Main Menu

What Is Your Colour?

Started by Anahuyu, November 27, 2007, 10:10:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siya

Quote from: "NejinOniwa"...whilst darkness is silent, pure nothingness, that will never do harm to anything or anyone...
Actually, if we're talking about darkness as being the silent void, that would include a lack of heat, yes?  This would cause amazingly low temperatures that are rarely (if ever) experienced on Earth outside of a laboratory.  The lack of energy can be just as deadly as an overabundance of it.

However, in some cultures, black is viewed quite positively.  It is considered a symbol of strength, dignity, authority, prosperity, prestige and elegance.  It is even considered a symbol of life, according to Wikipedia, due to associations with dark rainclouds and nutrient-rich soil.  Black can also indicate heat (as it is a "warm" color and also is the color of soot and charcoal)

White, on the other hand, can also be a symbol of death, ghosts, mourning, horror and fear.  In some cultures, it has also be seen as lacking in social status, often indicating poverty.  White can also indicate cold (it is a "cool" color and the natural color of snow).

Myrdin

This was an unexpected result.

NejinOniwa

QuoteActually, if we're talking about darkness as being the silent void, that would include a lack of heat, yes? This would cause amazingly low temperatures that are rarely (if ever) experienced on Earth outside of a laboratory. The lack of energy can be just as deadly as an overabundance of it.

However, in some cultures, black is viewed quite positively. It is considered a symbol of strength, dignity, authority, prosperity, prestige and elegance. It is even considered a symbol of life, according to Wikipedia, due to associations with dark rainclouds and nutrient-rich soil. Black can also indicate heat (as it is a "warm" color and also is the color of soot and charcoal)

White, on the other hand, can also be a symbol of death, ghosts, mourning, horror and fear. In some cultures, it has also be seen as lacking in social status, often indicating poverty. White can also indicate cold (it is a "cool" color and the natural color of snow).
Listen to this wise man. -w-
White is a nice color too, though, but not too much of it. As much as i like snow, i like it better when it's dark outside - otherwise it blinds you MUCH. ^-^;
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Tsubashi

QuoteRather than to say it is necessary I would say it is because we have it that it IS necessary. True, without the sun we would have no major source of energy and thus would have had a hard time to start the evolution chain at all, but if it HAD happened, then we would have adapted to a life without light, and thus, if we hypothetically reached a level of sentience equal to that which we have now, would we not think of light as a foreign thing, that can hurt us?

Goodness, you sound like some fanatical quantum theorist's apprentice, or something. ^.^'
Certainly an interesting postulate: that life can exist without energy. Minus the light of the sun there is no viable source of energy for sustaining life as we know it. Sure we could spend millions of years theorizing as to possible "might-have-beens" and inexhaustible biochemical reactions with negligible activation energies but the fact is that what did happen is what shapes thoughts, opinions and symbols.  Deterministic causality: What happens before causes things in our lives, while the "could-haves" don't. Of course, all of this is just lead in to the ultimate point of the whole argument: There is no definable objective "Good" and "Evil." As such, each person judges everything they encounter against their own personal definition. As I pointed out before based on our reality, Life is held to be good, and thus things preserving Life are seen as good.

QuoteHowever, in some cultures, black is viewed quite positively.
White, on the other hand, can also be a symbol of death, ghosts, mourning, horror and fear.

Quite right, though you'll notice I haven't associated negative connotations to colors at all. I am not trying to place one over the other. in truth, my response was written rather hurriedly in between lunch for amusement. I simply wanted to point out that, much to my regret, nearly everything, including science can be pervaded by the human ethos.

QuoteThe lack of energy can be just as deadly as an overabundance of it.

Well said, Well said indeed. Moderation in all things, ne? ^-^

QuoteAs much as i like snow, i like it better when it's dark outside - otherwise it blinds you MUCH. ^-^;

'tis true. 22:00-6:00 = Best hours in most places ^.^

Added after 2 minutes:

Funny how my silly rebuttal drew more text than I've seen from Nejin-san in a while (outside of Topicless and Forum Games ^__^)
-Tsu

Gummster

This thread is now about physics. I feel bad for starting this argument.
But before Captain sees this I recommend stopping...

Again sorry for starting this.

NejinOniwa

Quote from: "Tsubashi"
'tis true. 22:00-6:00 = Best hours in most places ^.^

Funny how my silly rebuttal drew more text than I've seen from Nejin-san in a while (outside of Topicless and Forum Games ^__^)

Well, the light/dark argument has been on my mind for a while, so, you have it ^^

And also, I live in luxury on the times, since right now, "best hours" are extended as far as ~15:00 - 10:00...RAWR >w<

Tsubashi

No, Gummster-san. It's not your fault. If we are going to assign fault to anyone, it would be me. I'm an admin, so I should have been more responsible and skipped my previous post. Gomen nasai. I say we follow Gummster-san's advise and return the thread to it's proper use, ne? ^-^'
-Tsu

NejinOniwa

Yar, yup. But it's an interesting discussion, lol -w-

How are the other colours, then? Unfair for b/w to get all the attention...

Myrdin

I think the whole colour scheme in Magic is based on peculiar generalities to promote as logical a gameplay as possible. However, the very long run time of the CCG series has blurred the original colour specialties this test is based on. Either way, it is not something that can be applied to the common real-world perceptions of each colour.
Still, black/darkness is most often perceived as the evil colour. That is beyond argument.

NejinOniwa

QuoteStill, black/darkness is most often perceived as the evil colour. That is beyond argument.
NOTHING is beyond argument. I've read philosophy, I know.

Myrdin

Ugh, philosophers. I guess I have to re-phrase that.
It would be futile to argue otherwise due to the overwhelming amount of evidence showing that black is most commonly perceived as the more evil colour.

Tsubashi

Um... guys...?
*Points to Topic*
Please don't make Captain-san's job any harder. Arigatou ^-^
-Tsu

NejinOniwa

QuoteUm... guys...?
*Points to Topic*
Please don't make Captain-san's job any harder. Arigatou ^-^
Haai~

Smokey

I dont tell you how to tell me what to do, so dont tell me how to do what you tell me to do... Bender the Great) :/
[Img disabled by Fedora-Tan]
Thanks Fedora-sama
Homer no function beer well without (Homer Simpson) ^_^