Computer Cantina

Started by IanDanKilmaster, September 22, 2009, 12:07:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IanDanKilmaster

So this is the first post on my proposed Topicless thread for General Computers & Gaming.  Hope this works out...

So the FCC actually did something right for a change yesterday.

Of course, for chicken littles this is just the fed getting their foot in the door to further regulation, and while I do think that should be a concern, I see no reason to jump to that conclusion just yet.  Truth of the matter is Net Neutrality is probably the only issue in long while the FCC has demonstrated true concern for consumer protection.  Good on 'em.

The Choice of a New Generation.

Red-Machine

This has been a long time coming.  Doug Engelbart, who did The Mother of All Demos at the San Francisco Convention Centre in 1968, wanted all information to be freely available and has advocated it for decades.  It's just a shame that it's taken THIS long for companies and governments to start accepting that.

If he knew of GreenDam, he'd probably kill himself...
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

IanDanKilmaster

The problem is companies haven't accepted it, at least not in the US.  Larger telecoms like Comcast, Time Warner, and SBC have been screwing over their users, with no incentive to change their practices (usually throttling bandwidth for various reasons) because smaller broadband companies that treat their customers fairly can't offer the bandwidth to compete.  So now they're being taken to task, and they don't like it (at least Comcast doesn't, as they are attempting to sue the FCC).

NejinOniwa

Companies? Dream on. And GOVERNMENTS?

What the hell kind of reason do you think my party was formed, anyway?

Added after 1 minutes:

The EU makes me sad ;_;
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

IanDanKilmaster

I hate to necro (especially since it's a thread I started), but there's finally an update on the Comcast v FCC case.

Okay, so now that I'm a little more well-informed, I have to reconsider what I stated about the FCC before.  No, I'm not saying there was anything wrong with their ends here, but I have to seriously disagree with their means.  Instead of pursuing the proper channels to obtain authority to enforce Net Neutrality, they attempted to overstep their bounds to do so.  What's worse is Comcast had already stopped their bandwidth regulation in regards to BitTorrent, so it's kinda post festum anyhow.  That's not to say the FCC shouldn't still work towards enforcing Net Neutrality, but they shouldn't be all Palpatine-y about it...

So while this may seem like a blow against NN to some, it's actually a win for freedom in the U.S..  So long as telecoms realize that NN is a reality they'll have to face - it's progress.

NejinOniwa

NN Progress in the US? BELIEVE IT!? WUT ´V`
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS