SCRAP PAPER.

Started by NejinOniwa, February 26, 2009, 08:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bella

Yey more OS-tan fanfickery! *happydance*

I've become a bit fond of writing too, since it allows a person to lay out stories relatively quickly compared to writing and illustrating comics. On one hand, it doesn't have the visual pizazz and perhaps not as wide of an audience, but it's a great way of getting those ideas out of your head and onto paper and can be just as impressive as a comic when executed correctly. (Plus, it's always fun to work on new skills, right?)

It's just an opening, but I like it so far. You've highlighted Xenix-san's rarely-seen compassionate side and I like your use of setting and descriptions. Stylistically, your writing could use a bit of improvement but that's something that can only come with practice. I'm very interested to see where this might go.  ;010

(Incidentally, I've always liked the idea of writing short stories to fill in those missing pieces of OS-tan backstory; I even considered writing some stuff about Multics-tan back around Halloween but it never materialised.)

Quote from: "Aurora Borealis"I'm especially curious about your latest fic, with XP and VMS.

Why was it that XP was kicked out of the family, and did the other Windows-tans older than her suffer the same fate? By that time, there'll probably be a Windows 9! --and maybe a beta of Windows 10--

And when narrating about how VMS outlived many of her peers because of her great adaptability, did that include many of her relatives that are alive now but not then? :(

Among the OS-tans, VMS is one of the luckier ones in terms of fate, being so adaptable for a proprietary OS. The only OS-tans with a better fate than her are the open source ones.

I'm not entirely sure, and will probably remain ambiguous on that point. However, I imagine it has to do with MS' eventually discarding the NT line in favour of a "better" base, like Unix (BSD has a very liberal license, making it a good target) or a proprietary one (like the mysterious MinWin). It can be assumed that most of the other Windows-tans are out of the family at this point, either living as Vintage-tans or wanderers.

Also ambiguous what exactly VMS-tan means by "surviving"-- she could either mean in the physical sense of still being alive, or in the sense that she's still useful and employed. (I have a sneaking suspicion that OpenVMS will be around for a long time to come, not unlike some of the old Burroughs and UNIVAC OSes that were created in the early 60s and are still in use today).

VMS-tan has fared well though; probably some combination of her excellent fighting and strategic skills + a slight degree of portability (and the ability to work with emulated hardware) + popularity with the people (even thought she's a relative underdog in the Unix/Windows dominated world, she still has a diehard hobbyist following). There are some well-off old proprietary OS-tans though; MCP-tan was born in 1961 and is still as powerful as she ever was, and EXEC-sama might even have do a bit of work too (under the alias of OS 2200)

Aurora Borealis

Those were the trade-offs I was concerned about. I didn't think that my simply writing the story wouldn't compare to illustrating it, but I like learning new skills.

It seems likely that MS will eventually replace the NT line, with proposed alternatives. Haven't heard of MinWin, but I've heard something about their project 'Midori' some time back, I think it was a couple of years ago though.

Amazing how OSes over 40 years old are still in use today, and the future looks to be in VMS's favor, she's even willing to go in public without her mask, plus being like one of the most badass OS-tans ever!

The proprietary OS-tans that may be the worst off are the Windows-tans and Mac-tans, who know that they are each destined for obsolescence within a few years, being replaced by their younger sister (cue the sibling rivalries!). Their best hope being a following by hobbyists, many using emulators. Oh, and hope that they don't kicked out of their houses!

Not sure if OS2200 should be the same character as EXEC or not, thinking that would contradict with her backstory. In the present, she's retired and for some time despaired over her retirement and feeling like a burden to her friends, as her massive hair requires a lot of maintenance, and she is barely mobile anyways, and that it was her friendship with GENIAC starting in the late 2000's that gave her hope and a purpose again.

Plus that would make her personification even more confusing. Read the article on OS2200, but can't come up with any ideas for an OS2200-tan. x__x
--------

Typing up the next part of the story, talking about Xenix's death. In it, Plan 9 visits the Windows household to announce to the leaders, 3.1 and NT that Xenix died on the frontlines, but shocked by their near lack of reaction, as 3.1 had forgotten about her (and is only confused), and NT never knew of her.

NT even thinks that Plan 9 is mistaken, saying that the Unices had never interacted with the Windows family... since that's what she's been told by the family staff pulling the strings.

NejinOniwa

Too hurried to read through this atm, but I'll get it done soon enough. Nice to see some life in this thread!
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

stewartsage

Seconding Nej's post, I'll come back when I don't have so much catching up to do.  It does look good though!

Gussy Keniji

This is a short story involving Horror-kun and Viru-tan. It's...really nothing special or interesting. This is actually, quite old, at least several years old in fact so my writing back then is not as good as it is now (or was there even a change?)

In anycase, read it if you want to and tell me what you think. I honestly, should expand more on the Malware-tans sometime, but...yeah, I'm always somewhere else doing other junk, aren't I?

----

The pale face of a vampire gazed out from the balcony of his castle, his long cape bellowing in the nocturnal wind as he held his wine glass to the sky, almost proposing a toast to the moon itself. "Ahh...such a wonderous night, the full moon illuminating the dark sky, and the children of the night...their songs echoing out in a haunting melody, such alluring music they make..." This vampire was known as Horror-kun, and for good reason. Horror was a virus-kun whom no one knows much about and yet they knew how frightening he can really be, no one isolated him here like the others...he chose to live here...and has done so for as long as many could remember, his ominous manor overlooking the Windows House like a crouched beast awaiting it's unsuspecting prey to drop it's gaurd and fall asleep.

"So...this is where you've been hiding, Horror-kun..." came a dignified feminine voice from behind the vampire, who let loose a feral snarl upon hearing it. "...You of all people should know how I feel about 'guests' intruding on my land...Viru-tan." the reclusive vampire growled under his breathe. "Calm down, I know how you are with your castle, so I won't be long." Viru-tan chuckled as she joined Horror's side on the balcony. Despite, Horror's frightening demeanor, Viru-tan wasn't the least bit phased by it at all, proof that she is indeed the strongest Virus-tan there is. "I'm just here to talk for a while...is that okay with you?"

Horror paused for several moments before letting out a sigh of exaspiration. "Very well...what is on your mind?"

Viru-tan nodded and proceeded with her conversation "...Do you remember, long ago, when we were just starting this community?" Viru-tan asked as she moved her bangs out from her eyes, Horror replied with a silent nod as he took a sip from his crimson wine, Viru-tan taking this as her cue to continue on. "I have to admit, it was rather difficult...turning what was essentially a prison into a peaceful community wasn't an easy task even for someone such as myself, and it was also the fact that the Windows Family was actually besting us during that time..." Horror took a glance to the viral queen wondering where she was getting at, it didn't take long for him to get his answer.

"Horror. In my many years as a ruler amoung all malware, I've seen this community flourish and grow from the prison it used to be and become a paradise to us Viruses...as this community grew I've seen some very humorous plights our fellow Viruses have gotten themselves into, it's a very lively experience, I must say." Viru-tan hesitated for a few seconds before continuing on but, this time in a more forlorn tone. "Now, however, I've discovered there are malware even stronger than me. I don't know what their intentions are but they simply roam about and do as they please, although I am certain they can distinguish us as fellow malware even with having such immense reserves of power...but, apart of me realizes that these new malware may not recognize us as friends at all..."

"Ah, say no more. You are worried that, if these 'Botnet' do infact attempt to assimilate us, you fear that your power will not be enough to stop them..." Viru-tan doesn't respond but, Horror knows this is what's on the virus queen's mind. Her tone and words to him were more than enough evidence. "I may not enjoy the concept of living with others in a tightly knit community like my brethren do, but I do know that you yourself are not alone in this endeavor. Yes, I am aware that you are powerful and you feel you are the only one who can repel this potential threat if they so happen to attack, but remember you have everyone else in this 'community' of yours that will aid you...even myself."

"You...would violate your terms of hermitude to help?" Viru-tan replied in a shocked tone, more than a little astonished that someone as reclusive as the vampire standing next to her would do something as contradictive as participate in a group effort.

"I can not condone with needless destruction," Horror stated simply, gazing into the glass of wine, staring at the reflection of the luminous moon within the crimson liquid. "My castle is my only love, Viru-tan. Like any lover, I will protect my lady with as much power I can call forth from these withered hands of mine."

Well, he had his ways of offering his help, and being the one to know most of her virus underlings she would more than willingly accept it. "Thank you, Horror. You know, for someone who has always been in solitude, you certainly are a sociable virus," She gives the vampire a smile as he takes another swig of his wine, his red eyes glancing over to her, now cheer filled, face. It should come off as odd on how someone like Horror-kun could actually instill such an emotion on another person. Then again, Viru-tan has grown used to the vampire over the many years they have known each other...it's what makes Horror, well Horror. "Maybe you should come and try to live in the Viru-tan Area, I promise you won't be dissapointed~"

Horror simply sneered in response, his gaze tearing away from Viru-tan and focusing on the darkness that surrounded his castle. "I am a virus of solitude. I shall remain as such until the very end of this plane of existance."

"Hmhmhm, same answer as always...but, my offer still stands Horror-kun. There is always a spot waiting for you in my manor...alongside your younger sister." Viru-tan smiled as she walked toward the exit. "She does miss you quite alot, Horror-kun. Do think about dropping by sometime to see her...I'm sure she will be thrilled to see her beloved brother again."

Horror-kun remained silent in his response, Viru-tan taking this silence as his only answer to her words.

"Anyways, I must be off, (c)Brain-san gets quite unhappy when someone is late to her meetings..." And with that she turned to take her leave from the castle, Horror still gazing onto the night shaded landscape a small toothy grin creeping across his pale face. "It's been quite some time since she has came to me with such worry in her eyes...perhaps the advent of these Botnet will be the one thing to turn my views around..."

-------------------------

Meanwhile, after a rather uneventful ventrue back to the outside of Castle de Horror, Viru-tan reached the gate where she was greeted by her ever faithful bodygaurd, Cerberus-tan. "Mistress, how was your...talk with Horror-san?" the inumimi asked as she bowed to Viru-tan respectfully.

"The usual of course, Horror is quite the sociable virus despite having been living in solitude for so long...I just can't understand why he's so fixated on being alone..." Viru-tan replied as she looked back at the imposing castle behind her, her eyes focused on the highest point. Viru-tan sighed, and turned to the path ahead, seeing no point in staying behind here any longer. "But, I digress, it's his choice after all...If I am to call myself a queen, I must not only make choices for the people, I must also accept the choices the people make themselves."

Ceberus nodded in agreement, before taking a glance up at the dark mansion and shuddering a bit at it's ominous vibe "...I'm still impressed you went in there all alone. Even my big bro is afraid of going near this place..."

"Well, Horror-kun and I have known each other for quite some time, I suppose you could say we're used to each other..." Viru-tan replied with a smile. "Now come along Cerber-chan, we still have alot of work to get done~"

"Yes, m'lady."

"Wut..."

Bella

GUSSY-SAN!

YOU HAVE RETURNED!

YEY!

NejinOniwa

Huooo...sweeto. -w-

OH ALSO
The backstory module of the E42 story i posted way back, Vertigo, is finished. Will post tomorrow.

NejinOniwa

Bella

Attached is a sneak-peek at three OS-tan stories I'm working on. All are unfinished and subject to change... please forgive me for any spelling/grammar/plot mistakes/inconsistencies. Author's notes are included!

Featuring:

-A random narrative about Harvard Mark I-tan, the essence of computer...nity, ENIAC and life as the first of a species.

-Far From Home, pt. II. This continues from part I, just a little tale about XP Pro-tan and VMS-sama... in the future!

-The weightiest (and most finished?) piece, involving SAGE-sama, Apple ///-tan, awkward retrospections, awkward girl-on-girl interactions and a really weird island. Actually, I could probably "publish" this one on dA, but I'm too nervous to. .__.

Alright, bye bye!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Bella

A continuation of the last three stories I posted:

-Random Harvard Mark I narrative, not much new here though...

-Far From Home pt. II, with VMS-tan in the most anticlimatic Scrabble game you will EVER read about!

-SAGE-sama and Apple ///-tan board a Ship to Awkward Island! Now with 20% more awkwardness and mood whiplash!

Updated author's notes included.  

I also have some more of Isra's story done, but I'm a little shyer about posting that. ._____.

Bella

OH HAI, can we get some more posts in this thread? I feel ashamed for making so many double posts. ><

SSDD: I hope I fixed some of the prosaic problems and logical inconsistencies in the SAGE/Apple ///-tan and OpenVMS and XP-tan stories, and added a new chapter-thing to the Harvard Mark I tale. Please feel free to point out any problems peoples~

NejinOniwa

I'm aiming at getting more engrish writery work done once I'm done with my book, which should be any day now unless I suddenly decide to like, write another chapter or something (lol).

stewartsage

Just a short little horror/suspense story I've been working on.

Bella

SPOOOOOOOOKY. D:

So, um, I worked on one original story a bit last night, mostly cause I was overtired and needed to lull myself to sleep. I don't know how much sense it makes, but I'm really digging the concept.

stewartsage

Dig that craaazy concept, man.  I need to get back to late night writing.