Computer tech blog

Started by Dr. Mario, March 11, 2009, 04:28:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Mario

I would recommend Radeon HD, because it's already open-sourced and is relatively easy on power supply but still have crazy horsepower at the same time, while 40nm Radeon HD 4890 is pretty close to two TRILLIONS operations per seconds (1.3 - 1.6 TFLOPS)

And if you don't care about money, go with NVIDIA GeForce GTX2x.

I think it's better to try motherboard first before buying the fancy pimped-out video cards. They're expensive nowaday.
;025 Now, Bowser... What can I do with you...

Smokey

Well, i was a nVidia fan, but i would go for an ATI card now that they've been bought by AMD...

BTW what vidcard do you have now? GeForce 8***/ 9***?
I dont tell you how to tell me what to do, so dont tell me how to do what you tell me to do... Bender the Great) :/
[Img disabled by Fedora-Tan]
Thanks Fedora-sama
Homer no function beer well without (Homer Simpson) ^_^

NejinOniwa

Radeon 4870 512mb...one of the first releases, from Sapphire. As long as I can keep it cool enough, it's bad ass...
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Dr. Mario

That's good enough.

Also I'm wondering if anybody know how to hack the Linux to toss the video data through the HDMI (DVI-D) through a projector possibly with a f***ed-up EDID... The reason I ask was because I tried few command to force the TI Pico projector (development verison, the one that go with Beagle board) - I heard few people succeed in hacking their x86-compatible GPU to display anything from Pico on the x86 Linux.

Pleeeease help me out!
(BTW, I'm using a 64-bit Mandriva Free 2009)

Added after 7 minutes:

P.S. If anybody got their hands on Beagle board and have a TI Pico projector running off it, and I would like it if you would give me a driver for it.

Also I'm starting a thread on both Beagle board AND of course, TI Pico projector too.

Smokey

QuoteAs long as I can keep it cool enough, it's bad ass...

True for every component... RAM, CPU, GPU, GRAM, North/Southbridge, HDD...
Although i wonder if harddisks can be overclocked... ^_^

BTW i don't know how to hack linux to do such things, i also didn't know that it's even possible  to "hack" linux...
I dont tell you how to tell me what to do, so dont tell me how to do what you tell me to do... Bender the Great) :/
Thanks Fedora-sama

IanDanKilmaster

Quote from: "Smokey"BTW i don't know how to hack linux to do such things, i also didn't know that it's even possible to "hack" linux...

I wouldn't know how to do it either, but "hacking" your own OS is more or less a part of being a "power user" in Linux.  Especially so with an OS like Gentoo, where you have to compile everything.

My only suggestion to Dr. Mario would be to search Mandriva's forums, if you haven't already.  If people have done it before, surely there is a HowTo online somewhere that could aid you.

The Choice of a New Generation.

Dr. Mario

Yes, there may be a how-to guide. And, NO - there are no such easy way out, because you have to fire off special code, via the I2C out of HDMI already on-board, to set the TI Pico projector to run off VGA data, in that case, 640x480 display data.

Another issue is, the Pico projector absolutely no EDID serial flash connected to DVI host interface microcontroller (TRUST ME! I have disassembled the projector to put Arctic Silver 5 paste upon LEDs. The only flash was for holding the GPU's firmware, -

Added after 12 minutes:

- although it's user-reprogrammable via MSP430 programmer port), hence upping the ante in programming this device to acting like a monitor, regardless of absence of EDID data. Its original intention was to be a development kit, but because of its apparent open-source usage, it's also a popular add-on for Beagleboard, also open-sourced. (You can also make Beagleboard yourself too)

Oh well, I will figure it out somehow.

It was and still is awesome to have something that small and portable.

Smokey

Seen that some time ago already, and found this 50 Terrabyte disc more interesting... ^_^
Thanks Fedora-sama

Dr. Mario

Yes, it's interesting. (and my company, I think, is playing with 22 Petabyte storage capacity off the electromorphive scintillator crystal cube). And, sorry I haven't been online for two months, hot weather have been messing WiFi up... Smokey, got any first light yet?

Smokey

Heh, yeah i did...
Damn near took my screen out (and my eye)...

Apparently i wasn't cooling it enough, and it gives quite little warning before the rod fails...
Too bad, i wanted to leave a working laser before i started my basic training (only have one week left before i join the airforce)...

oh well, wanted to replace it with a NdGlass rod anyway...
Thanks Fedora-sama

Dr. Mario

;001  That's a mighty laser! I'm curious, what lamp did you pump it with? (Ruby laser, if stirred well, can put out 10 MegaWatts pulsed output - roughly compared to 100kW CW.)

I'm thinking about building a X-ray laser. I got parts being collected up as I'm either bugging for free sample and/or buying couple from www.mouser.com - Inverter I'm build for the laser have to spit out 10 Amps at 10,000 Volts AC. I wouldn't worry much, I'm using a PowerPC microcontroller for power management and safety protocol.

Smokey

Heh, well i couldn't scrounge up the right LEDs so i "borrowed" the halogen lamps from my ceiling light...

Guess i really do have to beef up the cooling system... And realign the optics, since the output was...well...not what i expected...
Thanks Fedora-sama

Dr. Mario

That's kind of bad idea... Ruby laser, as I found out on Sam's laser FAQ, hates Halogen lamp and being operated in CW.. At least Nd:YAG's bit more forgiving. (Near-UV [404nm] LED being pulsed, to pump the ruby rod, may be the best bet.)

And, yes - you can use PC fans, but remember, if you wanna run an Argon-Ion laser, you will want minimum of 250 CFM. Yeah, yeah, I know the fan will be loud, but it's totally worth it.

Smokey

Well, i don't mind the noise... i just have to build a wind tunnel, so the fans aren't loosely blowing over the rod...
Thanks Fedora-sama