Main Menu

More IBM-tans

Started by stewartsage, January 11, 2010, 06:20:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red-Machine

Doesn't look secure to me, lol.  That was the easiest maze I've ever done in my life!
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

stewartsage

Bella

Quote from: "Red-Machine"Doesn't look secure to me, lol.  That was the easiest maze I've ever done in my life!

They symbolize the 8 rings of Multics or something... I think?

Anyway, these aren't IBM-tans, OS-tans or -tans at all-- but since this seems to be the staging area for ancient OS-and-App-tans, I'll post my ideas anyway.

QED-kun (aka TED-kun, FRED-kun). QED was a text editor originally used in Berkeley Timesharing System (BTSS), then ported to CTSS, GECOS (under the name FRED) and Multics (as TED).

I see QED-kun as a very quiet, detached and withdrawn fellow, not interested in ladies as some of his fellow editor-kuns are (actually, his only real love is his work). He doesn't carry much sense of sentiment or loyalty either; while he originated as a servant of BTSS-tan, he later went on to work for CTSS-sama. He resurfaced in Multics-sama's life under the assumed name of TED-kun; he became one of her closest workers WHILE also working for her arch-arch-arch-rival GECOS-tan (under another alias, FRED-kun). I suppose both of his lady-friends would be VERY pissed off to learn that he was working for the other. Hilarity ensues!

Next up, CANDE-kun. CANDE is a text editor and command-line shell for Master Control Program (MCP).

I didn't know if CANDE should be a -tan or -kun, but I went with -kun because I found the potential design lulzier. I see CANDE-kun as a textbook dandy (or fop, or bishonen): a pretty young man with ravishing blond curls, doe-like blue eyes and a flare for fine fashion and gourmet sweets. He's one of MCP-tan's best friends.

stewartsage

QED-kun's a fairly mercenary chap isn't he?

If there is one thing the OS-tan world needs, its more foppish text editors.  Seriously!

Chocofreak13

WANTS BUTTON *grabs uncontrollaby* i collect buttons, so whoo.

like i said, all support i can offer (what little there is)will be during summertime. idk why i'm still in this thread.

srsly, keep up the good work!! *fweep*
click to make it bigger

Bella

Quote from: "stewartsage"QED-kun's a fairly mercenary chap isn't he?

If there is one thing the OS-tan world needs, its more foppish text editors.  Seriously!

Yes, he is. Sorta like Emacs-kun, minus the fangirls. >xD

The world needs more fops, period. :3

Quote from: "Chocofreak13"WANTS BUTTON *grabs uncontrollaby* i collect buttons, so whoo.

like i said, all support i can offer (what little there is)will be during summertime. idk why i'm still in this thread.

srsly, keep up the good work!! *fweep*

Buttons, eh? I sorta collect animal sculptures... mostly horses and dogs... and I guess I collect bells too now (I inherited a huge collection from a relative). I plan to collect old computers once I get the space. And time...

Your still in this thread because we like you here, that's why! :D

stewartsage

Quote from: "Bella"Yes, he is. Sorta like Emacs-kun, minus the fangirls. >xD

What!? No fangirls! How is this possible?

Sounds like a research paper to me, "Decline and Fall of the Fop Empire"

Hmm, I collect patches, OS's, stamps, and old books.  You're here because the power of the Mainframe-tans compells you Choco!

Bella

Quote from: "stewartsage"
Quote from: "Bella"Yes, he is. Sorta like Emacs-kun, minus the fangirls. >xD

What!? No fangirls! How is this possible?

Sounds like a research paper to me, "Decline and Fall of the Fop Empire"

Hmm, I collect patches, OS's, stamps, and old books.  You're here because the power of the Mainframe-tans compells you Choco!

Okay, maybe I exaggerate a bit-- but I do imagine he'd pretty much ignore any women who tried to cozy up with him. (There's WORK to be done. No time for girls or candy or anything fun!)

Fops are still around, just in the form of metrosexuals!

OSes, lol, I forgot about THOSE. Oh yes, I have one helluva OS collection. :B

I have a couple of ideas for new (OLD) OS-tans. Except some of them are really more like hardware-tans, or are rather difficult to pin down as either hardware of software. Ugh! the past makes my head hurt!

THOR Timesharing System-tan. THOR was an OS that ran/runs on the PDP-1 minicomputer; the PDP-1 was, apparently, strongly influenced Whirlwind.

Somehow I see THOR-tan:
- as a very small, outwardly mousey girl (PDP-1 was a modest computer for its time, and THOR a rather typical OS); at the same time, very feisty and resourceful. Foundress of the DEC Empire.
- a good verbal communicator, but a slow writer (THOR was able to give fast console results but teletype was slower)
- blonde and blue-eyed and carrying a hammer (reference to the Norse god of the same name)
- she dresses in blue and white (PDP-1 colours)
- is an excellent musician-- pianist, perhaps? (PDP-1 is famous for making music)
- Daughter/protege of Whirlwind-hime, sister-thingy to SAGE-sama (???)

Now for a slightly murkier OS-tan; Ramo-Woolridge RW-300 Realtime Executive-tan (more info here, on page 15 paragraph 2). She's the birth mother of RSX-11-tan, grandmother of OpenVMS-sama and ultimate ancestor of all Windows NT-based -tans, however, so I guess that makes her pretty important.

This OS doesn't even have a name and isn't referenced in any of the documents I could find for the RW-300 computer. So the line between hardware and OS is VERY blurred in this case.

The RW-300 was used heavily and successfully in different chemical plants, refineries and nuclear power plants. In light of this, I see RW-300 Realtime Executive-tan as:

- Mysterious, known mostly for her work and not her personality (little info on the OS, but it did make an impact on the industry)
- Like her daughter and granddaughter, she's a loner
- A very skilled chemist, has skills bordering on alchemy. This is a two-pronged reference; both to RW-300's use in the chemical industry AND a throwback to RSX-11-tan and VMS-sama's alchemical/geomancy skills
- Has a foggy short-term memory in matters not pertaining to work (Computer had a small memory capacity but that didn't diminish its usefulness). She's quick-thinking and fast on her feet (realtime OS).
- RSX 11-tan is her daughter, though RSX 11-tan doesn't know her real heritage (having only been raised in DEC by DOS Batch 11-tan). Dunno if RW 300 Realtime Executive-tan would know of their relationship, though.

And finally, over at dA Stewart-san mentioned the possibility of a Oregon State Open Shop OS-tan. I can't say I have any ideas, but from the one useful document I could find it would seem that an Open Shop OS-tan would be a stickler in matters of money and charge people for her company (students were charged for the amount of disk space/computer time they used).

I just realized how WRONG that last sentence sounds. >.> <.<

Aurora Borealis

So RSX-11-tan does have a known birth mother after all! I wonder why RSX-11-tan doesn't know of her, and why DOS-11-tan chose to withhold that fact from her... some sort of conspiracy?

Hey! This sounds eerily familiar with NT-tan not knowing her true heritage to the DEC-tans!

I imagine that Open Shop OS-tan would be rather greedy.

I'll try and sketch up a concept sketch of THOR-tan wearing what resembles the DEC-tan uniform, but more old-fashioned (and of course in blue+white instead of red+grey).

stewartsage

Hooray more DECs!  It seems you've got THOR-tan pretty much covered.  She does seem to have a flair for music.  Now if only I could find the ILLIAC Suite.

The NT-VMS family gains another tier, good work Bella.  As for whether she knows about her daughter, considering how dedicated to her work she that little bit of information might have slipped her mind?

Annnnd that little bit seems to have been enough to inspire me.  (Same document I picked out.  It sounded helpful ><)

Oregon State Open Shop OS (OS^3)-tan
-Punctual to a fault, and won't tolerate tardiness (school regulated computer usage closely)
-Equally strict with money matters
-Tends to talk down to non-programmers/engineers
-Spends a lot of her time on the phone for business (Remote teletype access)
-Despite all this, gets along well with students somehow (Still was another of what could be termed 'School OS's')
-Has a long distance friendship with her nominal mother/sister(???) SCOPE-sama of the CDC family
--Tries to stay out of internal fighting, but did stand against NOS-tan
-A friend to most of the other college OS's, and a member of the Association of Education Operating Systems.

Phsyical: Average height, thin, black hair, surprisingly strong, almost always has a ledger (and later a calculator/calculator-tan), likes to wear sweaters with orange patterns, otherwise in generally a 60's style

Hardware-tans!  Another one I've been waiting to do for a while, and a personal favorite of mine.  ILLIAC-senpai!

Illinois Automatic Computer (ILLIAC)-tan
-Used to be a bright eyed and eager to learn young student known for her speed and accuracy for completing tasks (ILLIAC I-III)
-Never really made a comeback after her stay in hospital in the late 70's
-Despite her skills and potential, since the 70's has been incredibly lazy with a tendancy to slack off at work (ILLIAC IV)
--Feels she doesn't matter any more
-Has been attending school since 1951
-If pressed, claims vaguely to be majoring in music and physics or biology (ILLIAC I was a pioneer in computer composed music and ILLIAC III was used in physics and biology experiments)
-Terrified of fire and explosions (ILLIAC III burned in 1968 and one of the reasons ILLIAC IV was dropped was fear of attack
-Has a HUGE family, the only for sure living siblings are her twin ORDVAC-san, SMIL-sensei and BESM-san.  See chart
-Is one of the few survivng Neumannists, although she has lapsed in practice
-Associated with Linux-tan these days (Trusted ILLIAC is a Linux cluster)
-Currently her advisor is trying to encourage her to regain her old focus (ILLIAC VI is under construction)
-Her long association with the school cause her to occasionally forget things have changed around campus

Physical: A woman in her late teens or early twenties, Not all that tall, round wire frame glasses, messy hair tending towards red-orange with blue eyes (school colors), usually wears jeans or plain skirts with a U of I sweatshirt

stewartsage

Okay, double post but here are a few IAS family members, more on the way

Correctly placed edit:Somehow I missed this the first time; it should be mentioned SCOPE-sama was heavily involved with nuclear and atomic bomb research during her lifetime.

Institute for Advanced Study (IAS) Machine-sama
-Poor sense of time (No central clock)
-Has trouble keeping up with assignments
-Proud of her advanced design and achievements
-Avowed enemy of her cousin, the Manchester Small-Scale Experimental machine
-Mother of the large IAS machine family, proud of her children and their descendants.  Except for BESM.
-Speaks Hungarian and English, occasionally slipping between the two
-Interested and knowledgeable in a wide range of scientific fields
-Too fond of explosions for her daughter ILLIAC's taste (worked on nuclear and hydrogen bombs)
-Likes to play games and tell limericks (von Neumann worked with game theory and was known for tell "Off color" jokes)
-Far more conservative politically then most of her colleagues
-Sometimes overindulges in food and drink
-Likes to drive, but forbidden to.  Settles for the occasional trip with the good doctor
-Renowned for her ability to mimic "normal" people, sometimes used in conjunction with her fondness for playing games.
-Embarrassed by being afflicted with von Neumann Bottleneck

Physical: A bit imposing, despite only being of average height, tends to be a bit overweight, dresses in conservative business attire all the time, Silver hair kept styled and golden eyes
Quote: "There once was a computer from Boston...."

ORDVAC-san
-Twin sister of ILLIAC-senpai, grew up with her and often talk via phone
-Misses her family more then ILLIAC seems to
-Clumsy and accident prone, but fast (had issues with acceptance tests, but was reassmbled quickly)
-Retains more of the dedicated, hard working, and cheerful personality of ILLIAC
-Likes to pitch in and help her staff any way she can
-Another one of the IAS Family who likes things that go boom (Did ballistics at Aberdeen proving ground)
-At least as good a mathamtician as MANIAC-san
-Spells in her own "unique" way (hexadecimal represented in odd manners)
-Excellant aviation & missile engineer
-Technically in the Army, doesn't really seem to be
-Status: Alive, represents all other to current day Bureau of Ordnance computers

Physical: Very similar to ILLIAC-senpai, but often seen with a bandage or cast, hair lighter color, typically has an army helmet on, sometimes wears an Army uniform
Quote: "It's safe, really!"

MANIAC (Mathematical Analyzer, Numerical Integrator, and Computer or Mathematical Analyzer, Numerator, Integrator, and Computer)-san
-Eldest of the National Lab branch by a year, despite this she leaves most of the leadership to her younger sister AVIDAC-san
-Acts quite insane, more to live up to her name then any native insanity (actually her creator thought this wasn't a silly acronym)
-Probably not who you want involved in designing atomic weapons
-An expert mathematician
-Watched as many of the nuclear tests as possible, inherited her mother's love of explosions
-Likes to taunt ORACLE-san
-Sort of a momma's girl, believes herself to be IAS-sama's favorite

Physical: Always seen with a manic grin, described as wild eyed, keeps a pencil behind her ear, tall, wears civilian summer cloths because of her New Mexico residence, black hair usually worn with a headband, also likes sunglasses, has a tan
Quote: "I ran the numbers! *bwahahaha*"

AVIDAC (Argonne Version of the Institute's Digital Automatic Computer)-san
-Second oldest of the National Lab branch of the family, feels responsible for the rest of them.  Especially her younger brother.
-Tries to keep the peace
-High strung from dealing with MANIAC and GEORGE
-Dedicated to her work in theoretical physics and reactor design
-Fond of the blues (ANL is near Chicago)
-Close friend of ILLIAC-senpai

Physical: Medium height, but a bit on the thin side from working long hours and eating little, bit on the pale side, often wore sunglasses or reflective lab goggles, eyes shift color, typically seen in a buttoned up lab coat and carrying a pad of graph paper, hair pulled back in a pony tail
Quote: "Don't touch that!"

GEORGE-kun
-Younger and faster brother to AVIDAC-san
-Hot blooded, more into the physics side of the lab, leaving design work to his elder sister
-Likes to work out
-Faster then his sisters
-Taunts ILLIAC, probably too much for his own good
-Enjoys the Chicago proximity more

Physical: Short and physically in excellant shape, black  hair cut short, dresses stylishly, has the "Argonne Eyes"
Quote: "Rythmn and Blues revue eh?  Wanna go sis?"

ORACLE (Oak Ridge Automatic Computer and Logical Engine)-san
-Tennesse based -tan, has the appropriate accent
-The most general purpose of the National Lab IAS-tans, skilled in a variety of scientific fields
-Unsure of herself, awkward,  and generally quiet (Hard to sound smart with a Southern accent)
-Likes to relax to old timey music, helps distract her from her work
-Most self concious about her job, feels concerned about working on nuclear devices (worked on health physics and shielding from fallout)
-Has the best fashion sense
-Often at odds with MANIAC-tan
-Likes to swim

Physical: Tallest of her sisters,  prefers casual dresses, shoulder length straight brown hair usually with a bow, inherited her mother's golden eyes,  also known to carry a geiger counter and stethescope
Quote: "Now make sho an' check yo' dosimeter at reg'lar in'ervals ya'll"

BESK (Binary Electronic Sequence Calculator)-san
-Swedish, does not speak English
-Mother(?) of SMIL and DASK
-Tries to be as much like IAS-sama as possible (built partly from IAS plans)
-Acts seceretive about everything, whether needed or not (Used to decrypt radio messages and calculate data for SAAB fighters)
-Never caught in bad weather (used to predict weather patterns)
-Likes to knit (memory assembled by housewives  experienced in kniting)
-Fond of drinking, very good at holding her liquor (rumor has it they acronym was made to suit a type of local bitter after they were denied CONIAC)

Physical: Bit of a stereotypical Swede, tall with long wavy blond, blue eyes, very fit, carries a knitting bag with her including a stuffed lion (SAAB symbol)
Quote: "Det kommer inte regna idag!"

BESM (Ð'ольшая ЭлекÑ,ронно-СчÑ'Ñ,ная Машина "Large Electronically Computing Machine")-san
-Outcast member of the IAS family (Soviet computer, considering IAS Machine-sama's political beliefs....)
-Unlike BESK, is multilingual, including English (widely exported throughout Eastern Europe)
-Very arrogant and a braggert, insists she's always been and always will be better then her sisters (Claimed to be better then US contemporaries of the 70's)
-Attempted to challenge CDC6600-sama & SCOPE-sama for fastest computer in the world, and lost
-As fond of jokes as IAS-sama, often regales listeners with tales of her past works
-Beloved by her users, friend to many European OS's
-Not afraid to work hard at any number of tasks

Physical: Second tallest IAS after ORACLE-san, black hair in a bun and green eyes, almost always smiling, usually wears a grey overcoat with a striped sweater and casual slacks
Quote: "You wish  to challenge me? *AHAHAHA*"

JOHNNIAC (John v. Neumann Numerical Integrator and Automatic Computer)-kun
-A bit spacey, works for the RAND think tank
-One of the few IAS's with a reliable, unaided sense of time (internal clock added for TSOS support)
-Wrote JOSS, which led to DEC's FOCAL and MUMPS
-Modest, but proud of being named after "the creator"
-Twin/clone source(???) for Cyclone-tan, closest to her and ILLIAC-senpai (systems were some of the few that were interoperable)
-Now retired, cheated death twice before reaching safe haven
-Known for being kind of slow, but makes fewer mistakes then his siblings

Physical: Average height and weight, greying black hair, wears glasses, blue eyes, usually wears khaki pants and a polo, now appears to be in his 60s or 70s
Quote: "Just a minute, alllllllmost finished."

CYCLONE-chan
-Early educational computer
-Clone... thing of JOHNNIAC, good friends with him and interned under ILLIAC (systems were some of the few that were interoperable)
-Easily excitable
-Likes to try new things (ISU moddified it quite often)
-Drinks coffee almost constantly
-Fond of animals and farming (From Iowa for petes sake)
-Active, likes to practice with the sports teams (named for the Iowa State team name)

Physical: Teenaged girl, much like ILLIAC-senpai in dress, dark red hair with some streaks of silver, golden eyed (school colors), usually has a mug in her hand
Quote: "Don't worry, sheep can handle it."

MISTIC (Michigan State Integral Computer)-sama
-Mythical first mainframe at Michigan State, worshipped by its computer department
-Clone/sister(???) of ILLIAC & Cyclone (based on ILLIAC archetecture, designer came from Iowa State)
-Got along well with ILLIAC, but was two sedate and high class for Cyclone
-Obsessed with her teaching job
-Generally considered benevolant, provided assistance to all the school departments

Physical: Oft depicted as a woman with shoulder length blond hair and golden eyes in an ornate green and white dress, unknown how accurate this is since ILLIAC-senpai isn't talking.....
Quote: "I have more then enough time for all of you."

WEIZAC-san
-Israeli IAS computer, and the first computer in Israel
-Speaks Hebrew and English
-A favorite of "the creator"
-Congenial and helpfull, to the point where she has little free time (high demand for usage)
-Very fond of the sea (used for a lot of oceanographic work)
-Walks with a limp (Was an early oppertunity for engineers who survived the Halocaust)
-One of the most popular IAS children, she's pretty much universally liked

Physical: Third tallest IAS, Auburn hair kept tied back, brown eyes, prefers sun dresses because of the climate, always carries a notebook and pen

SILLIAC (Sydney version of the Illinois Automatic Computer)-san
-Australian IAS, second computer in the Southern Hemisphere
-Speaks with an Australian accent and cntemporary slang
-Good humored and easily excited
-Likes to taunt CSIR Mk. I, the first (and slower) computer at the U of Sydney
-Clone/Sister of ILLIAC (???)
-Good friends with AVIDAC and ORACLE, all three are heavily involved in theoretical physics
-Healthier then most of her family (made more reliable with better relays)
-Easily the most physical of the IAS family, after GEORGE-kun

Physical: very tan, brown hair and eyes, prefers pants, a plain blouse, and a lab coat for everyday wear, physically fit, average height

SMIL (Siffermaskinen i Lund "The Digit Machine in Lund")-san
-Eldest daughter of BESK-san
-Suffers from rather severe boughts of paranoia (was the computer for the Swedish nuclear program)
-Despite that, has inherited her mother's good cheer
-Still does demonstrations at her Alma Mater, the University of Lund, but on the whole acts rather lazy
-Arguably the most successful of her family
-Good friend of ILLIAC-senpai
-Avid hockey player

Physical: Girl in her twenties, blond hair, average build, blond hair and golden eyes (mix of IAS and BESK plans), usually wears a Lund sweatshirt and jeans or a hockey jersey, has a locket with pictures of her mother and sister in it

MUSASINO-1-san
-Daughter/clone/sister(???) of ILLIAC-senpai
-Rarely seen
-Speaks only Japanese
-Considered 'Right strange' by SILLIAC-san

Physical: Short, medium length black hair, usually wore a kimono, "strange" eyes
Quote: "私は助ã'になã,ŠãŸã,,"

SARA-chan
-Daughter of BESK-san
-Intended to replace her at SAAB
-Generally calm and quiet, hard working if seldom used
-Liked to play games with BESK in her ample free time
-Is the founding mother of DataSAAB
-Died young

Physical: Small girl, perhaps 10 or so, blond hair and blue eyes, typically dressed in traditional Swedish attire, often accompanied by her own stuffed SAAB lion

NejinOniwa

QuotePhysical: Bit of a stereotypical Swede, tall with long wavy blond, blue eyes, very fit, wears a crown (Swedish government symbol), carries a knitting bag with her including a stuffed lion (SAAB symbol)
Quote: "Det kommer inte regna idag!"
Lol wat -w-;

Quote-Fond of drinking, very good at holding her liquor (rumor has it they acronym was made to suit a type of local booze after they were denied CONIAC)
I sure haven't heard of any booze called Besk, but it could be some of that homebrewn stuff the uni students used to make, who knows. -w-;
By the way, "besk" means bitter...which sure could be said of most distilled brews .w.
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

stewartsage

Okay, the American stereotype of Swedes ^^; Sorry Nej.  If that translation doesn't make sense I just used Google, so my bad >>.

Right, screwed up my writing there, it should say bitter and not booze.

Quote from: "Wikipedia""Besk" is Swedish for the taste "bitter". It is also the name of a traditional bitter made from distilled alcohol seasoned with the herb Artemisia absinthium L. local to the province of Skåne, in which Lund is located. Reportedly this was an intentional and unnoticed pun after officials denied usage of the name CONIAC (Conny [Palm] Integrator And Calculator, compare Cognac) for the BARK machine.

NejinOniwa

Donmai, donmai. -w-; The crown was a bit eh though, but otherwise she's good...
The translation is ok, btw...but don't hesitate to rely on your overlord for things like this, it's what I'm here for >:3
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Bella

I died a little when I saw that wall of text. ;-;

I... I don't know what to say... this is amazing, really, I read each of the profiles and I really like what you've come up with!

But let me digress for a moment:

@ RW-300-tan/RSX-tan: yeah, I suppose RW 300-tan would've been absentminded enough to not notice that she had a daughter. How RSX-tan ended up in DEC's hands is another story, though (one I certainly don't know).

@ OS^3-tan: Ah, good call on her obsession with punctuality and monetary issues.

@ ILLIAC-sama: lol, I can just imagine ILLIAC-sama and Linux-tan chillaxin' together. Slackerish, interested in physics, a career student? She seems like a woman after my own heart. <3

@ IAS-sama: what with her poor sense of time, I suppose she and OS-8-tan would get along.

Hurrah for poor timekeeping and piromania~!

@ MAIAC-tan: *She's a maniac, a maniac, on the danceflo--* ahem, I mean, the world seriously needs more insane mathematician nuclear bomb engineers. Seriously.

@ AVIDAC and GEORGE-kun: Oooh! Ooh! Physicists! And pale and thin and darkhairish. I like...

@ ORACLE-tan: with a name like that, you don't suppose she might be a little on the prognostic side...? Something greatly amuses me about this one, must be her accent + love of relaxation. ^___^

@ BESK-tan: knitting and drinking, lol.

@ BESM-tan: In Soviet Russia, COMPUTER USE YOU!

@ CYCLONE-tan: Computers... from IOWA? Does she come in a cowprint box too? (old Gateway reference)

@ MISTIC-tan: She sounds pretty. *.*

@ WEIZAC-tan: Wow, this is the first Israeli OS/Hardware-tan I've seen. I like her love of the ocean... ^^

@ SMIL-tan: Paranoia? Another woman after my own heart!

I tried out the SMIL emulator! Oh the lulz... it took me, like, 30 minutes to get 'er to run the sine wave program. Pretty damn cool when I got it to work, though!