What computer/OS are you using?

Started by Bella, April 16, 2007, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NejinOniwa

LAMBDA was never noisy except for when she's on high load, but then you're running her hot on games anyway which means you don't really care. OMEGA is...

I think my computer is a mute >_>
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Dr. Kraus

Why hasn't my SICP arrived from Amazon yet~

So tired of waiting for it~

Bella

Thanks for the input everyone, for some reason the fans don't seem to run at as high a speed when it's unplugged... and I'll try Speedfan, that's one of the programs I looked at but wasn't sure if it was any good or not.

Nichi

So, I've hit a brick wall with Nimue, in terms of what OS to use. It pretty much boils down to a choice of:

- Graphical glitches while doing things that Asagi handled without issue, with Aero enabled (Windows 7)
- So bloated that Firefox crashed on me just trying to type a post for this topic (Windows Vista)
- Never being able to use wifi ever, because XP, me, and wifi simply do not mix (Windows XP)
- Severe graphical glitches to the point it's useless outside of a command prompt (Fedora w\ XFCE)

I really should have done some research on this model before I jumped on it, as everything I listed seems to be a common issue (Well, aside from the whole issue with XP and wifi). I honestly don't know what to do at this point; it may be more powerful than Asagi from a technical standpoint, but that point seems moot when it chokes on things Asagi can do easily. Any advice on what to do?

Paul

Try Ubuntu. It's bloated, but should have great hardware support.
Arch Linux, if you're not afraid to do some tinkering. Extremely helpful and friendly community, good hardware support, FAST!!! Though, you should definitely have some Linux experience for Arch, it leaves everything up to you.

Nichi

Just tested Ubuntu, using a CD I had lying around of a fairly recent version (11.10). No difference from Fedora; the screen is garbled :\

Chocofreak13

i still vote for XP. "me and xp and wireless do not mix" is not a technical issue.
click to make it bigger

Bella

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on August 23, 2012, 10:22:56 AM
i still vote for XP. "me and xp and wireless do not mix" is not a technical issue.

How would you feel if somebody suggested you use Vista, Windows 8 or OSX because you and those OSes 'not mixing is not a technical issue'? You may find no fault with XP, but if Pentium doesn't want to use it, Pentium doesn't want to use it.

I suggest running Puppy Linux on it. Puppy is simple to use, will run on damn near anything (the requirements for Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 is 600mhz processor / 256mb RAM), is Ubuntu or Slackware-compatible, and these days doesn't look half-bad either:

(EDIT: I fixed a couple of spelling errors, derp)

Nichi

About to try that out. I'd give Arch Linux a try, but I'm not really confident in my Linux skills enough to try it ^_^;

EDIT: Oddly enough, I just found that Ubuntu 8.04 will run on it. However, I don't think Firefox is supported on this version anymore, or if I can find compatible wireless drivers, so it doesn't really seem like a viable option

EDIT 2: Puppy seems to be working fine, so I'm likely going to use it

EDIT the Third: Now, attempting repairs on Vista, so I can properly shut it down, so I can reformat, so I can install Puppy. Yay!

EDIT Goes Forth: Ok, am I just an idiot when it comes to non-Fedora versions of Linux, or is Puppy just a pain in the ass to install. I chose to install it to the hard drive, and it looked like it was finished although it didn't pop up anything on screen; no error, no "Puppy is installed! Please reboot" notice, nothing but the desktop. Upon reboot, it went to Vista once more; which is now freaking out over every file on the drive being corrupt or orphaned.

Ugh. Back to where I started >_<;

Bella

It should NOT be that difficult to install Puppy. I recommend downloading Parted Magic (its a lightweight Linux distro used for disk maintenance), formatting the HDD and installing Puppy on the blank drive. I'd give a more in-depth post but I'm typing from my phone.

Krizonar

Quote from: Bella on August 23, 2012, 11:01:05 AM
Quote from: Chocofreak13 on August 23, 2012, 10:22:56 AM

How would you feel if somebody suggested you use Windows 8
Windows 8 is a technical issue.

Nichi

@Bella: As I said, I have no idea what I'm doing wrong; it doesn't look that difficult, yet it somehow isn't working for me. Maybe this laptop just hates everything that isn't Windows XP? (In which case, it's likely going to be sold to a pawn shop at the earliest convenience)

NejinOniwa

I would suggest using Linux Mint. It's a more completely featured penguin than Puppy, which is all nice as a rescue OS but not much else, in my opinion. It also is easier to install, imo.
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Nichi

@Nej: Downloading it now. Here's hoping this pans out well

In other news, it looks like Microsoft felt the need to rebrand themselves because apparently they have such high hopes in Windows 8 being successful:

I mean, what the hell? This looks like something I would have made in MS Paint when I was 5.

Bella

LinuxMint is at least as much of a resource hog as any other feature-full distro. Plus depending on the version, it's derived either from Ubuntu or Debian, so Pent may have the same trouble that he faced with Ubuntu.