What computer/OS are you using?

Started by Bella, April 16, 2007, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chocofreak13

i like it, honestly. makes me nostalgic.

@Dustii:
Quote from: DustiiWolf on August 02, 2015, 06:23:03 PM
I.E Edge is if IE lost a lot of weight and worked more like Google Chrome,

i read this as smoked.

new headcanon: Edge-tan is a heavy smoker to keep her weight down and seem cool to the kids.

also, MS USED to know how to recycle features. Cairo was scrapped but a lot of her functions/features were worked into future releases. i think they've abandoned the idea because they're more concerned with speed and the bottom line than with user experience and functionality. a shitty product model, if you ask me; if they keep this up they'll run themselves into the ground. :\

also, i think i accidentally broke my IE release by uninstalling some updates for it during the virus scare a few weeks ago. maybe i should reinstall, maybe not, we'll see. :\
click to make it bigger

DustiiWolf

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on August 03, 2015, 11:10:00 AM
i read this as smoked.

new headcanon: Edge-tan is a heavy smoker to keep her weight down and seem cool to the kids.

lol

also, MS USED to know how to recycle features. Cairo was scrapped but a lot of her functions/features were worked into future releases. i think they've abandoned the idea because they're more concerned with speed and the bottom line than with user experience and functionality. a shitty product model, if you ask me; if they keep this up they'll run themselves into the ground. :\

I think Microsoft can't handle failure. Whenever a product works you'll see it's features make it's way into future versions. I.E:

FeatureFirst AppearedContinued use
Enhanced Start MenuWindows XPWindows 7, Windows 10 [partial]
Ribbon ToolbarMicrosoft Office  Office 365, Windows Explorer
Grouped iconic taskbar  Windows 7Windows 8, Windows 10

It's when it fails you see Microsoft abandoning it. They are quite literally trying to forget these products, but are abandoning burying the few shining features about them in the process. I.E Zune desktop application, KIN Studio, KIN Spot, Windows 8 Charms, The entirety of the Metro design principles (These were dead with Windows 8), etc.

Microsoft doesn't know how to learn from past mistakes, to put it another way. Sure, they'll do something similar, but it's never quite as good as the original.

also, i think i accidentally broke my IE release by uninstalling some updates for it during the virus scare a few weeks ago. maybe i should reinstall, maybe not, we'll see. :\

Virus scare? Also, why would you uninstall updates if there was a virus scare? (Those usually are the things that patch the very holes being exploited in these cases)
Official -tans are my bat signal.

Ghost Member

They also used to have a powerful free image editor better than paint but they throw away.

Chocofreak13

@dustii: i was also trying to get rid of the "GET WINDOWS 10" icon, so i likely just nuked it there. i was trying to uninstall IE entirely and got rid of the update before i learned that some background programs literally REQUIRE the use of IE and can't be switched to other browsers (even if they're more secure...).

the virus scare was something unrelated. i have since switched antivirii providers.

they may have gotten rid of some features due to unpatchable security holes. s'why they did away with the sidebar, i heard. too bad. :\
click to make it bigger

Nichi

@Kari: Odd that some require IE; I removed it on 2k, with my browsers of choice being SeaMonkey (main) and Firefox (secondary), with no issues...beyond when I tried to apply for one job, and it outright demanded I apple for the position using IE6 on Windows XP, or else my application was null and void :\

Chocofreak13

weiiiird. but i've had that happen (only with Linux vs Windows). :\

idk why i can't switch, maybe i didn't investigate enough. it was stuff like Windows Update and whatnot. :\
click to make it bigger

Goujer (she/her)

I always keep Internet Explorer around just in incase Firefox goes to crap some how. I used Internet Explorer for the longest time because I was a patient guy and it did what I wanted it to. Then someone showed me Firefox and Chrome and I was like "woah, way past fast bro, totally cool!"

Chocofreak13

i already have Chrome AND Firefox....i feel like 3 browsers is getting a little unnecessary. :\
click to make it bigger

DustiiWolf

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on August 03, 2015, 07:56:19 PM
@dustii: i was also trying to get rid of the "GET WINDOWS 10" icon, so i likely just nuked it there. i was trying to uninstall IE entirely and got rid of the update before i learned that some background programs literally REQUIRE the use of IE and can't be switched to other browsers (even if they're more secure...).

You could of just hid the icon, or closed the process in task manager followed by disabling the autorun task in Task Scheduler that enables the Windows 10 wizard in the first place. You can also safely remove IE through "Turn Windows Features On or Off" under "Programs & Features" in control panel. (Assuming this is Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 we're talking about.)

Quote from: Penti-chan on August 03, 2015, 09:52:38 PM
@Kari: Odd that some require IE; I removed it on 2k, with my browsers of choice being SeaMonkey (main) and Firefox (secondary), with no issues...beyond when I tried to apply for one job, and it outright demanded I apple for the position using IE6 on Windows XP, or else my application was null and void :\
Quote from: Chocofreak13 on August 03, 2015, 10:41:34 PM
weiiiird. but i've had that happen (only with Linux vs Windows). :\

idk why i can't switch, maybe i didn't investigate enough. it was stuff like Windows Update and whatnot. :\

Some programs use the embeddable Internet Explorer-based "WebView" component to provide web content (as it's relatively simple to implement over a customized webkit {or other engine} solution). As such, if Internet Explorer is removed they may cease to function properly. However, if it is removed through "Turn Windows Features On or Off", I believe most these applications are immune to the removal of IE (though I'm rather unsure; Some are not immune, as Windows will warn that some features rely on the feature and may cease to operate if disabled).

As far as job applications that's a matter of outdated websites meet user-agent sniffing. It's amazing how many companies seem to be unable to detect newer browsers in their job applications. Probably one of the reasons Jobs Brassring has received an uptake in use (at least 75% of job applications I've filled out used that service); It's essentially a customizable wizard template that streamlines building an online job application.

Quote from: Legojer on August 05, 2015, 12:28:33 PM
I always keep Internet Explorer around just in incase Firefox goes to crap some how. I used Internet Explorer for the longest time because I was a patient guy and it did what I wanted it to. Then someone showed me Firefox and Chrome and I was like "woah, way past fast bro, totally cool!"

This is actually why I was a "chrome evangelist" for the longest time. I used to use IE exclusively (even worse was it was IE6), then I came across a chrome variant named "Flock" (a social browser that versions have been based on both Firefox and Chrome) and after that I pretty much installed Chrome on every relative's computer I could get my hands on, and told everyone to stay away from IE.

What changed was when I was in high school (which was online) I was having enormous issue with Chrome one day and spent hours on the phone with tech support and they said to use the newest version of IE for best compatibility. I thought that was silly (IE "is slow and outdated" I thought.), and I couldn't try it anyways as my OEM XP install died and I was on Ubuntu for the time. However, a few days later I was out and about when I overheard some people talking about how Microsoft released a "developer preview" of Windows 8 for free. This delighted me, as I could finally stop using Wine to run Windows apps, and I could do my schoolwork in IE (and use chrome for everything else.).

The developer preview, if you didn't know, actually WAS horrible, but it ran mostly like 7 from a technological standpoint. I started using IE for school and noticed "Hey, there are tabs, and pages load; this is actually pretty smooth!". Over time I started using IE more and more to the point I was using both browsers equally. Down the road, a few previews, and an RTM later, I eventually dropped Chrome altogether as it had became quite the resource hog and was constantly having pages dies ("It's dead, Jim!", "Oh, snap!"), not to mention was rather sluggish when it was operating normally. From then on I used IE exclusively, and still to this day.

Nichi

Sounds like me, although I tended to flip-flop between Netscape and Internet Explorer during my earlier days browsing the net. The last time I regularly used IE as my main browser was with IE5; I did use IE7 briefly and liked it, but mostly as a secondary browser, since I had discovered the adblock add-on for Firefox and was sold instantly (The ads on GameFAQs tended to be very obnoxious)

Chocofreak13

@dustii: i tried programs and features, it wasn't there.
also, you think i DIDN'T try hiding the icon? try hiding it every time your computer restarts, it gets annoying. >>;

listen, i tried every recourse i could find on google before i tried that. don't assume i didn't. >>;
click to make it bigger

DustiiWolf

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on August 06, 2015, 12:11:03 AM
@dustii: i tried programs and features, it wasn't there.
also, you think i DIDN'T try hiding the icon? try hiding it every time your computer restarts, it gets annoying. >>;

listen, i tried every recourse i could find on google before i tried that. don't assume i didn't. >>;

My apologies. I wasn't trying to assume anything but in retrospect my words sounded as if I did.

Still, the task scheduler route is what I'd of tried (Cant remember where it's at but the icon is activated by a scheduled task; Disabling the task should prevent it from showing.). As far as the "uninstalling updates" route there is a single update that activates the program (it's sole purpose is literally activating the wizard afaik), though I'm going to take a wild guess that you found it(?)

Strange IE is missing from "Turn Windows Features On & Off". I'm going to take a guess and say you wiped IE off your system entirely. You'll need to redownload it from Microsoft (permitting you need &/or want it)

LeaflameSD

for me, Opera was a godsend back when I had a shit-top with 256 megs of RAM and MicroXP. now, I always use Chrome because Opera doesn't display my websites properly anymore.

Ghost Member

Say, this start turn out to be:
"What web browser are you using?" thread.
ROFL  ;D

Nichi

So, apparently the update to Windows 10 is ready to go, and all I have to do is click the button. Going to make a quick backup of my stuff, and then start. Yeah, I heard MapleStory isn't 100% compatible yet, but...

"If it ain't broke, break it" -Meat Loaf