OS-tan theories and disscusion

Started by Bella, September 05, 2007, 06:34:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C-Chan

3.1-sama cosplaying as Windows 95 OSR 2.5-sama could turn me into a convert.  ^___^

[whispering] (Lying... of course I would never betray the Goddess OSR 2.5-sama.  ^.^)

Since "Open Source" is something of a dirty word in Micro$oft (nowadays they like to throw around "Mixed Source" a lot), it's likely not looked at too kindly by Management.  But 3.1-sama likely wouldn't mind, as Open Source clothing is the only thing left for her that she can get in stores or markets.  -v-

All the fancy shops and boutiques that once treated her as a Queen now open the doors solely to her MUCH younger sisters.  -.-'

Aurora Borealis

I originally intended to draw 3.1-tan cosplaying as just one of the Windows 95 sisters, but I drew this zerOSanity page so she could cosplay as all three of them!

Bella

QuoteAnd with your drawing slump (and well, mine too), yeah... better just give him more appointments than a home-call doctor. ^^;
Plus it would make the character a lot more interesting and lend him a much more....ancient and learned air...

QuoteFufufu... admittedly, while I never wanted NOT to research old systems, I was always afraid that I wouldn't be able to call Unix-sama the Queen Mother of all OSes for much longer. But thanks in huge part to your own interpretation of OS-tan Lore of Yore, UNIX-sama's place in the world is actually more interesting. If anything, it makes the evolution from "young pup" to "Queen Mother" more of a curse to her, an everlasting reminder that all good things do come to an end and that immortality is always accompanied by the ever-present threat of loneliness.

As for that Queen Mother title, it really could go either way depending on your outlook. Multics-sama may have (unintentionally) created all the conditions needed to bring about a new age of OS-tans, but it was Unix-sama who took advantage of this. Unix-sama may be the "Mother of all OSes", but that never would have been possible-- nor would she have even been born-- without Multics-sama being there first.

I could go on, but it makes my head hurt thinking of the inextricable mess that is the history of Unix/Multics  ;026

QuoteTake solace in the thought that I eat sentimental orations for breakfast. But it was very beautifully put, btw. ^^

Oh, I love Sentimental Orations. They're especially good with extra Sap on top!

QuoteWhen browsing through computer history articles, I found inspiration for a new conjecture to add to the list: BeOS-tan's personality, backstory and why she failed against the competition in the 90's

technical info from here: http://lowendmac.com/myturn/02/0403.html (and somewhat contrary to Low End Mac's name, the site specializes in Macs but there is a lot of interest in other OSes, particuarly BeOS!)

BeOS had superior abilities to the competition but was not properly marketed, attempted partnerships not founded until it was too late. Trying to be proprietary like the Mac (only runs on company-made hardware) failed because a market wasn't created for it. Be had poor planning and poor understanding of the market: Appealing only to hardcore geeks (hardly profitable because it is a small niche), not coming in the form of a server (was a personal computer operating system in a time where server OSes were on the rise), and nearly lacked internet connectivity. Apple at first tried to make Mac OSX based off of BeOS but was much too difficult.

The later Classic Mac-tans, Windows-tans and NeXTSTEP-tan are commonly blamed by others to be BeOS-tan's demise, however BeOS-tan actually brought her demise on herself. Her skills and efficiency are top-notch, she is a genius with excellent potential but failed because she did not show off her abilities to the general public.

So I think that BeOS-tan is very quiet, overly modest and seeks isolation from most others and because of her isolation, she was largely uninformed about the competition and underestimated it. She would not like working in groups and much prefers working with one person at a time and her favorite kind of people are the 'geeky' type. (I think she'd be friends with 4K-tan, BBSpot-tan, Slashdot-tan, QNX-tan and IMSAI 8080-tan. And maybe TRON-sama.)

It has also been speculated that she does not see her daughters [Haiku-tan and ZETA-tan] very much or at all.

Hmmm, I remember once reading OS X was supposed to be based off of BeOS, and conjecturing BeOS and NeXTSTEP-tan would have been mortal enemies at one point, but I never got around to thinking up a backstory about these facts. This all sounds about right to me!

QuoteFufufu. Being hungry, now you just inspired me to seek something preferrably-laden in olive oil and assorted cheeses. Mmmm... Mediterranean munchies... ^.^

How ironic! Just yesterday I went to a delightful little Greek cafe. ^^

QuoteDo I even need to go over the clothing? Has not Bella-hime proved time and time again that she's the Goddess of OS-tan Fashion around here? ^^

Aw, screw it, I have no self-control. Let me just swoon, dammit! ^___________^

*SWOONS*

*revives* Like it, love it, worship it,.... reminds me of Sakura's dress from Tsubasa Chronicles, only on steroids and trust me that's a good thing. ^.^

I see it as a merge of CTSS-sama's pre-Victorian sensitivies and Multics-sama's love of accessories and decorations, and yes with a gorgeous splash of the exotic.

Never really thought of belly dancing being my thing, but she might change my mind. ^.^
(or might've,... I forget, is BTSS-sama around?)

Curly hair will be a challenge, though, but so was Multics-sama's IMPOSSIBLY-intricate dress, and yet you pulled it off. ^
^

Actually, curly hair isn't that tough. Ya gotta think the freehand tool. As for BTSS-sama's status, sadly, I think she had a fairly short lifespan. I know they only used it at Berkeley from 1964 to 67, I don't know about other installations. -___-
QuoteConsidering I actually draw child-type characters regularly (enough to turn the Binteji Renmei into a borderline preschool), it surprises me that I never considered UUU-chan to be one. It actually makes sense given the young, prototypical nature of the system -- plus the fact that children, especially in Anime/Japanese movies, are often depicted as being particularly attuned to ESP and special powers. ^^

It even makes her role more interesting -- on the field everyone assumes she's an adult due to her large scary-looking outer armor, the awesome power of her attacks, and the eternally emotionless and speechless face, which victims just assume is some form of lone-wolf arrogance.

Those closest to her, however, get the privilege of seeing what's behind the armor: a young, vulnerable, emotionally-handicapped girl who nevertheless exhibits great curiosity and a reverence for all things that people take for granted. She would bend down and gape in interest at the sight of an aphid sucking dew off a leaf, or of concrete turning from a slushy substance into something as hard as stone.

If you really want to get sappy (or soapy?), she might actually be able to compile memories and emotions through this and over time grow more and more to be like a regular girl. But due to her incompleteness, all those memories and emotions are wiped out every time she uses her power, and thus she'd have to start from scratch completely unaware of her previous "lucidity".

Though this was an acceptable sacrifice in the early days, it wouldn't be long before friction would exist between members who have grown fond
enough of UUU-chan to protect her from being used in this manner.....

The thought that everything she learns would be lost every time she uses her power is especially sad, but I think this would perfectly fit Unun...Unun...UUU-chan. :..(

Quote...and those, like GECOS-sama, who can't really consider harm done to this "barely-sentient being" as a "sacrifice". I doubt the list of such members would be very long, but it might include a few unexpected surprises. @__@

Hmmm, it's time to play...

CIOST Members Who Think UUU-chan is the Ultimate Living Weapon!

-GECOS-san...check!
-FreeVMS and Ozone-chan...no way, they would sympathize with her...
-eCOS-tan...she could go either way...
-VxWorks-tan...I don't think she hangs around enough to get involved in this kind of stuff...
-VMS-sama...no, she couldn't...no...yeah...maybe she would...probably... O__O;

QuoteI don't recall at the moment if I suggested ZETA-tan be a CIOST member or not, but even if she were it would still make sense that her mother rarely ever sees her. Especially if BeOS-chan is overly modest, it would not be unlike her to wallow in shame, to afraid/ashamed to face her daughters, and preferring to hide in the comforting presence of fellow geeks.

Funny how the demise mirrors Commodore's failure to properly market Amiga-san. ^^

However, having recently been given the opportunity to witness how horribly neglected the latest AsusOS is and how botched Dell's deployment of Ubuntu in the Inspiron Mini 9 was, I can say that poor marketing and planning is still quite pandemic.

Or rather, I think it's intentional -- although perhaps they may not realize it. In an attempt to lock-in a system that's inherently open, they just end up botching the whole thing -- but that's better for them profit-wise. Because by offering an inferior product like this, especially netbooks which threaten their margins, they either chide people into getting the XP models, or they make them eager to purchase the newer [hopefully better, in the consumer's mind] models.

It's very rare these days for a company to create a true exceptional and flawless product -- that's because it may very well be more profitable to create something inherently flawed.

True that-- this is why I don't trust anything sold by a big corporation anymore. T___T

QuoteI was browsing the net and I found out about Calmira, which is an open-source 16 bit shell that brings 3.1's interface up to date with that of the 'modern' windows. I think it's pretty neat. Ok, maybe a bit useless, but still neat. It'd be interesting to see the implications of such a project in the OS-tan universe. :P

Hmmm, interesting find, Nuker!

QuoteI originally intended to draw 3.1-tan cosplaying as just one of the Windows 95 sisters, but I drew this zerOSanity page so she could cosplay as all three of them

Haha! 3.1-tan cosplaying her sisters' is golden! And I've always thought NT-sama would enjoy cosplaying 3.1-tan ^^

Aurora Borealis

QuoteFufufu... admittedly, while I never wanted NOT to research old systems, I was always afraid that I wouldn't be able to call Unix-sama the Queen Mother of all OSes for much longer. But thanks in huge part to your own interpretation of OS-tan Lore of Yore, UNIX-sama's place in the world is actually more interesting. If anything, it makes the evolution from "young pup" to "Queen Mother" more of a curse to her, an everlasting reminder that all good things do come to an end and that immortality is always accompanied by the ever-present threat of loneliness.
Until I first read about Multics, I didn't think there was any OS older than Unix!

Now I know that the oldest (known) OS dates back to 1955!

As for that Queen Mother title, it really could go either way depending on your outlook. Multics-sama may have (unintentionally) created all the conditions needed to bring about a new age of OS-tans, but it was Unix-sama who took advantage of this. Unix-sama may be the "Mother of all OSes", but that never would have been possible-- nor would she have even been born-- without Multics-sama being there first.

I could go on, but it makes my head hurt thinking of the inextricable mess that is the history of Unix/Multics  ;026
Interesting! I never looked it at like that! Yeah... Deciding whether Multics-sama or Unix-sama as "Queen Mother" is tricky!

Hmmm, I remember once reading OS X was supposed to be based off of BeOS, and conjecturing BeOS and NeXTSTEP-tan would have been mortal enemies at one point, but I never got around to thinking up a backstory about these facts. This all sounds about right to me!
In the 90's, BeOS-tan and NeXTSTEP-tan were mortal enemies but over time and due to BeOS-tan's lack of self-confidence, she feels it is for the best that she ended up losing -_-

Actually, curly hair isn't that tough. Ya gotta think the freehand tool. As for BTSS-sama's status, sadly, I think she had a fairly short lifespan. I know they only used it at Berkeley from 1964 to 67, I don't know about other installations. -___-
How sad! Of all the OS-tans, she had one of the shortest lifespans... Along with TSS/360-san, Apple I-sama and SpringOS-tan :(

It even makes her role more interesting -- on the field everyone assumes she's an adult due to her large scary-looking outer armor, the awesome power of her attacks, and the eternally emotionless and speechless face, which victims just assume is some form of lone-wolf arrogance.

Those closest to her, however, get the privilege of seeing what's behind the armor: a young, vulnerable, emotionally-handicapped girl who nevertheless exhibits great curiosity and a reverence for all things that people take for granted. She would bend down and gape in interest at the sight of an aphid sucking dew off a leaf, or of concrete turning from a slushy substance into something as hard as stone.
Awwww! ^_^

If you really want to get sappy (or soapy?), she might actually be able to compile memories and emotions through this and over time grow more and more to be like a regular girl. But due to her incompleteness, all those memories and emotions are wiped out every time she uses her power, and thus she'd have to start from scratch completely unaware of her previous "lucidity".
Awww.... :( That's awful that she has to re-learn everything and regain all the friendships and memories she lost each time she uses her powers. Of course, someone like GECOS-san could exploit that to turn UUU-chan into a killing machine.

-GECOS-san...check!
-VxWorks-tan...I don't think she hangs around enough to get involved in this kind of stuff...
I'll add some:

-MenuetOS-san: No way! She helps out UUU-chan a lot, and gets especially devastated when UUU-chan loses all her memory!

-IMSAI 8080-tan: Probably not. Although she is somewhat of a megalomaniac and yearns for the old days when she was a military superpower, she is also unselfish.

-NeXTSTEP-san: No, but she certainly would have thought so given the mentality she had in the 90's before allying with the Mac-tans and having a change of heart. Besides, having suffered a lot herself, she would not want to see any of her comrades suffer too.

-SkyOS-tan: Yes

-OS-9-tan: Could go either way

-TinyOS-tan: Heck yeah!

-Argante-tan: Not sure

Funny how the demise mirrors Commodore's failure to properly market Amiga-san. ^^
It doesn't seem to matter how good the quality of a product is, but rather the quality and quantity of its marketing!

Haha! 3.1-tan cosplaying her sisters' is golden! And I've always thought NT-sama would enjoy cosplaying 3.1-tan ^^
That would be cute! I suddenly also wanted to draw a quick picture of 3.1-tan dressed as 95-tan and 3.2-tan dressed as OSR 2.5-tan! XD

C-Chan

QuoteI originally intended to draw 3.1-tan cosplaying as just one of the Windows 95 sisters, but I drew this zerOSanity page so she could cosplay as all three of them!

Aurora-hime is just too amazing sometimes!  Where doth this girl get so much inspiration?  I want me some of that.  ^___^

Are you going to turn this into an actual ZS Comic Page?  This just begs for a patented Aurora Light, Color and WIN treatment.  ^__^

PANEL 1:  Wasn't really sure what this part was about at first, but seeing as how it continues in the background of Panel 2, seems like it's just an opener meant to parallel 3.1-sama's predicament.  Seems she's not the only old Windows-tan who wants to imitate the young'uns.  ^.^

PANEL 2:  Micro-chibis... and micro-chibis of OSR 2.1-sana and 2.5-sama to boot!  To quote from the goddess....

WHEEEEEEE!!!!!!  ^V^

PANEL 3:  Ah, I'm starting to think that this particular comic is structured like a kind of commercial.  ^___^
Also, it seems by now that we're pretty much in agreement that Calmira is definitely represented as clothing (or, well, you know, a kinda cosplaying mechanism).  ^___^

PANEL 4:  BOO!!!  >.<

PANEL 5:  YEAH!!!!!!!!!  Now THAT'S more like it!  I'll write letters to that anyday!!! >v<

PANEL 6:  BOO-YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!  NOW we're cookin with FIYA!!!!  ^V^

PANEL 7:  .... O__O

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  ^V^
Hacchan picked a helluva time to reverse the tables finally.  ^.^'
The final punchline is brilliant, superb, remarkable, astounding....

...and too FRAKKIN FUNNY!!!!!!  ^V^

*head explodes*

Added after 30 minutes:

*head regrows*

The thought that everything she learns would be lost every time she uses her power is especially sad, but I think this would perfectly fit Unun...Unun...UUU-chan. :..(

Also thought it was a good compromise on our mutual interpretations of her personality.  She could be emotionless or lucid and it would still make perfect sense.  ^^

Admittedly, it didn't occur to me until much afterwards that this particular memory-gets-lost-after-xyz factor is suspiciously similar to Angelica's dilemma in Gunslinger Girl.  Not that Angelica-chan has a super powerful psionic/ultrasonic/antimatter attack or wears a three meter tall armored suit, but just thought I'd give the heads up anyway.  ^^'

Hmmm, it's time to play...

-GECOS-san...check!

Fufufu... you figured it out.  ^^
VMS-sama may have grown colder over the years but she's no monster.  Nevertheless, her primary responsibility is to protect everyone in the CIOST -- and certainly if a decisive moment came where their entire existence was in jeopardy, what else can she do but do everything in her available power to save the majority?  After all, it's not just the OS-tans at risk, but also the towns and people under their direct protection.

Wouldn't mean she'd meet with the spent and catatonic UUU-chan in private afterwards, perhaps begging for forgiveness and shedding rare tears.

Awww.... That's awful that she has to re-learn everything and regain all the friendships and memories she lost each time she uses her powers. Of course, someone like GECOS-san could exploit that to turn UUU-chan into a killing machine.

Not "could", but "does".  Or at least tries to anyway.  
If left by themselves, there's no doubt she would exploit UUU-chan to the fullest.  After all UUU-chan would be just like the young UNIX-sama, with the exception that the perpetual loss of her identity would ensure she would never rebel against GECOS-sama.  

-MenuetOS-san: No way! She helps out UUU-chan a lot, and gets especially devastated when UUU-chan loses all her memory!

Exactly.  ^___^

Quote-NeXTSTEP-san: No, but she certainly would have thought so given the mentality she had in the 90's before allying with the Mac-tans and having a change of heart. Besides, having suffered a lot herself, she would not want to see any of her comrades suffer too.

This is similar to VMS-sama's line of thought.

Quote-SkyOS-tan: Yes

-OS-9-tan: Could go either way

-TinyOS-tan: Heck yeah!

Definitely on the first one.

Probably yes on the second one (not that she really cares much for all that military stuff anyway).

As for the third,... we haven't really discussed TinyOS-tan much, but yes she's not exactly the most pleasant OS-tan of all.  ^^'

Quote-Argante-tan: Not sure

Actually yes... HECK YES.
Something about UUU-chan prevents Argante-san from reading her mind, and that creeps her out.  And whenever UUU-chan increases her sentience, that would freak out Argante-san even more since she's the only OS-tan in the group who would be completely unpredictable by her.  Perhaps because of her stubborness, it never occurs to her that UUU-chan might not mean her any harm, and so is one of the few who breathe a sigh of relief whenever UUU-chan defaults back to her Zero state.

There's also BeOS-chan (now that we've been talking about her much lately), but I kinda think of her as an indecisive one.  On the one hand, she is supposed to help with strategy.  On the other hand, she may not feel worthy to deprive UUU-chan of a future, having been unable to secure one for herself.

And we're actually forgetting one very important person too:

UUU-chan herself.

When she's hardly sentient, she does as she's told.

But even when she's almost fully sentient, she's not above sacrificing her precious memories to save her friends.  If anything, she might view it as a privilege -- a way to give back to the people who took a Living Weapon and turned her into a normal girl with feelings, dreams and fond memories.

Nuker

@Aurora Borealis: Now that's just awesome. OK, so calmira is represented by cosplaying, as there isn't any real innovation aside from the interface.

Bella

QuoteAlso thought it was a good compromise on our mutual interpretations of her personality. She could be emotionless or lucid and it would still make perfect sense. ^^

Admittedly, it didn't occur to me until much afterwards that this particular memory-gets-lost-after-xyz factor is suspiciously similar to Angelica's dilemma in Gunslinger Girl. Not that Angelica-chan has a super powerful psionic/ultrasonic/antimatter attack or wears a three meter tall armored suit, but just thought I'd give the heads up anyway. ^^'

Yeah, after you mentioned it I thought of a parallel UUU-chan's situation and the effects of conditioning in Gunslinger Girl...

QuoteFufufu... you figured it out. ^^
VMS-sama may have grown colder over the years but she's no monster. Nevertheless, her primary responsibility is to protect everyone in the CIOST -- and certainly if a decisive moment came where their entire existence was in jeopardy, what else can she do but do everything in her available power to save the majority? After all, it's not just the OS-tans at risk, but also the towns and people under their direct protection.

Wouldn't mean she'd meet with the spent and catatonic UUU-chan in private afterwards, perhaps begging for forgiveness and shedding rare tears.

How sad...I wonder if UUU-chan would be able to read minds while catatonic? Or would she have no emotions and thus not be able to process anything she heard/sensed?

QuoteNot "could", but "does". Or at least tries to anyway.
If left by themselves, there's no doubt she would exploit UUU-chan to the fullest. After all UUU-chan would be just like the young UNIX-sama, with the exception that the perpetual loss of her identity would ensure she would never rebel against GECOS-sama.

Even sadder...somehow GECOS-san has become, like, the greatest anti-hero of all our OS-tans...

QuoteThis is similar to VMS-sama's line of thought.

I always thought NeXTSTEP-tan would be similar to VMS-sama, if only for their contributions to more popular OS-tans (in the former's case, OSX, in the latter, Windows NT. I don't know if NeXTSTEP-tan would be as powerful as VMS-sama, but then again, I've never really considered her powers/weapons (I've considered that she should be good with gun, to tie her in with the Doom references, but I'd like to hear something more solid proposed).

Speaking of which, what defensive powers might BeOS-tan have...?

QuoteActually yes... HECK YES.
Something about UUU-chan prevents Argante-san from reading her mind, and that creeps her out. And whenever UUU-chan increases her sentience, that would freak out Argante-san even more since she's the only OS-tan in the group who would be completely unpredictable by her. Perhaps because of her stubborness, it never occurs to her that UUU-chan might not mean her any harm, and so is one of the few who breathe a sigh of relief whenever UUU-chan defaults back to her Zero state.

You just piqued my curiosity in Argante-tan...

...must...draw...CIOST...group...pic...

QuoteThere's also BeOS-chan (now that we've been talking about her much lately), but I kinda think of her as an indecisive one. On the one hand, she is supposed to help with strategy. On the other hand, she may not feel worthy to deprive UUU-chan of a future, having been unable to secure one for herself.

That sounds right

QuoteAnd we're actually forgetting one very important person too:

Uhmmm...

Primos-tan? Yeah, I think she would spend time in the company of other Multics-likes (such as VOS-sama) and not get too wrapped up in CIOST politics...

QuoteUUU-chan herself.

When she's hardly sentient, she does as she's told.

But even when she's almost fully sentient, she's not above sacrificing her precious memories to save her friends. If anything, she might view it as a privilege -- a way to give back to the people who took a Living Weapon and turned her into a normal girl with feelings, dreams and fond memories.

Oh, okay, you mean UUU-chan. That's so brave of her...she knows what'll happen to her, yet she still faces her fate. If anything, she might look at each time she loses her memories like an fresh start, an opportunity to meet and come to love her friends all over again. :..(

QuoteUntil I first read about Multics, I didn't think there was any OS older than Unix!

Now I know that the oldest (known) OS dates back to 1955!

For awhile I thought Unix was one of the oldest OSes, but then I discovered there were much older ones. But I didn't think they'd be interesting enough to make -tans for, seeing as they lacked a lot of reference material...

...now I see that's no roadblock, 'cause if there's no reference material, you always have your imagination to help ;)

QuoteInteresting! I never looked it at like that! Yeah... Deciding whether Multics-sama or Unix-sama as "Queen Mother" is tricky!

I'd still refer Multics-sama is the Queen Mother, and Unix-sama is the Goddess...now tell me how THAT makes sense ^^'

QuoteIn the 90's, BeOS-tan and NeXTSTEP-tan were mortal enemies but over time and due to BeOS-tan's lack of self-confidence, she feels it is for the best that she ended up losing -_-

I wonder if-- as both are CIOST members-- they've made up? Or do you suppose there's still a lingering hostility between them...?

QuoteHow sad! Of all the OS-tans, she had one of the shortest lifespans... Along with TSS/360-san, Apple I-sama and SpringOS-tan

Speaking of that last one, I've been meaning to draw a SpringOS-tan...

That would be cute! I suddenly also wanted to draw a quick picture of 3.1-tan dressed as 95-tan and 3.2-tan dressed as OSR 2.5-tan! XD

Oooh, be careful with your cosplay. Let us not forget the infamous Unix/Slackware-tan cosplay incident, and corresponding Death Cult dedicated to keeping Unix-sama and Slack-chan in their outfits ...

I wonder whatever happened to the Death Cult for Cuties? (A reference for all those emo enough to get it...XD)

In Old As Dirt Character Ideas, I'm considering an idea for an ORVYL-tan and WYLBUR-tan/kun.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WYLBUR

ORVYL was an early timesharing system, and WYLBUR was its text editor. All I know about the potential characters is they they'd be practically inseparable, and obsessed with building a plane (a reference to their names).

In More Linux-tans Than You Can Shake a Stick At, recently C-Chan brought up ALT Linux. Considering this is a distro that is really taking off in Russian schools, I think we might need at ALT-tan. As was the old dilemma about Edubuntu-tan's profession...would ALT-tan be a student, or teacher?  

In Conspiracy Theories News, what do you make of this chart:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time-sharing_system_evolution

Read the legend, and scroll down to OS/2 and VMS. According to this chart, OS/2 is *gasp* strongly influenced by VMS!? And NT is *gasp* derived from OS/2! And VMS! And yeah, they show a lot of systems which we consider un-realated as being directly related, but this sorta brought back memories of my "NT-san is derived from a VMS-sama and OS/2-san DNA Soup" theory.

C-Chan

QuoteHow sad...I wonder if UUU-chan would be able to read minds while catatonic? Or would she have no emotions and thus not be able to process anything she heard/sensed?

I think the latter -- like a baby, she would receive a whole torrential flood of input, but she wouldn't know a thing as to what to do with it.  It would certainly not be any less heart-wrenching to see her, at best, just picking up the tears from the metal floor trying to figure out what they are.

QuoteEven sadder...somehow GECOS-san has become, like, the greatest anti-hero of all our OS-tans...

Oh now, this is an Anime subculture after all.  Anti-heros are surprisingly quite popular and loved.  ^___^

I always thought NeXTSTEP-tan would be similar to VMS-sama, if only for their contributions to more popular OS-tans (in the former's case, OSX, in the latter, Windows NT. I don't know if NeXTSTEP-tan would be as powerful as VMS-sama, but then again, I've never really considered her powers/weapons (I've considered that she should be good with gun, to tie her in with the Doom references, but I'd like to hear something more solid proposed).

Uh,... ever heard of the BFG-4000?  I'll give you 1,000,000,000,000 New C-chan Points if you can figure out the acronym.  ^_______^

On the other hand, a Plasma Gun is probably a lot more practical -- it was my favorite weapon, once upon a time when I played Doom.  -v-

I don't think she's anywhere near as powerful as VMS-sama since she might be more dependent on modern weapons for her power instead of sorcery (or even strategy), but she's certainly well above average compared to most modern OS-tans.  ^___^

QuoteSpeaking of which, what defensive powers might BeOS-tan have...?

Don't laugh, but I was thinking of music,... LOUD, EAR-POPPING music!

Course, it's not all hokey -- the music probably contains an ultra-high frequency signal that causes a lot of extra pain and paralyzes any would-be antagonists.  Thanks to her special headphones, though, she's not affected.  ^^

You just piqued my curiosity in Argante-tan...

...must...draw...CIOST...group...pic...

The CIOST does have an unusual mix of ironic characters, don't it?  ^___^

QuoteUhmmm...

Primos-tan? Yeah, I think she would spend time in the company of other Multics-likes (such as VOS-sama) and not get too wrapped up in CIOST politics...

Correct.  ^^
In fact, I'm not sure if she would really care much if the CIOST did disintegrate.  

Oh, okay, you mean UUU-chan. That's so brave of her...she knows what'll happen to her, yet she still faces her fate. If anything, she might look at each time she loses her memories like an fresh start, an opportunity to meet and come to love her friends all over again. :..(

That's right.  *sniff* ^^
BTW, since they do undoubtedly tell her about her previous incarnations, I'm sure UUU-chan eventually makes it a habit to leave behind journals and time capsules for her to view in the future.  That way, she'd be less afraid to give up her precious memories, since there's at least a small guarantee that she may love them all over again.

I wonder if-- as both are CIOST members-- they've made up? Or do you suppose there's still a lingering hostility between them...?

*poins at GECOS-tan*

You don't have to make up with anyone to be a CIOST member.  You just have to be useful, and be ready to solve your own problems whenever you're not.  ^___________^'

Oooh, be careful with your cosplay. Let us not forget the infamous Unix/Slackware-tan cosplay incident, and corresponding Death Cult dedicated to keeping Unix-sama and Slack-chan in their outfits ...

Doggarn, I LOVE that picture!!!  >v<

In Old As Dirt Character Ideas, I'm considering an idea for an ORVYL-tan and WYLBUR-tan/kun.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WYLBUR

ORVYL was an early timesharing system, and WYLBUR was its text editor. All I know about the potential characters is they they'd be practically inseparable, and obsessed with building a plane (a reference to their names).

OMG... T__T

.....Well.... sounds like the right kind of characters to show up in Pilot-chan's stories.
Oh, didn't you know?  Like ][-chan, she also does her fair share of tale-telling: real tales, tall tales, war tales, tail tales, the works.  And she's reasonably versed in the history of old aviation, so no doubt she might take the story of ORVYL and WYLBURE and... embellish it somewhat.  ^.^

Course, the stories are hardly PG-13 -- probably why she only gets a fraction of the attendance that ][-chan draws.  ^.^

In More Linux-tans Than You Can Shake a Stick At, recently C-Chan brought up ALT Linux. Considering this is a distro that is really taking off in Russian schools, I think we might need at ALT-tan. As was the old dilemma about Edubuntu-tan's profession...would ALT-tan be a student, or teacher?

That a trick question too?  ^.^
Since it was a teacher that started the FOSS revolution in Russia, there's no doubt in my mind that ALT Linux-sama is also a teacher.  She's kind of like the OLPC-tan of Russia, only older and more mature.  ^__^

In Conspiracy Theories News, what do you make of this chart:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time-sharing_system_evolution

Read the legend, and scroll down to OS/2 and VMS. According to this chart, OS/2 is *gasp* strongly influenced by VMS!? And NT is *gasp* derived from OS/2! And VMS! And yeah, they show a lot of systems which we consider un-realated as being directly related, but this sorta brought back memories of my "NT-san is derived from a VMS-sama and OS/2-san DNA Soup" theory.

Well it was actually this very list that made me think that too.  But since it proved just TOO disturbing, I just shelved the URL away and burned my eyeballs.

Great, now I have to do that all over again. Thank you so much, Bella-hime.  >v<

*fetches the gasoline*

Nuker

QuoteUh,... ever heard of the BFG-4000? I'll give you 1,000,000,000,000 New C-chan Points if you can figure out the acronym. ^_______^

Big Freakin' Gun (Or sometimes big friggin' gun), from DOOM, right? ^^

BTW, if you want I can link you a chart with the history of all the UNIX related systems. It's HUGE.

C-Chan

QuoteBig Freakin' Gun (Or sometimes big friggin' gun), from DOOM, right? ^^

Correct-o-mondo.  ^__^
Here's your cash prize... -v-

*offers wagon wheel full of NCPs*

The exchange rate in Euro is currently 10,000,000,000,000 NCPs for every one Euro.  ^.^

QuoteBTW, if you want I can link you a chart with the history of all the UNIX related systems. It's HUGE.

I think I know which one you're referring to.  Still, I'd love to see what you've got.  `v'

If you display the one I'm thinking about, I'll give you a cookie.

If you display something new and exciting, I'll give you a bigger cookie.

Nuker

This one. It was probably the one you were thinking about.

C-Chan

Yes and no.  Yes that's the actual Unix family tree source I knew from earlier in my studies.  However, it's an update version of the one I knew from before -- it even contains reference to the latest stable Linux kernel version and the iPhoneOS.  

Congratulations, Microwave-san!  You've earned a mega cookie now!  ^v^

Hope this is big enough:

Bella

QuoteI think the latter -- like a baby, she would receive a whole torrential flood of input, but she wouldn't know a thing as to what to do with it.

That's what I assumed...

QuoteIt would certainly not be any less heart-wrenching to see her, at best, just picking up the tears from the metal floor trying to figure out what they are.

Poor UUU-chan :..(

QuoteOh now, this is an Anime subculture after all. Anti-heros are surprisingly quite popular and loved. ^___^

Yeah, there's nothing like a good anti-hero! (<oxymoron)

QuoteUh,... ever heard of the BFG-4000? I'll give you 1,000,000,000,000 New C-chan Points if you can figure out the acronym. ^_______^

On the other hand, a Plasma Gun is probably a lot more practical -- it was my favorite weapon, once upon a time when I played Doom. -v-

I don't think she's anywhere near as powerful as VMS-sama since she might be more dependent on modern weapons for her power instead of sorcery (or even strategy), but she's certainly well above average compared to most modern OS-tans. ^___^

Thanks to Google I now know what a BFG is (that, and Nuker-san's post) ^^

But yeah, a plasma gun would probably be a good weapon for her.

QuoteDon't laugh, but I was thinking of music,... LOUD, EAR-POPPING music!

Course, it's not all hokey -- the music probably contains an ultra-high frequency signal that causes a lot of extra pain and paralyzes any would-be antagonists. Thanks to her special headphones, though, she's not affected. ^^

I've been watching a new TV series called Fringe (think a mix of The Twilight Zone and The X-Files), and one of the episodes actually explored high-frequency sound weapons. So I can buy it.

Actually, Fringe has a lot of characters with odd powers. Last week there was a woman could generate radiation, and the week before a guy who had an uncontrollable ability to manipulate and generate electromagnetism. Kinda OT, but it's a good place to get ideas for odd powers for OS-tans XD  

QuoteThat's right. *sniff* ^^
BTW, since they do undoubtedly tell her about her previous incarnations, I'm sure UUU-chan eventually makes it a habit to leave behind journals and time capsules for her to view in the future. That way, she'd be less afraid to give up her precious memories, since there's at least a small guarantee that she may love them all over again.

*baaaaaawls*

How sweet...

QuoteYou don't have to make up with anyone to be a CIOST member. You just have to be useful, and be ready to solve your own problems whenever you're not. ^___________^'

Oh, yeah. That makes sense now. :P

Quote.....Well.... sounds like the right kind of characters to show up in Pilot-chan's stories.
Oh, didn't you know? Like ][-chan, she also does her fair share of tale-telling: real tales, tall tales, war tales, tail tales, the works. And she's reasonably versed in the history of old aviation, so no doubt she might take the story of ORVYL and WYLBURE and... embellish it somewhat. ^.^

Course, the stories are hardly PG-13 -- probably why she only gets a fraction of the attendance that ][-chan draws. ^.^

Dirty, foul-mouthed thoughts are bad for you, Pilot-chan T___T

Still, ORVYL and WYLBUR-tan are kinda a passing thought. After all, I still want to make a completed DTSS, BTSS, WAITS, and Tenex-tan...

QuoteThat a trick question too? ^.^
Since it was a teacher that started the FOSS revolution in Russia, there's no doubt in my mind that ALT Linux-sama is also a teacher. She's kind of like the OLPC-tan of Russia, only older and more mature. ^__^

Aw, I was hoping for a vote of student/schoolgirl (Clearly, I have been watching too much anime XD).

QuoteThis one. It was probably the one you were thinking about.

Wow, I haven't see this updated version either! Thanks for posting this!

Though, looking at it, I'm a bit disturbed by some of the names of these old Unixen...

*goes into hokey stand-up comedian mode*

What, tell me WHAT, in all of hell and creation, is a WOLLONGONG GROUP EUNICE #7? What is a Unicos? Is it like a Unicorn? What's a Mert? Mert and Eunice? Is this a Unix family tree, or a listing of residents at a Queens old folks' home?

*tschtcheta*

C-Chan

QuoteThanks to Google I now know what a BFG is (that, and Nuker-san's post) ^^

But yeah, a plasma gun would probably be a good weapon for her.

The same Google can also give you pictures of what said Plasma Gun looks like (Doom+Plasma Gun).  The classic look is probably more recognizable than any newer counterpart (I never played Doom3, so don't know if there is one).  ^.^

QuoteI've been watching a new TV series called Fringe (think a mix of The Twilight Zone and The X-Files), and one of the episodes actually explored high-frequency sound weapons. So I can buy it.

Actually, Fringe has a lot of characters with odd powers. Last week there was a woman could generate radiation, and the week before a guy who had an uncontrollable ability to manipulate and generate electromagnetism. Kinda OT, but it's a good place to get ideas for odd powers for OS-tans XD

Ah! There she goes with her cable/network tv shows.  ^_________^
Still trying to secure some copies of Lost, just so I can witness for myself the epicenter of much of Bella-hime's joy.  -v-

QuoteDirty, foul-mouthed thoughts are bad for you, Pilot-chan T___T

Still, ORVYL and WYLBUR-tan are kinda a passing thought. After all, I still want to make a completed DTSS, BTSS, WAITS, and Tenex-tan...

Focus, girl, focus!  ^o^

QuoteAw, I was hoping for a vote of student/schoolgirl (Clearly, I have been watching too much anime XD).

I have too.... And after going through DearS, Mahoromatic and Ichigo 100% non-stop, I would almost get the impression that all female teachers in Anime are raging sex fiends AND.... a little on the... bouncy... side.  -.-;

Quote*goes into hokey stand-up comedian mode*

What, tell me WHAT, in all of hell and creation, is a WOLLONGONG GROUP EUNICE #7? What is a Unicos? Is it like a Unicorn? What's a Mert? Mert and Eunice? Is this a Unix family tree, or a listing of residents at a Queens old folks' home?

*tschtcheta*

Where's my sauce pan?!  A sauce pan needs to be on her head this second!  Come on people, work the sauce pan!  ^v^

Kukuku... ^.^

Bella

QuoteThe same Google can also give you pictures of what said Plasma Gun looks like (Doom+Plasma Gun). The classic look is probably more recognizable than any newer counterpart (I never played Doom3, so don't know if there is one). ^.^

Would it be....this?

QuoteAh! There she goes with her cable/network tv shows. ^_________^
Still trying to secure some copies of Lost, just so I can witness for myself the epicenter of much of Bella-hime's joy. -v-

On the ABC site you can watch full episodes of Lost, but it's only within the US, so I dunno if it'd apply to you. The DVDs should be pretty easy to find or rent, though ^.^

And don't mind any of my TV fangirlism. I come from a family with both a Star Wars fanboy and a Star Trek/Babylon 5/Stargate/Lost fanboy, so I pale in comparison XD

QuoteI have too.... And after going through DearS, Mahoromatic and Ichigo 100% non-stop, I would almost get the impression that all female teachers in Anime are raging sex fiends AND.... a little on the... bouncy... side. -.-;

Looks like someone needs to get their mind outta the gutter TT

QuoteWhere's my sauce pan?! A sauce pan needs to be on her head this second! Come on people, work the sauce pan! ^v^

Kukuku... ^.^

WTF? Now I'M confused  ;026