VIRUS ALERT!

Started by Red-Machine, March 20, 2009, 06:26:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Mario

Exactly. All of those begun as Windows 1.01, ended with ME.
(Sure, I got to use the very first Windows, but it kept crashing on a Windows DOS disk, and in DOSbox, until I tried my GO64 AIOS firmware's command prompt, it worked - much to surprise, it's all over in 4-bit color, much uglier than Windows 2.0 I also tried.)
;025 Now, Bowser... What can I do with you...

Smokey

Those two never caught on, because they were, well, rubbish... there was better stuff out there...
I dont tell you how to tell me what to do, so dont tell me how to do what you tell me to do... Bender the Great) :/
[Img disabled by Fedora-Tan]
Thanks Fedora-sama
Homer no function beer well without (Homer Simpson) ^_^

Red-Machine

Yeah.  I don't take any pre-95 Windows OS seriously.
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

Dr. Mario

Still cool to actually marvel at those ancient software that I laid my hands on, though. Anyways, those are piece of history that we will never ever see again, ever. (unless written on holographic glass cube by laser-etching)

Smokey

Oh, i actually have more respect for windows 3.11 than for win95, win98/SE or winME... But that may have something to do with the way computers worked back then...reliable... ^_^
I dont tell you how to tell me what to do, so dont tell me how to do what you tell me to do... Bender the Great) :/
Thanks Fedora-sama

Dr. Mario

Surprise! I ran Windows 3.1 on Athlon 64 Venice 2.2 GHz CPU, even though it thought it's 486 (due to it not reading CPUID, it simply pronounce the CPU's a 486, by the CPUID's presence, even this one's FOUR generation ahead of 3.1's heyday, that is, 886.) wonderfully - I eventually did it in multicore operation, with different x86 RISC CPU, this time, of 986 generation, it ran fine, except it loaded in a mind-blowing clip rate, pretty fast!

Smokey

Yeah, that's one of the fun things in those old programs... they didn't know what CPU-throttle was, so they will go full whack on any CPU... ^_^
Thanks Fedora-sama

Dr. Mario

Can agree on this one. Too bad I can't use USB keyboard in Windows 3.1 and I knew that it's crazy hard to make a OHCI driver, let alone loaded by a firmware.

Smokey

Well in theory it should be possible to have win3.11 support the same things (hardware/network/64-bit) as Vista, although it would then be the question of how "win-3.11" would it still be?
Thanks Fedora-sama

Red-Machine

Well, "Windows 3.11 64-bit Edition" sound good?
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

Dr. Mario

;001 Been there, done it. I had to use different OS kernel (GO64 OS worked fine) and build some weird kind of WOW64 plugins, and build some driver, like video card, and PCI-express, and southbridge. And, oh yeah, JVM too!