Digital Complex: Plot/Story Thread

Started by CaptBrenden, October 17, 2005, 08:51:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agelu

Im glad that things are working and progressing quite well... Im anxious to see your sketches...

EDIT: Oh, another thing! Master must have a name and a nick (was that said already) for the Internet of course. I'll think of it right away. Mmmm... Master should perhaps a few... "geek" friends, or something like that...

Mechazawa

Yes, B & C or something, I kind of want him to be a 16yo kid whose father created the tans in a failed attempt to bring back master's dead mother, but passed away leaving only a few keystrokes remaining to bring the tans to life, something like that..

anyway, some discussion on masters name is in this thread already.

I thought I would write more during the week, but things are getting hectic at work now.

CaptBrenden

I just started a 20 day vacation. SOmetime tonight im gonna start driving for washington state, but once i get there i will be free to draw as much as I want, woo!

Humm, I mentioned before doing something where he is all by himself in a large place left to him by his parents, so thats not entierly out of the ball park.  However.. I think perhaps it should be HIM that created the tans, not the father tho, IMHO.  Its still up for discussion as there is alot of visual concept work to do before anything starts getting produced exept for stand alone backgroundless comics like the teaser.  Im still kinda partial to the work mix up -.-  either way Ill have to either research office buildings or schools for layouts and such.  Perhaps a collage student dabbling in programing with the experimental computer technology his exentric dad left behind?

Humm the Ideas are on a roll.... His dad like you said was trying to recreate his dead wife using technology.  Perhaps he created the device that makes the girls manifest, however its the son who as a computer project for collage creates the visual user interface programs code named OS tans.

If this is the case, then the following are probobly true: A) the masters father was a mad scientist (not world domination, but exentric seluded and driven to do strange things buy some passion or dream. say... Cmdr Ikari enginering the third impact to see his wife again)

This being so, then he was probobly very rich and had a large place with many advnaced computers.  Imagin a large almost mansion like house (im thinking like one of those old centenial hoses that are all over washington) with a hidden basement filled with goodies.

Lets say then, he was very busy with work and had no time to take care of the kid after his wife was lost so he sent him off to live with relitives at a very young age.  Thus the son has no idea what kind of stuff his father did, and only came to find out after working on his class project on the super computer downstairs and wakes up to find all these strange girls in his house..

Now like a true mad scientist he probobly had a rival of sorts. Either that person could turn to the son as the new rival trying to steal away that preciose technology, or maybe a story along the same lines leave the rivals son in the same situation, and thus the new generation of rivalry.

Now the master, I see as being a reclusive socialy inept person, after all he grew up without a father and mother essentialy. But maybe intellegence runs in the family and he too is extreamly talented with computers.  This would effectivly make him a geek.  An otaku that dosnt get along with most people and loves computers.  yep thats a geek. (I am one, i know XD)

Now, this is how that character can grow and develop as now he has half a dozen girls in his home, all that are in at least some way interested in him but with extreamly diffent personalities which will give him more then enough experience by the end to handle any Normal girl.

Another thought.. as we brought up the main female character of the story.  It would be difficult to pick one of the tans to end up with him dispite their feelings, as they are in fact programs/machines.  Maybe there is a girl he likes but cant seem to talk to or communicate with at school/work and as he learns to live with the tans he develops the courage and confidence he needs to get the girl, but the jealose os tans wont have it!  Maybe she likes him too, and there are many funny mis understandings as she sees all these girls with him (like poor little 98 running around head over heals for him.. making him look like quite the pedophile to her o.O)

the mansion type idea works to both of our intentions.  A large yard and walled fence with plenty of trees would keep the OS tans concealed so that they arnt overly noticed even in the middle of the city, but it would still be very easy for their antics to spill out into the real world :P

anyhow... that was quite the impromptu brain storm session. hopefully we get something out of it, but now i must pack to drive home!
"YOU IDIOT!!" -Kasen Ibara

Commisions Available - Send PM for details.

Agelu

Capt. plz make a txt with all the accepted ideas, its better than finding the accepted pieces of it throught the topic. Perhaps Mr. Linux-master (AKA Admin) should consider to make a "Storage" folder, or something, that would be a great place to store ideas on txt.

CaptBrenden

possibly, I plan on compiling most of the major Ideas in the opening post, such as overall plot and such

CaptBrenden

Wowsers, I havent touched this thread in a long time.  Honestly I thought deployment would see alot more progress.  But again.. just like the last two.. seeing either endless ocean or dirt everyday untill time has no meaning and the 130 degree weather stops your brain from functioning right let alone creativly has a way of derailing progress.  Now I have less then a month before I bounce to kuwait and then back to the states and Ive finaly come back to the project just as determined as ever.  I hope no one thought I forgot about it or gave up!

First order of buisness...  Who is still around thats interested in working on it?  I hope mechazawa is still around but I doubt it... I will send Him a PM after this (especialy since ive just about finished his request/prize drawing of XP on a vespa).  I have a new member of the team. Currently not even a board member, but rather my best bud out here in no mans land.  Ive been good friends with him for 4 years almost now and he is quite the ambitios writer.  Hes submitted several short stories to publishing companys tho none have been published so far (tho he is quite proud of the fact they were at least good enough to get a costimized rejection letter which means they thought he had merit but needed more work).  Ive talked to him about working jointly on a comic project for some time now, and we have experemented on several storylines but so far to no avail. However! Since I was working (not as fast as I had hoped) out here, I was constantly bouncing Ideas off of him and I seem to have gotten him exited about it!  He and I are both currently working on writting plot for DIGI COM and we seem to have taken it in a slightly differnt direction.

First off, the change in direction comes form a thought of mine... Originaly we assumed that the Master would be just that, a master of computer stuff.  It seemed natural and we didnt think to much about this... but concider... what if the master was actually compleatly computer illiterate??  Chaos! Maehem! Comedy!  In his day to day life not only must he learn to live with the girls, but he must learn the very basics of computers as well!  Me tan gets sick and he cant figure out why untill 2k asks if he installed anti virus software!  What?!? I didnt know that he says!  A simple one issue plot arc!  

This has several advantages.. the biggest being the fact that I am fairly computer illiterate and it would have been very hard to make a convincing computer genius on paper not knowing that much myself.  What ever the user is learning about that issue is all Ill have to research to sound knowlageable.  

Second,  it also teaches the readers something!  Not all OS tan fans are computer geeks as well so learing the ins and outs of the system could be interesting as well.

Anyhow... Him being iliterate also establishes something else.. someone else has to create the tans (for the most part at least) Enter the friend!

I imagin a second "user" more as a secondary/supporting character.  I imagin him being a cross between major hughes FMA, the friend in Chobits, and kajhi iin EVA.  Im thinking a scruffy, DOMIT (dirty old man in training) Otaku computer hacker/genius extrodinair and cool guy in one.  

Imagin:  This firend  is a computer programer there in washington for Microsoft.  He works on all manner of extramly high tech and experimental stuff, as well as his own little side projects.  He is working on a solid hologram, digital matter producter etc... as his job project but cant seem to get it to work.  In his spare time being the geek and otaku he is, he creates little AI OS apps like desktop mascots based on the orginal designs on the japanese image boards. (a little homage to the original creators giving them the credit the deserve) so he didnt design them, he just made the programes that brign them to life. The user himself will be the one that accidently combineds the two projects and brings them into reality....

Issue one,  will go something like this:  Start with the user, posibly walking down the street carrying a book bag, or riding the bus.  I imagin him doing sort of a intoduction of him self while he is traveling.. a sort of "my name is _____ ___, a 21 year old collage student in everett washington.  Im your normal boring guy, exept one thing... I really hate computers, and computers hate me..."  He meets up with the friends, after a brief exchange the friend tells the main character he is headed out of town and asks the user to feed his fish or some other house sitting task.  The user agrees and asks if he can check his email on his friends comp when ever he does.  The friend will be aprehensive knowing how bad the user is and being protective of his gear as any super geek is but agrees cus he needs the help and hes shown him 20 gazillion times how to do it, hes got to be able to get it right this time!

While checking his email,  the user looks for a disk to save something.. a message, homework assignement or a funny picture he was sent and pops the disc with the OS AI's on into the machine (into the wroung drive as there are probobly about thrity on the geek friends computer)  a coffee spill/pet accident/tripped on cord/or other catastrophic user error the computer sparks flashes impressivly.. then dies.  THe user franticly replugs it in, presses power, and breaths a deep sigh of relife when it starts to boot up.. but decides its best not to try again without his friend present and locks up and leaves...

He goes home, falls asleep and the next morning a female voice gently calls to him while shaking his shoulder... he awakes to find himself surrounded on all sides by very strange but beautiful girls that want to wait on him hand and foot.   and so it begins..

at this point it will be only 2k, xp, 95, ME, and 98. EGADS you say!  the captain didnt mention 3.1!! could he have forgotten his favorite of the OSes?!?! NEVAR I SAY! Let me continue...  THe first couple issues will be him figuring out who they are, what they can do and generaly stuff like that... Living with OSes 101.  Just getting to know them could be quite disasterus in itself.  We establish the rules of the story (by rules, I mean the basic rules of the fictisios world we are creating. What can and cant be done.  

They establish such rules early on in many such mangas/animes at the very start so that if those rules are broken at the climax it seems so much more momentus!  Its seen alot in shows like.. bleach.  they lay down the rules for the spirit world,  what powers the average Deathgod cant have, and then when the main character shatters those established rules is seems so much more important.

Once the rules have been established we can the begin the rising action and conflict, starting with... dun dun dunh!!!! 3.1!  HOLY TOLITO! 3.1 and dos are going to be the first villans? what madness is this?!?!  Listen dear friends and I will explain...

The friend comes back from his trip about this point and returns to his apartment to find it smelling like burnt plugs and coffee, the door broke and off its hindges and the computers systems he had in there in compleat dissaray (readers of the comic will note it didnt look like that when the user left the room...Leading them to belive that it was the oses breaking out that smashed up his stuff)

Being the crazy mad scientist type he is, i can see him sitting around, and actually putting the events togeather in his head.. In a train of logic that would seem absolutly insane to anyone else but he (having watched entirely too much anime)  tries to do it again now that he has figured it out! But... His AI programs are gone.. exept.. one.  He remembers that he still has a disc of 3.1 laying around in a shoe box in his closet.  He being the tech guy that he is always wanting to upgrade was going to throw it out long ago but the user being computer iliterate but a little sedimental convinces the geek friend not to throw it out, but just store it cus "it might be useful sometime"

He uses a base AI program, combinds it with 3.1 and imagry from the online forums pulgs it in, spills some coffee trips on the cord, sparks and light again! and then nothing. He laughs relizing how foolish it was to belive such a ridiculus thing.. and he goes out to buy cleaning stuff for his trashed appartment.....

Meanwhile, back at the users, like as... um.. abnormal?  normal daily antics.. however... a shadow is in the background and things keep going wroung like they are being sabotoged!  and they are!  Just like the other OSes, 3.1 came alive (the geeks calculations were correct but just like before, it took her a little bit to form.. it wasnt instantanius..  Now she, with her little cat dos are causing problems for the other girls.. trying to make them look faulty...  But why would sweet little 3.1 do that you ask?  Being the oldest one... what do you think her core need would be?  If you were and OS, what would be the worst thing that could happen to you?

If you ask me... it would be to be obsoleat.  No no longer be of use.  If I was her, that would be my number one fear... and the user unlike anyone else, thought she was still useful and saved her from the trash can.  Emotionless little 3.1 is not madly in love with the user and is trying to sabotage to other OSes out of jealosy?  Trying to get on top of the OS war?  

A little more emotion to the wacky hijinks, but in the end, the user will somehow stop the OS war, but only after a few cool battle sceans of 3.1 calling upon dos, and the other girls using their power back! You know, 98 box away! ninja 95 sword, maybe a XP mega ultra lazer blaster or something.. However with dos being a intragal part of the oses Im sure 3.1 would be a decent match for all of them

again, I havent figured out how exactly yet, but the user will stop the fighting and in the end 3.1 will be intagrated into the family and she will find a spot where shes useful and can be by the masters side, who rivalry and competion for his attention will continue.

anyhow, those were just some of the thoughts me and my bud were thinking about.  One major problem we see so far tho.. is that the geek friend may be to interesting for the user to compeat with... the user must be flushed out more to make him more appealing.  Tho.. i forgot to go into the geeks flaws... as I said he is going to be a otaku and a DOMIT meaning a drooling perverted guy, always doing things to make the girls shreik and such.  His tastes may have effected a few things like character design on the AIs.. so they may come to question his motives for creating some of the revealing clothing they wear or the fact that he made 98 a little girl (damn lolis!!)

anyhow... thats enough for that rant, time to fine food

SleepyD

I am willing to contribute!

I can feed you any random ideas, and I may be willing to even *gasp* draw!

ehe.. well, hopefuly I'll have enough free time.  It's something I tend to lack no matter how much time management skills I "learn"
My empty devART site is a testament to that.

CaptBrenden

Well about a month here Ill be kicking it up into high gear on this so any help would be appriciated.

SleepyD

This was a random thought that came to my head...

Norton and McAfee battling a hoarde of giant viruses, worms, and trojan horses.

With a multitude of weaponry.
....That needs to be updated constantly.

And... The two don't get along so well? Due to Doc Norton being a perverted old guy and all...

How this can be integrated into a story that hasn't been made, I have no idea.  Gotta add other stuff... like, why did this happen in the first place... Of course... they'd have to be protecting the OS-tans... and that would mean, they should be in trouble of some sort....

bah, you guys think for me. I'm tired. lol

...I like drawing action scenes, but I really suck. haha I'm better with more "still" pictures.  So, anyway, I'll just blurt my random ideas here whenever they come.

CaptBrenden

Im alright with action sceans, but I also have no problem with trying to draw things I dont normaly.

Actually I have a flash video that showes that.  Most of the flash is about the 98's but there is a part in it where the virus buster programs go to fight, norton doing some kung fu stuff, and mcafee has a battalion of tanks at her disposal

NewYinzer

QuoteActually I have a flash video that showes that. Most of the flash is about the 98's but there is a part in it where the virus buster programs go to fight, norton doing some kung fu stuff, and mcafee has a battalion of tanks at her disposal

Really? Where can I find it?

CaptBrenden

i dont knwo where on line, I have it on my comp.. ive been meanign to unload the like 10 OS tan flashes I have on pitkin so he can put them in the downloads
like I have the troubled windows actuall flash, that you can click on things and interact with it

NewYinzer

QuoteI have the troubled windows actuall flash, that you can click on things and interact with it

It's pretty cool. I have quite a few of them, but I also have several video files.

Kami-Tux

Basic idea should be the user and his many Operating Systems, who became alive and try to get his love and fight among themselves. Some story ideas:
* first story: (User writes a letter) Hello Robert, they indeed didn throw me out of the house after I forgot to pay the rent. (picture of a spacious house) until further notice, I live in the house, where my parents used to live - right in the middle of nowhere. (picture of many different computers and software-shelves). Everything here is full of the weird projects my Dad worked on. I guess he had any OS every released for his job. (he writes again/alternatively, he goes to the mailbox) I call you as soon the electricity works! Toshi
(User puts a box labelled 'Operating Systems' in a room) (user closes the door, which is labelled: 'Verkörperungskammer', User thinks: "Why did Dad still use German for everything? He lived in the US since decades!") (lights suddenly go on, User thinks: "Great, electricity working!") (loud noises are heard from the door, user is confused, says: "What... the...") (door opens, OS-tans come out, user says: "...fuck!")!

A later story idea would be the following: Dos goes Unix. DOS-tan is very depressed after her favorite system disk stopped working and she can not find another 5 1/4 inch floppy disk. Linux-tan sees the crying creature and asks her what's up, DOS-tan cries: "I am obsolete!" Linux-tan (who in previous stories already showed that she has no grasp on capitslism or commercial software) asks why DOS-tan then does not patch itself. Linux-tan tells the confused DOS-tan that she is the same OS since 1991. DOS-tan is amazed and wants to become a Linux-tan as well. She starts wearing Linux-tan like (but simpler and shabbier) clothes (which however have "cygwin" instead of a USB-logo and the KDE-gear of the helmet is missing). The other OS-tans and the user get annoyed by her since she wants to be a Unix-tan but isn't (for example fails at multitasking, still has no idea what the internet is). Eventually, User gives her a new system disk (which is labelled "FreeDos") and shows her that DOS still is developped and used. The last scene should show the user gaming a tetris or such.

* Linux-tan goes shopping: Linux-tan takes the purse of user and interestedly checks its contents. for her, the banknotes are just paper with pictures she calls the coins "exported from SuperTux". User wants to explain her capitalism and goes shopping with her. She however is so OpenSource-centered that she fails to understand the concept of buying and selling (idea: asks the butcher to give her some meat and she would make goulash for her and him).

Kial Harry Potter ĉiam faras danĝerajn aferojn?

Pro lia vol\' de mort\'!

Alfamille

QuoteQuote from : Kami-Tux

Basic idea should be the user and his many Operating Systems, who became alive and try to get his love and fight among themselves. Some story ideas:
* first story: (User writes a letter) Hello Robert, they indeed didn throw me out of the house after I forgot to pay the rent. (picture of a spacious house) until further notice, I live in the house, where my parents used to live - right in the middle of nowhere. (picture of many different computers and software-shelves). Everything here is full of the weird projects my Dad worked on. I guess he had any OS every released for his job. (he writes again/alternatively, he goes to the mailbox) I call you as soon the electricity works! Toshi
(User puts a box labelled 'Operating Systems' in a room) (user closes the door, which is labelled: 'Verkörperungskammer', User thinks: "Why did Dad still use German for everything? He lived in the US since decades!") (lights suddenly go on, User thinks: "Great, electricity working!") (loud noises are heard from the door, user is confused, says: "What... the...") (door opens, OS-tans come out, user says: "...fuck!")!

A later story idea would be the following: Dos goes Unix. DOS-tan is very depressed after her favorite system disk stopped working and she can not find another 5 1/4 inch floppy disk. Linux-tan sees the crying creature and asks her what's up, DOS-tan cries: "I am obsolete!" Linux-tan (who in previous stories already showed that she has no grasp on capitslism or commercial software) asks why DOS-tan then does not patch itself. Linux-tan tells the confused DOS-tan that she is the same OS since 1991. DOS-tan is amazed and wants to become a Linux-tan as well. She starts wearing Linux-tan like (but simpler and shabbier) clothes (which however have "cygwin" instead of a USB-logo and the KDE-gear of the helmet is missing). The other OS-tans and the user get annoyed by her since she wants to be a Unix-tan but isn't (for example fails at multitasking, still has no idea what the internet is). Eventually, User gives her a new system disk (which is labelled "FreeDos") and shows her that DOS still is developped and used. The last scene should show the user gaming a tetris or such.

* Linux-tan goes shopping: Linux-tan takes the purse of user and interestedly checks its contents. for her, the banknotes are just paper with pictures she calls the coins "exported from SuperTux". User wants to explain her capitalism and goes shopping with her. She however is so OpenSource-centered that she fails to understand the concept of buying and selling (idea: asks the butcher to give her some meat and she would make goulash for her and him).

The main character on the story based on Kami-Tux's thought is Linux-tan...which couldn't be helped coz he is a Linux user...

But i believe each of us have its own story to build, different environment on its own characters  and different settings...but we should really respect Capt's wishes on this project.