Siya's Concept Hut

Started by Siya, July 17, 2007, 04:49:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C-Chan

QuoteChainsawLinux-tan may look cute and all, but I'm wondering what she does with that chainsaw O__o

Hopefully, she does carvings and not...well, better not go there

I'm sure she just carves turkey with that thing.  ^^

QuoteWell, as she is mostly a visual media oriented system, I imagine that using the chainsaw for carvings/sculpture is rather appropriate. She "saws" at video data to create a work of art? If she ever has need of a weapon, though, I'm certain that the chainsaw would work in a pinch. Hopefully ChainsawLinux-tan is not prone to bloody killing sprees.

Ahhhhh... what's a little recreation of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre every now and then.... ^___^

QuoteI...I did warn you about that. I can't have random forumites dying in my thread, yet. It gives me a bad reputation!

Awwww!  ^0^
But she looked so cute spinning her skirt like that.... ^o^

ONE - MORE - TIME!!!!!  ^V^

*C-chan leaps toward ChainsawLinux-tan*

*C-chan + massive layers of duct tape get chopped in half*

QuoteActually, instead of a younger/older thing, I was beginning to think that the two designs could just be different outfits for different purposes. The left one just looks more civilian and the right looks more...superhero-esque? I wouldn't go so far as calling one a secret identity, though. When I think of multiple different versions of an OS-tan (Vista?), it reminds me of Sharon Apple from Macross Plus. Sharon was just a computer AI, but she had several different holographic "bodies" for performing different songs. I'm not sure I can properly lead you to where I want to go with all of this, but that's what I think of. I also feel as if I've gone off on a tangent. I don't even know if the multiple aspects idea for AEGIS-tan is appropriate.

That sounds like a really good idea actually.  ^___^
Not sure if AEGIS/DomainOS-tan would qualify as a Mainframe-tan really (can't access Wiki right now), but it should be appropriate for her to have those kinds of powers.  

Certainly UNIX-sama can change into other appearances if need be.

QuoteThis suggests to me that OLPC-tan is well-meaning, but not quite the best at recognizing what is practical or noticing the dark dealings of the world. Naïve. That's the word I'm looking for. For some reason, though, the age that best fits to me would be somewhere between late high school and a recent college graduate. OLPC-tan has just realized the poor living conditions of those elsewhere in the world. Her compassion burns a fire within her to try and make the lives of those children better. But she's still too green to understand the politics of it all and ends up going about everything the wrong way.

...Or in other words, the Peacemaker's dilemma.  Just like energy can neither be created or destroyed, you can't give without taking.  If you want to put the health, education and financial well-being of a general population first and foremost, you can't do it without destroying (figuratively or literally) the way of life you're likely used to.  And even if you yourself are prepared to make that sacrifice, A LOT of people (including the powerful beneficiaries of such a system) are not.

QuoteThat, and OLPC-tan getting sold on the black market sounds akin to an American charity worker being kidnapped and held for ransom in a guerrilla-infested nation...or even enslaved!

Poor OLPC-tan. She means well.

Does this sound appropriate?

Yeah that sounds about right -- although given the sheer number of non-guerrillas that might kidnap her (sometimes legally), I can kinda see that as being a "dark humor" running gag.  I'm reminded of an old jeer about the Mexico City police force: "If you're being chased by a mugger and run across a policeman, you're better off running back to get mugged", or something like that.  -.-

QuoteOn another note...I hope she doesn't use that chainsaw....like secchan uses the bottle-opener..

Why not, though?  She'd be a Free and Open Source alternative to Secchan's "eunuch-ification"!  I'm all for it!  ^___^

QuoteMomonga: EEEE....Are you trying to kill me with the cuteness?
Anyway...SQUIRRELY
*glomps*
This one is comming close to Fchan and Inu-t's spot in my heart.
Especially if she gets any fluffier

I do wholeheartedly support a 28% increase in Momo-chan's Fluffification Factor!  ^___^

QuoteNo, gimme that C-Chan!

*has delicious ham roast*

Ahhhhhhh,....... I'm not sure that's wise to do that with a macrophilic pig.  ^___^'

*C-chan copies and pastes comment about DSL-chan here*  

*blushes* ^.^

QuoteJust that her chainsaw kinda reminded me of VMS-tan's cleaver...both frightening potential weapons, I guess

While Chainsaw-chan does have the advantage of modernity and slicing speed, VMS-sama's cleaver has the advantage in terms of size, weight and bulk.  It's literally like wielding a huge steel I-beam.  ^____^

QuoteSo, in keeping with my pattern of ignoring the piles of sketches that I have to clean up into finished works, I made someone completely different: APODIO-tan.

Wow,... a bit unexpected again, but very intriguing.  ^__^
One of your most original designs to date, and very slick and sassy!  ^v^

APODIO-tan traditionalism + Japanese attire = friend of Apple II-chan  ^___^

QuoteOkay, so this is another audio-focused distro. While she is French, she reminded me of a Japanese taiko drummer (especially that octopus logo of hers). So, knowing she is French and has a Victrola on her head, I designed her like a taiko drummer.

She has a variety of audio-oriented programs which are the "drums" she plays to create her music. I gave her hair a generic, segmented look to allude to the tentacles of her octopus logo.

My defense for using a traditional Japanese costume on a French OS is the Art Nouveau movement. OK, maybe Art Nouveau is a bad example. But in my years of studying art history and costume design, I've noticed several movements of French art and fashion that are heavily influenced by Japanese and Chinese culture. This is not including the modern anime/manga craze.

I don't think you need to defend anything -- it's a very clever use of symbolism that must be rewarded at the highest levels!!  ^v^

*C-chan cheers*  ^0^

QuoteAPODIO-tan's drumsticks are her weapons. Whether they can transform into a more weapon-like form or she just whacks people with them, I'm not really certain. I almost want to leave that part a mystery and let other people decide how that all goes...and what forms her drumsticks can take, if any.

....................Nunchaku..... ^>^

QuoteDarn it Bella, I was going to do that.
*Hatches a sneaky devious underhanded scheme*

OMG, look behind you! It's Tiger-kun!

*Steals the C-chan roast while Bella is distracted*

Muahahahah!

BWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!  NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!
GIMME BACK TO BELLA-SAMA!!!!!!!!  ^0^

It's just not the saaaaame...............  ;^0^;

QuoteYou know...I was wondering if we could melt him down into one of those desserts that he has a tendency to become.

*tsk tsk tsk*

Impossible,.... Pig Melting is an ART form of the highest qualities!
You guys cannot HOPE to achieve such a fine level of Pig Meltism without at least 7 years of intensive training in the C-chan School of Culinary Exquisities and Invented Words.  Tuition starts at $175,000 USD, plus cost of books and lodging.  ^___^

QuoteActually, I neglected to think of that. Now that I do, I imagine her hair might turn into actual octopus tentacles. I also imagine that hentai is inevitable...but I'm not drawing it.

Well, that'd make her part of the growing family of sentient hair wielders.  From Me-tan's living cowlick, to OS/2-sama's "multitasking" hairdo, to Freepsire-chan's winged pigtails.  ^___^

QuoteWith colored pencils, I can create works like these:

These required about half as many colors as I would need for computer art. That and it's easier for me to control pencils than a tablet.

So, I'm training to get better on the computer!

Well those handdrawns are remarkable,... so much so, that I have to wonder why you want to get better on the computer to begin with.  ^^
(although admittedly, computer-aided artwork has the immeasurable advantage of being able to [cleanly] revise one's work as often as is practical)  ^___^

I could never get comfortable either using a tablet -- if only because my eyes disconnect badly with any hand motions occurring far removed from the screen (although interestingly-enough, this is not a problem with typing -- reason why I can write all these big-ass responses so quickly  ^^').  Probably the reason why I want a Tablet Mac is because, theoretically, it would solve the disconnect problem while offering as close an authentic hand-drawing experience as is technically possible.  ^___^

QuoteOr tell Xp Pro-tan and Fchan-tan about this and we could all have a BBQ party XD
(Fchan-tan likes pork and beef as much as Saseko does)

Nah, as much as I'd love a Malt Shake or a BBQ right now I have to admit, The forum just wouldn't be the same without that Wiki-mod, Tall Girl-loving, Pig.

*A lightbulb appears over Techno's head*
Aha! We Can Bring him back.

*Runs off to look up "Plan 9-tan" "RIP-tan" and "Leopard-tan" in the phonebook.*

I do have to hand it to Kitsune-san,... he knows his Forum Lore.  ^____^

QuoteQuite probable. In addition to her disappearing act, she has a tendency to look like other active applications (and to network administrators, she would look like Firefox). So, a proper list of Ghostzilla-tan's abilities would be disappearing, making herself intangible and altering her form to look like other application-tans.

Also, this talk of Ghostzilla-tan made me want to try my hand at making a forum header.

WOW!!!!!  It's been so long since we've issued new Forum Headers!!!  ^v^

You, may friend, will be thee catalyst for a Header Revival!!!  ^.^

QuoteDoes it look proper enough to submit? The frame is Ghostzilla's actual frame. This would make it look somewhat like Ghostzilla has opened itself where the forum header typically does. I was musing over making Ghostzilla-tan appear and disappear, but I don't have the proper programs to animate it.

Not sure what version of Photoshop you're using, but I know at least the older versions (like 5.0 and 6.0) come with Adobe ImageReady.  ImageReady will take care of all your animated GIF needs.

Siya

Quote from: "C-Chan"Awwww!  ^0^
But she looked so cute spinning her skirt like that.... ^o^

ONE - MORE - TIME!!!!!  ^V^

*C-chan leaps toward ChainsawLinux-tan*

*C-chan + massive layers of duct tape get chopped in half*
*sighs and gets out the staple gun*

QuoteI don't think you need to defend anything -- it's a very clever use of symbolism that must be rewarded at the highest levels!!  ^v^

*C-chan cheers*  ^0^
Yay!

Quote....................Nunchaku..... ^>^
PERFECT!

QuoteImpossible,.... Pig Melting is an ART form of the highest qualities!
You guys cannot HOPE to achieve such a fine level of Pig Meltism without at least 7 years of intensive training in the C-chan School of Culinary Exquisities and Invented Words.  Tuition starts at $175,000 USD, plus cost of books and lodging.  ^___^
I guess it's for the better.  I'd hate to loose a fellow forumite that has been so helpful in rounding out the characters of my I ideas.

QuoteWell those handdrawns are remarkable,... so much so, that I have to wonder why you want to get better on the computer to begin with.  ^^
(although admittedly, computer-aided artwork has the immeasurable advantage of being able to [cleanly] revise one's work as often as is practical)  ^___^
While I want to keep up with my hand-drawn work, computer-aided work is best for...computers.  ^-^;

QuoteWOW!!!!!  It's been so long since we've issued new Forum Headers!!!  ^v^

You, may friend, will be thee catalyst for a Header Revival!!!  ^.^
On that topic, which is considered the best form of submission?  The FAQ mentions mail or posting to a thread.  That thread later mentions uploading the banners, oneself.  

QuoteNot sure what version of Photoshop you're using, but I know at least the older versions (like 5.0 and 6.0) come with Adobe ImageReady.  ImageReady will take care of all your animated GIF needs.
Adobe Photoshop Elements, it seems, does not have ImageReady. ;_;

Bella

QuoteWith colored pencils, I can create works like these:

Sorry I forgot to comment--Those are INCREDIBLE!  ;010

I too enjoy doing some colored pencil artwork, it's seems to be a lot easier for me than painting...

QuoteCertainly UNIX-sama can change into other appearances if need be.

Really? Hath I overlookith a mystical ability of thine Goddess?

*Writes out raincheck to hear that whole story*

Quote*C-chan copies and pastes comment about DSL-chan here*

*blushes* ^.^

I ain't ever gonna live that down, huh? XD

QuoteWhile Chainsaw-chan does have the advantage of modernity and slicing speed, VMS-sama's cleaver has the advantage in terms of size, weight and bulk. It's literally like wielding a huge steel I-beam. ^____^

...Cool....

QuoteI could never get comfortable either using a tablet -- if only because my eyes disconnect badly with any hand motions occurring far removed from the screen

I've always wondered the same thing about tablets...I've only ever used tablet PCs...

Siya

*runs in real quick to drop off an updated Momonga-tan*

Gussy Keniji

QuoteWe do NOT need any Texas ChainsawLinux Massacre! LOL...
Ironically, I saw that movie (the original) today. Pheh not as scary as they put into it...But back to business...

-Momonga-tan-
What can I say, she's cute and fluffly, the fact she's a squirrel makes me wanna snuggle her all day long (or in my case all night long, being it's night time here :/). Though in my opinion, I like her buckteeth heh makes her look even cuter :3 Excellent work Siya-san

-Songbird-tan-
Hm, she looks real elegant dood, here's hopin you come back to her, for that'll be awesome to see her in a finalized pic

-Musix-tan
Hehehe she can conduct my orchestra anyday ... ... ... Forgive me, sometimes my lecherous side takes over...*ahem* Musix-tan's design as well as that BG are excellent dood *Gussy-san Thumbs Up*

-LinEspa-tan-
Hm, Never really did hear of this OS before, but her sketch looks great, and real nice use of accesories if I do say so m'self.

-Aegis-tan-
Now this girl is one of my all time favorites <3 (despite me not even knowing of the OS' exsistance XD). Even though it's just a skecth I'm lovin it already!

-OLPC-tan-
Once again never heard of this system, But she definetly looks the part to be a great teacher/mentor (or sensei)

-RIP-tan-
A necromancer you say? Sweet, it's pretty exclusive to find an OS-necromancer around, so I eagerly await to see her

-ChainsawLinux-tan-
Aww, I want to hug her, but...those skirt teeth tell me otherwise, be careful Bliss-tan, ya might not wanna latch on to her

Overall Excellent designs Siya dood, The fact that their rarely acknowledged gives'em that 'exotic' feelin, a feelin I whole heartedly approve of *Gussy Thumbs Up*

"Wut..."

C-Chan

QuoteI guess it's for the better. I'd hate to loose a fellow forumite that has been so helpful in rounding out the characters of my I ideas.

Awwww shucks, twas nothing.  ^___^
We all help out here, ne?  ^.^

QuoteOn that topic, which is considered the best form of submission? The FAQ mentions mail or posting to a thread. That thread later mentions uploading the banners, oneself.

In fairness, it's been a long while since I've done this myself.  However, I do believe posting it here....

http://ostan-collections.net/downloads.php?cat=5

...is the best and quickest option.  ^^

QuoteAdobe Photoshop Elements, it seems, does not have ImageReady. ;_;

Ahhh sou sou.... Forgot that Elements was just that,... the bare elements.... ^.^'
I've heard though that some limited GIF animation commands are embedded into the "Save for Web" section, so you might want to check that.  Wish I could suggest getting a used copy of Photoshop 6.0 or older, but doubt it's worth it considering the minute task you need it for.  -.-

*sighs*

Also wish I could recommend a FOSS alternative, but GIF is largely a proprietary format (still, I think), and so no one can legally design editors for it without risking unnecessary litigation.  ^^'

That, and other free formats live animated SVGs and MNGs could replace them in time.

QuoteReally? Hath I overlookith a mystical ability of thine Goddess?

*Writes out raincheck to hear that whole story*

Sou?  Doubt it really requires a story, you know.  ^__^
I mean she is a goddess and uber magic wielder, so it's easy to assume that polymorphing is not hard for someone like her.  Certainly changing clothings in an instant wouldn't be any more difficult than repositioning her staff.  ^.^'

I also imagine that she can turn into a real owl from time to time, or at least project her consciousness into an ethereal owl, to spy on enemies or just annoy people when she's bored.

QuoteI ain't ever gonna live that down, huh? XD

Not in your life.  ^___^
Now come on, say "ahhhhh"!  ^0^

Quote*runs in real quick to drop off an updated Momonga-tan*

*C-chan nosebleeds profusely*

GWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!  FLUFFIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  ;^V^;

MANY MANY FLUFFLIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  ;^V^;

*C-chan leaps joyfully towards her*

PIGGY NEEDS A NEW PAIR OF SOCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!  ;^0^;

*C-chan -- and attached staples -- get chopped in half by Momonga's tail*

[top half]  Huh?  WAH?!!  NANI?!!!!!  Is something wrong here?  Isn't this a tad messed up....?  X___X

Added after 1 minutes:

Quote-OLPC-tan-
Once again never heard of this system, But she definetly looks the part to be a great teacher/mentor (or sensei)

Oh d00d, if you haven't heard of OLPC by now, you're in the right place.  ^___^
Thanks to my beloved Asus 3ePC, you won't stop to here chatter from me regarding it, the OLPC, and other cheap ultraportable Linux laptops in general...  ^___^

Siya

Quote from: "C-Chan"I've heard though that some limited GIF animation commands are embedded into the "Save for Web" section, so you might want to check that.

*GASP!*  The Save for Web option does have limited animation capabilities!

Quote from: "C-Chan"In fairness, it's been a long while since I've done this myself. However, I do believe posting it here....

http://ostan-collections.net/downloads.php?cat=5

...is the best and quickest option. ^^
I'm probably just blind, but I can't find anywhere in there that would allow me to upload anything.  D:

Quote from: "Gussy Keniiji"be careful Bliss-tan, ya might not wanna latch on to her
I actually have sketches of Bliss-tan fanart lying about, somewhere....

Quote from: "Gussy Keniji"*Gussy Thumbs Up*
Yay!  Gussy thumbs!  *nibbles*

Added after 24 minutes:

The upcoming link is a picture of Marc (the yellow one in my avatar).  It's a bit....macabre. ...just so you know.

It's bloody.

http://siya.deviantart.com/art/Marc-s-Snack-8095415

Tsubashi

You know, this is the problem with going on business trips. When one returns one finds too much amazing stuff to reply to in the miniscule twenty minutes one has after lunch ^.^

So thus I apologize for the vague generalities, but... Hooray for Siya, whose drawings are superbly amazing!!!

About the whole Banner thing, Senpai is entirely correct. Once you upload it, I'll have to approve it, but I see no reason not to. It's just a matter of time, ne? There should be a button near the top of the list that says "Upload file"
Like this

I link the image, so you could just click this one too ^__^

Once again, great job and I'm really sorry for not having time to respond more specifically. Hopefully later, if your willing to wait? ^^'
Gomen nasai!!!
*Bows apologetically*
-Tsu

Siya

Access was denied!  D:

I still can't find the button up top, but I assume that's related to access being denied.

Tsubashi

Hmmm A most perplexing problem. It seems to let me upload just fine (wonder why ^^') so it's uploaded, but I'd like to solve this. I've made some adjustments, so if you could just try uploading something again and let me know how it works out? I'd be much obliged. Sorry for the trouble, Arigatou!

Added after 1 minutes:

Oh! and if you'd like to provide a description, I can put it in ^.^
-Tsu

Siya

Access is no longer denied, yay!  Thanks for everything!

A description?

I guess... "Ghostzilla-tan in one of her own windows"

Bella

Momonga-chan w/ the new socks is adorable :D

And that new header is awesome! I'll have to make a few ;)

QuoteSou? Doubt it really requires a story, you know. ^__^
I mean she is a goddess and uber magic wielder, so it's easy to assume that polymorphing is not hard for someone like her. Certainly changing clothings in an instant wouldn't be any more difficult than repositioning her staff. ^.^'

I also imagine that she can turn into a real owl from time to time, or at least project her consciousness into an ethereal owl, to spy on enemies or just annoy people when she's bored.

*kowtows to Unix-sama in revelation of this new information*

Siya

Please welcome OliveBSD-tan!

I would also like to take this opportunity to make a challenge.  I challenge all of you to design Yggdrasil Linux-tan.  I'm curious to see what people will come up with.  ^_^

C-Chan

Siya-san!!!  Many/mucho/totemo congratulations on posting your first and hopefully-not-last forum header!!!  It is, by far, a jaw-dropping work of art!!!  ^v^

*watches Ghostzilla-tan appear and disappear*

QuoteMomonga-chan w/ the new socks is adorable

*scurries back to Momonga-tan and tugs on her fluffy socks*

GIMME!!!!!!  >v<

Quote*kowtows to Unix-sama in revelation of this new information*

Ehhhh,... no big deal.  You would've thought that one up yourself eventually.  ^^

QuotePlease welcome OliveBSD-tan!

*tsk tsk tsk*  Siya-san, she's very very gorgeous, but,.... this is like your first OS-tan you haven't posted a lengthy description for.  ^.^
I even checked the gallery, but still nothing on the fine young lady.  ^___^
The piggy wants to know so I can properly court this tasty-looking dichromatic girl.  ^.^
Speaking of which, I was originally gonna suggest horns (she is a BSD, after all), but notice that the olive branches already act like horns so to speak.  ^___^

In any event, I see gorgeousness stamped all over this pic!  ^v^

Oh,.. and for anyone wondering what this system is:

http://g.paderni.free.fr/olivebsd/

QuoteI would also like to take this opportunity to make a challenge. I challenge all of you to design Yggdrasil Linux-tan. I'm curious to see what people will come up with.

Oooh,... caught me at a bad time, since I'm in full Response Blitz and will follow up with a quick one-shot featuring a design idea that came to me in a vision a few days ago (it's SOOOOO cool, I can't help but put everything aside to finish it ASAP!  ^v^)

But yeah, when I get the chance, I'd love to help out come up with a Yggy-chan design.  ^__^

Problem is,....

I can't stop thinking of Ah My Goddess every time I hear that name.  ^.^;

Siya

Quote from: "C-Chan"*tsk tsk tsk* Siya-san, she's very very gorgeous, but,.... this is like your first OS-tan you haven't posted a lengthy description for. ^.^
I even checked the gallery, but still nothing on the fine young lady. ^___^
The piggy wants to know so I can properly court this tasty-looking dichromatic girl. ^.^
Ah, gomen, C-chan!  I was getting lazy!
Well, for starters, OliveBSD is a Live CD based off of OpenBSD 3.8 (Open Live BSD).  The only visual link I have to the OpenBSD-tan (by SpaceCoyote) is the blonde hair.  This means she should be pretty secure.  I find mixed reviews on her, so I can't really remark on how well she functions.

Quote from: "C-Chan"I was originally gonna suggest horns (she is a BSD, after all), but notice that the olive branches already act like horns so to speak. ^___^
I had thought of this, also.  In all of my original sketches, I had put the olive branches in the same place, not thinking about horns.  When the idea of adding horns finally occurred to me, I noticed that the olive branches functioned as a more subtle allusion.  I was pleased with it.  Perhaps, if it is decided that a less subtle allusion is necessary, an appropriate tail could be added.  However, I don't think it's necessary.  Her belt incorporates the font used in her official logo.  Speaking of the logo, I was originally going to use the shade of green used in it.  But it was so eye-bleedingly bright, that I knocked it down a couple shades.  There are flecks of the original green still in her eyes.
The circle pieces on her boots (near the ankles) are in reference to OliveBSD's being a liveCD.

Quote from: "C-Chan"I can't stop thinking of Ah My Goddess every time I hear that name. ^.^;
Same here! ^.^