I've gone Linux - Le Gasp!

Started by coldReactive, September 02, 2009, 10:45:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex S

To Sora:
9x Series: 95, 98, ME.
DOS-based OS that could read and write to FAT 16 and FAT 32 drives. Could not map NTFS drives, therefore only useful for rpair to other DOS-based OS.

NT Series: NT4, 2000, XP, Vista, 7(?)
NT Kernel-based OS that can read and write to FAT 16, FAT 32 and NTFS, and EXT2 with certain drivers. More useful for Windows repair because they can read and therefore identify all versions of Windows. (Not sure if XP recognizes Vista and 7 though.)

Vista is basically a suckified XP though...
And you could make a recovery floppy for ME also, and I think XP somehow.

Sora

E 123 \'Omega\': Eggman detected. Begin annihilation sequence.
Miles \'Tails\' Prowler: No, Omega, Eggman is our friend!
E 123 \'Omega\': Small forest creature has gone mad. Suggest immediate termination.

coldReactive

Quote from: "Alex S"And you could make a recovery floppy for ME also, and I think XP somehow.

XP and 2000 make a disk known as a boot floppy that allows you to boot and repair stuff (but not your OS, filesystem, etc. that has to be repaired through the WinXP/2000 setup CD.) The boot floppy actually, what it does is that it loads generic CD-ROM Drivers so that you can load your precious Setup CD somehow. The boot floppy cannot use fdisk I believe (even though it should)

Vash342

Quote from: "coldReactive"
XP and 2000 make a disk known as a boot floppy that allows you to boot and repair stuff (but not your OS, filesystem, etc. that has to be repaired through the WinXP/2000 setup CD.) The boot floppy actually, what it does is that it loads generic CD-ROM Drivers so that you can load your precious Setup CD somehow. The boot floppy cannot use fdisk I believe (even though it should)

This is honestly why I keep DOS floppies around still.
Make a quick virtual machine, install DOS and copy autoexec.bat, MSDOS.sys, and System.sys to a floppy.
It fits perfectly and you now have a fully functional bootable floppy.

I find it nice to use because the winXP disc recovery console never works for me.

xxwolfwoodxx1

congrats, enjoy your zooming because I will enjoy mine too

Sora

E 123 \'Omega\': Small forest creature has gone mad. Suggest immediate termination.

Bella

Right now I'm running Puppy Linux (liveCD) on a crap-tastic HP laptop whose system specs are too poor to run XP well. I can't believe it, Puppy picked up on the wireless network automatically!

Well, it looks like I know what my summer/travel computer and OS is going to be... and here I thought I might have to go 3+ months sans reliable computer.

NejinOniwa

The puppy is the trustiest tool ever created by nerdkind...use it with great affection. <3
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Bella

THANX NERDKIND. >:3

I didn't expect that it would work with the wireless card out-of-the-box-- Ubuntu didn't even do that. :<

Alex_Reetz

My opinion,  linux feels cheap(The gui and icons.) and more geared for people who want complete control of everything on there os....but it seems to complected. The whole 'Support' thing is wishy-washy and being a gamer, It just causes more problems then good. linux is good for the anti-establishment, server, geek and poor users, but as far as gaming and 'basic' support, it leaves a lot to be desired.

I plan on using ubuntu, but I see myself being a windows users until internet 2 comes out and causes a big brother effect on the interweb.

Sora

Even whylinuxisbetter.org admits that you should stick with windows if you're a gamer.

Chocofreak13

let's see:
family computer runs vista *barfs*
my personal computer is running xp, but i'm trying to upgrade it to 7/ubuntu (or maybe mint).

which brings me to this question:

DOES ANYONE HAVE AN .ISO OF WINDOWS 7. CAN SOMEONE TORRENT IT FOR ME? SEND IT? PLEASE???

ugh, i'm going out of my mind here! both the people who waved a disk in my face, wel, one's in south carolina on vacation right now and the other just went back to SWEDEN. >:[

it's getting frusterating cause i don't want to get attached to xp but i can't upgrade yet. i need that computer for schoolwork but i don't want to install anything cause it's all going to get wiped anyway. :[
help?
click to make it bigger

PizzaDrill

Quote from: "Chocofreak13"let's see:
family computer runs vista *barfs*
my personal computer is running xp, but i'm trying to upgrade it to 7/ubuntu (or maybe mint).

which brings me to this question:

DOES ANYONE HAVE AN .ISO OF WINDOWS 7. CAN SOMEONE TORRENT IT FOR ME? SEND IT? PLEASE???

ugh, i'm going out of my mind here! both the people who waved a disk in my face, wel, one's in south carolina on vacation right now and the other just went back to SWEDEN. >:[

it's getting frusterating cause i don't want to get attached to xp but i can't upgrade yet. i need that computer for schoolwork but i don't want to install anything cause it's all going to get wiped anyway. :[
help?

I have an ISO of the RTM somewhere I think. Maybe a couple betas too. I don't have any activation patches though.

Chocofreak13

my friend said he put it in the mail....so now i just gotta wait a few days.....^^;
click to make it bigger

NejinOniwa

Sorry 'bout that one...-w-;

Also, reminder: Unless shit is actually BROKEN, you don't NEED to wipe it. Just install it over and remove the XP and you'll be AwwwwRIGHT...

Oh: and that reminds me, my 7 is the Ultimate x64 version, which I think might've been a bit too much for your hardware to handle anyway... >_>
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS