Main Menu

the first OS

Started by Chocofreak13, November 04, 2009, 06:16:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red-Machine

Ah, the Z1 was just a mechanical calculator.  The Colossus machines were true computers.
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

NejinOniwa

Programmable Computer, that is.
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Chocofreak13

i still think Z1 should be counted. it was improved into the Z2 and Z3, ya know.
click to make it bigger

Raffaele the Amigan

Quote from: "Red-Machine"Ah, the Z1 was just a mechanical calculator.  The Colossus machines were true computers.

AFAIK Colossus Mark I was electro-mechanical, but Colossus Mark II built in 1944 was entirely electronic...

(I heard of Colossus Mark I being electomechanical in a TV science program describing war of spies in WWII)

(Anyone has different infos about Colossus MKI? And the way it was built?)

But sure Colossus Mark II could be considered the first Totally Electronic Computer in History.  ;001
Pegasos computer: CPU PPC G3 600MHz, RAM DDR 512 MB PC3200, Graphic Card ATI 9250 256 MB videoram. SO MorphOS 1.4.5
;011 -(Caramba! El nuevo Peggy computador es Amiga compatible y muy Mejor!)
[/color]
"God, what an incredible thing we did!"
(R.J. Mical, engineer of original Amiga developing team at Amiga Inc. 1982-1985).
[/color]
"When the Amiga came out, everyone [at Apple] was scared as hell."
(Jean-Lous Gassée, former CEO of Apple France and chief of developers of Mac II-fx, interviewed by Amazing Computing, November 1996).
[/color]

Chocofreak13

well, the debate will never end over who was first. anyway, the point is, if it exists, we -tan it!!
click to make it bigger

Sora

Quote from: "Aurora Borealis"The problem with Wikipedia and it's (lack?) of credibility is that anyone can edit it. That is a great asset, yet a major liability at the same time since some of the information may be inaccurate.

Checking out the sources sited on the article is a good idea though, and using only information that has been cited. Wikipedia is a good site, but you need to proceed with some caution.
I just had a chat with Wikipedia-tan (She's very cross with you guys, BTW) and she said that a normal Encyclopaedia has an average of 2 errors per page. (Because of being out of date, etc.) Wiki-tan only has 3 errors per page.
E 123 \'Omega\': Eggman detected. Begin annihilation sequence.
Miles \'Tails\' Prowler: No, Omega, Eggman is our friend!
E 123 \'Omega\': Small forest creature has gone mad. Suggest immediate termination.

NejinOniwa

Quotea normal Encyclopaedia has an average of 2 errors per page. (Because of being out of date, etc.) Wiki-tan only has 3 errors per page.
>only 3 errors
2<3

This doesn't make sense what you're saying here.
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

stewartsage

I think she's trying to say they're pretty close

EDIT EDIT: That should have gone in a different thread

Bella

Oooh, methinks SCOPE-sama is beginning to seem like a mad scientist type. >:3

stewartsage

Perhaps more of a disgruntled scientist ;)

Chocofreak13

click to make it bigger