What computer/OS are you using?

Started by Bella, April 16, 2007, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bella

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on August 13, 2011, 02:18:59 PM

EDITEDIT: well, i fixed the computer problem i was having with tanky. ^^; but from here on out, no one reccomend me programs unless i ask for it. EVER. >:[

What happen?

Chocofreak13

red, trying to be helpful, gave me a version of skype still supported that was compatible with 98SE. i was grateful, but when i installed it, the program froze up and sent my computer to blue screen jr (twice when it came on on startup). it also disabled the start bar, making it impossible to get to the start menu, access any of the buttons on there, or simply minimize a window. (once one was minimized, it would dissapear.) it also froze up the computer so that once i used an icon on the desktop once, it couldn't be used again. :\

i managed to get rid of it by deleting the program files, but still. no unsolicited software, please! ><;
click to make it bigger

Bella

Oh man. >< How were you able to stabilize the computer long enough to fix it?

Chocofreak13

i had already put the program files in the recycle bin, but was unable to delete it because it was in use. when the computer froze up again, i restarted it manually, and when it was starting back up, something in my mind clicked and said, "it hasn't started yet!! DELETE IT NOW!!" so i rushed to the recycle bin and got rid of the offender. :\

seems to have worked.....
click to make it bigger

NejinOniwa

YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Chocofreak13

idk how to access safe mode.....except after a crash :\

tanky's a bit odd in that respect :\
click to make it bigger

Red-Machine

Press F5 or F8 at boot. i.e. before you see the Windows logo.
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

Chocofreak13

click to make it bigger

NejinOniwa

And the rest of the battle is being good at guessing.

Dr. Kraus

Going to upgrade my current work horse

Currently:
Brand: Gateway
Name: Brooklyn
CPU: AMD Phenom x4 2.20 GHz
Mobo: Gigabyte board
RAM: 8Gb
GPU: EVGA GeForce 9500 1GB
HDD(s): 6 HDDs, 250Gb, 500Gb, 320Gb, 250Gb, 250Gb (1.5 TB overall)
PSU: 500W maybe a 700W? not sure on this one, gonna need to check it...

Now that I think about it, I'm not really going to be upgrading this system. I'm really just building a new computer but stealing some components from this one...

New Work Horse:

CPU: AMD Phenom II x6 3.2Ghz
Mobo: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula
RAM: Same as above.
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 460 Se (Fermi) 1Gb 256-bit
HDD(s): Same as above.
PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series 650W
CD/DVD: Sony Optiarc

Red-Machine

The 460 SE sucks, you should look at getting a 560 ti.  That and the Phenom II X6's barely compare to an original i3 from 2008...

NejinOniwa

I'd say, even better, go with Red Team for the graphics card. More bang for less buck. And providing that Mobo is AM3+ or compatible, you should think about getting a measlier CPU now and upgrade to Dozer next month.

Dr. Kraus

Quote from: NejinOniwa on August 17, 2011, 05:51:55 PM
I'd say, even better, go with Red Team for the graphics card. More bang for less buck. And providing that Mobo is AM3+ or compatible, you should think about getting a measlier CPU now and upgrade to Dozer next month.

Dozer comes out next month? Didn't hear about this, guess I won't be buying anything for a while. I still need to work up most of this money anyway, good thing my dad is letting me start work with him again!

Paul

New laptop:

Name: Cynthia
Type: Lenovo ThinkPad T510
CPU: Intel i5-520M
GFX: Intel integrated GMA HD (measly, but this laptop is for music production, not for gaming)
Memory: 8GB DDR3 from Crucial
HDD: 250GB Fujitsu (will upgrade to a bigger one soon).
OS: Win 7 64 and soon Arch Linux as 2nd (need Win for Ableton)

Very, very pleased with this one. Built like a tank and comes in sexy black ^^
And the "small" battery that came with it lasts over 3h (the big one lasts 6h but is expensive)

Red-Machine

Well, latest benches show Bulldozer getting its ass kicked by Sandybridge.  Sandybridge will be replaced by the end of the year.  Think about that for the moment.