What computer/OS are you using?

Started by Bella, April 16, 2007, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chocofreak13

always good. :3

which reminds me, once i get the fleet working again, i may ask for reccomendations on what to install on the various systems. once the time comes i'll post more details such as OS (and version or service pack), RAM, and hard drive space, but any suggestions are helpful. :3
click to make it bigger

Nichi

All right. I'll be willing to help, when you do ^_^

Chocofreak13

click to make it bigger

Nichi

Does anyone here have any experience with TV tuners or video capture devices? I'm looking to add one to 2k, but aside from the one Frankenstein V3 has, I don't know much on the subject (Frankie V3 having an earlier ATI All-In-Wonder, which for those who might not know, is a graphics card and TV tuner hybrid).

Basically, if I can hook up my NES and play it using 2k as a monitor, while also being able to still do stuff online, I'd be perfect

Bella

Gonna order a new external HDD to backup my system but don't have much money to spend on it, I'm thinking of either getting this:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/655843-REG/Western_Digital_WDBAAU0010HBK_NESN_1TB_Elements_Desktop_Hard.html

or this:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/744840-REG/Toshiba_E05A100PBU3XS_1TB_Canvio_USB_3_0.html

They're not exactly top of the line, but they're within my budget and seem to have a lot of good feedback. Any thoughts?

Krizonar

Portable hard drives are the way to go and I trust Toshiba. It's a pity they're (those two) only USB powered though.

Bella

Yeah, I'd prefer an AC-powered drive as well, but the only one I found within my price range is this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Essential-Desktop-External/dp/B002JMYCTC

I already have a drive like this (it's a 500GB version) and haven't had any issues with it, but the feedback on it isn't as great as the others... : \

Chocofreak13

I VOTE FOR THE WESTERN DIGITAL~~~

also, have you checked newegg? they have a damn big selection with multiple brands, even having a big selection of single brands. :\

@pentium: i know some cards have built-in hookups for that, sorry i can't be more helpful. :[
click to make it bigger

Krizonar

I had a Western Digital and it did fine.

I also meant "wow, they expect you to back up a whole desktop computer using USB?" in my regards to only USB powered. I'd expect dual USB at least.

NejinOniwa

I vote for seagate, always. <3

ANYWAY, ON THAT NOTE:

TP-link cheapo router or Netgear luxury router? We're finally killing off the shitty d-link we have and buying a new specimen, just a bit of askance which one to take...
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Chocofreak13

if i were you, i'd go with the better quality one, if you plan to use this method of internet for awhile. better to break the bank a little if it's gonna last longer. :\

@kriz: it's hard, but mass file dumps via usb can be done....it's just a pain in the ass. >>; (took me about 4 hours to move one file using usb, but that was largely due to the file size and the fact that it was being moved from one external to another. >>; )
click to make it bigger

Krizonar

Newest addition is my G5 I got for Christmas, who I'll now officially introduce.

It's an ORIGINAL, 2003, "Omega" Power Mac G5 with 2.0 GHz dual processors, it runs a RAID 0 setup on two internal drives and currently has 3 GB of ram (obviously this will be expanded). It has Radeon Graphics.

Since Leopard© and Snow-Leopard© are owned by Bella™ its representative OS tan is Cheetah-Tan, that I used quite often as a child.

Bella

Leopard© and Snow-Leopard© are owned by me™? : o

In light of Kriz's sweet new rig I feel a bit ashamed mentioning this, but: I've decided to upgrade my 2005 HP Pavilion ze2000 laptop (1.6ghz Celeron processor, 256mb RAM, 40gb hdd). Gonna upgrade the ram to 1gb, might get a new HDD but it's not vital (since I plan on using it solely to do simple tasks like word-processing, web browsing, IMing and the like).

Anyone suppose it could run Windows 7 competently? I keep hearing these "WINDOWS 7 RUNS BETTER ON OLD COMPUTERS THAN XP!" rumors but to me they're just that, rumors, especially since MS says 1gb ram/1ghz processor is the base amount for 7 to run. Would 7 *just* be able to run on a computer with those specs? Or would it be able to comfortably run?

Nichi

It should, yeah. Use the Windows Classic interface, and you're golden (The base amount is just for the flashy Aero interface to work. Drop that, and it's more like Windows XP)

Red-Machine

I wouldn't bother, Bells.  It was a bad laptop in its day, it's just terrible now.
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!