Force-installing an OS

Started by Red-Machine, April 29, 2009, 04:34:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red-Machine

Guys, I'm trying to install Windows 98 on a seperate partition on my Windows ME machine, but the blasted thing refuses to install because it isn't an upgrade version.  I don't want to upgrade, I want a full install on a seperate partition.  Does anyone know of a way to force it to install?
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

NejinOniwa

It'd be easier if you had a separate HDD, then you could just unplug the other one.

However, if you have them already partitioned, it might be so that they show up separately in the BIOS device display - then you can deactivate the ME partition and install from there.

I've installed multiple XP's on the same partition, but I dunno how it is with them DOS-baseds...
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Red-Machine

I maganed to fool the setup prog into thinking I didn't have another OS by renaming win.com, but it didn't work because the setup kept crashing at the hardware part.  Then I tried to boot into ME again and found 98 had overwritten a load of stuff on my C drive, so I had to re-install ME.  Good thing all my data was okay...

I think I'm gonna leave it for now, or until I get a new HDD.
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

NejinOniwa

Yeah, better safe than sorry there...
(still don't understand why so WinDOS?)
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Smokey

Have the partitions ready, make another one with a third-party bootloader from wich you select your OSes, Set BIOS so it will boot from your '98 partition and install '98 on that partition...
I would also probably work without the 3rd party bootloader, but then you will have to switch bootdevice in the BIOS everytime you'd want to switch OS...

(haven't done this with 2 DOS-based windows versions, but i did it with XP and Fedora... I dropped Fedora because i was tired of the BIOS-Boot-device switching and didn't have HDD space to install GRUB...^_^)
I dont tell you how to tell me what to do, so dont tell me how to do what you tell me to do... Bender the Great) :/
[Img disabled by Fedora-Tan]
Thanks Fedora-sama
Homer no function beer well without (Homer Simpson) ^_^

HalfSpaceOrc

Maybe you should use virtual station?