As in Saseko Madobe, Nisen Madobe and etc. That's wrong.
Madobe girls and futaba OS-tans are not related in the slightest! Wouldn't be more logical to call them Futabas?
The Madobe personifications are arguably the most visible manifestation of the OS girl phenomena, so people are applying concepts related to them to earlier OS personifications (OS-tans).
Not saying it's right (I disagree with it) but I understand why it's happening.
Not to mention that the Futaba OS-tans have a fairly loose canon beyond core physical and personality traits, so people will apply whatever additional traits they want as headcanon/fanon.
(Btw, welcome & feel free to introduce yourself in the new member thread!)
It's the stupidest thing ever and I hate when it happens
I guess it's because they see characters like Madobe Nanami, Madobe Yuu. So they assume the full names of the futaba OS-tans sounds something like this as well.
It's kinda sad because that means characters like Madobe Goichi and other characters from the Madobe Family tree gets forgotten cause people assume that Madobe OS-tans and Futaba OS-tans are related to each other :(
I think it would be awesome if people would make their own designs of Madobe OS-tans that doesn't have them, like Madobe Mikaho, Madobe Sango etc. (Those are actual Madobe OS-tans mentioned in the Madobe Family tree: https://moeverse.xyz/wiki/File:%E5%AE%B6%E7%B3%BB%E5%9B%B3_Translated.png
Quote from: Lily1027 on August 14, 2026, 09:08:28 AMI guess it's because they see characters like Madobe Nanami, Madobe Yuu.
Yeah, that's mostly the case, also including that many people got introduced to OS-tans thanks to Michael MJD and his Nanami video.
And as Bella said, loose canon does not help in the slightest. It's up to users to decide what is canon and what is not.
It would be nice if someone made a piece of media that could set a timeline at least or something like that, but yet again it'll just be another interpretation.
Quote from: johnTCD on August 16, 2026, 02:31:46 AMYeah, that's mostly the case, also including that many people got introduced to OS-tans thanks to Michael MJD and his Nanami video.
And as Bella said, loose canon does not help in the slightest. It's up to users to decide what is canon and what is not.
It would be nice if someone made a piece of media that could set a timeline at least or something like that, but yet again it'll just be another interpretation.
I see, however, I don't remember that Michael MJD would use those unofficial names like Saseko Madobe or Nisen Madobe in the video? And yeah, I think too it's up on people what they will consider canon and what not.
Quote from: Lily1027 on August 16, 2026, 10:25:31 AMSaseko Madobe or Nisen Madobe
No, i mean that he made a video about Nanami Madobe, right?
And people just started calling every MS OS-tan Madobe since that, at least from my experience
Though most people who call them that are posers(so-called larpers, pardon my french), again from my experience
I think it's a risk of any internet meme (using this in the viral idea sense of the term, not the joke sense of the term). Without a central creator and canon it's impossible to determine what is correct except by the consensus of what gets replicated by artists (how we got the original established traits for the Futaba OS-tans).
Unless something big comes along that establishes a canon for the Futaba -tans in the same way that KanePixel's backroom shorts & movie established a canon (at least in the popular imagination) for the original 4chan "backrooms" meme, we'll probably be stuck in this cycle forever.
I don't think it's impossible, especially as aughts web nostalgia grows in popularity, but I don't think it's terribly likely either. Nanami Madobe (et. al.) *may* be such a canonization of the OS-tan concept, which is unfortunate because it may crowd out development for the Futaba designs.
Quote from: johnTCD on August 16, 2026, 02:31:46 AMIt would be nice if someone made a piece of media that could set a timeline at least or something like that, but yet again it'll just be another interpretation.
There's a lot of Doujinshi to read if you want, some of them are even a series.
But like Bella said it's a loose canon inherently and that's kind of the beauty of it.
Doujinshi? Some of them are even a series?
Oh if that ain't great!!!! Can you share some with me?
Quote from: johnTCD on August 16, 2026, 11:12:05 PMDoujinshi? Some of them are even a series?
Oh if that ain't great!!!! Can you share some with me?
Doujin Republic is the main place I look at for OS-tan doujins physically.
Warning though there are many NSFW doujins there as well. https://doujinrepublic.com/product/tag_page.html?tags=26930&adult=-1
As-Special has a SFW OS-tan battle series that is my favorite to look at. They are titled after different Windows versions and "Prototype".
If you want to just read them there is sometimes scans available on hentai manga sites, but you may have to dig around to find non-pornographic series.
Quote from: johnTCD on August 16, 2026, 11:12:05 PMDoujinshi? Some of them are even a series?
Oh if that ain't great!!!! Can you share some with me?
OS-tan doujins are the only common and cheap piece of merch there are of them because a lot were made for Futaba Gakuensai and other conventions, there's plenty on Suruga-ya and Mandarake if you know how to use a proxy service, I got a couple of Obabasama back in March for some ~700 or so yen each using Zenmarket
Quote from: Goujer on August 17, 2026, 02:44:46 PMDoujin Republic is the main place I look at for OS-tan doujins physically. Warning though there are many NSFW doujins there as well. https://doujinrepublic.com/product/tag_page.html?tags=26930&adult=-1
IIRC those people just dropship off Japanese websites at a huge markup
I see...
What about digital doujins? Cause i'm afraid it's not possible for me to get a physical one.
Quote from: oobabasama on August 17, 2026, 09:56:49 PMIIRC those people just dropship off Japanese websites at a huge markup
Fuck man, for real? I gotta be looking elsewhere then.
Quote from: oobabasama on August 13, 2026, 07:22:27 PMIt's the stupidest thing ever
- Ⓧ Doubt
- It's ableist to call things stupid.
Quote from: Hālian on August 28, 2026, 06:33:51 PM- Ⓧ Doubt
- It's ableist to call things stupid.
I'd rather say it's inaccurate than stupid.