Computer tech blog

Started by Dr. Mario, March 11, 2009, 04:28:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Mario

NejinOniwa, how did you break it? I'm wondering, since it's possible that I may help you out. (I have messed around with the computer long enough to know)

BTW, Smokey, I shouldn't worry too much about trying to recover anything, I will have to worry about it later.
;025 Now, Bowser... What can I do with you...

Smokey

Yeah, it might actually help to say what the problem is... ^_^
Strange BIOS bleeps, no video etc...
I dont tell you how to tell me what to do, so dont tell me how to do what you tell me to do... Bender the Great) :/
[Img disabled by Fedora-Tan]
Thanks Fedora-sama
Homer no function beer well without (Homer Simpson) ^_^

Dr. Mario

Yep. There are 3 (4 if using newer video card) most common problems: Caked-up CPU heatsink (fried CPU or forced thermal trip), messed-up OS(es)/boot sector, power supply failure (fuse is largely to be blamed), newer video card not getting power from IDE/PCIe power plug AND/OR caked-up GPU heatsink.

Now that's it or so I think.

Smokey

Faulty RAM module or destroyed MoBo can also be causes... Where a faulty DIMM can be easily replaced/removed for the system to work again...

BTW, you haven't been flashing your BIOS, have you? cause that is also a nice way to murder your system...
I dont tell you how to tell me what to do, so dont tell me how to do what you tell me to do... Bender the Great) :/
Thanks Fedora-sama

NejinOniwa

The cause of the break is much more...material than that, I fear. I was messing around with the graphics card earlier, and I think I might have snapped something, very wrongly...

Enough about that, though. I'm just off to return&replace department of the place I bought it tomorrow -w-
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Smokey

Oh, you have warranty on the complete system?
Why didn't you say so before?! RMA the thing, let them sort it out... ^_^
Thanks Fedora-sama

NejinOniwa

I dunno about the whole system, but the mobo has, at least (the store I bought some parts from went down in fall - they're up again now, but I dunno). So yeah, kinda good.

Smokey

Also RMA the vidcard, or test the MoBo with another vidcard and/or the vidcard on another mobo to see what part is actually broken...
Thanks Fedora-sama

NejinOniwa

Like I said, the store that sold me the vidcard went down and out for 6 months...I doubt my order history is still there and valid.

Dr. Mario

That would be a problem trying to get it replaced.

Nowaday, the current video processor chip (from '04 to present) are much nastier than its predecessor. They're packaged like Pentium III or Athlon K7, namely FCBGA (Flip-chip Ball Grid Array) - their die is visibly exposed. It's easy to kill that, if it don't have heatsink shim, and you accidentally flip the heatsink and you hear the classic snap, crackle and pop. It's done. What's also scary, the north/southbridge chipsets are also packaged the same way.

NejinOniwa

Then it's more likely to be one of the mobo things - my graphics card is damn right wrapped in hueg loads of FAN, so don't worry -w-

Smokey

Well it doesn't have to bee cooked to be broken... you can always check to see if it still works...
Thanks Fedora-sama

NejinOniwa

No, I mean, it's wrapped up in too much plastic for me to be able to touch anything below it... -w-;

Dr. Mario

The video processor chip's fine, huh?

I'm thinking that you may have accidentally fractured the Northbridge chipset (test mobo out by doing power cycling: if it doesn't turn off after 4 seconds and the button's still held down, it means the chipset or CPU's cooked.) OR you may have somehow got the parts to fall off the video card. (I doubt that you may have bent the video card.)

Okay, inspect the video card and motherboard carefully - however, if you have the spare parts, it might help making that short.

NejinOniwa

Like I said, since I've got the vidcard from a now-defunct store, there's little use doing anything other than just return the mobo and hope for the best.

Then again, except for the money I wouldn't mind a new graphics card, since the one I have seems to be a bit swooshy about itself. Maybe an Nvidia card this time?

On that topic, do you prefer ATI or Nvidia vidcards?