Microsoft banned from selling Word in US.

Started by coldReactive, August 12, 2009, 12:13:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coldReactive

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/microsoft/6015902/Microsoft-banned-from-selling-Word-in-US.html

Holy crap. Oh and, BWA HA HA HA HA HA HA!

Also, Openoffice infringes on the same thing, and i4i can file "lost profits" against OpenOffice.

Alex S

Wow. This basically kills Microsoft Office, because although I don't know about whether PowerPoint works with XML files, Excel and Word certainly do.

Also, if this company goes after OpenOffice.org, I will be annoyed, as then people would be less able to obtain a good word processor.

VonDaab

Aurora Borealis

Red-Machine

Well, I still have my copy of Office XP, so I'll be fine.
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

IanDanKilmaster

When I first read about this, I was hoping it was just another case of "patent-trolling" that seems so prevalent in Texas, but after reading the Ars Technica article about it, I'm a little worried.  Microsoft says they're going to fight it, and chances are they'll wind up just buying out the company (as they did with other companies).  I'd be a little more worried if this affected more than the .docx and .docm formats (formats that OpenOffice currently does not natively support, afaik), but given that I have hated those ever since Microsoft introduced them, I'm a bit comme-ci comme-ca about this.

The Choice of a New Generation.

coldReactive

Quote from: "IanDanKilmaster"When I first read about this, I was hoping it was just another case of "patent-trolling" that seems so prevalent in Texas, but after reading the Ars Technica article about it, I'm a little worried.  Microsoft says they're going to fight it, and chances are they'll wind up just buying out the company (as they did with other companies).  I'd be a little more worried if this affected more than the .docx and .docm formats (formats that OpenOffice currently does not natively support, afaik), but given that I have hated those ever since Microsoft introduced them, I'm a bit comme-ci comme-ca about this.

docx can be read by OpenOffice, it just can't save them.

IanDanKilmaster

I knew there was an unofficial patch that would allow it to open .docx, but I don't think OO has done anything official regarding it yet. O_o

If they have, they'll be forced to remove that support as well (I guess it won't matter much if MS Office doesn't have it).

Red-Machine

lol, sound strategy.  If someone sues you over patent/copyright issues, just buy them out, then you'll own it.
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

NejinOniwa

Epic lulz achieved, approved by staff.

Drinks all round, gentlemen!
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Chocofreak13

*facepalm*
well, this is pure logic, right here. *please note the HEAVY sarcasm*

eeh, if all else fails and everyone attacks each other in an all-out word processor war, we'll just fall back to the 90's, when all we had was basic wordpad. that's all someone really needs, when you get right down to it.
click to make it bigger

NejinOniwa

That, or people will just stop caring about the copyrights altogether (and wouldn't that be just wondarfuuhl!?)...
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

IanDanKilmaster

Well I'd say this is the problem with software patents, but I never liked the .docx format anyway so I find it as a bit of blessing in disguise.

No one's trying to take away your Word, chances are Microsoft will: A) as I said before, just buy out this company, or B) just release a new version of Word, sans patent-infringing XML-formatting.  It all really depends on what option is the most economic.

Smokey

Heh, back in the early 90s we still had the clone wars and things were barely standardized... you had a whole host of word processors and their clones to choose from... ^_^
I dont tell you how to tell me what to do, so dont tell me how to do what you tell me to do... Bender the Great) :/
[Img disabled by Fedora-Tan]
Thanks Fedora-sama
Homer no function beer well without (Homer Simpson) ^_^

Aurora Borealis

Back then was compatibility (or lack of?) between the different word processors an issue back then?