:  Odyssey
Height: 165 cm (5'5")
Eye Color: blue
Hair Color: blue or green
Quick Facts:

-A prototype Windows version, was meant to be Windows 2000-tan's successor, but was abandoned.
-Resentful towards XP Pro-tan for taking her intended role, which led to her abandonment.
-Similar in appearance to 2000-tan, has short blue hair, but with long bangs framing her face, and wears a red headband across her forehead.
-Wants to be friends with 2000-tan.
-Has a pair of floating gold wings, and has a gold halo above her head.
-Wears a light blue dress with puffy sleeves, black and white accents, and wears a white ascot.
-Usually seen with Neptune-tan and Longhorn-tan.
-Is somewhat shy and socially awkward, but likes to express herself.

In more recent group pictures of Odyssey-tan and Neptune-tan, they've been shown with Longhorn-tan a lot, suggesting that there is still a separate Longhorn-tan, and she was not dropped out of the continuity when Windows Vista was announced.

Updated bios:

Quote from: undefinedName: DEC Rainbow 100-tan
aka: Rainbow
Debut: 1982
Height: 148 cm (4'10")
Eye Color: Blue
Hair: Pink

Quick Facts:
-Has three modes she can switch between: VT-100 mode, CP/M mode, and MS-DOS mode. Her VT-100 mode is more stoic and was utilized when on duty in the DEC Military.
-The lone home computer of the DEC-tans.
-Never got promoted above cadet rank in the DEC Military. She mainly served as a cadet under VMS-tan's division, but felt like her skills were being underutilized.
-Served as the ambassador of the DEC Military to the Microsoft-IBM Family, but wasn't very good at it.
-Has ambivalent attitudes towards MS-DOS-tan and PC-DOS-tan since she wanted to be like them, but still saw them as her rivals.
-Is a great multi-tasker, likes to write and draw. Is usually carefree, but can still get competitive.
-Relies on her resourcefulness and cleverness more than raw power in combat.
-Wears her old DEC uniform jacket with frilly dresses and colorful hair ribbons.
-Can manipulate light.
-Friends with Amiga, Windows 1.0, DR-DOS, TOPS-10 and TOPS-20.
-Was in the CIOST for a while, and left to be a wanderer again, but kept the friendships she made in the CIOST.

Quote from: undefinedName: Macintosh System 3.4
aka: AppleShare 2.0
Debut: Early 1988
Height: 180 cm (5'11")
Eye Color: Dark gray
Hair Color: Dark brown
Quick Facts:

-Is hot-blooded, boisterous and cheerful, but is stubborn and single-minded.
-Was created specifically to continue the AppleShare role started by Macintosh System 3-tan, and took pride in this role, specializing in communication, networking, and sharing information.
-Is physically weak, but has telepathy and strong telekinetic powers.
-Is Macintosh System 6-tan's twin sister. (System 3.4 used the same Finder version as System 6.0.x) They never competed over who would lead the Mac-tans while they were both current because they had different roles.
-Left the Mac House in 1992. Refused recruitment from the Vintage Federation, had clashes with some of its members who tried to recruit her, and believes that joining them would be giving up.
-Is a traveling stunt performer and carnival ringmaster who uses her success to encourage and inspire other vulnerable wanderers to persevere over the odds against them, and seeks more of them out as allies.
-Her closest friends are Commodore 65-tan and Windows 3.2-tan. The three of them are usually seen together, and met in their early years as wanderers.
-Suffered several near-death experiences, and struggled to survive for years as a wanderer, but became well-off and defied the odds against her.
-Wears a grey frilly blouse and blue skirt with ballet shoes.
-Keeps her hair tied in long, forked pigtails tied with red ribbons and decorated with hairclips. Has large, winged sunglasses with colored panels.

Quote from: undefinedName: Macintosh System 7.5
aka: Capone
Debut: Sep 1994
Height: 165 cm (5'5")
Eye Color: Lilac
Hair: Blonde
Quick Facts:

-Has a disgruntled, and stoic demeanor, but can show a caring side.
-Is a gunslinger, and usually carries multiple guns with her, with one of them being an assault rifle.
-Is highly adventurous, and is an inventor, but has a questionable track record with her inventions and expeditions. (7.5 added a lot of features, but wasn't very stable, and was the basis for the OS of the Pippin, which wasn't commercially successful)
-Has long blonde hair with a large cowlick and a "7.5" hair clip.
-Wears a long blue dress with a white vest, combat boots and window bar-style armbands.
-Disappointed in herself during the OS Wars, she left as a wanderer to continue her life as a wandering vigilante, or mobster, depending on who you ask.
-Occasionally visits the Mac House, and quickly got along well with Mac OS 9-tan since they first met.
-Maintains a rivalry with Windows 3.1-tan, but they also have some respect towards each other.
-Gets along well with the OSX-kuns, but is willing to enforce punishment when needed.

stewartsage

Excellent work, Aurora!  Is there still much being done in the community with the unused or developmental Windows builds?

Aurora Borealis

Thank you! I wasn't aware until recently that Longhorn-tan, Odyssey-tan and Neptune-tan continue to be drawn, but they're usually seen with each other. The characterization I put for Odyssey-tan and Neptune-tan being resentful towards the XP-tans that replaced them isn't based off of any pictures, but just how these OSes were abandoned and replaced by what became among the most popular Windows OSes ever. I've seen a few pictures of Odyssey-tan with 2K-tan. They're also sometimes seen with 97-tan.

There's one picture I've seen of Longhorn-tan and Vistan together. It's just one, but it's possible to think that Longhorn-tan might not be resentful towards Vistan.

stewartsage

Vista did get dumped pretty hard herself, that might make her sympathetic to Longhorn?  Interesting indeed.