Main Menu

old-tan?

Started by Chocofreak13, September 26, 2008, 04:06:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bella

Good job Aurora~ she's one prolific sneerer, that's for sure. xD You should post this on dA! :D

Anyhoo, here's my SAGE-tan... please fave/comment if you have a dA account:

http://bellacielo.deviantart.com/art/SAGE-tan-142929111

Aurora Borealis

Actually I was going more for an intimidated/paranoid look, but in her heyday, a sneering look may have worked well for her! :)

I like your take on SAGE-tan too- her uniform is very elegant, and more faithful to siya's concept sketch than mine was. Or we could compromise and say that yours and siya's renditions are SAGE-tan in her full military uniform, mainly for show and wouldn't be practical for combat, while my design of her wearing an aviator jacket would be more practical for combat.

stewartsage

I like'em both, what can I say.  The buns work really well with the thought that her head represents the radar systems.

Aurora Borealis

Here's a new OS-tan character I made a concept sketch of: Cray-1-tan.

For technical details, the Cray-1 is one of the most successful supercomputers and is regarded as the first true supercomputer, released in 1976, with a clock speed of 80-160 MHz. Each one sold for $5-8 million, and over 80 were sold, which is actually considered successful for such an expensive computer. For years, it was the world's fastest computer!

Each one is customizable in appearance, with different-colored panels on the sides. So for Cray-1-tan's dress panels and earrings, they can change color. I'm still not fully decided on her hair color or eye color though. Also not decided on her height, but I know she'll be very tall.

The Cray-1's design is influenced by "Star Trek", and also designed for optimal speed and efficiency, and also was used to produce the movie "Tron".
---

In Cray-1-tan's heyday, she was extremely formidable and a proud member of the Mainframe Guild, but later got outclassed by younger and more powerful members, and she was unable to catch up with them.

She might live as a wanderer, as one of the Independent OS-tans, or stays in the Guild for old time's sake, as she is very wise and able to contribute wisdom to the Guild. Still not completely decided. She is also an artist and a sci-fi fanatic. From being humbled by those younger Mainframe-tans that have surpassed her in sheer power, she has abandoned her originally megalomaniacal and belligerent attitude, and is a lot more down-to-earth. It's for her own good, really.

Red-Machine

Good design, Aurora-san.  160MHz?  That was faster than my first computer in 1996!
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

Bella

Quote from: "Aurora Borealis"I like your take on SAGE-tan too- her uniform is very elegant, and more faithful to siya's concept sketch than mine was. Or we could compromise and say that yours and siya's renditions are SAGE-tan in her full military uniform, mainly for show and wouldn't be practical for combat, while my design of her wearing an aviator jacket would be more practical for combat.

I thought the same thing; there's no law saying an os-tan can't have a few different outfits in her wardrobe. ;)

And I really like your design for Cray 1-tan! I've always liked the CRAY computer (so darn cool looking), but never had the thought to make a -tan for one.

Is she a hardware-tan, or did Crays run their own native OS too?

I wonder how tall she'd be too. (C-chan always proposed that those Mainframe-tans would be, like, uber-tall, but that rule seems to have been bent a lot).

Aurora Borealis

The Cray-1 had a few OSes. Its native OS is the Cray Operating System (COS), but it was replaced by Unix variant UNICOS in the mid-80's.

For her height, I had in mind somewhere between 180 [5'11"] and 240 cm [7'11"]. yeah, real precise there. T_T

Bella

Ah, thanks. I never heard of COS.

And why not compromise and make her 210 cm? :P

NejinOniwa

Mainframes are that big, huh .w.
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Chocofreak13

.....you guys's SAGE kicks mine in the face. eh, when it's done i'll post it anyway. xD
click to make it bigger

NejinOniwa

Posting SAGE in thread? In MY /osc/? WHY ISN'T THAT A FANCY NEW FUNCTION. >:3
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

stewartsage

QuoteI like your take on SAGE-tan too- her uniform is very elegant, and more faithful to siya's concept sketch than mine was. Or we could compromise and say that yours and siya's renditions are SAGE-tan in her full military uniform, mainly for show and wouldn't be practical for combat, while my design of her wearing an aviator jacket would be more practical for combat.

Agreed, I think there is more than enough room in her wardrobe for two uniforms.  Wouldn't want to mess up those ruffles!  The aviator jacket is a nice touch for her battle dress, you can almost see her gesturing imperiously at the plotting board with a pointer telling the operators what to do.

Quote.....you guys's SAGE kicks mine in the face. eh, when it's done i'll post it anyway. xD

Do it!  The more the merrier.  Still brainstorming plot ideas for a possible story about SAGE's wanderings.

I had to go look up Cray-1 again but I have to say I like the design.  Supercomputers and hoop skirts seem to go well together.

Aurora Borealis

I suddenly remembered something: In the OS-tan backstories, I had in mind SAGE-tan and Apple III-tan knowing each other, as a reference to the series "Lost", in which both systems were used to save the world! :)

Yeah... That'd be a good team. A paranoid and neurotic military leader teaming up with a emotionally unstable pyromaniac! :D

Chocofreak13

mooo!

[attachment deleted by admin]
click to make it bigger

stewartsage

While I'm not a fan of Lost, I think it would be an..... interesting partnership.  Incinerating seagulls in the park perhaps?  Its interesting to me that they both left mainstream service in 1983

I like her Choco, especially the lower right head and WTFBIRDS!? at top left.