OS-tan theories and disscusion

Started by Bella, September 05, 2007, 06:34:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C-Chan

*huddles up in exile*

yeah, it might be cold and dark up north, but it's bright and sunny here.  ^^
(although for some lovely tall swedish women, I guess I could make the exodus...)

But the story has a lot to do with my old site/message board, as well as my old personification which,... for reasons of privacy... I'd rather not divulge.  Bottom line, though, is that once I get into that kind of stuff, I get into it rather obsessively, and for long stretches of time.  So not only would I run the risk again of alienating clearer-minded or peaceful folk, but I would also have to kiss my drawings, my wiki, my tutorial, my Linux "peddling", and even my potential manga goodbye.

Which reminds me,... it's been a long time since we've seen a drawing of our little pirate friend..... `v'

Bella

QuoteWoah.
Bravo! Sounds like quite the character to me.
I can see that she'd be enemies with NT-sama, but if she got aggressive with Inu-t then I'd have to step in...

Thanks! :D

Hmmmm...I dunno if she'd pick a fight with Inu-T either...Inu-T has never seemed like much of a fighter to me ;)

There is, however, this:

So I guess we can't count her out as having a few enemies...

QuoteJust like regular mind-control. *Sasser-tan's most overused ability, you'll see when I draw her.*

I want to see her! Were you planning on using the computer to draw (I forget...)

QuoteOh, that's easy,....
Just think: have you ever seen naked mannequins in [regular] storefronts? ^^'

XD That's what I told myself!

QuoteWell I just threw that out, but I'm not really sure. I wanted her to have a unique power, which is why I associate her with the Rahxephon series given so much focus on sound-based attacks.

I think it'd fit her well...

Plus it would add more variety to the CIOST...!

QuoteOh that's right, MULTICS-sama would be a perfect candidate for a CIOST member -- I hadn't thought of that! ^^
Aside from the VMS-sama I owe you for that "special occasion", the only other CIOST members I'd like to draw is eCOS-tan -- who is something akin to eComStation-tan in terms of fighting prowess, youthful energy, and devotion to "VMS-kanjou". Unfortunately, she bears a grudge against RedHat-tan that she entertains from time to time.

I thought my whole, VMS/Multics-sama "Odd Couple" idea gave it away :P

I almost misread eCOS as eCS (<eComStation) XD...

So she's no fan of Redhat-tan, eh....and loves VMS-sama!

QuoteFufu... I still recall when the internet used to be compared to the American Wild West (contrasting with the Canadian one, which was mellow by comparison).

So, if back a ways the internet was known as the US wild west, then what is it today? I mean, are we up to the free-love Hippie era (with all the open-source software) yet?

Quote*takes small taste*

Mmmmm....
Yeah, that there is some mighty tasty UNIX quirk. ^____^

I still can never make a character as chock-full-o-quirks as Plan9 and FreeBSD-chan, though O_____o

QuoteOkay okay, we can keep the hair. ^^
But don't feel conpelled to stick with glasses only.
After all,.... glasses are like soooooooo 1960's. ^____^

Humph. I likes me meganes!

QuotePerhaps your assessment is correct -- but the mainframe-tans are also something akin to "godly" telephone operators. ^^

Difficult, godly telephone operators, right :P

QuoteI would say both, depending on the OS-tan. Humanoid OS-tans would require standard telekinetic intrusion, cyborg-like OS-tans would require that kind of stick-a-usb-cable-into-the-back-of-their-necks hack that's so common in the GITS TV series,...

You'd think those people in the far future (whether it be GITS, The Matrix, etc...) would have discovered wireless networking! Hello people! It's not the 90s!

Hmmm...so the method of hacking differs on humanoid or cyborg OS-tans...

QuoteAnd dog OS-tans would require either Pavlonian cues or a big jar of peanut butter in order to properly "hack".... ^.^

I think I've hacked my pets by that reasoning...

QuoteNaturally, the more well-defended the OS-tan, the greater the risk of bodily harm to the hacker. Even thinking about hacking UNIX-sama is a surefire way to meet your maker,... slowly and painfully ^.^;

OMG O________O She'd annihilate them...

Besides Unix-sama, I suppose VMS-san would be an unwise match...If she didn't do the attacker in, they'd certainly end up as chum for her pets O__o

Quoteyeah, it might be cold and dark up north, but it's bright and sunny here. ^^
(although for some lovely tall swedish women, I guess I could make the exodus...)

You and your tall women ;)

QuoteBut the story has a lot to do with my old site/message board, as well as my old personification which,... for reasons of privacy... I'd rather not divulge. Bottom line, though, is that once I get into that kind of stuff, I get into it rather obsessively, and for long stretches of time. So not only would I run the risk again of alienating clearer-minded or peaceful folk, but I would also have to kiss my drawings, my wiki, my tutorial, my Linux "peddling", and even my potential manga goodbye.

I guess everyone has a past forum tale of woe : |

I've never gotten into RPs or fanfics....I guess I've always thought the best way to express myself is thought pictures (although I do like making up backstories)...

Bella

No rest for the weary....

I recently thought up a Win 3.1-tan and (young) NT-chan comic, about NT's and 3.1-tan's first meeting as "sisters"

NT-chan's sorta intimidated by 3.1-tan, but is fascinated by her beauty...and asks 3.1-tan to make her as pretty as her (ya know, cause NT later ran a 3.1-type GUI?), and ends with a somewhat disinterested 3.1-tan dressing NT-tan up in some of her old clothes and "prettying her up" ;)

I dunno if I'll go ahead...forgive me if I make less than perfect sense as I'm a bit punchy right now O_______________o

C-Chan

QuoteHmmmm...I dunno if she'd pick a fight with Inu-T either...Inu-T has never seemed like much of a fighter to me

There is, however, this:

So I guess we can't count her out as having a few enemies...

O___O

Is that a sword I see in her hands?  O__o

QuoteI thought my whole, VMS/Multics-sama "Odd Couple" idea gave it away :P

I almost misread eCOS as eCS (<eComStation) XD...

So she's no fan of Redhat-tan, eh....and loves VMS-sama!

Iyaaaaaah,.... well....
"love" is too strong a word,........ but I suppose she has much admiration for her, especially since VMS-sama effectively took her in (or if you want to be more dramatic about it, "saved her life" so to speak).  Not that this has any real-life equivalent -- just something I thought up to add some variety within the CIOST ranks as well (although their stories are more Grecian Tragedies than Soap Operas).

QuoteSo, if back a ways the internet was known as the US wild west, then what is it today? I mean, are we up to the free-love Hippie era (with all the open-source software) yet?

BWAHAHA!!  That sounds like you're thinking too highly of us.... ^.^'
It'd be something like the US Roaring 20's still,... and the fact that Net Regulation has been shot down doesn't mean there aren't parties interested in reviving it.  If successful, that would be very Great Depression/Dust Bowl-like.

QuoteI still can never make a character as chock-full-o-quirks as Plan9 and FreeBSD-chan, though O_____o

-v-;

*points to Slackware-tan and SCO-bouzu*

QuoteDifficult, godly telephone operators, right :P

You forgot "damn big", but correct.  ^^
If you ever have to deal with them, you're better off pulling your hair out beforehand cause it'd be a rough call.  ^^;

QuoteI think I've hacked my pets by that reasoning...

Bwahaha! Ditto on my part.  ^^'

"Hacking" is actually another term for programming, which is why "Linux Hackers" are a good thing rather than the 'army of social misfits out to destroy the Net' that the associated imagery may invoke.  So yeah, if you've trained your pets to behave a certain way to your commands, than no kidding,... them pets are hacked!!  ^V^

QuoteOMG O________O She'd annihilate them...

Besides Unix-sama, I suppose VMS-san would be an unwise match...If she didn't do the attacker in, they'd certainly end up as chum for her pets O__o

Speak of the devil.... ^^'
Regarding the "negative" hackers, that could EASILY explain why VMS-sama and her supporters are never invited to any one of their gatherings.  They probably just through in that "uncrackable" moniker just to save face....  ^^;

QuoteYou and your tall women

Yeah,... you're right,... *shakes fist passionately* I just haven't drawn enough of them.  How shameful.... ^-^

*cracks whip on self and gets back to work with renewed determination*

QuoteI've never gotten into RPs or fanfics....I guess I've always thought the best way to express myself is thought pictures (although I do like making up backstories)...

Precisely.  ^^
One never knows what will happen in the day of tomorrow -- so I'd prefer that my "fun" be productive as well so that there's no regrets.  ^___^

QuoteI dunno if I'll go ahead...forgive me if I make less than perfect sense as I'm a bit punchy right now O_______________o

Punchy?  Why not Kicky?  ;___;

Course I'll say go-for-it, since it'll be nice to see you do a manga strip using mostly vector images this time.  ^^

Techno the fox

Oooh. Inu-t with a sword. Where was this back when the Hurt-and-heal was still Os-tan based?

I proudly announce, I've started vector-ing in Inkscape. First up Fchan-tan.
I've actually started her, but it's not to the  point where I want to post anywhere. Of course soon in line are Techno/Techno-kun I actually have two designs planned for my character.

Then Sasser-tan and Pearl-tan.

Another thing, my RCA Pearl eats batteries like mad.
Really, I turned it off and put it on a shelf above my computer. A month or two later I take it down to listen to some of my MP3s and the battery is dead. It was off the whole time, and no one had used it..

Another alternative hacking methood.......
.....Well....Let's just say..."The Major VS the Os-tans"...
You all know what I mean..Fufufu.

Could using tripcode on 4chan be considered "Hacking" 4chan-tan (if there was one)

Now for a bit of humor.

My Dell Latitude C610 is virus-prone.
I've had to reformat it several times...It has Windows XP Home SP1 with the firewall up and Mcafee installed but still gets a good number of virii.

But the odd thing, when I reformat it the old windows folder in the C: drive stays in there. Taking up 2GB of space..Well as you could guess this fills up the hard drive rather fast, and out of my 31GB hard drive I currently have 7GB Left..

Anyway, yesterday it got a virus and I had to reformat same old same old.
When I start the windows reformat setup..."There is not enough room to install windows on this drive." Yes, at the time it was at 200MB left.
My jaw dropped at the sight of my precious hard drive was completely full.

So I went into C: (thankfully it still ran enough to delete a bit of old data)
And there were 10 DIFFERENT WINDOWS FOLDERS, each about 8GB!
It took a while but eventually I got most of these out. Save for two that wouldn't delete for some reason. "Cannot delete ~Click.exe make sure that you typed it correctly" whever I try to do so.

Now's the funny part, while I was reformating my mother was watching. (Because she'd been surfing on it at the time of the crash)

Me: *whilst installing windows*
I hear Mac OSX-10 and Linux are rather resistant to Viruses.

Mom: Oh cool, what are they?

Me: Other running systems, just like this..

Mom: Ohhh so there are other running systems.

Me: Yeah, but we have WINDOWS..XD *the look on my face at the time*

It was rather hard keeping a straight face during all that.

All in all, after reformating I go into C: and delete a bunch of useless old junk that doesn't even work anymore and free up 7.5 GB

Sorry if I took up the Os-tan discussion to tell my computer based stories. But I couldn't find "The Lighter side of computers" I looked, really.

Anyway, That is all. Goodbye. *Windows 95 shutdown sound plays as Techno leaves*

Tsubashi

QuoteSorry if I took up the Os-tan discussion to tell my computer based stories. But I couldn't find "The Lighter side of computers" I looked, really.

Found it ^^'

Quote*story about windoze*

So you don't do an actual reformat when you re-install? Probably why it's so "virus-prone." I think it is a good idea to do at least a 7-pass overwrite when wiping an HD. Typically the only reason for re-installation is a screwed up system, so it's usually not a good idea to keep the old system files ^.^

QuoteAnother alternative hacking methood.......

Ecchi na no wa ikenai tooimasu!!!

QuoteI proudly announce, I've started vector-ing in Inkscape.

Hooray! Way-to-be! Excellent!
I've been really impressed with that program, and I think you will be to. If you have any questions, C-Chan-senpai is and utter genius in such things, and Bella-sama is fast becoming one, so there's plenty of quality help to be found. Good luck!
-Tsu

Bella

QuoteO___O

Is that a sword I see in her hands? O__o

...Yes! The DEC tradition lives!

QuoteIyaaaaaah,.... well....
"love" is too strong a word,........ but I suppose she has much admiration for her, especially since VMS-sama effectively took her in (or if you want to be more dramatic about it, "saved her life" so to speak). Not that this has any real-life equivalent -- just something I thought up to add some variety within the CIOST ranks as well (although their stories are more Grecian Tragedies than Soap Operas).

I lie. I hate soap operas, but Grecian tragedies I can get into!  ;010
*dramatic-like*
And you know I want to be dramatic about it! So VMS-sama saved her life...?

QuoteBWAHAHA!! That sounds like you're thinking too highly of us.... ^.^'
It'd be something like the US Roaring 20's still,... and the fact that Net Regulation has been shot down doesn't mean there aren't parties interested in reviving it. If successful, that would be very Great Depression/Dust Bowl-like.

*old-timey-accent*

So gov'na, you say we's in the 20s? Pop some ragtime on the Victrola, I feel like doin' the Charleston!

Either that or go for'ah drive in the hossless carriage, and drop by tha speakeasy!

Quote-v-;

*points to Slackware-tan and SCO-bouzu*

Suuuure, Slackware-tan's a Unix-worshiping suck up and SCO-tan's a maniacal frivolous-lawsuit spewing nutcase...

But they never tried to eat a HEADCRAB!!!

QuoteBwahaha! Ditto on my part. ^^'

"Hacking" is actually another term for programming, which is why "Linux Hackers" are a good thing rather than the 'army of social misfits out to destroy the Net' that the associated imagery may invoke. So yeah, if you've trained your pets to behave a certain way to your commands, than no kidding,... them pets are hacked!! ^V^

Ummmm...let's put it this way...just as I can't program a computer, animals are difficult too :P

As for the "hacker" part, I always assumed hacking was strictly nefarious until recently...

QuoteSpeak of the devil.... ^^'
Regarding the "negative" hackers, that could EASILY explain why VMS-sama and her supporters are never invited to any one of their gatherings. They probably just through in that "uncrackable" moniker just to save face.... ^^;

Hehee...

QuoteYeah,... you're right,... *shakes fist passionately* I just haven't drawn enough of them. How shameful.... ^-^

*cracks whip on self and gets back to work with renewed determination*

Hey, I've always thought VMS-sama and her kinfolk would be quite tall (VMS-sama maybe...5 foot 7 or 8 inches?)

The Unixes, on the other hand, I thought might be a bit on the average/short side...

QuotePunchy? Why not Kicky? ;___;

Course I'll say go-for-it, since it'll be nice to see you do a manga strip using mostly vector images this time. ^^

Ah, there's a time for everything.

And I might go ahead with the comic...you see, I want to do something sweet and just a touch sappy (think, a light maple flavor)...

See, my punchiness still hasn't worn off O________o

But I'm starting to see the difficulties of this...for instance, I'm not sure how 3.1-san would treat the...slightly clingy...young NT-chan. She's always seems a bit distant, but I don't want to make her seem rude...Not to mention, is this really 3.1-tan and NT-chan's first meeting? Why would they have been separated until just right now....or whatever.

Then there's how many panels....I did a rough sketch and it looks like it's gonna be about 12 or so. I'm trying to do most of my work handdrawn (before I vectorize), cause that's where I excel...I guess the shading and stuff will be pretty simplistic and more anime-esqe than usual...

Then, the dialogue. There's a reason the comics I do don't have much, or are comedic....But I try to be game for a challenge! If I wasn't, I'd have quit long ago :P

QuoteI proudly announce, I've started vector-ing in Inkscape. First up Fchan-tan.
I've actually started her, but it's not to the point where I want to post anywhere. Of course soon in line are Techno/Techno-kun I actually have two designs planned for my character.

Cool! I think vector art has a false sense of difficulty attached to it by many, I certainly thought so. But at any rate, I think I took to it faster than I did with PS...

QuoteMy Dell Latitude C610 is virus-prone.
I've had to reformat it several times...It has Windows XP Home SP1 with the firewall up and Mcafee installed but still gets a good number of virii.

I've never had a virus problem with my XP machines....I've gotten one or two, here or there, but I have no regular problem...

C-Chan

WAAAAAAAAAAH!!!  I'm so sorry, I left you hanging!!  ^0^

*grovels and begs for forgiveness*

Sorry, have been very busy in technical concerns.  ;___;

Currently have my EeePC-chan being test run by kids, so the fact that I won't be playing with it means I can get back to some much long-overdue responses.  Plus maybe a little drawing....  ^^

*starts typing*

Added after 1 hours 42 minutes:

QuoteI proudly announce, I've started vector-ing in Inkscape. First up Fchan-tan.
I've actually started her, but it's not to the point where I want to post anywhere. Of course soon in line are Techno/Techno-kun I actually have two designs planned for my character.

Then Sasser-tan and Pearl-tan.

Awesome, d00d!!!!  ^v^
Need a hand at any time,... don't feel afraid to ask The Pig.  The Pig,... is here to serve budding vector artists.  ^____^

QuoteAnother alternative hacking methood.......

Gyaaah,... well, didn't want to ruin our PG rating, but,... yeah, that is correct.  ^^;

QuoteMy Dell Latitude C610 is virus-prone.

Probably McAfee's virii.  ^^;

QuoteAnyway, yesterday it got a virus and I had to reformat same old same old.
When I start the windows reformat setup..."There is not enough room to install windows on this drive." Yes, at the time it was at 200MB left.
My jaw dropped at the sight of my precious hard drive was completely full.

So I went into C: (thankfully it still ran enough to delete a bit of old data)
And there were 10 DIFFERENT WINDOWS FOLDERS, each about 8GB!
It took a while but eventually I got most of these out. Save for two that wouldn't delete for some reason. "Cannot delete ~Click.exe make sure that you typed it correctly" whever I try to do so.

Hmm,.. that's some very odd behavior on the part of the Windows installer. '__'
It sounds like you have an installation disk, though, so maybe next time this happens, you can just try booting off a Linux LiveCD,... wiping the hard drive clean, creating a new partition table, and reformatting to NTFS using GParted,... and then reinstall Windows on the nice new clean hard drive (and install Avast Antivirus too!).  Unfortunately, this only works with a separate disk.  I hate retailers that embed their recovery partition within the same hard drive, since it does nothing when you're entire hard drive gets fried.  ^^;

QuoteMe: *whilst installing windows*
I hear Mac OSX-10 and Linux are rather resistant to Viruses.

Mom: Oh cool, what are they?

Me: Other running systems, just like this..

Mom: Ohhh so there are other running systems.

Me: Yeah, but we have WINDOWS..XD *the look on my face at the time*

It was rather hard keeping a straight face during all that.

Well,... not sure if I'd laugh the same way, since everyone I meet who I show the EeePC to don't know what Linux is or that it's running it.  In a recent book fair I went to, I was surrounded by tons of artsy, post-modern, socially-conscious people who,... strangely enough,... were complaining about how they were stuck using Windows PCs because Macs were too expensive.  None of them new about Linux or GNU software, and seemed incredulous of my fantastical claims until I showed them the EeePC.  Next thing you know, I had eyes sparkling with hope and hands reaching out for copies of my LiveCDs (which I always carry around with me).  ^^

Moral of the Story:  "If a picture's worth a thousand words, then the proof is worth a thousand pictures."  ^______^

QuoteHooray! Way-to-be! Excellent!
I've been really impressed with that program, and I think you will be to. If you have any questions, C-Chan-senpai is and utter genius in such things, and Bella-sama is fast becoming one, so there's plenty of quality help to be found. Good luck!

Thank you, Tsubashi-dono.  ^___^
I should disclaim, however, that it's perfectly possible for me to be an "utter genius" in Inkscape only because I sacrifice common courtesy with Private Messages.  -.-'

WAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!  I'M SORRY, TSUBASHI-DONO!!!!!!  I DOTH SUCKETH, I ADMITETH!!!  ;^0^;
*cries and grovels before Tsubashi-dono*

On a related subject, I'm proud to announce that Inkscape 0.46 has entered its prerelease stage:

http://inkscape.org/

So it won't be long now!!!!!!  ^V^

Start picking your wine....

QuoteI lie. I hate soap operas, but Grecian tragedies I can get into!
*dramatic-like*
And you know I want to be dramatic about it! So VMS-sama saved her life...?

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm,.....  Â¬Â¬'
Not really in a,... "you jumped into a burning building to save me" kind of way.....  Â¬____¬

More like in a "you took me in when nobody gave me a chance" kind of thing.  ^^'

Again,... not that VMS itself saved ECOS in real life,... but the kind of people developers that got together and salaged/open sourced the system after it had been effectively scrapped by Red Hat Inc. certainly embody the CIOST spirit.  Devotion, hope and support for non-UNIX-based alternative operating systems is an integral part to the CIOST philosophy, which is why even characters like BeOS-chan and SkyOS-tan are also a part of it (even though they're proprietary).

Quote*old-timey-accent*

So gov'na, you say we's in the 20s? Pop some ragtime on the Victrola, I feel like doin' the Charleston!

Either that or go for'ah drive in the hossless carriage, and drop by tha speakeasy!

@.@

*eyes sparkle*  *v*

GYAAAh!  That don bring m'mries.  ^___^

*bellows out*  PU-CHAN!!!!  GET DRESSED!!!!  WE'RE GONNA GO OUT AND DANCE THE CHARLESTON ATOP A BIPLANE IN THE PALE OF MOONLIGHT!!!!  ^0^

*sighs, then drools*  Bless unsustainable free credit booms, and all their associated wackiness....  ^.^

QuoteSuuuure, Slackware-tan's a Unix-worshiping suck up and SCO-tan's a maniacal frivolous-lawsuit spewing nutcase...

But they never tried to eat a HEADCRAB!!!

It's not too late, though.  ^.^
I mean,... as far as I know,... Unixware-tan is still on the table.  For all we know, she could eat whole rhinos and Ooliphants and stuff....  ^___^

QuoteHey, I've always thought VMS-sama and her kinfolk would be quite tall (VMS-sama maybe...5 foot 7 or 8 inches?)

The Unixes, on the other hand, I thought might be a bit on the average/short side...

................. ''

5... Foot... 8... inches,.... is.... tall?  ''

............mmmm...

.................mmm-hu.....

.....................mmm-huhu..... ^.^

...........mwahahaha......  ^__^

.....MwaHAHAHA!!! ^v^

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  ^V^

*ZOMG ROTFL*

^___^

That is soooooooooo cute, Bella-san.  You're a very funny girl.  ^^

*pats her on head*

In any event, I associate height with age and features, so even though I never thought to make one group taller on average than the other, this particular comparison makes a little more sense since the UNIX family has tons of legacy OS-tans that are just,... a tad bit,... old.  ^^'

But certainly the modern free BSDs are not short,... the tough-looking OpenBSD-tan, for example, just begs to look the part.  ^___^

QuoteAnd I might go ahead with the comic...you see, I want to do something sweet and just a touch sappy (think, a light maple flavor)...

See, my punchiness still hasn't worn off O________o

ZOMG!!!  Sweet and sappy?!!!  Impossible!!!  You're not Bella!!!  You're not BELLA!!!!!  ^0^

*shakes Bella*

Give back Bella-san,.... you.... Alien, Time Traveler and/or Esper!!!  ;^0^;

QuoteBut I'm starting to see the difficulties of this...for instance, I'm not sure how 3.1-san would treat the...slightly clingy...young NT-chan. She's always seems a bit distant, but I don't want to make her seem rude...Not to mention, is this really 3.1-tan and NT-chan's first meeting? Why would they have been separated until just right now....or whatever.

Then there's how many panels....I did a rough sketch and it looks like it's gonna be about 12 or so. I'm trying to do most of my work handdrawn (before I vectorize), cause that's where I excel...I guess the shading and stuff will be pretty simplistic and more anime-esqe than usual...

Then, the dialogue. There's a reason the comics I do don't have much, or are comedic....But I try to be game for a challenge! If I wasn't, I'd have quit long ago :P

Well that's why you have us to help out.  ^___^
Most of your concerns really deal with the choreography -- and it's true, you should storyboard (handdrawn) then vectorize them Anime style later since the simplicty will help move this project along very quickly.  If it's a serious comic, consider softer tones than the bright, eye-bursting ones I use.  ^^'

It's my belief that 3.1-sama is not very distant during the prelude to the so-called "[Commercial] OS War", and probably showers her with much sisterly love -- mixed in with 2 parts unintentional M$ indoctrination (e.g., "Believe in Father", "Father is a Great Man", "Never doubt Father's wishes").  Even while NT-san's skills are improving, 3.1-sama bears no ill well.  It's only after 95-tan is born and the two younger OS-tans are taken farther and farther away from the legacy OS-tan, that 3.1-sama's enthusiasm starts to wane.

Add to that several years of having her age weigh upon her, and you have the emotionally-apathetic loligoth we have today -- still capable of showing compassion from time to time, but otherwise not particularly genki.

As far as the dialogue is concerned, consider writing the script first and post it here.  I can help you edit and then time it for the panels/storyboards.

QuoteCool! I think vector art has a false sense of difficulty attached to it by many, I certainly thought so. But at any rate, I think I took to it faster than I did with PS...

I can vouch for the authenticiity of Bella-donon's "Winness".  ^^

Bella

QuoteCurrently have my EeePC-chan being test run by kids, so the fact that I won't be playing with it means I can get back to some much long-overdue responses. Plus maybe a little drawing.... ^^

Gosh, I've never had my computer hijacked by kids :P

QuoteGyaaah,... well, didn't want to ruin our PG rating, but,... yeah, that is correct. ^^;

*Wags finger*

Dirty thoughts are bad for you!

QuoteHmm,.. that's some very odd behavior on the part of the Windows installer. '__'
It sounds like you have an installation disk, though, so maybe next time this happens, you can just try booting off a Linux LiveCD,... wiping the hard drive clean, creating a new partition table, and reformatting to NTFS using GParted,... and then reinstall Windows on the nice new clean hard drive (and install Avast Antivirus too!). Unfortunately, this only works with a separate disk. I hate retailers that embed their recovery partition within the same hard drive, since it does nothing when you're entire hard drive gets fried. ^^;

So, is this a desktop we're talking about?

Cause, I dunno...I love XP, but XP has never worked too well on any desktop I've used O___O

Maybe it has something to do with the recovery partition, or the junkware, or whatever...but XP has just always worked fine on our laptops...

QuoteWell,... not sure if I'd laugh the same way, since everyone I meet who I show the EeePC to don't know what Linux is or that it's running it. In a recent book fair I went to, I was surrounded by tons of artsy, post-modern, socially-conscious people who,... strangely enough,... were complaining about how they were stuck using Windows PCs because Macs were too expensive. None of them new about Linux or GNU software, and seemed incredulous of my fantastical claims until I showed them the EeePC. Next thing you know, I had eyes sparkling with hope and hands reaching out for copies of my LiveCDs (which I always carry around with me). ^^

Moral of the Story: "If a picture's worth a thousand words, then the proof is worth a thousand pictures." ^______^

That is so weird...cause the people 'round here either has a Mac or has used/knows of Linux...and I wouldn't even say these folks are that post-modern or tech savvy. More like touristy small-town chic XD

Course, whenever I try to demonstrate Linux to my friends or whatever, it always ends with a bootup kernel panic, Beryl deciding not to work, or the volume on the VM deciding to quit. >___<

QuoteOn a related subject, I'm proud to announce that Inkscape 0.46 has entered its prerelease stage:

http://inkscape.org/

So it won't be long now!!!!!! ^V^

Start picking your wine....

Woohoo!!!

QuoteUmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm,..... ¬¬'
Not really in a,... "you jumped into a burning building to save me" kind of way..... ¬____¬

More like in a "you took me in when nobody gave me a chance" kind of thing. ^^'

Again,... not that VMS itself saved ECOS in real life,... but the kind of people developers that got together and salaged/open sourced the system after it had been effectively scrapped by Red Hat Inc. certainly embody the CIOST spirit. Devotion, hope and support for non-UNIX-based alternative operating systems is an integral part to the CIOST philosophy, which is why even characters like BeOS-chan and SkyOS-tan are also a part of it (even though they're proprietary).

Oh, those crazy rescues are so action movie-ish :P

But VMS-sama taking her in....bwaaaaaah! She's making up for "not having a daughter" as it were...I tells ya, VMS-sama is as kind a person as one could venture to meet! It's just her circumstances that made her the way she is now, but I think deep down she's as nice as she ever was.

As for BeOS and SkyOS, aren't they Unix-like? Course, neither are very well known or anything, so they'd fit in fine, I think...

QuoteGYAAAh! That don bring m'mries. ^___^

*bellows out* PU-CHAN!!!! GET DRESSED!!!! WE'RE GONNA GO OUT AND DANCE THE CHARLESTON ATOP A BIPLANE IN THE PALE OF MOONLIGHT!!!! ^0^

*sighs, then drools* Bless unsustainable free credit booms, and all their associated wackiness.... ^.^

LOL....

QuoteIt's not too late, though. ^.^
I mean,... as far as I know,... Unixware-tan is still on the table. For all we know, she could eat whole rhinos and Ooliphants and stuff.... ^___^

Humph. UnixWare-tan is a true lady and eats like it!

Quote5... Foot... 8... inches,.... is.... tall? ''

............mmmm...

.................mmm-hu.....

.....................mmm-huhu..... ^.^

...........mwahahaha...... ^__^

.....MwaHAHAHA!!! ^v^

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ^V^

*ZOMG ROTFL*

^___^ That is soooooooooo cute, Bella-san. You're a very funny girl. ^^

*pats her on head*

In any event, I associate height with age and features, so even though I never thought to make one group taller on average than the other, this particular comparison makes a little more sense since the UNIX family has tons of legacy OS-tans that are just,... a tad bit,... old. ^^'

But certainly the modern free BSDs are not short,... the tough-looking OpenBSD-tan, for example, just begs to look the part. ^___^

Oh come on...The US average is like 5' 4'' or something...I think 5' 8'' is quite tall :P

QuoteZOMG!!! Sweet and sappy?!!! Impossible!!! You're not Bella!!! You're not BELLA!!!!! ^0^

*shakes Bella*

Give back Bella-san,.... you.... Alien, Time Traveler and/or Esper!!! ;^0^;

Oh, I'm still Bella...

But who's to say I'm not an Alien, Time Traveler and/or Esper? XD

QuoteWell that's why you have us to help out. ^___^
Most of your concerns really deal with the choreography -- and it's true, you should storyboard (handdrawn) then vectorize them Anime style later since the simplicty will help move this project along very quickly. If it's a serious comic, consider softer tones than the bright, eye-bursting ones I use. ^^'

Yeah, I probably will use somewhat quieter colors...

QuoteIt's my belief that 3.1-sama is not very distant during the prelude to the so-called "[Commercial] OS War", and probably showers her with much sisterly love -- mixed in with 2 parts unintentional M$ indoctrination (e.g., "Believe in Father", "Father is a Great Man", "Never doubt Father's wishes"). Even while NT-san's skills are improving, 3.1-sama bears no ill well. It's only after 95-tan is born and the two younger OS-tans are taken farther and farther away from the legacy OS-tan, that 3.1-sama's enthusiasm starts to wane.

That sounds reasonable...though 3.1-san never seemed like an exactly cheery character to me ;)

QuoteAdd to that several years of having her age weigh upon her, and you have the emotionally-apathetic loligoth we have today -- still capable of showing compassion from time to time, but otherwise not particularly genki.

As far as the dialogue is concerned, consider writing the script first and post it here. I can help you edit and then time it for the panels/storyboards.

Perhaps I'll post the sketches I did, later. I even sort of made different panels and wrote a bit of the dialogue...

But, onto an odd thought I had...for Unix daemon-tans! No, not like the BSD daemons, I think these might be more like faithful helpers to the Unix and Linux-tans or something...

Sendmail-tan might be a mail carrier or something like that, and init-tan could be...the daemon that gives wakeup calls to the Unix-tans (cause init starts all other processes--get it :P), and httpd-tan could be the muse of the server-tans!

Somehow I see them as more human-looking than the BSD daemons; kinda small, shadowy, a bit imp-like and mischievous, and dressed in a classical Greek style...and with the ability to pop in and out of sight. Whether or not you can see them, however, they're always there ;)

*edited cause I thought of more ideas for the daemons*

Siya

Quote from: "Bella"Oh come on...The US average is like 5' 4'' or something...I think 5' 8'' is quite tall :P
Maybe for females, but for males, the average is taller (5'9"-ish).  In addition, the average height around where I am is much higher.  I'm short at 5'10".

C-Chan

QuoteGosh, I've never had my computer hijacked by kids :P

Normally I'd say you're lucky, but strangely-enough I've never had problems with kids using computers.  They could destroy everything and anything in existence, but video game consoles and computers are sacred to them.
@___@

QuoteThat is so weird...cause the people 'round here either has a Mac or has used/knows of Linux...and I wouldn't even say these folks are that post-modern or tech savvy. More like touristy small-town chic XD

Course, whenever I try to demonstrate Linux to my friends or whatever, it always ends with a bootup kernel panic, Beryl deciding not to work, or the volume on the VM deciding to quit. >___<

Oh that's just Murphy's Law being evil.  ^^

But I'm still wondering about this wonder town of yours where everyone and their dog knows about Linux and Mac.  It's like Stepford but in reverse!  @v@

QuoteOh, those crazy rescues are so action movie-ish :P

I do have an action movie story idea centered around DSL-kun.  Course, it plays more like a Miyazaki film, so the "saving" part is more heart-warming and epic.  ^^

QuoteBut VMS-sama taking her in....bwaaaaaah! She's making up for "not having a daughter" as it were...I tells ya, VMS-sama is as kind a person as one could venture to meet! It's just her circumstances that made her the way she is now, but I think deep down she's as nice as she ever was.

*clap clap clap*

Someone give this young lady a medal!  She understands it perfectly!  ^___^

QuoteAs for BeOS and SkyOS, aren't they Unix-like? Course, neither are very well known or anything, so they'd fit in fine, I think...

Well okay, I kinda meant "UNIX-derived".  Given that UNIX-sama is the mother of all modern OSes, it's only natural that non-related OSes may inadvertently work like her (to ensure compatibility at the least).  

In the case of BeOS, there are several versions of her drawn as OS-tans (not including Zeta and Haiku), so it's a fairly strong contingent still.  I should also point out that TinyOS-tan is something like their own version of DSL-tan (sans the peacefulness).  

QuoteOh come on...The US average is like 5' 4'' or something...I think 5' 8'' is quite tall :P

QuoteMaybe for females, but for males, the average is taller (5'9"-ish). In addition, the average height around where I am is much higher. I'm short at 5'10".

Yessssssssss....... T__T
According to some curiously out-dated US government sources, both of youz are correct:

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/bodymeas.htm

Actually, it only captures adults past the age of 20, which are probably weighted down by a shriveling "baby boomer" generation.  This when the latest generation is exposed to high calorie foods, growth hormones and other assorted chemicals that seem to be making them bigger than ever.  

However, it is true that people abide by statistics, live by statistics, and manage clothing and shoe stores by statistics without consulting their plain own eyes.  So if it's true that "We Think, Therefore We Are", then I'm officially doomed anywhere I go....  Â¯-¯

*sighs sadly*

That's it!  I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!!  ^0^

*jumps*

*...on bandwagon*

*buys one-way ticket to Montenegro*

*flies to Montenegro*

*requests politcal asylum*

QuoteOh, I'm still Bella...

But who's to say I'm not an Alien, Time Traveler and/or Esper? XD

Has image in mind...

Sweeeeeeeeet!!!  ^v^

QuoteSendmail-tan might be a mail carrier or something like that, and init-tan could be...the daemon that gives wakeup calls to the Unix-tans (cause init starts all other processes--get it :P), and httpd-tan could be the muse of the server-tans!

Somehow I see them as more human-looking than the BSD daemons; kinda small, shadowy, a bit imp-like and mischievous, and dressed in a classical Greek style...and with the ability to pop in and out of sight. Whether or not you can see them, however, they're always there

Oh I see, you want to draw more UNIX "app-tans", so to speak.  That's fine,... in fact, don't forget I've been meaning to draw a BASH-tan for a long time, so I understand perfectly the motivation.  ^___^

Sendmail-tan sounds like the Nix equivalent of AOL-tan. ^^;

Bella

Hey! Some drawings!

First off, the daemons:

sendmail-tan, I gave bat-like wings. No reason, really, but I suppose they look kinda creepy and cool. Though she uses these only for travel...they sorta transform back into hands when needed.

The upper one is init-tan, who fancies being a wakeup service :P

And the lower one is httpd-tan, who's the patron of all Unix and Linux servers! So I gave her cable hair...

I think another neat thing about the daemons could be they portray themselves differently to different Unix-tans, as different versions or distros use different daemons. I should also note only Unix-or-like-tans can see these creatures.

And my comic, so far. This is page 2, I drew a bit of the ending and have an idea for the beginning but this is all I care to post >////<

And UnixWare-tan.

QuoteBut I'm still wondering about this wonder town of yours where everyone and their dog knows about Linux and Mac. It's like Stepford but in reverse! @v@

Yup, that's an accurate assessment :P

QuoteI do have an action movie story idea centered around DSL-kun. Course, it plays more like a Miyazaki film, so the "saving" part is more heart-warming and epic. ^^

Oooh...I really like Miyazaki movies!

Quote*clap clap clap*

Someone give this young lady a medal! She understands it perfectly! ^___^

C'mon, this is VMS-sama we're talking about! Course I do!

QuoteWell okay, I kinda meant "UNIX-derived". Given that UNIX-sama is the mother of all modern OSes, it's only natural that non-related OSes may inadvertently work like her (to ensure compatibility at the least).

In the case of BeOS, there are several versions of her drawn as OS-tans (not including Zeta and Haiku), so it's a fairly strong contingent still. I should also point out that TinyOS-tan is something like their own version of DSL-tan (sans the peacefulness).

Mother of all modern OSs....

*imagines VMS-sama at a Unix-party*

"Hey! I'm like a third-cousin! I even look like some y'all!" (CDE desktop environment)

I always thought BeOS-tan was underrated...I have to draw her sometime...

QuoteThis when the latest generation is exposed to high calorie foods, growth hormones and other assorted chemicals that seem to be making them bigger than ever.

Really?  ;018

I always thought a lot of younger people were quite short...

QuoteHas image in mind...

I LOL'd XD

QuoteOh I see, you want to draw more UNIX "app-tans", so to speak. That's fine,... in fact, don't forget I've been meaning to draw a BASH-tan for a long time, so I understand perfectly the motivation. ^___^

Sendmail-tan sounds like the Nix equivalent of AOL-tan. ^^;

Like a frightening AOL-tan...

EDIT:

Oh yeah, and one last thing:

I was reading about the influences on OSX (which have always been a bit fuzzy and confusing to me)....Take the article for Darwin OS, where it listed OpenStep as being more or less NeXTSTEP renamed. But the actual OpenStep article makes it seem more like an API (it calls it as such: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OPENSTEP )

So...I mean...what is it...?

What got me thinking was my (suffering from an artistic case of ADD and all) kinda sorta wanting to do a "battle suit" (or at least battle-ready) NeXTSTEP and BeOS-tan pic :P Perhaps the most underrated and unknown OS rivalry in history!
*fight-announcer voice*
Two OSs enter! But only one will be chosen ancestor of all OSXs!

Bella

And here's a very rough vector sketch:

It's taken me about 15-30 minutes per panel so far...

C-Chan

GAAAAAAH!!!!  BELLA-DONO!!!!!!  Why do you keep trying to make me swoon?!!  >0<

*swoons*

*mysteriously types while unconscious*

Added after 19 minutes:

Quotesendmail-tan, I gave bat-like wings. No reason, really, but I suppose they look kinda creepy and cool. Though she uses these only for travel...they sorta transform back into hands when needed.

The upper one is init-tan, who fancies being a wakeup service :P

And the lower one is httpd-tan, who's the patron of all Unix and Linux servers! So I gave her cable hair...

I think another neat thing about the daemons could be they portray themselves differently to different Unix-tans, as different versions or distros use different daemons. I should also note only Unix-or-like-tans can see these creatures.

Fufufu... very creative, Bella-dono.  ^__^
Well I can say now with confidence that sendmail-tan ain't no AOL-tan.  ^v^
Looks equally as ready of defending Gotham as she is of delivery mail.  ^.^;

Can't really say much about init-tan, although I'm not sure if she's trying to wake me up or reenact a bed scene from the Exorcist.  ^v^;

httpd-tan, though, looks like she oozes charm as much as cables.  ^__^
I do recall that in one of VonDaab's pictures, there was another character who had cables in her hair (I believe it was Cat5e-tan?)

QuoteAnd my comic, so far. This is page 2, I drew a bit of the ending and have an idea for the beginning but this is all I care to post >////<

QuoteAnd here's a very rough vector sketch:

It's taken me about 15-30 minutes per panel so far...

Sugooooooooooiness x24!!!!!!!  ^v^

The comic is turning out quite beautifully, and 15 minutes is not bad at all for Studio-Ghibili quality animation.  ^__________^

Great-o work-o!  ^v^

QuoteAnd UnixWare-tan.

Awwwww yeah!!! She looks like the kind of refined, classy lady that would eat an Ooliphant!  no doubt about it!  ^0^

Fufufu.... ^.^

Just kidding,... ^v^

I can say,... without a shadow of a doubt,... that she takes after her grandmother.  ^____________^

QuoteReally?

I always thought a lot of younger people were quite short...

But you live in the Reverse-Stepford, so that explains that.... ^.^

*resumes hitting Montenegro "tourist" spots*

QuoteOh yeah, and one last thing:

I was reading about the influences on OSX (which have always been a bit fuzzy and confusing to me)....Take the article for Darwin OS, where it listed OpenStep as being more or less NeXTSTEP renamed. But the actual OpenStep article makes it seem more like an API (it calls it as such: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OPENSTEP )

So...I mean...what is it...?

What got me thinking was my (suffering from an artistic case of ADD and all) kinda sorta wanting to do a "battle suit" (or at least battle-ready) NeXTSTEP and BeOS-tan pic :P Perhaps the most underrated and unknown OS rivalry in history!
*fight-announcer voice*
Two OSs enter! But only one will be chosen ancestor of all OSXs!

Oh boy,... she's at it again.  ^^;

I'm not one to talk, though,... but,.... you know......... comic......  ^^;

*points upward*

*but still quietly drools at thought of BeOS-chan in battle suit*  -v-

I doth sucketh, I know.... -.-;

Bella

QuoteFufufu... very creative, Bella-dono. ^__^
Well I can say now with confidence that sendmail-tan ain't no AOL-tan. ^v^
Looks equally as ready of defending Gotham as she is of delivery mail. ^.^;

Can't really say much about init-tan, although I'm not sure if she's trying to wake me up or reenact a bed scene from the Exorcist. ^v^;

httpd-tan, though, looks like she oozes charm as much as cables. ^__^
I do recall that in one of VonDaab's pictures, there was another character who had cables in her hair (I believe it was Cat5e-tan?)

Usually I don't give a lot of thought to app-tans, but these I couldn't pass up!

QuoteSugooooooooooiness x24!!!!!!! ^v^

The comic is turning out quite beautifully, and 15 minutes is not bad at all for Studio-Ghibili quality animation. ^__________^

Great-o work-o! ^v^

Like I said before, I'm still trying to think up a beginning and ending...

QuoteI can say,... without a shadow of a doubt,... that she takes after her grandmother. ^____________^

Uh oh...you've got me thinking.... (<always dangerous!!)

I've always assumed Unix-sama was a catchall for most of then Unix releases until the BSD split...But, would Unix System V qualify for it's own -tan? I mean, would any of the time sharing systems qualify for their own -tans?  o_o

QuoteOh boy,... she's at it again. ^^;

I'm not one to talk, though,... but,.... you know......... comic...... ^^;

*points upward*

*but still quietly drools at thought of BeOS-chan in battle suit* -v-

I doth sucketh, I know.... -.-;

Scratch that...I think I might draw NeXTSTEP-tan dressed up in a gown! A very punk-gothic gown!

See, I'm repenting for all my ignoring NeXTSTEP-tan. I mean, she's to whom we can trace our beloved OSX-tans back to!