OS-tan theories and disscusion

Started by Bella, September 05, 2007, 06:34:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptBrenden

Quotehttp://meisou.gonna.jp/topics/07_headcrab/headcrab_03.jpg

I should have got one of those head crabs for when I went to sakura con as one of the halflife marines.  that would have rocked (and more people would have figured out what I was)
"YOU IDIOT!!" -Kasen Ibara

Commisions Available - Send PM for details.

Techno the fox

I'd be careful with that FreeBSD C-chan.
Saseko's already tried to eat you once..I know FreeB-chan would..
XD

C-Chan

QuoteI'd be careful with that FreeBSD C-chan.
Saseko's already tried to eat you once..I know FreeB-chan would..
XD

BWAHAHA!!!!!!! Don't be--!  ^v^

*CHOMP!!!!!!!!!*

*silence*

Bella

QuoteThe majority of my previous story ideas centered around Inferno-chan, although I think I should try to focus on FreeB-chan more since she is, in almost all respects, like the UNIX counterpart of Linux-sama. Even their ages are similar. ^___^

Interesting...

Though Linux-sama seems to have a helluva lot more daughters and granddaughters ;)

Since early distros like SLS ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Softlanding_Linux_System ) have never been depicted, and, honestly, I've never really thought of doing one or known of anyone who has. So do you suppose that Juzo-kun's ten most popular distro-tans might be considered the original daughters of Linux-sama, and then the distros based off of them considered their children (IE, Xubuntu-chan would be Ubuntu-san's daughter). Also, a good way to include a distro like SLS into Linux-sama's backstory could be to say SLS-chan is a young Slackware-san (cause SLS effectively evolved into Slackware)

Quote*eye sparkles mischievously*
Probably also means you didn't like the previous drawings.... `v'
If you see something wrong, don't be afraid to tell me. With all your wonderful contributions, open-mindedness and peacemaking, you've more than earned the right to be merciless with me. ^____^

Oh, come on now. It's a fine-tuning process ;)

I made a few changes to the design, but since Inkscape isn't installed on the computer I commandeered until K8 gets back from the shop, I can't post her : (

QuoteWell,... I kinda picture the Daemon-chas as small (1 foot tall, maybe -- basically gnome-sized imps with pitchforks), and hence quite tasty-looking to someone of FreeB-chan's disposition. ^^'

Hah! I can just imagine a picture of FreeBSD-san, after having a "snack" looking quite innocent...except for the miniature pitchfork she's holding. XD

QuoteMaybe! ^v^
But bear in mind that XP-sama can still best FreeB-chan as far as gross volume of food. After all, FreeB's memory requirements are much smaller than XP/Vista -- so while XP-tan needs to eat breakfast, brunch, lunch, linner, dinner and dreakfast just to avoid going hungry, FreeB-chan could theoretically survive on a bowl of rice today.

On the other hand, FreeB-chan could digest MANY more things than XP-tan. ^__^
Carbon steel? Yeah, it's good to have your fiber in the morning. ^___^

Heehee...that's why I keep my XP's on a diet!

QuoteFrom Daemon-chans seeking refuge from their matron, to cute captured Tuxes dressed up as Prinnies (sometimes tossed about to see if they explode), to highly destructive Space Bunnies.

Tux!

*real dramatically*

*NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!*

QuoteHeadcrabs, btw, are cute little aliens from the Half Life games that make squeaky noises, and,... oh yeah, latch onto people's heads and turn them into zombies. ^^;

Oh...

I was kinda thinking like lice creatures (ewwwwe!)

I dunno if this is better or worse O__o

QuoteSpeaking of pets, these are all still separate still from Inferno-chan's own dizzying array of "Inanimates". Unlike her mother, she doesn't have necromancy skills -- but she can bring inanimate and inert objects to life, and often does so for the wierdest natural phenomenon imaginable. T___T;

O___o

Interesting bunch :D

QuoteDefinitely! Compared to the sob stories I've given you thus far, Userspace stuff is definitely fun! ^___^

Awwww...I love a good bucket of sap! But yes, I love a good dose of comedy as well!

I hate to change topics, but can anyone give me an idea as to what these pix mean?

This pic calls Mac-tan "Public Beta"...could this end the age-old Classic or OS X Mac-tan debate?

And this one shows the two versions of Leopard-san. Perhaps this is a bit of coincidental support for our theory of having several Leopard-tans as being one character, at different times ;)

C-Chan

QuoteInteresting...

Though Linux-sama seems to have a helluva lot more daughters and granddaughters

Yep,... ironically, FreeBSD-tan claims to not be very good with kids (although she's a hit with Inferno-chan).  The RL explanation is that GNU/Linux is likely a lot easier to work with/develop for than the free BSDs.  This can translate into the OS-tan world as having different outlooks on life -- different aspirations for the future and plans to get there.

One could also say that FreeB-chan,... like Plan 9... harbors a secret trauma of the Unix Wars, and simply doesn't want to see a repeat of that happen to her own would-be daughters and granddaughters.

QuoteSince early distros like SLS ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Softlanding_Linux_System ) have never been depicted, and, honestly, I've never really thought of doing one or known of anyone who has. So do you suppose that Juzo-kun's ten most popular distro-tans might be considered the original daughters of Linux-sama, and then the distros based off of them considered their children (IE, Xubuntu-chan would be Ubuntu-san's daughter). Also, a good way to include a distro like SLS into Linux-sama's backstory could be to say SLS-chan is a young Slackware-san (cause SLS effectively evolved into Slackware)

I agree that SLS could be Slackware-tan, in much the same way that I want SunOS to simply be Solaris as a child (saves on time, especially since the two "different' systems are still fundamentally the same thing).

However, I should warn against creating too many mother-daughter relationships for us to handle, and try to stick to the original "sister cluster" theme so common in the OS-tan world.  Regardless, Xubuntu, Kubuntu and Edubuntu are simply official repackagings of Ubuntu, and so are technically sisters (Ubuntu just happens to be the eldest).  Full blown forks, however, could possibly pass for mother-daughter splits.  PCLOS-sama, for example, is a true fork of Mandriva-sama, and so could pass for her daughter.  SAM-chan, on the other hand, is a sister through and through, and the same would apply to the other repackagings (TinyMe, Kanoshi, Granular, etc).  ^__^

QuoteOh, come on now. It's a fine-tuning process

I made a few changes to the design, but since Inkscape isn't installed on the computer I commandeered until K8 gets back from the shop, I can't post her : (

*C-chan feels spirit cracked upon and fried like an egg on a skillet*  X___X

QuoteHah! I can just imagine a picture of FreeBSD-san, after having a "snack" looking quite innocent...except for the miniature pitchfork she's holding. XD

*snaps hoof in approval*

You got it!  ^__~

QuoteHeehee...that's why I keep my XP's on a diet!

Awwww... thought you'd have a thing or two to say about my two invented mealtimes: linner, dreakfast.  I think there's some potential in marketing them as legitimate mealtimes (and make a killing if we invest now in food sectors... fufufu, yeah right).  ^__^'

QuoteTux!

*real dramatically*

*NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!*

Ahhhh, no worries, they're a'ight....  ^__^

...For the most part.  ^.^;

QuoteOh...

I was kinda thinking like lice creatures (ewwwwe!)

I dunno if this is better or worse O__o

Nah,... head crabs are like giant lice that leap up and suck your brains,... so,...... like,....... yeah, much worse.  ^^;
Don't ask how Plan 9-tan can handle them so carefree like -- let's just say she has a way with undead and undead-inducing animals.  ^___^;

QuoteO___o

Interesting bunch

Ah yeah!  Everyone in the Userspace Gang is a little looney in their special way.  ^^'
I know I still owe you a right-up, but the only ones who could PASS for normal are NetBSD-tan and Plan B-tan,... and only if you turn a blind eye to their occasional...... bad habits.  ^^;

BTW, I know there's scarcely any time, but I'd like to draw you some uber-quick skeches of some of Inferno-chan's Inanimates... as well as Styx-san, a kind of butler figure commanded by Plan 9-tan to look after her the young Inferno-chan [with negligible success]).

QuoteI hate to change topics, but can anyone give me an idea as to what these pix mean?

Sadly, can't see the pics.  ;__;

But if they are what I think they are,...

QuoteThis pic calls Mac-tan "Public Beta"...could this end the age-old Classic or OS X Mac-tan debate?

Not really, cause they use radically different Cheetah and Pu-chan designs.  I'm biased to disregard the legitimacy of that "Public Beta" claim just on those grounds alone.  T___T

My poor Pu-chan..... ;______;

QuoteAnd this one shows the two versions of Leopard-san. Perhaps this is a bit of coincidental support for our theory of having several Leopard-tans as being one character, at different times

Agreed, I think it is, and I definitely appreciate that our fellow ++ counterparts are equally conscious of their two different designs.  I definitely want to foster this approach since it can work so well with the Time Machine-equipped Leopard.  ^____^
(and besides, why not?  this is probably the most we'll ever see of Mac OSX Leopard-tans anyway.  ^^')

Bella

QuoteHowever, I should warn against creating too many mother-daughter relationships for us to handle, and try to stick to the original "sister cluster" theme so common in the OS-tan world. Regardless, Xubuntu, Kubuntu and Edubuntu are simply official repackagings of Ubuntu, and so are technically sisters (Ubuntu just happens to be the eldest). Full blown forks, however, could possibly pass for mother-daughter splits. PCLOS-sama, for example, is a true fork of Mandriva-sama, and so could pass for her daughter. SAM-chan, on the other hand, is a sister through and through, and the same would apply to the other repackagings (TinyMe, Kanoshi, Granular, etc). ^__^

That's true...

QuoteAwwww... thought you'd have a thing or two to say about my two invented mealtimes: linner, dreakfast. I think there's some potential in marketing them as legitimate mealtimes (and make a killing if we invest now in food sectors... fufufu, yeah right). ^__^'

Oops, missed those XD

*mmmmm....linner....*

QuoteNah,... head crabs are like giant lice that leap up and suck your brains,... so,...... like,....... yeah, much worse. ^^;
Don't ask how Plan 9-tan can handle them so carefree like -- let's just say she has a way with undead and undead-inducing animals. ^___^;

Again, no wonder that Unix-sama or company have ever tried to get Plan 9-tan back in good graces. XD

QuoteI know I still owe you a right-up, but the only ones who could PASS for normal are NetBSD-tan and Plan B-tan,... and only if you turn a blind eye to their occasional...... bad habits. ^^;

sounds like me and my Homeko ;)

QuoteNot really, cause they use radically different Cheetah and Pu-chan designs. I'm biased to disregard the legitimacy of that "Public Beta" claim just on those grounds alone. T___T

My poor Pu-chan..... ;______;

Oh...

QuoteAgreed, I think it is, and I definitely appreciate that our fellow ++ counterparts are equally conscious of their two different designs. I definitely want to foster this approach since it can work so well with the Time Machine-equipped Leopard. ^____^
(and besides, why not? this is probably the most we'll ever see of Mac OSX Leopard-tans anyway. ^^')

Excellent!

C-Chan

In any event, I said I'd be quickly sketching Inferno-chan's pets, and well,... it went a lot faster than I thought... ^^

Bella

O...M...G...

I'm really interested already ^_^

Although, with all those inanimates, I almost think she's going to cause a natural disaster or two ;)

C-Chan

QuoteI'm really interested already

Fufufu,... I guess it's true that pictures are worth a thousand words.  ^.^
Now at least you see the dilemma (that only Plan B-tan seems to have a problem with)....

Plan 9-sama wants to build a new empire, but instead -- due to her unending love for her daughter -- ends up fostering the growth of a veritable ZOO instead.  ^___^

Cause trust me,... that doesn't even cover the full list of critters that have passed through UserSpace -- and ignores the fact that there are a lot of certain varieties of them (e.g., there's way more than one Daemon-chan, and Inferno-chan used to make Volcano-chans by the dozen).

QuoteAlthough, with all those inanimates, I almost think she's going to cause a natural disaster or two

Oh right, should've clarified that they're all really small.  ^__^
The tallest (Tornado-chan) would be about knee-high -- so while they can unleash natural disasters, there effects would only be devastating to the likes of DSL-chan.  ^___^

On the other hand, you also wouldn't want living Volcanoes producing mini eruptions in front of rocket fuel.  ^^'

BTW, you may have guessed by now, Inferno-chan's favorite Inanimates are fire-based calamities.  This, unfortunately, complicates things with her mother, as bunnies roast quite easily.  ^___^'

Bella

QuoteOh right, should've clarified that they're all really small. ^__^
The tallest (Tornado-chan) would be about knee-high -- so while they can unleash natural disasters, there effects would only be devastating to the likes of DSL-chan. ^___^

On the other hand, you also wouldn't want living Volcanoes producing mini eruptions in front of rocket fuel. ^^'

Oh, okay!

*phew*

QuoteThis, unfortunately, complicates things with her mother, as bunnies roast quite easily. ^___^'

*starts singing a carol*

*Bunnies roasting on an open fire, jack frost nippin' at your nose...*

Techno the fox

..."Killer Space bunnies"?
I automaticly think of the Rabbids from Rayman.

Aww, Cute little Inanimates..

*Sees volcano-chan*

O.O

*Holds mouth shut*

...MUST RESIST....

Quote from: "Iggy Koopa""This is a volcano"

Quote from: "George the Volcano""I'm filling my water with Volcanicity"

Oi, Forgive me. I've spent too much time on youtube..

I see little Inferno was never short on things to play with.
Hehehe.

C-Chan

Quote*starts singing a carol*

*Bunnies roasting on an open fire, jack frost nippin' at your nose...*

I think you're getting into the spirit of the UserSpace gang.   ^__^
Watch any Anime comedy who's writers were obviously on crack for more inspiration (e.g., Dragon Half, Excel Saga, Hare+Guu)

Quote..."Killer Space bunnies"?
I automaticly think of the Rabbids from Rayman.

Those cute little bundle of fangs are a cross between the original Plan 9 mascot (Glenda the Space Bunny) and the Monty Python killer rabbit.

QuoteAww, Cute little Inanimates..

*Sees volcano-chan*

O.O

*Holds mouth shut*

...MUST RESIST....

Oi, Forgive me. I've spent too much time on youtube..

I see little Inferno was never short on things to play with.
Hehehe.

Fufufu,.. you've got the idea as well.  ^__^
My original intention was to make Inferno-chan something of a little hellraiser, not only impervious to fire and able to shoot out fire beams, but also emanate a lot of heat herself.  If you get too close to her, you risk getting burnt.  If you give her some ice cream, it will melt before it reaches her hand.  I even had a story where Inferno-chan gets stopped in a forest by 95-tan, who promptly facefaults when a curious little finger touches her sword and makes it melt in an instant.  

That's why she's something of a loner -- with the exception of some fireproof OS-tans like the BSDs, she has very few real friends (even Plan 9-tan can only tuck her in bed using a special suit).  This is not much of a problem when she's a child -- as you say, she's surrounded by tons of playthings (especially lots of fireproof ones, like the Calamity-chans) and is never bored.  But I reckon as she grows older and outgrows her own equivalent of "plush toys", she'll start to wonder why she can't play with other OS-tans her age.  '.'

Gyaaaaaaah,... but that's delving too dangerously into drama again, and I don't have the heart to put the Userspace Gang into those kinds of scenarios.  -v-

Bella

QuoteWatch any Anime comedy who's writers were obviously on crack for more inspiration (e.g., Dragon Half, Excel Saga, Hare+Guu)

LOL!

QuoteThose cute little bundle of fangs are a cross between the original Plan 9 mascot (Glenda the Space Bunny) and the Monty Python killer rabbit.

As if Glenda isn't frightening enough? ;)

*shivers*

QuoteMy original intention was to make Inferno-chan something of a little hellraiser, not only impervious to fire and able to shoot out fire beams, but also emanate a lot of heat herself. If you get too close to her, you risk getting burnt.

*breaks out into song...again..*

*She is hotblooded, check it and see, she's gotta fever of one hundred and three....hotblooded....hotblooded!!!*

Darn you for making that Foreigner song pop into my head!!! >__<

QuoteIf you give her some ice cream, it will melt before it reaches her hand. I even had a story where Inferno-chan gets stopped in a forest by 95-tan, who promptly facefaults when a curious little finger touches her sword and makes it melt in an instant.

*still humming song...*

Oh-wha?

Did I say I liked Inferno-chan? Now I love her :D

QuoteThat's why she's something of a loner -- with the exception of some fireproof OS-tans like the BSDs, she has very few real friends (even Plan 9-tan can only tuck her in bed using a special suit). This is not much of a problem when she's a child -- as you say, she's surrounded by tons of playthings (especially lots of fireproof ones, like the Calamity-chans) and is never bored. But I reckon as she grows older and outgrows her own equivalent of "plush toys", she'll start to wonder why she can't play with other OS-tans her age. '.'

Gyaaaaaaah,... but that's delving too dangerously into drama again, and I don't have the heart to put the Userspace Gang into those kinds of scenarios. -v-

Oh...my...

*starts bawling*

Drama follows you, I think...

But on the good side, I bet Inferno-chan would be able to use my laptop (which is frickin hot right now!!!)

Added after EMS brought me back to life:

OMG

O___O

I was going to post a little on some of the DEC-tans, but while on Wikipedia this caught my eye:

http://www.systella.fr/~bertrand/FreeVMS/indexGB.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FreeVMS

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FreeVMS

Dear Lord! VMS-sama has a boatload of clones @__@

(and just when I thought having "Hotblooded" stuck in my head was going to be the most frightening part of my day!)

EDITED....AGAIN...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VAXELN

Oh yeah, and another RSX/VMS relative. It's actually listed as a direct decedent of them:

( note, this is too big to post : \ Scroll down to OpenVMS in 1995)

http://www.oshistory.net/public/non-unix_os_history_0.4.0.crop-9.jpg

Techno the fox

Quote from: "C-chan"Those cute little bundle of fangs are a cross between the original Plan 9 mascot (Glenda the Space Bunny) and the Monty Python killer rabbit.

Awww, So basicly cute, Furry, little balls of destruction?

Quote from: "C-chan"Fufufu,.. you've got the idea as well. ^__^
My original intention was to make Inferno-chan something of a little hellraiser, not only impervious to fire and able to shoot out fire beams, but also emanate a lot of heat herself. If you get too close to her, you risk getting burnt. If you give her some ice cream, it will melt before it reaches her hand. I even had a story where Inferno-chan gets stopped in a forest by 95-tan, who promptly facefaults when a curious little finger touches her sword and makes it melt in an instant.

*Falls out of his chair*
BWAHAHAH!! I can actually see that happening..

*A little lightbulb appears over his head*

Hey, that means she can melt Secchan's bottle-opener as well.
Oh Inferno, where are you?
*Runs off looking for her*

Added after 40 minutes:
*Comes back with singed hair and a hand-shaped burn-mark on his left arm*

..She didn't want to..*Coughs up smoke*

Quote from: "C-chan"This is not much of a problem when she's a child -- as you say, she's surrounded by tons of playthings (especially lots of fireproof ones, like the Calamity-chans) and is never bored.

*Watches avalanche-chan melt into a rather small puddle*

Well, most of them are fireproof at least.. XD

Quote from: "C-chan"Speaking of pets, these are all still separate still from Inferno-chan's own dizzying array of "Inanimates". Unlike her mother, she doesn't have necromancy skills -- but she can bring inanimate and inert objects to life, and often does so for the wierdest natural phenomenon imaginable. T___T;

Hmm, You've perked my interest C-chan...But I'm almost afraid to ask after seeing that face you just made.

..Must resist the urge to hug space bunnies..

On, Did I mention how CUTE[/u] Dameon-chan, Netmon-chan, and Tux-prinny-chan are?

:D

C-Chan

QuoteAs if Glenda isn't frightening enough?

*shivers*

Awww... but Glenda's kinda cute for a UNIX mascot.  ^___^
Better than that weird triangle Java thingie that follows Solaris-sama around.  ^___^

I swear, the thing looks like a baby Pyramid Head.... O__o

Quote*breaks out into song...again..*

*She is hotblooded, check it and see, she's gotta fever of one hundred and three....hotblooded....hotblooded!!!*

Darn you for making that Foreigner song pop into my head!!! >__<

*musical cultural reference goes WAAAAAAAAAAAY over C-chan's head*

Okay,... you bested me,.... I'm lost..... XvX

Quote*still humming song...*

Oh-wha?

Did I say I liked Inferno-chan? Now I love her

Then my job is done.  ^__^
I can retire now!  ^v^

*starts packing bags and setting up hammock*

QuoteOh...my...

*starts bawling*

Drama follows you, I think...

I'm trying very hard to repel that though with humorous story ideas.  ^___^
I was recently tossing around an idea where a young Inferno-chan (after perhaps watching a little too much of FreeB-chan's anime) yearns to go to school, and Plan 9-tan (ever attentive to her daughters wants and needs) orders the BSD-tans to build one.  She becomes the teacher, and gets everyone in the Userspace Gang to become pretend-students to set the atmosphere.

Unfortunately, the BSD-tans end up building a mock high school instead (gee,... wonder why?), and test Plan 9-tan's patience in the classroom making less-than-subtle references to and parodies of high school anime (in other words, 90% of the market).  

FreeB-chan, for example, would make an excellent Dokuro-chan cosplayer.... ^.^

QuoteDear Lord! VMS-sama has a boatload of clones @__@

(and just when I thought having "Hotblooded" stuck in my head was going to be the most frightening part of my day!)

Funny how I chose to lump in regular VMS-tan and OpenVMS-tan into one character when I first did her character concept -- but I definitely did not know of the existence of the FreeVMS project.

If you think about it, there are a ton of of FOSS projects mirroring proprietary systems -- and yes, including OS/2.  ^^

Would make for an interesting discussion of who she'd be,... descendant or just avid admirer and/or follower?  ^__^

QuoteEDITED....AGAIN...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VAXELN

Oh yeah, and another RSX/VMS relative. It's actually listed as a direct decedent of them:

( note, this is too big to post : \ Scroll down to OpenVMS in 1995)

HOLY MOTHER LUVER!!!!  @o@
Well,... now I know where the Windows-tans get their Soap Opera family lifestyle from....   ^___^'

QuoteAwww, So basicly cute, Furry, little balls of destruction?

p-r-e-c-i-s-e-l-y!  ^__^

QuoteHey, that means she can melt Secchan's bottle-opener as well.
Oh Inferno, where are you?
*Runs off looking for her*

Careful now.....  Inferno-chan may be powerful, but is also fairly easy to distract.  ^__^
You wouldn't want for her to walk out on you, chasing after a piece of candy or other curiosity, while Secchan pulls out an auxiliary bottle opener just for you.  ^.^

Quote*Comes back with singed hair and a hand-shaped burn-mark on his left arm*

..She didn't want to..*Coughs up smoke*

Ah yes, and she does that a lot.  ^___^
Don't bother complaining to the mother, since she's worse.  ^.^'

Quote*Watches avalanche-chan melt into a rather small puddle*

Well, most of them are fireproof at least.. XD

Sou sou.... ^.^
Well not all Inanimates are meant to play with directly.  She forms them based on whatever material is lying around, so when she's in a cold climate, she makes Avalanche-chans, Geyser-chans, Iceberg-chans and Glaciar-chans.  Naturally, since they don't last long around her, she hates cold climates.  ^___^

QuoteHmm, You've perked my interest C-chan...But I'm almost afraid to ask after seeing that face you just made.

Well you know,... walking knee-high volcanoes and all scurrying about, spitting lava left and right,...

Not a cool thing to have if you're a neat freak or have a ton of stationary lying around.  ^___^'

Quote..Must resist the urge to hug space bunnies..

On, Did I mention how CUTE Dameon-chan, Netmon-chan, and Tux-prinny-chan are?

Than you.  ^__^
Yeah, I kinda like the prettified Head Crabs the most, if only because of the sweet sweet irony of it all.  ^___^

The pictue also doesn't do Styx-san much justice, but he is a bit of comic relief, if only because he's too small, too slow and too overly courteous to be of much help controlling the living firecracker that is Inferno-chan.  ^v^

That's why in many ways, FreeB-chan is the unofficial nanny and tutor of Inferno-chan, despite the fact that she doesn't always encourage good things. ^^'

(Despite what she says, eating pets is not cool, and you should never try eating a miniature volcano at home!)  ^0^

In any event, I think I'm done as far as my rounds go.  I know there's still some techie threads to respond to, but I'll take care of them some other time.....  ^___^

I am glad to be back in business, though.  ^.^