!! Important !! Looking for someone to update Gallery

Started by Fedora-Tan, February 14, 2009, 08:25:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokey

Oh sure i didn't doubt that, besides you don't need a dual CPU MoBo to build a server... ^_^ ( Ive seen a AM386DX run as a mailserver -on linux, that stuff is like speed for PCs)
I dont tell you how to tell me what to do, so dont tell me how to do what you tell me to do... Bender the Great) :/
[Img disabled by Fedora-Tan]
Thanks Fedora-sama
Homer no function beer well without (Homer Simpson) ^_^

Dr. Mario

Exactly. But still, it's recommended that you use AMD's AM2 processor as a starting point, if you're to host a Youtube-like website. (screw Intel CPU, it's nowhere effecient enough to deal with heavy-duty sh*t like that.)

Also good ol' Pentium II (or Athlon) is good enough to deal with usual website like this one (with 2GB RAM to keep it from getting pissed off. Why not Pentium? Out-of-order operation is very important, since there are so much computers asking for huge chunk of bytes, all at once.)
;025 Now, Bowser... What can I do with you...

Smokey

Dual PIII's no good then? (because i can buy those at a great price here (ProLiant or Dell even IBM servers from â,¬75.-)) :D
I dont tell you how to tell me what to do, so dont tell me how to do what you tell me to do... Bender the Great) :/
Thanks Fedora-sama

Dr. Mario

No no no! Pentium III is still good! What I described was the minimum system requirements. It will still work as long as you're not intending for it to munch on Blu-ray Disc files and other HD video, as to host a website being similar to Youtube - if it does, it simply drown and crash (because of on-die architecture being not sophisicated enough to deal with wide words and new mathematic formula, such as found in H.264 codec.)

Smokey

Oh, those puppys won't be used for that...(they're for training purposes ^_^)
Thanks Fedora-sama

Dr. Mario

Oh, good... That's good. Pentium III Xeon is still useful for Linux server anyways. Although my server's pretty powerful - it's a 64 bit monster, have 16 GB XDR DRAM (yep, you guessed it right, the x86 CPU is pretty powerful.) And for CPU cooling, I used peltier plate and heatpipe.

Guess it won't be used to host a web, since Fedora-sama rather to have it off her machine, I may use it for rendering farm, whatever. I don't mind running this website off my machine - I knew it would be a temporary measure.

Smokey

Oh no, when i am going to build a render farm, i will probably be using SGI hardware (you know, the Indy, O2 and Indigo machines ^_^)
Those are dirt cheap here aswell... :D
Thanks Fedora-sama

Dr. Mario

Oh well, better than nothing...

And you could grab ATI Radeon HD3k video card with AGP interface - will definitely help in your rendering farm, since it have few hundred DSP cores, on-die.

Smokey

Oh, as far as i've read the graphics subsystems on the SGI workstations we're heavy duty (at least for their time)
Thanks Fedora-sama

Dr. Mario

Well, they're not high-end anymore. GeForce 6 series were the first video card to contain SGI graphic technology, on-die, due to being made on 130nm SOI process. Radeon HD 4k is more powerful with genuine SGI (yes, SGI dudes did push-start the original ATI [being eventually bought out by AMD] for commercialization), with XDR2-based speed demon Radeon HD 5k being in final beta stage.

Smokey

http://www.tyan.com.tw/product_board_detail.aspx?pid=554

Then i guess this would be a nice start for a render farm (or a bad ass gaming-PC)

Too bad that such a MoBo, with 4 quadcore opteron (at 2,5GHz), 32GB RAM and IPMI add on cost â,¬9120,- that´s without the â,¬878,- for the two ASUS EAH4870X2/HDTI videocards... plus the rest (case, PSU´s soundcard, HDD-array (16000GB at â,¬1832,-), so this is shaping up to be a very expensive Server, and i think i can top the Processing power if i were to build a  beowulf farm of dual PIIIs for less than that...

But that is one bad MoFu´er, that MoBo... ^_^
Thanks Fedora-sama

Dr. Mario

There you go!  ;001 Although it's nice for gaming PC, it's gonna be expensive, providing my gaming machine cost me four to five grands. But I will post it at my post, "If you could design a OS", because it also involve usage of my own operating system and boot firmware based on it. I will also post the screenshot of benchmark (I thought it would be awesome because it have a copy of PS3 CPU technology, only with 64-bit x86 RISC archietecture.) Although it's really new, I haven't really used it yet.

Added after 12 minutes:

And yes, it's of Xeon version but, no - it's not either Xeon, nor Opteron. And this x86 CELL, for server usage, would have larger local cache for SPE, 5.2 MB total (256KB L1, 1MB L2, and 4MB LC), compared to 256 KB LC found on original PPC CELL. The XPE [x86 PE] might have cache larger than that.

[It might be delayed, due to economy meltdown, better off holding it off until the Japs are ready.]

Red-Machine

Running two Pentium III's side-by-siden will make your server run faster than a modern quad core!?
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

Smokey

No running 50 dual-PIII's, overclocked might be faster and that setup is 50 percent cheaper...
Thanks Fedora-sama

NejinOniwa

YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS