I think I know how to start an Os-tan related Visual Novel

Started by galiant609, April 06, 2009, 09:32:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MajesticS

Hmm... About year of the story... It sure makes sense; Vista was really published before 2007... That's what happens when you haven't done research before doing things... Anyway, this year looked good for me not only because of Vista, but also because Linus Torvalds founded Linux Foundation on this year and it was a good excuse for Linux User to be present... Still, late 2005, why not - such things like founding an Open OS Consortium would take quite some time, maybe over an year, yes? And Vista wouldn't be so widespread yet. So, I'm changing the story date for 2005, is it agreed?

As for the name of city... Well, I thought that naming it after image board like Futaba will look suspicious, but it surely needed to be memorized since OS-tans born on Futaba. But well, suggestion about the corporation is good. Let's assume that Intel and AMD are main manufactors of "Mathematic CPUs" - which are very well common processors - but chips for AI cores are released mainly by Futaba Corporation. Its head office is located in the yet unnamed city of action, which still is a Computing Center of the world. We may also assume that city's Augmented Reality (i.e. cyberspace system) was also set up by Futaba Corporation. Well, this is good; let's change Futaba to the corp which releases AI core chips. Which leaves us without the name of the city; it's Japanese, so I might as well look through by Japanese dictionary, but any suggestions would be appreciated, since I don't know the system on which Japanese name their cities.

Anyway, I'm currently rather busy and cannot devote much of time to this project; anatomical maps which I must translate for the friend of mine are going well but there are too much of them (6 / 30). So, I would be thankful if someone thought about the name of the City... I will, on my end, update the Framework. Also I must mention that I've almost grasped the look of Windows 95 User which may lead to a sketch.

Chocofreak13

ooo, we need a city, name? we could name it after hottoyote, mah city. "hottoyote" is actually a 'swear' from english translated to japanese (believe it's "oh fuck" or "oh shit".)
click to make it bigger

IanDanKilmaster

Well, I know that Kyoto means "capital city" and Tokyo means "capital of the east", I don't know if that's any help.  It really goes back to the discussion regarding the Linux Master's name - do you want a name with a story, or a name that sounds authentic?

The Choice of a New Generation.

Kiso

Why not both? I mean, you can have a name that sounds authentic enough, yet have a story... at least one related to OS-tan or the gijinka movement... or... I don't know... something.

What about "Shiitake City"? We could also say that this city is more of an island satellite city to Japan... made as it is as part of a land reclamation project. Then again, that would be a more fitting name to the island than the City itself. Maybe we could say that it is the name of both the city and the island.
Sponsored by: iLurk - the new service that lets you stay and not be here | Procrast - the program where nothing intended gets done | HTML - home town messing life

MajesticS

About the city being an island... Why, that's a good idea! Omnipotent Futaba Corporation could buy one on its CEO's pocket money. As for the name, hell, I hate doing this... Actually, I thought about the name which will both sound good and mean something; I'll scan through my dictionaries some more, hoping to bring up something.

Still, haven't got enough time to do. This promise about translating maps really sucks all my time out. I humbly apologize for delays I'm creating right now. Im beginning to wonder if this work will take the rest of July...

IanDanKilmaster

An island name suggestion -> Aoishima.  If I'm not mistaken that means green island.

The Choice of a New Generation.

Aurora Borealis

"Aoi" is blue, "Midori" is green.

But I think Aoishima (or is it 'Aoijima?') would work. Aoi-->Blue-->BSOD! ;006

Kiso

BSOD Island... I sooooo want that name to represent OS Avatars from Linux, Unix, Windows and Macs alike. [/lol-sarcasm]

Anyways, you're right Aurora... Aoi = Blue and Midori = Green. I know cause of Project Midori.
Sponsored by: iLurk - the new service that lets you stay and not be here | Procrast - the program where nothing intended gets done | HTML - home town messing life

Nuker

Quote from: "Kiso"BSOD Island... I sooooo want that name to represent OS Avatars from Linux, Unix, Windows and Macs alike. [/lol-sarcasm]

BSOD/Spinning beachball of death/Kernel Panic Island then? :D [/lol mode]

Kiso

Uhm... guys... anyone came up with a good name yet?

MajesticS

Allright people, I'm back. Anathomical maps I was to translate are finally ready; (if anyone wants proof that I wasn't waisting my time for nothing, you can check here - (warning: not for the sensitive: bare meat!) http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s101/Doctor-Sinc/Anathomy/582.jpg, 587, 598, 593, 599, 600, 603, 618, 624, 628, 631, 633, 636, 637, 649, 650, 659, 668, 669 - and see the result for yourself. I've had to add all green labels, you see).

Now when this wearisome work is done, I could return to more pleasant things, like this project. My hands are bare for now, but I really took some time thinking, so give me a week or something more and I'll show you some more character sketches - I have Win95 and Mac OS 9 in mind. As for the name of the Futaba Corp.'s Island, I'll really give it some thought now; I'm already downloading a Japanese dictionary.

So, I'm off for now, with my sincerest apologies for my long absence and lack of results.

Kiso

I thought up one (somewhat related) name...

What about Karakuri Island? Karakuri means "mechanism / trick / device / dodge.

Yes... I came up with this a few days ago... sadly, I've come with it at a time when I was unable to come up here and post... so... kinda' late for me to post it. lol

icerain

"Life begins with a disk drive"

MajesticS

QuoteKarakuri island...
Well, "Karakuri" is not something they name the land with... Plus, as I know, "Karakuri" is used for another term - as synonym for "ningyo", or "puppet". OS-tans are not puppets, they're AIs with free will... Well, this is difficult.

----------------------------------------------------------

All right people... A'm really, really ashamed of myself, but now I'minto somewhat of a creative crisis. I think everything summed up: preparations to the upcoming educational year, prolonged repairs in my appartment, seasonal allergy of mine, etc. I just cannot concentrate... I think I won't be available for quite some time.

However, you must not think that I've given up on this project. It'sjust that other things appeared that I cannot avoid, such as education and so on. But I still will have free time, right, and will devote it to this project, so results will be appearing, only with lower frequency.

Please accept my apology for this disappointing confession... But I really have no way to beat myself. And hey - I'm still working on character sketch; it's just too much in my mind so I cannot pick a suitable appearance for the character in question.

icerain

"Life begins with a disk drive"