32bit, 64bit?

Started by Alex_Reetz, October 08, 2009, 10:16:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex_Reetz

I cant tell a difference, please enlighten me?

coldReactive

32-bit: Can't allocate more than 3.x GB of RAM

64-bit: Can allocate 16.8 million terabytes of RAM (but current processors limit this intentionally due to restrictions at present.)

NejinOniwa

Simply put:
32-bit = Max 4gb RAM, old and failing
64-bit = Too much RAM for your ass to handle, new and spanking full of win
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Red-Machine

64-bit is also more efficient than 32-bit, though requires double the amount of RAM needed for a 32-bit system because the instructions are twice as long.

Also, Se7en is the last 32-bit OS M$ is releasing, so it would be prudent to switch now.

Oh, if you use 16-bit apps or apps with 16-bit installers, they won't work.  Sorry!
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

Alex_Reetz

call me old fashion, but 2gb is enough, over 4gb is fucking overkill. 0_0

NejinOniwa

That just depends on how much you ROW ROW and FIGHT THE POWAH, so to speak. -w-

Dr. Mario

I own an AMD Athlon 64 X2 CPU (and loving it! And I also have coupla other 64-bit CPUs too.)

There are three so-called Modes: Real-Mode (16-bit), Protected-Mode (32-bit), and finally, Long-Mode (64-bit).

Obiviously, the x86 (and possibly PowerPC) CPUs always start out with 16-bit mode first to familiarize themselve with the OSes, like Windows 7, before it do more complex jobs. Next, it will activate its 32-bit mode, to get the job done, as well as giving you 4 GB RAM space

Added after 12 minutes:

that its previous 16-bit mode won't offer, not even over 1 MB memory. Finally, to our subject, 64-bit mode. The CPU still running in 32-bit mode do one last few things, like setting extended memory address (PAE36 in x86 CPUs) and load something important, then it will quit running in 32-bit mode once the OS tells it to do so, it will then run in 64-bit mode.

The obivious way to tell if your x86 CPU is capable of running 64-bit mode, try download CPU-Z. Then look for either three keywords: AMD64 (AMD), I64

Added after 14 minutes:

(Intel), and/or x86-64.

Usually, 64-bit AMD CPUs wouldn't give a damn if the RAM it's using is too small (say, 128 MB), it will happily enter Long Mode, so memory size doesn't matter, up to 16 Exabytes (16 Quadillions Bytes).

Also look at your decal sticker.

List of 64-bit x86 CPUs:
Pentium 4 (some - LGA775 favored - same with ancient Celeron - newer Celeron are based on Core 2 and later)
Core 2
Core ix (i3, i5, and i7)
Sempron (AM2 favored and later)
Mobile Athlon 64 (now Turion)
Athlon 64
Athlon II

Added after 10 minutes:

Phenom
Phenom II

Oh, and on other note, you can't even touch 16 EB limit on any CPUs today. Granted, we have barely scratched Lower Canonical Address (40-bit to 48-bit Physical memory address) anybody lucky enough would be able to access 12 TB RAM, with 48-bit address.

(sorry for such so many breaks... I was using Playstation Portable to surf the Net. Damn the character limit on the PSP...)
;025 Now, Bowser... What can I do with you...

NejinOniwa

PSP? Lawl'd.

But yeah, maxlimit on 64bit is really overkill as it is today. -w-

Dr. Mario

Yeah. Even the limit on RAM controller (40 / 48-bit) limit is a drag too.

What I see with the 64-bit mode here (IT does apply to all other 64-bit non-x86 CPUs, like the one inside your favorite Playstation 3):
* 64-bit instructions have twice the spaces for us to stuff our data into CPU. (Think of Blu-ray Disc movie you're watching on your 64-bit PC.)
* 64-bit mode is available on every new CPUs, just to buy us technofreaks and/or hardcore gamers time, especially with RAM size.

Added after 13 minutes:

The only few downsides with 64-bit modes are: F***ing stupid 40/48-bit memory limits. Needs more RAMs to keep it happy (no longer an issue). CPUs being real fussy with codes (at least C++ compiler still do a great job at easing pains and stresses - however, for x86, the GPRs are still similar, like for accumulator: 16-bit: AX / 32-bit: EAX / 64-bit: RAX)
;025 Now, Bowser... What can I do with you...