Scans and wallpapers: Yoko Ritona

Started by MisterCat, April 28, 2008, 03:01:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NejinOniwa

YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

CaptBrenden

I noticed that cat tree in the back first, srsly.
"YOU IDIOT!!" -Kasen Ibara

Commisions Available - Send PM for details.

MisterCat

Captain, you need to readjust your priorities.  Seriously.

:smoke:

=^..^=

Smokey

I do too, I thought Hey a cat tree, OMFG! He has a Life sized Yoko!!! O_O
I dont tell you how to tell me what to do, so dont tell me how to do what you tell me to do... Bender the Great) :/
[Img disabled by Fedora-Tan]
Thanks Fedora-sama
Homer no function beer well without (Homer Simpson) ^_^

CaptBrenden

i dont think its life sized as much as  camera is really close to it.. camera tricks and wot not.

MisterCat

Ha, ha, ha!  Fine!  Yes, it's a photograph of a cat tree!  There's no PVC figurine in the foreground.  I must have posted that image here  by mistake, so I'll take it down.  It's supposed to be for a cat-related message board.  Sorry.

:rolleyes:

=^..^=

CaptBrenden

gawd, it was just a joke, sheesh :P I thought you had a better sence of humor Mr. Cat.

and christ almighty, I didnt relize your in portland.

MisterCat

My sense of humor temporarily left me, Captain, but it's back; and so is the photograph I'd pulled.  I'm re-learning patience, which was destroyed by my many battles at various anime-related Web sites:  the 2chan/4chan-style Yoko haters, misogynists all, began to wear me down; so I've become too sensitive, but I'm getting past that -- slowly but surely.

Click on the image for a wallpaper-sized view.

For the really-big version, click here.

Also, I made my first foray into fan-fiction territory recently.  My little story can be found at The Soldier by =MisterCat on deviantART.  So ... there!

;hi

=^..^=

CaptBrenden

humm, possibly retake the shot, removing the items along the window in the background?  you seem to be going for a back lit shot of her, but the sillowets of the back lit cat tree is pulling the eyes attention away from her.

one of these days i need to watch that show, tho I have a hard time beliving that any gun girl could be cooler then two hands revy :p

MisterCat

Now that I think about it, Captain, I like that shot just the way it is.  If, as seems to be the case, the eye goes first to the cat tree then it makes the secondary discovery of Yoko Ritona that much more satisfying -- I should think.  Your suggestions are well taken, however.

:smoke:

As it happens, Yoko is my all-time favorite character from the world/s of artistic and literary fiction.  Everybody has their own, which is how it ought to be; and Yoko's mine.  The problem with Gainax's 2007 anime series Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann is that Yoko is treated very badly, considering she's the finest soldier in the brigade.  Misogyny and sexism are used by the lead male characters to keep her down:  she's merely a female, after all, no matter that she's saved their lives on numerous occasions and has more intelligence and savvy than any of the other characters.

This shabby treatment, brought about by executive meddling, didn't set well with either the public or the Gainax creative staff; and the two subsequent official manga series, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann and  especially Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann: Gurren Gakuen-hen, treated Yoko with considerably more respect.  Hiroyuki Imaishi's 2008 feature film Gekijōban Tengen Toppa Guren Ragan [Guren Hen] made her the star of the show, although the second feature film (yet to be released) pushes Yoko into the background again.

For me, she's the fictional epitome of an excellent warrior.  But this is lost on a lot of people, due to their inability to employ circumspection and their lack of combat-zone experience.  Gainax suffered a split, between executives who wanted Yoko to be merely a formulaic character and the creative staff which imbued her with considerable depth.  I easily perceive the latter Yoko; but then beauty is, after all, in the eye of the beholder.

;018

=^..^=

CaptBrenden

Well, they were just composition saggestions, use them at or not at your lesier

anyhow, like I said, I want to see the show or read the manga eventually.  I like the Gainax style and the shows are always enjoyable to me.  tho.. from the way you describe the show, I think I dissagree with their writting this time. Its true there is sexisum in the military often enough (and there are cirtanly enough women that give people a reason to think like that), but every marine or soldier I ever knew gave respect that was due to anyone that proved their mettal, especialy in combat. I dont think I ever knew a professional soldier or marine that would not recognize someone for saving their life due to sexisum, racisum, or otherwise.

Tho, not meaning to troll or anything, but most snipers try not to be the brightest most eye catching thing on the battle feild...

MisterCat

That's the thing, Captain.  Yoko's a consummate professional, but she suffers under incompetent commanders.  Her advice, which is always sound, is always ignored by the lead male characters -- because she's merely a female and the big-shot males resent her popularity amongst her comrades-in-arms and are jealous of her experience and knowledge.  It's a sad situation.

For example:  in the first episode of the anime series (and the parallel manga) Yoko makes a valorous solo attack upon an enemy armored vehicle and disables it -- saving the lives of the two lead male characters and many civilians.  Her thanks, from lead male character Kamina, takes the form of him ignoring her advice to vacate the area and seek safety; and he proceeds to hit on her, but when she ignores his clumsy advances he begins hurling very-personal insults at her.

Kamina, who's the self-appointed commander of this resistance brigade, subsequently forbids Yoko to operate or even be on the crew of any combat vehicle.  Why?  Only men are allowed to do that!  Yoko has ten times Kamina's experience, knowledge and skill -- and this decision of his devastates Yoko, whose only desire is to make a maximum effort to successfully prosecute the war.

There are many more instances of Yoko suffering via the incompetence of Kamina (and others later on) and as a warrior yourself I'm sure you appreciate how maddening it is to witness such blatant folly and ignorance on the part of a commander.  Regarding Yoko's clothing, I readily grant her that departure from standard procedure:  she's such a gorgeous young woman and I do quite enjoy looking at her!

;001

=^..^=

CaptBrenden

Ah well, as the story goes, but i find it an unplausable senario :p incompetent leaders, especialy in resistance movments or other less then regular army units, dont last long, if you get my meaning.  Friendly fire isnt and such.  People in combat do what they have to to survive sometimes.

anyhow like I said, im still gonna watch it. I like the extream style their shows usualy have, and as long as I dont try to hold real combat logic against it, ill be okay :P

But I still say, prior to watching it at least, Revy is the hotter gunslinger girl, and shes mostly belivable ;p

MisterCat

Captain, I don't recall saying anything about Yoko Ritona being better than some other gal in some other series.  This is a Yoko thread.  Why not start a Revy thread?

I wouldn't post comments to a Revy thread asserting somebody else is better than her in some way, so please extend that same courtesy to me in this Yoko thread.  Thank you.

;026

=^..^=

CaptBrenden

._. woah touchy. Fine fine, Ill leave you to your thread untill I've seen it and have something to say.   ;018

What ever happened to civil conversation where people discuss their differing opinions?