What computer/OS are you using?

Started by Bella, April 16, 2007, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeaflameSD

Forgot to respond to these

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on November 12, 2014, 05:09:24 PM
check your BIOS and make sure that the CD is set first. also check that your computer can use the disk you're trying to use (i'd be surprised if it didn't, given that you likely burned it from that computer).
I do have my BIOS configured like that, but what's weird is that it doesn't detect the CD and just boots straight into my desktop. I even checked the writable CD for scratches and shit, so I'm at a loss here.

Quote from: stewartsage on November 12, 2014, 09:13:23 PM
My advice?  Just download UNETBootin.  It's a lot easier to make a live USB then it is to get a live disk working.
Will look into this.

thx guise, gr8 banter :^)

Chocofreak13

pent managed to get me the file, and i found the .dlls online. everything's good now, but thankyou regardless. ^^
click to make it bigger

Bella

DEAR MAC PEOPLE (Kriz), the more I think about it the more I think this Mac Pro would be a good choice (it's in my budget for a computer [<$2,000], there's little chance I pick up a newer model for ANYWHERE near that price in the foreseeable future, I've wanted to upgrade for awhile now, etc.), now I'm wondering if i should grab it ASAP or wait until Black Friday and see it i can get it for... cheaper.

Does OWC ever have major Black Friday specials on computers? Looking through their past black friday blog postings there seem to be great deals on accessories and whatnot, but the deals on computers themselves seem less clear.

Krizonar

Ah, the one from earlier!
My advice is to wait for Black Friday. Pros do not sell fast (I bought #6 the Apple store in Augusta Georgia has ever sold) so it will be there and, yes, OWC often has sales on computers as well. Black Friday will probably be one of the times they do.

Forgot to mention it earlier, but the Hard Drives in these things are nice, they come with Western Digital Blacks.

Bella

Thanks Kriz, I guess I'll just keep an eye on it and see what happens on Friday...

I should also start hunting for decent-but-low-cost monitors just in case I pick it up. Acer makes a good display, right?

Nichi

I have an LG monitor that kicks ass; I'd suggest looking for one :3

Chocofreak13

LG is decent, and in a pinch a TV will do. most of the people i know with FS monitors are just using TVs, since they're cheaper and easier to get.
click to make it bigger

Krizonar

Any time of course.

Both my pc monitors are acer, so I can say they are alright.

LeaflameSD

Today is the best day of my life:

I found a PC outside in the rain last night, so I decided to rescue it. It's got 4GB of RAM instead of 2, but the extra RAM stick doesn't seem to work.

Chocofreak13

if it was in the rain you're lucky it's working at all. if you have another PC that uses that kind of ram, try slapping it in there. if it still doesn't work, it's just bad ram. if it's working in the other PC, you have bigger issues.

regardless, kickass find, man. be wary of other people for the next two weeks; you don't want to get charged with theft, even if they tossed it out.
click to make it bigger

Bella

Awesome find Leaf. :o

As for computers left out in the rain, my eMac (basically educational-model iMac) was found left in the rain at the dump and I took it home and it worked perfectly fine. :D

Chocofreak13

there was a story at college like that once, but it wasn't in the rain, just in a public park at night with the guts spilled out.
click to make it bigger

Nichi

I've never found a computer left in the rain, TBH :\

Chocofreak13

tbh it sounds like it'd be ruined anyway. i'm surprised you guys have had luck with them.
click to make it bigger

Bella

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on November 24, 2014, 09:40:08 PM
there was a story at college like that once, but it wasn't in the rain, just in a public park at night with the guts spilled out.

Hey, I remember that story. Didn't she scoop it up in a jacket and bring it home?

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on November 24, 2014, 10:13:42 PM
tbh it sounds like it'd be ruined anyway. i'm surprised you guys have had luck with them.

I guess it depends on how well the case / other environmental factors is shielding it from the rain...

I still let the eMac dry out for a few days before i attempted to use it, just in case it'd gotten any dampness inside it.