What computer/OS are you using?

Started by Bella, April 16, 2007, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chocofreak13

lol. still better than new OSes on the market. :3
click to make it bigger

Bella

Indeed. ><

Well, I'm not sure if Ubuntu's better, but it's a lot cheaper.

Nichi

I think we should create our own Linux distro. Like, build it off of the source code to Fedora *wink-wink nudge-nudge* and roll from there :3

Chocofreak13

i'd use it. :\

provided it could support all the programs i'd need, i'd use it.
click to make it bigger

Nichi

Which is why I suggested using Fedora as a base, since it's one of the big 3 Linux distros (Linux Mint and Ubuntu being the other two, I believe). So, if it runs on Fedora, it'll run on [unnamed OSC-OS] :3

Chocofreak13

but wouldn't Ubuntu be a better choice as a base since it's modern and damn near everything runs on it anyway? or maybe mint due to its backward compatibility?
click to make it bigger

Nichi

True, although I've only crossed paths with one piece of software that would only run on Ubuntu, and that was some shitty software to flash the SSD I gave up on :\

Chocofreak13

i'm just thinking of compatibility issues. if we were to create an osc-centric OS, Ubuntu-based might be best. we use a wide variety of programs, so the most generic might be better.

as tempting as it is to use fedora, isn't fedora more of a CLI type of OS? :\
click to make it bigger

Nichi

Nope. Fedora does offer GUIs, like every other version of Linux. Some examples, the latter being from 2k's former setup of Fedora

But, Ubuntu might be the better option. The main reason I say Fedora is more of a joke, even though it's a great OS
After all, our admin isn't named Ubuntu-tan

Chocofreak13

true dat. -w-

but ubuntu would likely be a better base in reality. i think i also remember hearing that fedora is good for servers vs home use. but i'm probably wrong. :\
click to make it bigger

Paul

I gotta admit I'm neither really a fan of Ubuntu nor do I like Fedora much. Sure those two offer fancy GUI stuff but they're both extremely bloated. Especially the package management of Fedora was sort of a nightmare for me.
My two notebooks are running Arch and I'm really impressed with the speed, stability and quite painless upgrade processes. Also its package management is top notch and there are lots of easy to use cli tools.

Also there are now two new systems at home. two words: HP. INTEGRITY.
To be exact: one rx2600 and one rx4640.

The 2600 has two 1,6GHz Intel Itaniums with 8GB Ram but it currently has a PSU failure.
And the 4640 is a wholly different beast with 4x 1,3GHz Itaniums and a whopping 24GB ram :3

I'm gonna post pics later...

Nichi

Chocofreak13

do eet. :0

eh, is there a distro that would run everything we'd need without being bloatware? :\
click to make it bigger

Chocofreak13

this is why OSCLinux needs to beeee >>;
click to make it bigger

Nichi

If we do design an OSC Linux, what would it be called? Just "OSC Linux", or would we get more creative; say, "ChocOS"?