If You could design a OS...

Started by Dr. Mario, June 23, 2007, 09:05:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Mario

If you can't trust the forum, just PM me. I will give you E-mail address when it's necessary.
;025 Now, Bowser... What can I do with you...

Smokey

probably better, don't want to bore the forum... and it will be Nej safe then, since he is on some crusade of flame...
I dont tell you how to tell me what to do, so dont tell me how to do what you tell me to do... Bender the Great) :/
[Img disabled by Fedora-Tan]
Thanks Fedora-sama
Homer no function beer well without (Homer Simpson) ^_^

Dr. Mario

Red-Machine

If I could design an OS, I'd prolly take ME and make it into the OS it should have been.  And also give it full DOS mode support.  DOS games FTW!

If not, I'd at least base it on the 9x series.  They have so much promise as gaming platforms these days as they allow direct access to hardware, whereas NT-based OSes have to wrangle their way through the highly-beuracratic hardware abstraction layer.

And another thing, I'd try and blast my way through DOS's upper memory limit.  I WANT 2GB FOR MY DOS GAMES, NOT SMEGGING 1MB!!!!!!!
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

Smokey

hehe, 128bit DOS with GUI.... would pwn... :D
I dont tell you how to tell me what to do, so dont tell me how to do what you tell me to do... Bender the Great) :/
Thanks Fedora-sama

Dr. Mario

I have done it once with another version of GreenOmega 32 OS I made. What I did was to remove file: EMM386 and HIMEM and wrote a script to fool WinME into thinking it's already installed - only GO32 kernel's own. And MS-DOS runtime's natively emulated (FreeDOS plug-in I made) - I also have attempted to run Windows 3.1 in Long Mode (interpreted on-the-fly) with GO64 kernel.

Smokey

Ow, sweet...
Gawd, i really need to get my shiz together, since i now have two projects, wich i can combine really well, though...
Thanks Fedora-sama

Dr. Mario

Bingo. Also I hope your projects are coming together well.

BTW, getting Windows shell to run on other OS kernel like what I did is considered "Programmer's Nightmare." - therefore it's not easy.
I had to make a JlT (Just-In-Time) compiler with both GreenOmega and WINE source codes - to even try run Windows 3.1 in Long Mode (64-bit mode). If you want to pull it off with your own OS, you might want to do the same.

Smokey

Oh, no... i'll first try to get a command line up and running.. if i nail that i'll look at getting a GUI...
Thanks Fedora-sama

Dr. Mario

Oh, that's alright. Learning experience never stops there.

Smokey

Jup, and while i'm learning, i'd rather go slow and do it right than go quick and mess half of it up......
Besides if i get an text-based OS working, i can try to adapt it for server use, or beowulf use... When i can get my OS to handle a beowulf, that would ease programming on a custom system...
Thanks Fedora-sama

Dr. Mario

Oh, like self-learning driver system. I have it in my OS, surely useful as hell.

I also have a server with GO64 (I made for server - chock full of useful programs like AI anti-virus and smart file recover software.)
The File System on GO64 SSD is formatted with ATFS (Advanced Technology File System) - that is, ATFS-2G (1,024-bit Random Hash Cluster encryption with Dual Linear Cryptography Hashing [totally unbreakable.] AND improved support for different FS in the same volume table)

Smokey

Good idea, i need to incorporate encription on my FS, preferably a 1kbit too...
Would an encryption work if it had a key wich changes every hour in a list of 168 pre generated keys according to a set pattern?

That, plus dual security card checks to boot and load the OS... ^_^
I love me some hefty security, i can really go overboard on it (above is kinda tame, i can go all out but that would be insane ^_^)...
Thanks Fedora-sama

Dr. Mario

Fine for regular hard drive and Magnetic RAM SSD. Flash version SSD won't like it because when the encryption keys are being constantly changing, it will overwrite it more than once, which account for flash transistor rots.

I usually kept some key on PC memory module (changes every 100 milliseconds due to OS improvements.) - the password keyword is divided into two keys (using 256-bit hexadecimal hash I developed - both key, although the original password is the same, aren't the same.)

Smokey

Cool system, and i am now very happy i'm going to use HardDisks... ^_^
But as i progress, i think there will be added features, like physical keys for case access and power up, fingerprint scans, PIr sensors and laser sensors in the case etc... :D
Thanks Fedora-sama