What computer/OS are you using?

Started by Bella, April 16, 2007, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfonso_rd_30

Chocofreak13

click to make it bigger

alfonso_rd_30

speaking of bitchtunes, yesterday tried to install the most recent version of bitchtunes and I couldn't start the IpodService...

to make short a long story, couldn't start it because I have an older version Portable and it was running a 32bits version of IpodService

Chocofreak13

why not look for an older version of itunes, then? they exist. :\
click to make it bigger

alfonso_rd_30

ciould install it, just had ta close the 32 bits IpodService

Chocofreak13

click to make it bigger

LeaflameSD

I know it's been a short while since someone has posted, but I finally got that eMachines rig restored with Windows XP Home Edition SP2.

Nichi

Cool ^^

I used to have an eMachines desktop, that was part of a project to have a member of my fleet running Linux. It sadly didn't go as planned, although now I use Mint on my laptop

LeaflameSD

@Pent: I was thinking of putting Linux in there, but I just know that the drivers would be a pain to install. What distro did you use?

Nichi

I use Linux Mint. It works great, and seems to have wide compatibility with various hardware, typically detecting everything right at the start

So, I've officially begun a project to build a new PC for my grandma. Here's a rundown of the planned specs:

CPU: AMD-A4 (2.5Ghz)
RAM: 4GB
Video: On-board
HDD: 250GB

It's going to be a very no-frills, no-nonsense PC for her to be able to check e-mail and store genealogy stuff on, to replace this 7-year-old desktop she has at her office. I was originally going to go with a Celeron, but I found the A4 is $10 less and offers better performance, so I'm going for it instead.

For the curious, I went with an MSI motherboard; same manufacturer that made the one for 2k, so I've had good experience with them.

Chocofreak13

WHO WANTS TO HELP ME HACK MY HOME ROUTER
click to make it bigger

Nichi

Sorry that didn't work out :\

So, I'm typing this from Project Philosoraptor (The desktop I'm building for grandma). I'm temporarily borrowing the power supply, BluRay drive, and 4GB RAM from 2k to test it out. So far, I think I need to dig through the options; as the only OSes I've managed to successfully boot is Fedora 15 (32-bit with GNOME 3 not working properly), as it seems to reject Mint 14 (64-bit)

LeaflameSD

Pent... have you tried installing Windows 8 and removing metro?
http://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25534

Nichi

I've never tried it, so I don't know. But, it would have been a nice option when I was tinkering with the consumer preview last year

(After all, I was trying desperately to make the NT 3.51 Program Manager or the 2k Explorer work in Windows 8, to no avail)

LeaflameSD

If I'm correct, the XP and 2000 version of Program Manager should work on Windows Vista/7/8.