What computer/OS are you using?

Started by Bella, April 16, 2007, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nichi

I heard the i9's only real benefit is for video editing and 3D modelling; stuff that's very heavy on CPU usage. TBH, I don't see much of a need for it over the i7 for your average user (In fact, I'm fairly satisfied with the i5 in my iMac; it may not be quite as strong as the i7 that was in 2k 1.0, but it's leaps and bounds beyond the AMD-A4 that was in 2kME).

EDIT
So, I finally replaced the glass on my iMac. I'll post the pics later to show it off :3
Also, Sara (My iBook G4) has seen a resurgence of usage since I got my iMac, and more importantly, that FireWire cable; it's so much faster to take Sara somewhere, download stuff, and then use Target Disk to move it all to 2k, than it is to copy to a USB flash drive, and easier than taking 2k over to my sister's house. Also, thanks to TenFourFox, Leopard is still pretty capable in regard to basic web browsing

Bella

Glad you got your iMac back together!

Dang, I didn't even know you could install Leopard on an iBook G4.

Nichi

Yep; Leopard was the last release of OSX to support PowerPC. It's a little slow in some regards, but it's not much different than my iBook G3 running OS9, and in fact, they both boot up in roughly the same time.

Now, some pics to show the progress of my iMac, from arrival to now:

- The previous iMac: Bulbasaur, my bondi blue G3, and the fleet's first ever Mac [2010-2011]...although I nearly had a Mac SE and an iMac G4 a few years prior.

- Beginning of 2k-tan V1.7: Glass shattered in shipping (Was chipped at the edge in the auction photos), no OS installed, refused to connect to wifi, but everything else functioned.

- Vintage and modern collide: Broken glass removed and disposed of. Sonata [iBook G3] connected to internet over ethernet, functioning as an unsecured wifi hotspot; iMac connects to it with ease and successfully enters OSX Internet Recovery...but fails because I never purchased Lion.

- One trip to SimplyMac specifically to get a FireWire cable later...: Fuuka [Mac Mini] being used as a boot drive via Target Disk Mode. Runs Snow Leopard, but had a bootlegged Lion installer from when I was setting up Asagi II years ago; allowing the iMac to boot independently. iMac is officially given the name "Fuuka2k-tan". Bonus pic of how I loaded it in my car; yes, I did buckle it in to keep it from sliding around.

- "Mac? PC? I'm both": Windows 7 installed via Boot Camp, upgraded to Sierra from Lion, and rainbow Apple logo decal added to the front. That means I lose IR remote functions...but I pretty much never used that feature on my older Macs, so it's no big loss.

- Completed: Glass installed. I plan to eventually get an external drive specifically for it, too

- Bonus pic of an iMac G3 I saw at Goodwill, the day I got the FireWire cable. They also had a few PowerMac G4s; two of the original model, and two Quicksilver models...and I wish I had bought one of them, as by the time I finally decided to just do it, they were gone.

stewartsage

That came out really good looking, Pent!  Excellent work.

Bella

Seconding Stew - great work getting 2K-tan V1.7 restored!

Dr. Kraus

Good work there Pent!

I got dumped a couple of somewhat older Dell Inspirons into my hands and now I'm just figuring out what to do with them.
One has a Pentium in it so I'm probably just going to install either Win7 or WinXP on it for legacy stuff like quake and diablo 2.
Other one we have had around the house for a while and its got an early gen core i5 in it, I can probably use it for hashing but I'll only be getting around $0.15 a day off of it so not really that great.

I'm waiting for a decent Pentium 4 machine to walking into the recycle pile at work soon enough so I can make that into either a win2K legacy machine or another WinXP one.

After watching Lucky Star again, I've really got a earning for the "old" days of windows xp that were really enjoyable for me.
Windows 10 is pretty nice and the features that it brings to the table like the automatic driver installation, auto network printer detection, and moderately okay legacy support keeps me content.

Maybe its not so much the software that I miss but the communities that were around at the time that I enjoyed visiting and all the time I spent on sites like 4chan just laughing at the craziness that went on.

Most of the old guard of the internet has left us and the new generation moving in really isn't sitting well with me in how the internet is shaping to be thanks to them. To much politics, to much bickering that stems from so much IRL things. I miss the good 'ol days when I could jump into a random forum and just see people bickering about the newest 480p torrent of anime that was being seeded through the IRC channel.

Oh well, I can just go back to winXP and boot up Diablo 2, the servers are still up anyway.

Glad that this place is still around even though we had that little scare not to long ago, I hope to see us stick in our corner of the internet for a long time to come.

LeaflameSD

Quote from: Penti-chan on June 09, 2017, 09:08:23 AMI heard the i9's only real benefit is for video editing and 3D modelling; stuff that's very heavy on CPU usage. TBH, I don't see much of a need for it over the i7 for your average user (In fact, I'm fairly satisfied with the i5 in my iMac; it may not be quite as strong as the i7 that was in 2k 1.0, but it's leaps and bounds beyond the AMD-A4 that was in 2kME).
the i9 is a meme, simply put

Goujer (she/her)

TenFourFox keeps my PowerMac G4 alive! And a hex editor I use for hacking it!

I have socket 478 Pentium 4s coming out of my ears! Please take them they are all less than 1.5GHz clock speed though!

Nichi

^ I nearly bought a PowerMac G4 the other day at Goodwill; they had 4 of them, $10 each (Two of the earlier graphite model, and two Quicksilver models). I was on the fence, since I was still in the process of fixing up my iMac, but by the time I decided to just do it and grab one of the Quicksilver models, all 4 had sold.

Goujer (she/her)

I don't think I've ever seen a Goodwill with a computer in it. Which is probably good for me as I would impulse by some old Mac everytime I went. I kind of hate Apple but I have a weird soft spot for collecting their old hardware.

Nichi

The larger Goodwill about an hour away has a corner called the "Computer Center"; where they sell refurbished Dells and occasionally have used stuff for sale (Generally, fairly cheap; bring your own hard drive). It's hit and miss; generally you'll mostly see gutted Dells that barely have enough pieces to work with, but occasionally something cool slips through the cracks, like the aforementioned PowerMac G4.

The one in my hometown only has a shelf with some Dell keyboards, and nothing else of note.

Hālian He/him

I mainly post from Stillstorm, a hackintosh with the following parts/specs:

<CPU> : <Intel Core i3-7100 @ 3.9 GHz>
      <Motherboard> : <Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H>
           <Memory> : <Corsair Vengeance LPX 8 GB DDR4-2400>
          <Storage> : <Crucial MX300 275 GB SSD>
          <Storage> : <Seagate Barracuda 3 TB HDD>
    <Graphics_Card> : <MSI Radeon RX 570 4 GB>
             <Case> : <Antec VSK3000B U3>
     <Power_Supply> : <EVGA 500 W>
 <Operating_System> : <Mac OS X 10.14 Mojave>
 <Operating_System> : <Windows 10 Pro>
         <Keyboard> : <Bohoo X9>
            <Mouse> : <Logitech MX Master>
       <Headphones> : <Logitech G430>

I also have my primary laptop, Moonglow, which also runs Windows 10.

Nichi

Nice. TBH, I've recently revived some old members of the fleet, so it'd be pretty lengthy to go over all of them xD

My main project at the moment is upgrading and repairing the old family PC from my childhood:

The Yeti
Model: NEC PowerMate VP75
CPU: Pentium (200Mhz)
RAM: 32MB
HDD: 6.8GB

I just finished treating the case for rust (Due to a pipe busting and leaking into the room I had this stored in), and finally have it put back together. The hard drive, though, is on its last legs, so I'm going to replace that soon.

Nichi

Well, I had a lengthy post on my entire fleet, but I accidentally closed the tab and lost everything. So, just focusing on a few more right now:

Nanami2k-tan [2k-tan the Desktop V1.8]
Model: Custom
CPU: Core i7 [3.5Ghz]
RAM: 12GB
HDD: 500GB
(My daily driver)

Asagi IV
Model: ThinkPad T420
CPU: Core i5 [2.5Ghz]
RAM: 8GB
HDD: 320GB + 500GB
(My main laptop)

2kME-tan [2k-than the Desktop V1.5]
Model: Custom
CPU: AMD-A4 [2.5Ghz]
RAM: 8GB
HDD: 160GB
(Revived older build of 2k, that I use for fun. I tried to get Windows 2000 on here natively xD)

Penti-chan
Model: Unknown/custom
CPU: Pentium MMX [233Mhz]
RAM: 72MB
HDD: 13GB
(This one's built for old DOS/Windows games, but I also use it to make archival copies of old floppy disks with WinImage)

MechaNebula

Casual member