If You could design a OS...

Started by Dr. Mario, June 23, 2007, 09:05:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Mario

Well, you can use fingerprint scanner in place of text password - deters many evil hackers. Also, a bonus - YOU won't have to worry about forgotten password for entry.

Also one of my computer at work have my own OS installed (because of its ability to run Linux and Windows softwares) and I usually use fingerprint scanner (at both POST and password window - yes, the BIOS I made use 100% of GO64 core so it's GUI-based. (Why 64-bit? It's to emulate 64-bit PowerPC - ran Mac OS 9 lightning fast.)

Added after 8 minutes:

Why did Sonata booted up on my home PC so fast? I used a SSD, of course. Also x86 Cell BE (x86 version of PS3 CPU) is to be accounted for.

(I usually use this lightning fast CPU for 3D modeling, video editing, and gaming)
;025 Now, Bowser... What can I do with you...

Smokey

Oh, sweet, that's why i want to kep my OS as simple as possible, i don't want it to waste valuable resources on looking pretty... ^_^
I dont tell you how to tell me what to do, so dont tell me how to do what you tell me to do... Bender the Great) :/
[Img disabled by Fedora-Tan]
Thanks Fedora-sama
Homer no function beer well without (Homer Simpson) ^_^

Dr. Mario

Like Windows 3.1 GUI (or 98SE?) - about my OS?
Too advanced... (BrokenGlass GUI - like Aero GUI in both Vista and 7, only different.)

And I was wondering what to do with Dual-Core PowerPC SoC. Hmm.
Maybe use it in netbook. (If so, I probably would throw in x86 JIT emulator, so I would drool at Windows 7 as it boots up on homemade PPC-based netbook. ^_^ )

My own netbook (I might make) tech spec:
MC8640D 1.25 GHz (DC)
2GB DDR-II 800MHz
GreenOmega 32 - based boot firmware
64GB SSD(?)
TFT OLED screen

Added after 13 minutes:

And the rest I will deal with later. Like trying to find AMD Radeon 3400 chip itself (just want it to be as small as possible.)

Also the PPC embedded CPU has dual channel DDR-II controller so I might be able to max out 32-bit RAM memory address (4GB) so I can open sh*tload of programs on either Mac OS 10 OS or Windows XP / 7 on it. (I have both Mac OS 9 and 10 OSes - it will run natively and unmodified on this CPU.)

Smokey

If you want tiny, wait untill AMD releases their Fusion cores, they combine CPU and  GPU on the same die...
Well something like 3.1 would do fine. (with updated support for 24-bit colour and a nice wallpaper) That reminds me of my update from Win2kSP4 to XP, i thought XP didn't look serious enough and that all those colours and stuff were completely unneccesary... I thought: what is this, M$ My First OS?, aimed at children?
I dont tell you how to tell me what to do, so dont tell me how to do what you tell me to do... Bender the Great) :/
Thanks Fedora-sama

Dr. Mario

Well, unfortunately, the first Fusion won't have GPU and CPU on the same die (due to sucky memory bandwidth from even DDR 3)

And the GPU in Fusion is only aimed at graphic acceleration (like Blu-ray Disc video file preprocessing, for example), not displaying anything.

And AMD will actually make a Fusion die unlike the first one (first Fusion CPU have two dies, while future Fusion 2G have only one.) that will actually be made on 32nm HkMG process (not on SOI anymore from this point) and will support XDR.

Added after 9 minutes:

Or would it still be made on 45nm? Damn it, too much technophile crows are flying in a circle around AMD, giving away too much informations, which unfortunately, aren't correct.

Caa! Caa! Caa! Itantic is sinking! Caa!

Smokey

Well at least it's good to see AMD still coming up with new and fresh ideas...
Thanks Fedora-sama

Dr. Mario

True. (which Athlon 64, being like PowerPC 970 on steriod, perform better in many area of data processing than Intel CPU [which is CISC]. Yea, you read it right - Athlon and Phenom both are Load-Store RISC, which put it in the same league as ARM, MIPS, and PowerPC.)

Smokey

Suweeet! I never was an intel fan since i found out that at one time an intel processor calculated 6*6 as 6+6+6+6+6+6 where an AMD would simply do 6*6 as 6*6...
Thanks Fedora-sama

Dr. Mario

Yea. I'm a different story - I have been hardass Intel fanboy since 12 year old until at age of 18, someone introduced me to AMD world by giving me a used Athlon XP CPU and I ran Windows Vista, it performed better than I expected, so two months later, I got Athlon 64 Venice - I immediately fell in love with this CPU, because it not only performed better, it's also easier to program. (I'm 21 now... So it have been only 3 year.)

Added after 21 minutes:

Also too bad K5 and K6 never had its chance to shine, thank to shoddy FPU works.

But time have changed, Athlon was given a 128-bit VLIW FPU, which make Pentium 3 look like a i486 DX CPU.

What about Phenom? It's blessed with PowerPC FPU, being 512-bit VLIW (128-bit math), so it's a silicon-based demon. You would be able to do Prime95, ending up with more than few primes. (How did AMD get a piece of PowerPC technology? Easy, IBM's still working with AMD.)

Smokey

Yeah, i still remember AMDs Durons were better and cheaper than Intels Celerons... And of course AMD was the first with a 64-bit CPU wich also worked on 32-bit, where intels 64-bit CPU was more like a PentiumMMX while working in 32-bit mode...:D
Thanks Fedora-sama

Dr. Mario

I also have heard of nasty remark on Pentium 4 "PresHot" (Just kiddin' - Prescott - it had so much promise, only to be f***ed by Intel.) and Core 2, by fact that it simply refused to enter Long Mode. (Hey, just blame it on chipset!) It, however was fixed by being given QuickAssist and internal on-die DDR3 controller.

And I think AMD's heading for trouble - Mangy-Cours, being of MCM design, I think, should be a native single-die 12-core CPU. With MCM, it could lose 40 to 60+ GFLOPS over a useless design.

Added after 13 minutes:

(C'mon, AMD! Intel already tried it and look at what happened to Core 2 Quad, MCM turned it into shitwreck. Intel learnt a valuable lesson never to rely on MCM design ever again.)

Putting it into prospective; Mangy-Cours, MCM ver. will eat 140 watts, while native 12-core version will only eat 80 watts - taking EVERY single voltage rail lands (pins) on this CPU, into account. The same thing with Core 2 Quad.

Smokey

Meh, not as bad as a screwup as intel's HyperThreading attempt: It was an invite for malicious software and other attacks, because they could piggyback on legit software (or something like that, been a while since i read about it)
Thanks Fedora-sama

kaineru

Why not try to create Altimit?

Smokey

What, from .hack? have to watch that one first... But from what i've read it does sound like fun, but then again creating such a worm and becoming the dominant OS in the world by force is much like M$...
Thanks Fedora-sama

Dr. Mario

Possible. But from my observation on .HACK movie I borrow from my Japanese friend - it's pretty much a modified Linux OS. (Eyes never lie. I have experience f***ing around with Linux and my GreenOmega is based on it [not kernel, it was my idea, though] - ran KDE and Gnome fine, which are either loaded in GO-JET command engine console)

It's still awesome, though.

Added after 23 minutes:

How did I do it? I first assembled those desktop packages in native Linux format then did this command (Example - running KDE on GO64):

mov RAX(‹ref›)**** [000034]
bin_org0047 ****‹ref›EXECUTE_PAGE
LOAD: [C:/GO64/MISC/KDE/bin/kde34.bin]

the word ref in light arrow indicate the Japanese symbol Reference. (I used several other Japanese electronic symbols in GO-JET, making programming easier hence word JET stands for Japanese Electronic Teletyping - a command format I use - MS-DOS/NT command works fine too)